Upgrading from a Lumix LX-5: Olympus XZ-1 or Fuji X10? Hello to all. I like to think myself as an enthusiast photographer, but I am probably just a novice.
My two main uses for the camera are travel shots, and macro shots (more specifically of coins and old documentation relating to them). I have owned Canon G-11, G-12 and Nikon P7000 in the past, and still own an Olympus E-620 with a couple of lenses in addition to the kit ones, including a macro lens. The latter does not get much use because travelling with it is cumbersome.
Anyway, I have settled for a Lumix LX-5 for about a year and find its image quality to be pretty good for my standards.
I am thinking about upgrading it to a camera with better IQ, and am considering the Olympus XZ-1 and the Fuji X-10.
First question: am I considering worthwhile updates?
Second question: How do they compare with each other in macro mode? Any experience on this?
Many thanks!
asked by Carlos Jara Moreno on December 6, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
votes
deeply flawed? maybein 2011....I don't get no flaws....
J. M Ullman answered on February 17, 2013

A
votes
This is a great camera and it takes great pictures. I also have a Nikon D300 (and once upon a time had a Leica M4, so, I am not exactly just an inexperienced amateur photographer) but it's heavy and I am not taking it with me all the time. The Fuji X10 may not be perfect (what camera is? and for that price?) but it's an outstanding camera. Leica feeling. See some of my pictures taken with the Fuji X10 at:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150493916987072.393448.538072071&type=3
J. Santos answered on January 11, 2012

A
votes
Just purchased this camera and it is on it's way. I agree that white disc problem is an issue for some, but after viewing hundreds of threads and pictures, the dynamic range just can't be beat. I tend to shoot nature scenes and family most. I don't often shoot city lights, etc. I have a Nikon D70 that can't come close this camera in low light situations. I agree that the D70 has a much higher IQ, but most of my stuff is web based or 4x6 prints. The firmware fix should only improve the camera's performance. To say this camera is deeply flawed might be a over statement.
Daniel S. Barnett answered on December 16, 2011

A
votes
The Fujifilm is not deeply flawed, and they are releasing software soon. The X10 is a wonderful camera and a joy to hold.
Douglas E. Green answered on December 15, 2011

A
votes
This is an easy one. Take a look at the most recent x10 reviews. It is a deeply flawed camera and buying it now would be strange. At least wait until Fuji has a change to make needed firmware upgrades (which may not be enough) before buying. The XZ-1 has a great lens. And is cheaper. And is a better camera.
Gladius answered on December 10, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›