Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$23.39

on February 12, 2010
I have done computer repairs and upgrades for friends and family for years, but I would get stumped sometimes because I'm not up on the latest hardware. Not only does Scott do a tremendous job of describing all of the parts of a computer, but he has links to a wealth of information that I found extremely helpful about test equipment to do complete diagnostics on a computer, one of which is found at [...]. I am going to order one of these test kits to help me in a computer repair business I am starting for individuals and families that have computers that aren't working correctly and can't afford to pay the fees that the traditional facilities charge, or for those that can't afford to purchase a computer, (Seniors, low income individuals or people who have lost their jobs)I am asking for donated computers that I can rejuvinate and give to those folks at no charge. My sincere thanks to Scott Mueller for writing this series of books. The 19th Edition will give me that extra edge I needed to do a great job for people in need of technology.
on December 27, 2009
Great reference covering the most recent technologies. I've been following the series since the 3rd edition and each one has been worth its weight in gold! If only Amazon knew, I would be willing to pay in excess of $200.00 for this! ;D My personal last edition was the 13th, so this will make a fine addition to the library.

I love how Scott covers the history, and even though there have been complaints on earlier editions of this inclusion of past technologies, it is valuable information.

This edition was a Christmas gift to my brother who is now getting into computer repair. After a few days, he is eating the book up alive! Amazon was great in its shipment and technically was not going to release it until a couple of days before Christmas, however they not only made an earlier release date but got it to me before Christmas. I'll be purchasing a copy for my self after this review!

If your in doubt as whether to purchase this, don't be. This is a very inexpensive way to add to your understanding, what could take you "forever" in your Google searches!
on March 16, 2010
I've been reading Scott Mueller's books for years and they keep getting better. His DVD s are very informative and helpful. The book itself is awesome. I'm always looking up something in it. If you love computers building,repairing and upgrading then this is a must have book. You'll enjoy the DVD s that come with it. If you're a computer geek then this book has to be in your library. I highly recommend this book to any computer geek out there.
on March 4, 2010
This is the best PC hardware book in the world. The fact that this is the 19th edition of this book should tell you something. The photographs and diagrams in this book are excellent. I have yet to find anything concerning PC hardware that was not covered in this book. I like that the author covers the history of personal computers. He also cover PC hardware that is obsolete. I highly recommend this book.
on March 3, 2010
Scott Mueller was featured on PODNUTZ podcast recently. I had forgot how well he explains principles and practices of PC Building and Repair. He is a master. I upgraded my old, worn out 10th edition for the 19th edition. His writing is clear, concise and complete. He is truly the master of this subject and his book deserves a place on every PC builder and repairman's book shelf. His book should also be available for anyone who desires to understand whats happening inside their PC or laptop. Highly recommended.
on June 29, 2011
This book is great for people that actually enjoy learning about computers. If you are being forced to learn about them, and want just the minimum amount of information necessary to get through a class or get a job or something like that, then this book is not for you. This is for the hard core PC geek, that cannot get enough information. I happen to be such a geek, so I love this book, and read it every day.
on May 22, 2011
I've evaluated (borrowed and purchased) several PC upgrade/maintenance books over the years and have taught myself how to do simple to more technical repairs and additions on the computers I've owned. This book is one of the best manuals I've come across on the topic of PC hardware. The video dvd included in this edition makes it especially useful. I had originally assumed the dvd would just be a re-hash of the historical information on all the various computer parts. After I was 3/4 into the book, I decided to view the dvd and was very pleasantly surprised to see that it's an actual demo on how to build a PC from scratch! It's a great introduction and overview for a novice.

One would still have to do the research to determine which motherboard and CPU to buy before building a computer, since the technology standards and product offerings change so quickly! I do not have a computer tech/hardware background but found the explanations and the diagrams easy to follow. The author is clearly very good at teaching the material.

Update 5/29/11:
As I'm finishing the rest of the book (beyond the 3/4 point), I see that Chapter 19 is the section on Building and Upgrading Systems, which may be most helpful for readers after viewing the dvd. Chapter 19 is the 2nd to last chapter of the book.
on July 11, 2011
Haven't read the whole book yet, but I've briefly flipped through many of the chapters, and it covers every topic you can think of. Some components are described in more detail than others. Parts of the book are more history than I'd prefer, since I don't care where processors came from as long as I know how to choose and install them. The book will definately allow you to know more about computers than anyone you know. It's huge. Three inches thick I think? About 1300 pages, plus a DVD with a few hours of stuff on it. It's a great price for the amount of info you get. Came in quick and was in perfect condition (ordered 'New' from Amazon). Definately recommend it for anyone interested in doing anything with computers, regardless of what area you plan on going into, since this is the most thorough and wide-range amount of information that it will give you a foundation of knowledge no matter what aspect of computers you decide to concentrate on.
on October 4, 2015
All the questions you've been afraid to ask get answered here. I've got every edition since the first. Scott Mueller knows whats going on that darn PC and he knows how to pass that information on to you so you can not only understand it, but use it to kick your slow under powered PC back into high gear. Stop getting hammered by a bunch of Geeks who only want to sell you extra junk that won't fix your issues. Fix it yourself the first time and save that cash for a new video card or to max out your ram. No more squads of fools who can't even get their own machines to work like they should. Get this book and a basic computer tool kit (or just use the screw drivers you already own, but get a static wrist strap) and do it yourself then you'll know its done right. Unlock the mysteries for yourself.
on May 17, 2013
I purchased this several years ago, even though this review is a bit behind, this book is still great. I use the book on and off the job. I some times have some odd issues and using this, I can quite often be led to the answer with some careful research.