Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 20, 2011
First, the physical book has a hard cover, quality paper, clear crisp font. I like the 'contents at a glance' along with a detailed contents section. The index seems complete and accurate. Each page has the section description, chapter # at the top, and page # bold/lager font. The book is loaded with useful tables and figures. Many of the tables have expansion of acronyms for quick reminder. Throughout the book are pointers to locations that expand on a specific topic.

Second, the contents are in depth, up to date (as best can be done), and easy to understand.

I have a vintage 2000 Dell desktop system. I planned to use the power supply unit and case for a new build. Thanks to this book, I discovered that the PSU is non-standard and not recommended for upgrade.

If you are interested in upgrading or repairing your PC, get this book. You won't be disappointed.
on October 13, 2011
Fred Sabin (President, New Jersey Computer Club) Review - October 13, 2011

The New Jersey Computer Club (NJCC) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating the public about computer systems, software, and their uses; providing community service to charities and educational groups; and sharing knowledge and social activities with other computer enthusiasts. A frequent topic of discussion, and a major need of our membership, is how to upgrade, troubleshoot, and repair their computer systems. In my opinion, this book continues to be the most authoritative and comprehensive reference on everything associated with these topics. Authored by well-known Scott Mueller and published by Que Publishing, this up-to-date (1081 page) resource book comes with an instructional and reference DVD, including the complete 19th edition of this book. Detailed technical information is very well presented in an easy to read format with extensive diagrams, figures, and tables that both illustrate concepts and organize historical and statistical data for clarity of understanding and ease of use.

There are two main ways of using this book. First, you can utilize it as a learning tool to gain knowledge about an area of interest, such as a particular component of a computer system. Second, you can utilize it as a technical reference, to find detailed information on a specific computer topic or component. Of major importance is the fact that the text covers not only current data and information, but also historical content on older systems and components that may still be in use.

The chapter on "PC Diagnostics, Testing and Maintenance" is of special interest, as troubleshooting problem systems is a significant concern for our membership. The chapter on "Building or Upgrading Systems" is also very important for those who need assistance in replacing or adding system components.

To supplement this book Scott Mueller has a forum website [...], and the Que Store book reference page also has excellent supplemental articles on "Free Tools for Troubleshooting and Fixing PC Issues", "Backup Your Computer and Save Your (Computing) Life" and "Secunia PSI".

I have personally used prior editions of Upgrading and Repairing PCs for many years, and I have always found the content to be very accurate, informative and useful. I have never read an entire book, but I know what is available in each book and where to find it, and when you need the information it is very satisfying to know that you have it readily accessible.

This book is essential for our User Group personnel who provide technical assistance and support for our membership, and it is very strongly recommended to all our NJCC members as a learning and self help tool for their own benefit.
on November 14, 2011
This is an absolutely splendid book. I have used previous editions upon occasion, but since I was about to try my hand at building my own PC, I spent considerably more time reading sections in this new (20th) edition -- which, by the way, is very much up to date. Mueller's book contains an unbelievable wealth of information, much more than any one person is likely to require. But the volume is so well organized and indexed that it's easy to find what you're looking for.

Although professionals will surely find this book indispensable, Mueller's explanations are so clear that they will usually be intelligible to lay readers who have a little background in technology. Moreover, the text is supplemented by an excellent and large collection of photos and drawings.

For any first-time builder, Chapter 19 is especially valuable. Other chapters are very helpful for making component selections. Or, if you're just interested in seeing what's inside the box, this will tell you everything you want to know.
on November 27, 2011
This is my second book by Scott Mueller. My first was the 10th edition. I was just getting in to building systems and the book was very helpful.
I just received the 20th edtion and it is full of great information. This is a must have book for anyone working with computers.
Great service from Amazon.com also.
on October 9, 2011
I have been using Scott Mueller's Books for over ten years.
This is an excellent reference for both the semi-professional and professional IT specialists.
As for the novice, this could be considered a must have resource to research what that PC has under the hood.
on November 25, 2011
I love this book, and will continue to buy the up-to-date version. The cd accompanying the book includes great notes about the history of hard drives, power supplies, and other components of computer hardware.

This is a historical look at the development of the computer, as it continues to develop and grow.
on October 20, 2011
This book is pretty much the definitive source for all things PC. The companion CD contains the most detailed and insightful demonstrations/how-to-videos; you would be hard pressed to find content like this anywhere. Moreover, future-proofing the books content are two additional resources [...] and [...]. It's hard to believe there could be any other resource that can even begin to approach the value of this book and its companion resources.
on October 26, 2011
This is the best source for keeping up with PC technology. You really should build your own machine. You can control the experience and tie it into TV technology. All the knowledge you need is provided by the Scott Mueller series. Do not use general info from the Internet.
on February 4, 2012
If your rusty on PC repair and want to update your knowledge this book is for you. It has been the standard for many years and still does a great job of informing you how the modern computer works and how we got this far. This is one of those must have books.
on September 8, 2011
This book is a must for anyone that wants to learn more about the hardware and their computer than they could possible imagine. I own the 13th edition, and wanted to buy the updated 20th edition. I was not disappointed with the amount of information that was written in the book. I have learned a lot from just reading a few chapters in this book.

The one issue that I did have was the fact that my copy of the book was missing the entire eighth chapter - Magnetic Storage Principles. I don't use any magnetic storage, so it isn't a total loss. The book simply has chapter nine - Hard Disk Storage - printed twice (back-to-back). There were also a few other minor spelling mistakes, but the mistakes don't take away from the good content.

I'll give the book 4 stars mainly because of the missing chapter, which isn't a total loss for me. I would like to give 5 stars simply because of the amount of information that is provided is worth it, but the missing chapter can be an issue for some.
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse