5.0 out of 5 stars Check it!
Published on November 10, 2003 by B. Harms

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic underrated show, sub par dvd release
Published on July 23, 2009 by Patrick Michael Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Check it!, November 10, 2003
B. Harms (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
These people took risks and produced this unusual, exciting and very funny first season. So many laugh out loud moments from strange concepts that come together and really pay off. Every episode is unique. Excellent features as well. The included pilot episode was obviously shot on a smaller budget and some scenes were in front of a live audience which was never the case on the aired episodes. The commentary style varies, for the episodes that include it, from informal "rappin' 'n' riffin'" in front of a live audience that is watching the episodes with them to intimate studio-recorded analysis, but all the commentary is fun and informative. If you are ever in New York City on a Sunday night, come by their theatre and some of the four UCB members and friends will do improv for you. That's like an extra extra feature. The current address and phone number of The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre is right on the DVD box. If you haven't seen the "Little Donny" episode then your money is well spent for that alone. People really love that episode. So will you.

I don't see the features listed on the Amazon copy so here they are:
-The complete first season: "Bucket of Truth", "Poo Stick", "Saigon Suicide Show", "Power Marketing", "Children's Revolution", "Story of the Toad", "Lady of the Lake", "Time Machine", "Cyborgs", and "The Little Donny Foundation".
-Exclusive commentary for pilot episode and the "Cyborgs" epsiode recorded in front of a live audience at the UCB Theater, followed by a Q & A session.
-Audio commentary for "The Bucket of Truth", "Power Marketing","Time Machine" and "The Little Donny Foundation".
-Alternate audio commentary for "The Little Donny Foundation" episode by Little Donny and his parents.
-UCB pilot episode
-Deleted Scene "Highland Epoxy".
-Original live versions of "Little Donny" and the "Andre the Giant" Song.
-Original UCB Trailers.

5.0 out of 5 stars UCB is Supercool!, December 7, 2003
I'm really partial to give this review, being both a huge fan and a student at the UCB theater, but season one knocked my socks off. It has some of the funniest episodes (Poo Stick, my personal favorite Saigon Suicide Show, Cyborgs...) which can be made even funnier by the (oft-censored) commentary by Besser, Poehler, Roberts and Walsh. After being able to watch the episodes over and over again, I never get sick of them - each time I notice a different refrence that went over my head, and laugh at the same jokes even more. The special features are also very funny, from a live, un-pixelated Little Donny sketch in the theater to the "Andre the Giant Song" - there isn't a weak point on the DVD. So until Seasons Two and Three (which I find even funnier!) comes out, I'll be watching Season One over...and over...and over... and I'll keep on laughing.
NOTE TO FANS/POTENTIAL FANS - Apparently Comedy Central is only releasing the next seasons based on the sales of season one, so buy your copy already, for posterity's sake!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMONG THE BEST SKETCH COMEDY SHOWS EVER MADE, November 27, 2003
"nonicknameneededthanx" (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Normally I wouldn't say this, because it makes me look like an idiot to toot my own horn like this (espescially in an online review), but I've been writing jokes for the Onion for the last 13 years, and the only reason I mention that is so hopefully somebody out there will take my comedy opinions a little more seriously when I say: PLEASE BUY THIS DVD RIGHT NOW. Just so there's no mistaking it: THE UPRIGHT CITIZEN'S BRIGADE created some of the most BRILLIANT, INTELLIGENT, SATIRIC comic work ever to appear on television, combining the best elements of live improv (from which most of these sketches were originally concieved) (and which the UCB and friends are the undisputed masters of, btw) ingenious and complex joke structure, great acting/writing/direction, punk/dada subversive absurdism, highbrow intellectual references and utterly lowbrow silliness, creating a mix that is unlike anything that normally gets aired on the too-often formulaic and boring world of television comedy. It was too unconventional for some and indeed when it aired it went over a lot of people's heads, but that was THEIR fault, not the show's, and the subsequent growing cult appreciation has vindicated the UCB's sketch show as a truly wonderful, rare, and special thing. IF YOU TAKE COMEDY SERIOUSLY as a struggling and underappreciated art form PLEASE SUPPORT THIS DVD so we can all convince Comedy Central that the remaining two seasons deserve future DVD releases (and in my opinion, each season just got better.) The UCB ranks alongside Python, the original SNL, SCTV, The Kids In The Hall and Mr. Show... in other words, it ranks among the best TV comedy programs ever made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic underrated show, sub par dvd release, July 23, 2009
This review is from: Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1 (DVD)
The 2003 dvd release has a listed runtime of 292 minutes while this new 2007 edition has only 220 mins. One wonders what got cut. The '03 original contained several commentaries CC apparently took issue with, as well as the original pilot and deleted scenes. It was fairly stacked with features. Looks like this newer version takes away over an hour of them. Too bad. It's a great show, some of the best sketch comedy ever, just try to find the 2003 version if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homebrewer, November 6, 2005
Upright Citizens Brigade features the kind of bizarre scenarios and rampant absurdity rarely seen on television (Since the glorious day's of Monty Python or Kids In The Hall). Here you get two discs that make up Season One (Please release the rest of these episodes).

Disc One
* The Bucket Of Truth (Which has an audio commentary)
* Poo Stick (Which has to be seen)
* Saigon Suicide Show
* Power Marketing (Which has an audio commentary)
* Childrens Revolution
* The Story Of The Toad

Disc Two
* The Lady Of The Lake
* Time Machine (Recorded in front of an live audience at The UCB Theator, followed by an 'Q&A' session)
* Cyborgs (Which has an audio commentary)
* The Little Donnie Foundation (Which has an audio commentary)

You also get an alternate audio commentary for the 'Little Donnie' Episode by Little Donnie and his parents. You get to see The Pilot Episode. Deleted scenes from 'Highland Epoxy'. You also get the Original Live versions of 'Little Donnie' and the 'Andre The Giant' song. There are trailors for The Upright Citizens Brigade also.

It amazes me that four people can do so much (Matt Besser, Amy Poehler, Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh). Much Thanks to Comedy Central for bringing us Upright Citizens Brigade. Folks, you owe it to yourself to click on the 'Purchase ASAP' button and hurry up and buy yourself a copy of this wonderful DVD (Oh Yeah, Comedy Central Please Release Season Two). Updated : Sounds like Season 2 is finally coming out on Sept.18th 2007. I know I will be buying me a copy of this DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 2. Now., November 18, 2004
Are you Comedy Central folks listening? Release Season 2 into the wild. I will give you cash in exchange for that DVD. Real money. I mean it.

3/26/07 EDIT: It seems as though someone has answered...Season 2 looks to be on its way...they're recording the commentaries live this Saturday...Aw yeah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Comedy Central, you TEASE, August 28, 2005
I was one of those poor individuals who had never seen UCB on the television... it would remain some years later until I finally noticed it on the Digital Archive Project. I downloaded, I watched, and then... I waited. After what seemed an eternity, it finally came out! I could finally watch UCB in all its glory with commentaries, and I was happy.

Until Comedy Central failed to release seasons two and three.

So now I ask you, the teases at Comedy Central... what do I have to do?

I've purchased it myself.

I've bought two additional copies as gifts for friends.

I've spread the word whenever possible and taken the painful step of loaning my copy out to others to watch, knowing full well that each time it went out, I might not get it back. I've rejoiced each time it returned, undamaged.

So what am I doing wrong, Comedy Central?

Why do you punish me so?

BRING OUT SEASONS TWO AND THREE!

As another reviewer very accurately noted, the fans will have their UCB. You alone can determine whether you profit from it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars UCB: Chaos Creators... while screaming at it!, October 2, 2003
The Upright Citizens Brigade is one of the most entertaining, intelligent programs that has ever aired on national television. Comedy Central would have been wise to have kept the show on the air. Unfortunately, they did not. But, they are nice enough to release the 1st series on DVD. The show, disguised as sketch comedy, looked at everyday issues and pointed out amusing elements of people trying to make sense of this crazy world. The Bucket of Truth, Tic Tics with Almonds, Little Donny, and Big Red Cat: they're all here. If you don't already know, I had the titular line in "Upright Citizens Brigade. I also had the title line.
If you like Cyborgs, jet-packs, or throwing star sitcoms, you may enjoy this DVD set! But, don't take my word for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it for "Little Donny", November 10, 2003
77Jim (Philadelphia PA) - See all my reviews
I am very glad UCB has been packaged for DVD now. In 1999 as my college graduation lurked around the corner, my housemates and I got hooked on this show and laughed away our remaining days of college bliss. I honestly don't think I have ever laughed harder than when The Little Donny Foundation episode debuted. It is easily easily easily worth 30$ just for this episode alone. If you don't find this show funny, you must not have a soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 21, 2004
I decided to buy the discs based on 2 factors: Pleasant, vague memories of the show during my high school years; and the subtle coercion from one of my best friends. ...
At first, I was a little dissapointed. But as I watched more and more of it, I became aware that I was witnessing an arena of comedy that has really only been visited by The Simpsons, and a few others (perhaps Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, etc...). I love the idea of a secret organization whose avowed mission is to upset the status quo by proliferating chaos. It offers brilliant, often-hilarious insights into such areas as religion, psychology, popular culture, and poo. Granted, some of the episodes and skits are much funnier than others; but that simply shows a greater drive to explore new ideas. Most of their candid camera work (a small part of the show) is very original, and shamelessly executed to near perfection.
The cast is brilliant. These are 4 people who are clearly at the top of their game. They have effectively reduced sketch comedy to a science. Each of their characters (or caricatures) is somehow utterly credible and convincing, no matter how ridiculous they appear. If you are a fan of Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, The Simpsons, South Park, or similar shows - then there's a very good chance you'll enjoy this show. Mad T.V. fans need not apply.
P.S. I have just begun training to become one of their silent operatives.

Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1
Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1 by Amy Poehler (DVD - 2007)
$26.99 $8.46