5.0 out of 5 stars A marketing handbook for the new generation
Published on February 24, 2012 by C.L. Mershon

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but was expecting more engaging
it's an interesting theory but a little but too much marketing himself and the agency...it should be a free book
Published 16 months ago by Eugenio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A marketing handbook for the new generation, February 24, 2012
The dominant marketing philosophies have remained unchanged for many decades. If an organization has a product they must first determine what feature sets the product apart from its competitors. Next they build a thirty second commercial whose sole purpose is to highlight that one feature of the product which sets it apart. The last step is to purchase the best slot on primetime television they can afford and hope the product sells. However with the information age now well beyond its adolescence and with the plethora of social media outlets out there, the marketing game has changed. What has been difficult for me is truly nailing down that change. I know that the "message" distribution methods are different than before and I know that customer feedback can happen at the speed of light, but how does this affect my marketing strategy?

Uprising by Scott Goodson answers these questions and goes one step further by providing multiple case studies and methods for changing our marketing culture.

This book is made up of 8 chapters that I would personally divide into two parts. Part 1 would be the first two and the final chapters. In these chapters the author pitches the big idea which is; the best marketing method for todays social and media landscape is to spark a "cultural movement". He then goes on to list the key differences between sparking a movement and the old forms of advertising.

* Instead of marketing and advertising being focused on "the individual", as they have been for decades, we're entering new territory in which marketers must learn to understand and relate to people in interconnected groups.

* Instead of attempting to persuade people to believe an ad message, marketers must try to tap into what it is that people already believe and care about.

* Instead of being focused on selling, the way to connect with movements is to be dedicated to sharing.

* Instead of controlling the message, marketers must learn to relinquish control and let the movement do what it will with the message.

* Perhaps most radical of all, companies and brands must learn to stop talking about themselves and to join in a conversation that is about anything and everything but their product. Pg. 23

What I would refer to as Part 2 of the book is the middle five chapters in which the author delves into an explanation of his method and practical application for any person or business currently dealing with the subject. It is also in this section that the reader will get more case studies and examples than they will most likely know what to do with. A huge plus in my opinion!!

I spend a lot of my time in the marketing world and have found this book to be an utterly new look at the why and how of marketing. I honestly believe that the methods and theories outlined in this book will be the course work our universities use to train up the next generation of marketers. Well done Scott Goodson.

Do yourself a favor and pick this on up today.

*Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great read - inspirational, practical and highly recommended., April 26, 2012
I finished this book in a day as I couldn't put it down. Being someone that is working on my own start-up in Asia, I found this to be an informative book with precise tips on how to move my business forward in a very positive way. The case studies scattered throughout the book are great examples of how these "cultural movements" have been successful (and unsuccessful) and are to-the-point. Recommended not only to people in advertising/marketing but particularly to those who wish to do their own start-up or transform/update their existing business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning publicity on its head, April 23, 2012
I'm in the midst of getting ready to launch my own book in a few more months, so I've been doing a lot of research on how to get publicity, attract the media's attention, etc. Ideally every author hopes that their book, their baby, will reach a best seller list somewhere. It doesn't really even matter if it's the NYT or the Estonia Gazette!

So, when I was offered the opportunity to review Uprising, my first thought was, I don't have time for this! But the subtitle caught my attention. The book I co-authored is definitely intended to change the world. So, maybe, just maybe, there's some useful information in this book.

I can tell you that I'm exceedingly grateful that I decided to make the time to reach this book. It flips the old publicity paradigm on its head. Instead of making your brand relevant to an existing, trending topic, the focus here is on understanding the needs of the people who will benefit from what your brand does (or in our case, what our book is about), and sparking a movement that meets those needs.

It's a new marketing model that is in harmony with what consumers have been saying for years now. No more bullhorns! You want to sell to me, get to know me! Be part of my tribe! Care about the same things I care about, and I'll buy from you. But you have to come along side me first.

It can be a hard shift to make, but it's an essential one that businesses had better take note of. And Scott's book will help you to fine-tune the process that will help you make that transition. Oh! And if you'd like to read the review I ultimately wrote, you can check it out at [...]

Best wishes for changing your little part of the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing hearts and minds, April 30, 2012
George Orwell famously referred to advertising as "the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket." Many other subsequent commentators have not even been as kind. Advertising and marketing are often seen as cynical ploys, to sell people stuff they don't need, that won't make them happy and will harm the environment in the process. Not entirely without justification.
What this book does brilliantly, is first help to change perceptions of the advertising industry, by positioning it as a force for good; wIth real evidence to prove it, using some fascinating case studies. Then, with the passion of an evangelist, Scott Goodson demonstrates how others not only can follow his lead, but must.
Modern brands have so much power, which if channelled into positive causes, will benefit society and the brands themselves. But this is not simply the latest marketing fad, it is becoming a marketing necessity.
With the exponential growth of online communications and social media, brands have become totally transparent. Everything they do is scrutinised and analysed. Consumers now expect brands to make positive contributions to society. If they don't the consumers will vote with their feet, and wallets.
This book very skillfully shows how brands, and organisations can help people share ideas and start movements, to the advantage of everybody. A revolutionary and inspiring read that is helping to change the face of advertising, and society, for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What does your "brand" actually want people to DO?, April 14, 2012
Reminder: Sayings are called "sayings," cause they are usually true. So, you've heard this one...right? "When the student is ready, the teacher appears."

The same week that I committed to creating, producing and publishing a "TV Show" (as a Facebook community) for interviews called: "The Better Series," I received an email from Scott Goodson. (FULL DISCLOSURE: We exchanged books...I love doing this with other authors.)

I "just" finished reading it today, and I absolutely HAVE to share some of the things I learned from this great book. I'm scoring it a 5 as much for how well it's put together AND for the fact that I know that reading this book has changed my thinking. If you're facing an opportunity in the foreseeable future where you see change coming your way, Get This Book! I have 6 pages of notes in my journal, as well as a few pages marked up in the book. (FYI: the pages that JUMPED out to me were: 15, 18, 22, 33, 48, 56, 75, 77, 86, 90, 115, 125, 159, 190, 224.)

Can I share an example of how my thinking has changed? Ok, start here: Think about what the company you work with "does" for the community. (And, if you work for yourself, think about what YOU do for the community.) I define "the community" as the people I connect with in the day-to-day of my busy-ness. Ok, now that you have that, flip it around and ask: "What is the community worried about?"

This "flip" of focus has given me a solid idea on what I can do to change one of the marketing programs we're just about to launch on three continents!

Before you go, here are THREE reasons I recommend this book:

1. The case studies are FASCINATING. What Scott has done to share with us the actual, tactical, ground-level-and-up thinking and acting that went behind the movement-making that he was a part of is genius. Just reading the case studies has made me look at newspapers, movie advertisements, keynote speeches...almost everything a little bit differently. It's great to see what other people have done.

2. Talk about checklists... As I was reading, I started a list of what I can do to increase MY OWN company's engagement (our staff, our vendors, our clients...) in our purpose. As you read Uprising, keep a pen and notebook nearby, then...put into action what you do write down.

3. The "game changer" of the book came to me at page 125 (of the hardback version). There is a diagram (ok, he calls it a figure) titled, "Find the Truth in Your Brand." Then, Scott shares some fundamental questions that I'm making it a mission to answer. Here are two of them:

+ In what ways does your company actually affect people's lives?
+ What does the company believe in?

Finally, let me leave you with the part that got me wanting to read this in the first place; it was the last line of the Acknowledgments: "Here's to all the passionate souls out there who are sparking movements big and small and making a difference in the world."

That's YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, March 24, 2012
A must read for anyone working in marketing or advertising. Cultural Marketing is the future of advertising, Goodson outlines how to take advantage of this trend and build a strong brand in a competitive marketing environment. Buy it Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars UpRising, March 24, 2012
This book is a must read. Scott Goodson is a pioneer. He knows what hes talking about! Strawberry Frog is one of the best ad agencies in the world. I'd only dream of working there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, February 25, 2012
For anyone still in the learning stage -- and shouldn't that be all of us? -- this is required reading. Our mission should be to solve problems in astounding ways; this book offers insights into the core actions of making meaning via organizational culture, platform ideas, and holistic approaches to educating clients and consumers.

Read it. It's where we should be going.

4.0 out of 5 stars a thorough look at a rising trend, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements (Kindle Edition)
Goodson uses his expertise and experience to craft a thoughtful, thorough examination of movement marketing. Using his experiences along with those of international brands, he explains the movement marketing dos and don'ts for people of all experience levels. A good, fascinating read with lots of case studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the book, April 7, 2014
One of the primary reasons of this book's success is that Scott Goodson is an advertising entrepreneur of this generation. He clearly understands the language today's brands speak. Lot to learn from this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›