‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a relief: A Sales Approach that I feel great about, June 16, 2012
This review is from: Upside Down Selling: An Integrity-based Sales Approach to Avoid Being Predictable (Kindle Edition)
This book was a relief... I have been struggling with my approach to sales for years because of how I feel about the process. Ian Altman lays out a solution-focused approach to selling that is much more natural than anything I have seen, and the book spells out tactics to follow through and get results. I started using the "i3" framework immediately and it has transformed my sales conversations and is getting results.
I recommend this strongly to anyone who should be selling more but feels conflicted about it - help is on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for any business owner or executive - especially service providers, June 19, 2012
If you walk into any law firm, defense contractor, consultancy, etc., you'll see an army of incredibly competent professionals who are massively underused as a business development resource. The best people in a services company to identify customer issues, and then help those customers understand that your firm can help them with those issues, are the very professionals that you have working closely with that customer. In my ten years as a defense contractor, working mostly onsite with our customer, I never once received training on how to identify opportunities and turn those opportunities into new business - and I've worked for both small and Fortune 500 companies.

Certainly I learned some things along the way, to the point where business development consulting is one of my practice areas, but what a wasted opportunity. In his book, Altman presents a rational process to leverage the untapped sales force in your company. It's unfortunate that a rational process needs to be named "Upside Down Selling," but as soon as you read this book you'll agree that Upside Down is actually right side up. What your company has been doing all along is most likely upside down.

A quick read that you can finish in 30 minutes, Altman avoids the "filler" and just gets right to the point. Full of actionable, step-by-step plans, "Upside Down Selling" is simply a must read for any business owner or executive.

Ingar Grev
Business Growth Adviser
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, June 19, 2012
This is an invaluable resource. I will come back to it again and again. Ian Altman knows his stuff and shares his knowledge and experience for the benefit of his readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selling Done Right, June 19, 2012
I've never been a big fan of selling. It felt too much like a contest between the buyer and the seller. And what if the buyer didn't really need what I was selling? I wouldn't feel good at all about selling in that situation. Ian's book turns the traditional selling mindset on its head, just like the title implies. Instead of "selling", I can solve problems and meet needs instead. His book has totally changed my attitude about selling. I'm excited about it now - to the benefit of my company and my clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns selling on it's ear, June 15, 2012
T. Cooper (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Does your picture of selling look like the slicked back hair, cheesy sunglasses, tacky sportcoat and cheap shoes of a guy who is lying when his mouth is moving?

If that's the case, this book will turn your view of selling upside down!

What if your team listened to customer needs as they were delivering high quality service to your clientele, found ways to add value to them by solving problems - addressing the pain that your customers are already feeling?

What if when your customers found that relief - received that value - they THANKED you in dollars and in goodwill? That's what Upside Down Selling is all about. Ian provides practical, useful, real-world ideas that you can begin to implement immediately.

If you need a simple, easy to implement process to help raise your revenues, then this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the revolution, June 15, 2012
Just because selling hasn't evolved much in recent decades doesn't mean any of us have to subscribe to the old-school tactics, tips and tricks that still exist, in order to succeed. It's hard to believe that so many salespeople still operate that way ... but they do! This book packs a lot of punch and I'm hoping some of the old-schoolers read it, but clearly EVERYONE can benefit from its great content.

This was my first Kindle book and a great one to kick things off...

In a sea of selling strategies, Ian's approach is unlike anything I've ever seen. It's practical in its approach, simple to execute, the great stories make it quite interesting and the ideas produce results -- I've already applied some of these strategies with my own clients ... and they work! (hence the 5-star rating)

I own a dozen books on selling -- there's no simpler approach and no better value in this category. Buy this book and read it -- I'm sure you'll be as excited as I was to implement the best practices shared inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone in business that wants to be more successful!, June 12, 2012
Marc A. Freedman (N. Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
If you are in any business and you have not read Ian Altman's book "Upside-Down Selling: An Integrity-based Approach to Avoid Being Predictable" you are losing the battle. In today's economy if you are still "selling" your product or services you cannot compete. Ian has laid out a concise method of how to be more successful growing your business revenues in today's constantly changing business environment. Ian's guidance is clear, concise and a new energetic map for your business to follow to its new revenue successes. This is not only a must read for business owners, but a must read for your entire staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise but powerful, April 8, 2014
Consider this material a perfect segue and lead-in to Same Side Selling, a book that goes into further detail about how to erase the paradigm of sales using gimmicks, persuasion, and adversarial aggression.

This book gives you a great framework on how to rework your sales philosophy, and also explains how to structure your company and employee roles in order to grow your business ethically and with integrity-based selling.

Even though this book is more geared towards company who consult, its applications are still valid for anyone who provides services to clients or who are looking on how to get even MORE clients and winning referrals.

What I enjoy most about this book is how it takes away the entire mythos of sales being a process where you have to almost trick a potential client into purchasing services they may not even need. By focusing on THE CLIENT and THEIR problems, you can then find out how you can best help them (if at all) and actually solve their problems and get traceable results. Focusing on the client's issues takes away the entire pressure-based system of selling that's been used ever since the dawn of humankind.

I feel that this philosophy of selling, providing value, and growing your business is the next evolution of sales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recently attended Ian's 2 day seminar in Washington, DC, February 11, 2014
I came away totally impressed with his strategies, tactics and real world solutions that address the age old subject of "selling" in a unique and refreshing way. I read his book later that week and was pleasantly surprised with the quality and depth of his content. I would suspect that tens of thousands of books have been written on the the topic but Ian clearly has mastery of his subject. After meeting Ian and reading his first book, I can clearly see how I can put his advice and content into action in my own business. Ian gives the reader a clear vision of successful sales strategies, networking and referrals. I'm looking forward to reading his soon to be released book entitled, "Same Side Selling".
Ian's book, "Upside Down Selling" is based on ethically rooted principles of sales psychology which keeps the sales practitioner from being elementally transparent or predictable to a prospect. Of particular interest and impact to me was what Ian called "i3" (Issue - Impact - Importance) and why they matter so much in the sales process. What is the ISSUE? What is the IMPACT to the organization if the problem is not addressed? How IMPORTANT is the issue to the prospect? Ian's coverage of this alone is worth the read. I consider myself a seasoned sales and marketing executive and have read numerous books and listened to several tapes on the subject. I'd place Ian in the same company with Chert Holmes, Roger Dawson and Brian Tracy who are some of my enduring favorites. A "recommended: read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read to Sharpen Your Selling/Listening Skills in Professional Services, November 25, 2013
Upside Down Selling is well written and gives wonderful real life examples that are very helpful for pursuing business with integrity. As an attorney, many of the concepts apply to my business, and would apply to any business consultant. There are concrete approaches to sharpen your skills to focus on what would really be helpful to your client. There are specific sections on how to properly identify opportunities, qualify pursuits, and secure quality referrals. In addition to packing plenty of value in a small package, the stories and tone make Upside Down Selling enjoyable to read. I highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›