5.0 out of 5 stars Works well out of the box. Can't beat the price.
Tanbo ALG-24LED11

Published on August 8, 2012 by Kevin

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST - RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE
Published 23 months ago by janeo

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well out of the box. Can't beat the price., August 8, 2012
Tanbo ALG-24LED11

I purchased this tv as a replacement for the old lcd monitor (vga and dvi inputs only, dim screen, old, etc...) in my home office. I was a bit uneasy without ever hearing of this brand before and the lack of reviews available on this tv. I have had it running for the better part of a day at this point and I am very pleased with my purchase. And I can't complain about the price. It has many menu options, a logical remote, and at least one of each input that one might need.

I used the HDMI1 input to extend the desktop from my Lenovo w530 laptop by means of a Mini-DP++ to HDMI cable. I wasn't sure what to expect for the price, but I was very satisfied. The picture looked great.

I tested the Composite AV input with an old black and white security camera. It scaled the picture very well when zoomed and gives me the option via zoom button to view the picture without being stretched.

The component input worked just as well with a Wii plugged into it.

The manual states "Without any other functions, USB jack is only used for software upgrade of products." I found the one USB jack outputs 5v as a standard USB jack should. Enough to run my Turtle Beach headphones. The remote does have a "Disc-USB" button by all of the other individual input buttons but it did not do anything with a thumbstick USB full of pictures plugged into it. So the USB jack is only useful as a USB power jack. Side Note: This will make a perfect powers source for a USB powered fan, phone/mp3 charger or a home-made/slightly modded Wii Sensor Bar. Note that it is on the back of the tv and pointed downward so it is not easily accessible.

As expected for a small flat screen, the built-in speakers are not especially powerful. But they are sufficient. I have this tv set up in a 12' x 12' room and have no problem hearing it even with a kid playing in the room. I am yet to turn up the volume past half-way.

The COAX jack is an output for PCM or RAW sound. There is also a headphone output jack.

The monitor can handle resolutions as low as 640 x 480 and 720 x 400 and as high as 1920 x 1080.

The remote has a logical and organized layout. It has near 50 buttons yet one rarely needs to go searching for a button. It has a typical source button but also has individual buttons for each source. Very nice if you want to avoid menus. It also has DVD player controls. The remote layout is logical and quick to learn.

***The remote control does not come with batteries (2 x AAA)

***When I first inserted batteries in the remote, it would not work. On closer inspection of the battery compartment, I noticed the + positive terminals on the remote were not making contact with the batteries. I took a small flat head screw driver, stuck it into the center of the little coils that make the positive terminals, and pried them so they stand proud or stick-out. Thus making contact with the + side of the batteries. A small needle nose pliers could do the trick as well. Problem solved.

***When I first turned on the tv and switched to HDMI1, I was alarmed that the edges of my desktop were clipped off. This was easily fixed by going to the menu and changing the zoom to "Just Scan". Problem solved.

***Right out of the box there was something very small rattling around inside of the tv. It sounds like a tiny piece of plastic. It is still there. So far no harm done.

***The same thing happened with the remote. Something very small rattling around inside of it. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Barely noticeable.

***If you are going to use an aftermarket VESA mounting tv stand, note that you can not remove the vertical stem of the stock tv stand. See the shiny flat bottom plate to the tv stand? That's all that can be removed. Not the vertical portion. I am using an aftermarket adjustable VESA stand on this tv. Even though it is not in use, there is no way to remove the small inverted mushroom of plastic that hangs below below the monitor. It is out of the way and only a slight eye sore. If you are using the stand that comes with this tv, you have nothing to worry about. If you have no idea what I am talking about, then this probably does not concern you.

For the price, I can't imagine a better deal out there. I am satisfied with my purchase and would recommend it.

Update: After a two months of use I am still quite satisfied with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am actually impressed, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Upstar Tambo ALG-24LED11 24" 1080p LED HDTV (Electronics)
This monitor impressed me. I was expecting a descent TV\Monitor for watching Netflix on. This monitor delivered that expectation and more.

The good
The screen quality is amazing. Well done on the LED usage and contrast
The dark vs light show a wonderful range
1080p in all it glory. You will find yourself looking up only 1080p media
Very very light weight
Well designed remote control
Screen pivots up and down only
The price, the price the price

The bad
The amplifier for the Coax is lacking causing poor coax quality.
-My line won't reach, but I use it for online media. When connected HDMI it is not a problem
Audio is weak
-Expect to connect external audio. When connected externally, the system utilizes the sound wonderfully
-I connected it to my computer system using HDMI and the audio goes through the TV system now.
It sounds beautiful
The connectors on the bottom are oddly placed and difficult to get to
The base is a snap on and feels flimsy. But compared to the rest of the system, it will work fine

You get what you pay for. In this instance, this is a rare steal. I would definatly buy another of these again. Expect to use external audio though. Keep it in mind. Their audio controller works well, just not with their speakers.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST - RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Upstar Tambo ALG-24LED11 24" 1080p LED HDTV (Electronics)
Our Upstar TV mysteriously stopped working 6 weeks after purchase. We did all the normal trouble shooting and determined the TV was the problem. We were told that we'd have to ship it back to the manufacturer for repair and we'd have to contact them for a RMA number first. The process of obtaining the RMA was a bit irritating but the person I was dealing with was pleasant and professional enough.

I shipped it back and got a phone call from a different person than I initially dealt with and she told me that they received it but there would be a problem. She then asked me to be honest with her and tell her if we opened up the back of the tv. I told her no it just stopped working. She asked me if we dropped it. I told her no. She kept insisting that we had tampered with it somehow. I told her that I didn't appreciate being called a liar to which she said that she wasn't calling me a liar but she was warning me not to tamper with my tv next time. The call quickly escalated to a screaming match. Other gems from our conversation include "why did you buy the tv, nobody made you," and "you will never get everything that you want and if you think you will you will be sorry." I don't want the world on a string, I just want them to honor their warranty. I've never dealt with anyone so horrible and rude. I've never been treated so poorly by a company. Avoid this company at all cost. If you tv dies for no good reason, just pitch it like the junk it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars (For under $200) Can't beat it with a big old stick, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Upstar Tambo ALG-24LED11 24" 1080p LED HDTV (Electronics)
I needed a TV on which I could watch DVDs. I searched Amazon. I found this TV for $183. I can't even remember its name, but it starts with a T. It's from China. Taibon? Taibo? Whatever. I purchased it. It came about a week later than promised but I got a nice email and an offer of 20% off my next purchase in apology or free shipping or some such and it was easy to set up and I watched a movie on it and the picture looked fine, although it was Cagney's 'top of the world, ma' movie so it was in black and white but, the black was a good black and the white was a good white. Sound somewhere between OK and Not Bad but, really, here in the 21st, who doesn't have a so-called 'home-theatre' system -- hifalutin talk for a DVD player with four speakers and woofer; besides, I question the use of the word 'theatre' placed so close to 'home': if you don't go out to it, it's not theatre -- or at least a couple of spare PC speakers, all of which plug in easily. Multi-tasking (is it multi-tasking if you do tasks sequentially?), I just watched the opening to PeeWee's Playhouse and can report that the TV passed its 'color' test with flying, well, colors.

Upstar Tambo ALG-24LED11 24" 1080p LED HDTV