Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on December 17, 2005
Easily the worst book I've (partially) read in years.
It contains about 2000 words, and about half of which are ancient slang that you already know and that date back as far as the 19th century and beyond.
Examples from just a few pages include coke (Coca-Cola), cold (heartless), college (you guessed it, college), coed, c-note, cool, cooties, cop a feel...well, you get the idea.
Of the remaining words, most are drug slang, unfunny jokes about George Bush's intelligence, and a few mildly imaginative and creative neologisms that hardly make up for this pathethic paste-job.
Worst of all, slang words that the dictionary does not define are used to define other words, leaving the reader scratching his/her head.
Rather than degrade your English to no good end, save your money and visit urbandictionary.com, if you absolutely must.
66 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2008
Basically missing all the best [read: rude and offensive] bits of the website. Buy it if you wanna support them and have something to rest your mug on. I've read it cover to cover and it was nowhere near as good as the website.
on November 23, 2005
Friggin' hilarious, but also a great collection of regular words we all use (but never realize aren't in a traditional dictionary until you see them here). It's like the book of your life. I felt redeemed seeing "TPS reports" as an entry. Maybe you know "hack" had six definitions, but could you list them? Our inner child grins upon finding "skank" in print. Three days in a row, I've busted out laughing in the train on the way to work. In the spirit of the "Merde!" and "Merde Encore!" French slang dictionaries, this book brings fringe sayings to the mainstream and helps us all understand each other better. Would make a great gift for parents of school-age kids, and, perhaps most importantly, your tragically hip friends.
on November 17, 2005
I love this book. So what if it's not filled with smut. The fact that the book is not as racy as the website makes it perfect as a holiday present for my co-workers, who I constantly tease about being terminally unhip. The book will go a long way to getting them up to speed on pop culture language, without the risk of a sexual harassment suit on my hands. And they may even get a chuckle out of it.
on June 11, 2013
A lot of the definitions seemed the same or too focused on affairs and other innapropriate topics. I know this is innapropriate comedy, but what happened to all the funny celebrity definitions and tv show/movie themed definitions?
on October 28, 2012
My husband and I faithfully listen to Christy the Wordsmith on our NPR station each morning. She cited this dictionary in such a way I knew I had to get it. It is fun here in Wyoming with few urban streets to check out the language.
on July 28, 2006
You should already know most of the words in this book, but if you feel somebody you know is culturally illiterate and might benefit from these well know words send them one. I recommend the on-line version for some top notch entertainment.
on December 9, 2005
What a hilarious collection of words to be used in all company. Great gift idea for just about anyone with a sense of humor. The website is good too, but this is a nicely compiled collection to take along.
on September 9, 2012
I wanna say something, I bought this book and my dad stole it. He works at a university, so yeah i think it might be there.. Never read it haha.. My dad reads good books i think so yeah do and try it out but hide it.
on February 8, 2014
This is a funny book that will have you laughing anytime. If you need to keep up with the younger generation, this is the book for you. Package arrived on time and in great shape. I would recommend this product and company anytime.