Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Usborne Book of Easy Recorder Tunes
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

100%

on April 19, 2001
As an adult who wanted to learn how to play the recorder, I wasn't sure how (or where) begin. This book is set up from very easy tunes to increasingly difficult (although it never gets too hard.) If a tune involves a new technique (examples: new time signatures, sharps and flats, etc.) the author explains these new things simply and to the point. The best thing about this book is that there are a variety of songs, most of which are recognizable (some Xmas tunes, classical pieces, folk songs, etc.) I wish there were more exercises to increase your technique, but that's being picky. I would recommend this book to both children and adults.
on October 4, 2005
As a teenager who has never played a musical instrument (except for one song with ten notes on the piano :P) I had always wanted to be able to play something for I enjoy music very much. My sister had a recorder she never played so, with her premission of course, I cleaned it off and decided to learn. I found this book at the library and found it was easy and lots of fun. There are many great songs, from a waltz to jazz. All in all I'd recomend this book to anyone trying to learn how to play the recorder. Have fun!
on November 5, 2006
I wouldn't try to learn recorder with just this book. (I'd go with "It's Recorder Time" by Alfred D'Auberge.) But this book has lots of great practice songs.
on January 13, 2013
I purchased this book as supplementary repertoire for my two children (ages 5 and 7), who expressed interest in learning to play the recorder after I started playing baroque recorder again. I've found Usborne books to be excellent in the past, and this one is a shining example. It starts with simple, familiar folk tunes, and progresses in difficulty to arrangements of selections from famous classical composers. Some pieces are arranged as duets or with accompaniment, making it perfect for group/class lessons. There are interesting bits of information about the pieces, explanations of music theory, and information about the recorder throughout the book. And my kids love the "jelly baby" cartoon illustrations that accompany the text, which makes them more inclined to read them! Even though I purchased it for my children, I've added several pieces from this book to my own repertoire...definitely a book for all ages!
on March 26, 2013
I highly recommend this book - not only because it provides easy versions of many tunes, but because it has such a great selection of tunes. You will recognize many of the songs from your own childhood - and enjoy hearing them all over again when your child plays them.