4.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, but Good Reminders Nonetheless
Published on March 24, 2012 by Christopher Alexander

1.0 out of 5 stars A Ripoff
Published on June 18, 2012 by Shazam

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, but Good Reminders Nonetheless, March 24, 2012
Increasingly, we are seeing more books and articles about how to prevent our brains from experiencing the natural process of slowing/deterioration that accompanies the aging process. Just yesterday, for example, one of the cover stories on the AARP Bulletin (no, I don't subscribe; they just send it to me) was on how to prevent mental decline. While there is some validity to parts of this, it also fits the pattern we often fall prey to, of wanting answers for whatever ails us at the moment.

Amen's book is fairly straight-forward, but much of the content could have been reduced to fewer pages. In the first two chapters, for example, he repeatedly gives the reader 'teasers' of what they will learn by reading the book, rather than just getting to the point. I found this to be a bit tedious, as it had the feel of sitting through a time-share lecture.

Most of what Amen recommends falls into the category of common sense. For anyone who has read books on how to avoid heart disease, manage diabetes, or deal with any other health issue, the content here isn't that new. Rather, it's the usual drumbeat---much of which we need to be reminded of---to eat right, exercise, keep our minds challenged/engaged, reduce stress, and don't do stupid things as we go through life.

In contrast to what other authors have stated, however, Amen encourages caution with respect to some aspects of diet, opining, for example, that consumption of certain foods (peaches, kale, apples, berries ... ) can have negative effects on brain function. I'm not sure I buy that.

Amen is a huge proponent of supplements (fish oil, CoQ10, ginkgo, alpha-lipoic acid, etc.) something I agree with, but also remain ambivalent about. While I support the use of supplements--and take several each day--the research on their impact and effectiveness on the human body is inconsistent and sometimes vague. Still, it appears the bigger issue is whether they actually work, rather than if they will harm you, so what the heck. As someone with diabetes, the only (!!!) thing that has helped me control my numbers is 1) diet (high protein, low carb) and 2) exercise.

This book doesn't necessarily fall into the category of pop-medicine, but at times, it does come close. Amen, for example, minimizes the role of genetics on brain function and behavior. If my work with adopted children has taught me anything, it is that genetics plays a much bigger part in our lives that we appreciate. I can see where some readers might also mistakenly believe that the approaches Amen recommends will neutralize or reverse true neurological conditions, such as ADHD and Alzheimers.

For those who have a decent command of why it's important to eat right, exercise, and maintain balance in life, this book won't provide much information that's new or novel, though the brain imaging pictures and results are intriguing. The book is an easy read, however, and if you or someone you know could be prodded toward better health by reading it, then click the 'buy' button.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Ripoff, June 18, 2012
Shazam (California) - See all my reviews
I purchased "Use your brain to change your age" hoping to find some useful hints how to do just that. There were a number of helpful guidelines and they were repeated ad nauseam throughout the book. The basic suggestions could have easily fit in a small pamphlet and sold for $1. I really resent paying the price of a hard cover book and basically getting a sales pitch for the Amen solution, an expensive brain scan and his supplements. While he is certainly entitled to advertise, I find doing it throughout a book which I have paid for a complete ripoff.

I wish I could get my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scared me back to the gym, February 20, 2012
Just started Dr Amen's book yesterday. But have taken it seriously. Went to Pilates yesterday after reading chapter 1. Started at a new gym after chapter 2 (my old one closed two months ago). Will keep this exercise up three days a week like Dr. Amen recommends and add more brain healthy patterns to my life. Going to cut out cheese and sugar, then get new blood tests to see what else I need to do. His book has really scared me into taking much better care of myself. Thank you Dr. Amen. I have read several of your other books but this one has really hit home in the first two chapters. Keep up the good work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense Advice, March 31, 2012
Dennis2468 "Dennis2468" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Dr. Amen's book contains the usual common-sense recommendations for excellent health: mental and physical exercise, healthy eating, limiting one's alcohol intake, avoiding tobacco, and reducing the sources of stress in one's life. Sounds like a wise approach to preventing the decline in brain functions, and it is backed by plenty of true-life stories about people the doctor has treated.

There are claims that Dr. Amen's work is not backed by solid scientific studies and, accordingly, his approach is met skepticism and is not necessarily highly recommended by the existing medical establishment.

Biographical information indicates that Dr. Amen received his biology degree from Southern California College, a Pentecostal school that is now known as Vanguard University. This school's credo is "We believe the Bible to be the inspired and only infallible and authoritative Word of God". Dr. Amen went on to receive his medical degree from the the School of Medicine at Oral Roberts University.

The book's recommendations are highly consistent with the habits required to maintain excellent personal health. Thus, if this book inspires people to alter the course of their live via healthy eating and other good habits then it will will be a God-given blessing for those readers. The book has a hard-cover and a paperback edition. The paperback edition on Amazon is especially recommended for readers seeking the lowest price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Guy Changed My Life, February 14, 2012
I usually don't give book reviews, as I'm asked by so many authors to do so.

But Dr. Daniel Amen changed my life, and I want you to know about it because I think his new book USE YOUR BRAIN TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE will indeed change YOUR life.

This book is for anyone looking for BRILLIANTLY SIMPLE and effective strategies for improving overall brain health and mental clarity and performance.

Last year I visited The Amen Clinics after having suffered a head injury. The brain scan showed I had postconcussive syndrome, so Daniel put me on a very simple brain health plan, much like the one he features in this new book. It worked wonders, and I can say I feel incredible.

As Amen says, "The fountain of youth is between your ears." If you want to feel younger and think smarter, you've got to start with your brain.

Get this book - your brain will be thankful. :)

-- Brendon
#1 New York Times best-selling author of "The Millionaire Messenger"
and Founder of High Performance Academy

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just hope, February 16, 2012
Dr. Amen has given us action steps to help us stay healthy, vibrant and sound of mind for a long fulfilling life. With parents in the 85+ range, the issues of Alzheimer's and dementia are very real to me. This book gives me useable tools not only for myself and my husband, but to help my parents enjoy their later years and give my sons the information they need so they can take steps now to stay healthy. No gimmicks, no unhealthy extreme diet. Just common sense and the science to back it up.

Thank you, Dr. Amen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful read, March 29, 2012
Yes, I liked the book. It's helped me to make some positive changes in my life. And because of that, the book is a winner and not a complete waste of money. The only negative was that the author really takes advantage of his captive audience (the reader) and tries to sell his many other services. As an example, the author keeps bringing up this great website that offers many useful tools only to find out it costs about $30 per month to use it. My enthusiasm was dashed because the website sounded great. Besides disappointments like that, I did like the book and would still recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally helpful!, February 16, 2012
I found Dr. Daniel Amen's new book Use Your Brain to Change Your Age so remarkable that I could not stop reading it. I almost highlighted the whole book. My only explanation is that it is an exceptionally helpful book filled with practical information that I can start using right away to stop the natural aging process in my brain. I am so grateful for it!

What I admire the most from Dr. Amen is that he is very genuine and generously shares his clinical knowledge. He gives excellent brain advice, simple steps to boost the brain and thoughtful suggestions to promote brain healing. At the same time, all his recommendations are full of human wisdom. No matter what age, everyone who reads this book will feel identified and without doubt will find valuable insight to keep growing healthy in the body and soul. I definitely recommend everybody to buy this fantastic book.

Melissa Martínez de Arana, Ph.D.
Psychologist & "Brain Coach"
February 16, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Use Your Brain to Change Your Age, February 20, 2012
Dr. Amen has brought his brain research into a compelling compilation of easy to understand narration that anyone can pick up and begin to fully appreciate the significance and the necessity of it's application for optimum brain health and it's plasticity. He unveils and demonstrates a way of living that nurtures and sustains optimum brain physiology as one of the key components for the overall health of the whole human being including the importance and influence of the mental and spiritual aspects of living life as a great influencer on brain health.
The brain is no longer a mystery - it is fast becoming a whole new world that is miraculous, beautiful and full of potential and possibilities for our healthy futures. Dr. Amen's book brings his landmark brain research and life work into simple, easy to digest terms for anyone who is interested in seriously changing the quality of their life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Redundtant, April 1, 2012
The book has good advice, practice good nutrition, exercise, don't use alcohol or any type of illegal drugs, take a fish oil, vitamin D, and a good multiple vitamin every day. All good advice, but do you have to read so many case histories to get the message. I don't think so. The book could have been one chapter in length. It's still a book worth reading if you're overweight, or using drugs, or eating a lot of junk food.

Use Your Brain to Change Your Age: Secrets to Look, Feel, and Think Younger Every Day
$16.00 $12.20