Use of a filter I have just purchased the Panasonic FZ28 and noticed that Amazon recommends buying this filter. I am a novice and will be learning as I go along. What is the purpose of the filter? Is it necessary or just something nice to have? Thank you for your help.
asked by C. Gauthier on July 1, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
UV protection filters became popular with film cameras, UV light could throw the colors off on film, so having a UV filter became a given. UV filters are not needed on digital cameras, however it was found that often the filter would protect the lens from damage, so people still use protection filters on their lenses. I use protection filters, but, choose Hoya DMC PRO1 Clear Protector Digital Filter. The Hoya PRO1 filters cost about 1/10 the cost of the lenses I protect. They are DMC which stands for digital multi coated, which means they have the same coatings as the lens to protect against lens flare and ghosting. They are also optically better than cheaper filters so they wont distort your photographs. They are not UV filters because digital cameras don't need a UV filter.

The Hoya 52mm DMC PRO1 Clear Protector Digital Filter is the same size as the Tiffen 52mm UV Protection Filter. Yes it costs 7 times as much as the Tiffen, but, do you really want all your images going through a $5 filter before going into your $400 camera?
Tom Martin answered on July 3, 2009
Comment | 21 of 21 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Another filter question, the filter that was recommended does not seem to be available in a 46mm size. What would be a proper alternative?
C. Gauthier answered on July 14, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Gloria H. Villalobos says: I bought a Panasonic FZ35, I bought a set o filters but they are 55mm if I use them I cant put the original Lens cap of the camara because of the size. Any sugestion?

Tamron FLC55 55mm Front Lens Cap
Tom Martin answered on November 21, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Good points, thank you. I did not know that UV filtering was extraneous on DIGITAL cameras; we ALWAYS were told to buy either a UV or "Skylight" filter with lenses in the days of film 35mm cameras.

The bottom line, though, you make very wel saying, "do you really want all your images going through a $5 filter before going into your $400 camera?"

[I would revise it for some: "...through your $X000 lens, and THEN into your $X000 camera!"]
Richard A. Duda answered on October 6, 2009
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you so much for your clear and informative explanation. I will certainly take your advice.
C. Gauthier answered on July 3, 2009
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I bought a Panasonic FZ35, I bought a set o filters but they are 55mm if I use them I cant put the original Lens cap of the camara because of the size. Any sugestion?
Gloria Villalobos
Gloria H. Villalobos answered on November 20, 2009
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product