Using generic ink to refill? Is anyone using generic ink to refill their cartridges? I'm asking because I'm a broke college student who just bought the printer, but have a lot of pictures to print.
asked by Eddy Vien on April 15, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
vote
I recently bought the Ezink refill off of eBay as well. It is amazing. I only paid 15$ myself so I suppose the price went down? Anyways, it refills each cartridge 3 times and so far I havn't gotten the error message that Lab Brat is talking about (maybe because I refilled it before it went all the way empty?). Highly recommended ink refill.
T. Russell answered on May 15, 2011

A
votes
InkTec makes a pretty good kit for my Pixma MX340 & others. It's available with Prime.
QuintBy answered on May 26, 2011

A
vote
Yes, T. Russell, I did let my ink run pretty low because I was printing pics which it does beautifully by the way! And now everytime we print it gives everyone a warning that Ink may be running low. Its just small annoyance but nothing that would stop me from paying for brand new cartridges if I didnt have to. The EZink refills are amazing and so easy to use and most of all, not messy!
Lisa answered on May 17, 2011

A
vote
Many thanks to your helpful comments. I'll order an EZink refill right now! :)
Eddy Vien answered on May 17, 2011

A
vote
Hi;
I sent for Megatone replacement carts, $250 ea..
which is better than my getting ink on my hands, etc,
during refilling. Tho I've used HP, & Brother's inks
on my Canon 830.
I got the Chip Resetter for $10, so that was an
excellent device to refill whenever I'd start a new
long print production.
P.S. There's also a firm that sells just the chips,
to paste over the cartridge, so you can use
them quite easily.
Another "Replier" noted that you can also turn
on a Custom Printer name i.e. "NOCOLOR"
and not use color for mass B/W print jobs..
and just use the standard Auto to use the
Colors for minor jobs & toner cleaning.
Bill Sullivan
W. E. Sullivan answered on November 4, 2011

A
votes
I bought a really nifty refill kit from ebay called EZink and it was 25$ and will refill each tank 3 times! The only problem I have run into with it, is I can't reset the ink levels because I didnt use a new cartridge. It still prints fine but I just get an annoying error prior to printing. I have been researching to see if there is a way to reset the ink levels or disable them and so far have found nothing. This is an awesome printer. I am a single mother and I scanned my son's sr. photos and printed them on this printer and you honestly could not tell the original from the copy..it prints beautiful photos! I'd recommend you buy this.
Lisa answered on April 27, 2011

A
votes
The problem with this printer is that Canon is using their new cartridges in it, and they have covered the entire cartridge so that you can't see how much ink is actually in it. This also makes it much harder for people to refill. Its this very reason why I ended up having to order an Epson printer instead. I like Canon, but they are going overboard trying to prevent people refilling. The chips are bad enough, and have always given me errors on my Canon ip4500 printer since day one when I purchased it. Supposedly there will be reset chips out for this printer some time, but there aren't any guarantees to that.

In my opinion it should be illegal for them to be preventing anyone from putting whatever ink they want in it. We paid for the printer, we have the right to do whatever we want with it.

If this printer is like my IP4500, it won't let you print once it shows the ink is *empty* (not low). And with no way to reset the chips, the generic ink refill will do no good.
Brent answered on May 16, 2011

A
votes
I just put in an order from Megatoner too--it will be interesting to see how the cartridges work. I'd like to save some ink in one or both the following ways and wonder if anyone knows how to do it:
1. Set printing to black only which works fine for much of what I copy from the internet.
2. Set printing to "draft" so that the printer cuts back on the amount of ink expended, again for everyday copying. This was recommended as a cost-saving idea for printers in an article I read.
Lynn K. Fritz answered on November 27, 2011

A
votes
Brent, I've owned an ip4500 for years and have been refilling and resetting the cartridge chips from almost day one with no issues or errors whatsoever. I use Hobbicolor inks and bought them and the chip resetter off of ebay. There is a similar chip resetter available for the MG5220.
DougFL answered on December 3, 2011

A
votes
I talked with the Canon support desk and found out you can set your preferences to a "fast" speed, realizing less ink usage in the process. For most of what I do, fast is fine and it can be reset if needed for higher quality printing.
Lynn K. Fritz answered on December 4, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›