Using your own coffee with Keurig Okay, I'm sold. The B60/66 sounds like this is the perfect maker for me. But after doing a lot of research, I am still confused on what I actually need to purchase, besides the unit, to use the gourmet coffee I already have. (Naturally, I just stocked up and now my coffee maker starts to fall apart.) I see the small single cup, but is there another piece that I need to use with it that provides the cap for the cup?
asked by C. Marquardt on June 17, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
votes
You will want to have a super fine ground coffee (like espresso) for the My K-Cup to work effectively. I used it with my regular ground coffee (ground at home with a basic Braun grinder that is fine for a 12-cup machine) and it was SUPER weak. In short, as fine as you can get. And there was no mess with it, very easy to clean and worked very well once you get the right grounds.
tb_canada answered on November 2, 2009

A
votes
We use the caps obtained on ebay all the time. They work fine. It only takes a minute to rinse out a used K cup. Set out to dry. When we have enough empty K cups we grind coffee and fill 5 cups ( that is how many caps we have), and put in out carousel and they are ready to go. Total prep time: Maybe 10 min.
Susan Fliss answered on February 17, 2010

A
votes
Has anyone tried/had experience with the K-caps? (I'm wondering if it's worth ordering them). I got my Keurig B70 platinum because it came with the "my-cup" that you were supposed to use, to be able to use your own coffee (and not the k-cups). But so far I've found that, using a k-cup, it takes about 30 seconds to make a cup of coffee. Going the "my"k-cup route...it takes about 30 MINUTES (BIG mess, dreary clean-up). I've tried a couple of suggestions (as to what other people have tried). The one (cutting top/bottom off k-cup and using that in the holster) was still messy, as well as resulting in a MAJORLY strong cup of coffee! Trying the "put a filter" in the mesh "my"k-cup was GEAT...as far as little mess. It also resulted in what LOOKED lik a great cup of coffee...only to turn out to be, basically, coffee-colored WATER. YUCK! :-P The only thing that has produced a DRINKABLE (not "good!"...drinkable) cup of coffee, was just putting the grounds in the "my"k-cup (per instruction booklet). Like I said...this also causes one big mess!
perry answered on December 14, 2009

A
votes
I just double checked, & it's the Yahoo K-cup exchange group.
Penny V. answered on July 3, 2009

A
votes
I think if you're planning to use your own coffee that all you would need to get is the My K-Cup coffee holder filter assembly thing. But I've heard that it makes or can make a big mess!! I've also heard of people buying some k-cups & after using them once they empty them out & rinse them & then use a little plastic cap called my k-cap, I think, that you can get from Ebay. One other thing I remember reading somewhere is that if you're using My K-cup to use an espresso grind for the best results. One place where you can get a lot of info & questions answered fairly quickly is at the Yahoo Groups. I think the one I belong to is called the K-cups exchange. You can also trade & buy K-cups from other members.
Penny V. answered on July 3, 2009
‹ Previous   1   Next ›