4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 7 months later still on my keychain
I was very hesitant about buying this product due to some of the reviews here saying that the pen would fall out.

I am very happy to say that it has never done that.

I have used the pen a handful of times, and more often than not use it more as a conversation piece than for its actual purpose.

It is not a good pen, but it is convenient,...
Published 5 months ago by Vaude

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this garbage
This is the worst piece of rubbish I've ever wasted money on. Pen will not stay in cap, and it needs to be held upright to write, holding it even at a very slight angle makes it useless. True Utility ? More like True Rubbish. I will never buy another product from this company.
Published 13 months ago by Steve Kelsen

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this garbage, November 2, 2013
This review is from: True Utility TU246 TelePen Telescoping Key Ring Pen with 3 Refills (Sports)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 7 months later still on my keychain, June 24, 2014

I am very happy to say that it has never done that.

It is not a good pen, but it is convenient, which is why you're looking to buy this in the first place. If it were between this and an EDC pen, I'd save my money for a nicer pen that can clip on your pocket. This is not to say i regret my purchase. In the few cases where I forgot to bring my EDC pen, this was a suitable backup. Always having a pen on you no matter what does come off as professional to the right people. YMMV obviously.

Still, I think the caveat emptor here is not that the pen will fall out --- I think the people who lost their pen just generally received a bad apple OR they were using the pen improperly. This pen is NOT meant to be taken out of its housing every day and used like a regular pen. That will definitely wear out the cap. Which is why the additional cartridges that ship with this pen, contained in the goofiest housing ever, are worthless. If you get to the point where you need to replace the ink in this pen, you're not using it correctly.

I give this pen a 4/5 because it is a nice balance of form and function. For $10, it is obviously overpriced if you were to compare this directly to a BIC pen, which is what writing with this pen feels like. But it's not a BIC pen. I can't put a BIC pen on my keychain. Weigh your needs, people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pen fell out - but taken care of, September 9, 2013
The pen felt too easy to fall out of the key ring holder, and it was. The telescoping idea was great, better than other pens where you have to screw the pen together to get a regular sized pen. Unfortunately, within a week of having the pen, it fell off - never to be seen again....Great concept, just didn't work right - not secure enough.

I sent the remains back to Amazon, and a new one was sent to me. It appears that the first one I received was simply defective. The replacement is doing much better and so far I am quite pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed this much earlier, February 11, 2014
Whose genius idea was it to invent this pen? It's one less thing for me to remember to put in my pocket every time I leave the house. This is absolutely brilliant. When you buy this pen, you get the actual pen with three small refills. I mean the ink tubes are small, but I think the inventor never intended this to be an every day pen, but more like an emergency pen if you need to take down a phone number or sign a check or a receipt.

In any case, the pen stays where it should and it writes as it should. No complaints. Will probably buy one for every set of keys I have now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loose fit cap makes pen useless. You'll lose it in a day., January 14, 2014
Heidi (Atlanta GA) - See all my reviews
I was so excited to get this pen. A friend of mine gave one to me as a gift after proudly showing me how well made his was. His pen clicks in securely to the cap. Not so with my version. I lost the pen before ever having a chance to use it. He had purchased several as gifts, so gave me a second one. This one also was a loose fit, so I won't be carrying it anywhere because I don't want to lose another one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrific pen, unique and compact, September 28, 2014
cath (SAN JOSE, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Terrific pen, unique and compact. Used it once, lost the business end of it the next day. Fatal flaw in the design: doesn't screw into the cap. Money wasted (but somebody has a nice telescoping pen they can carry in pocket or purse). Anyone want the refills?

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame, shame, March 11, 2014
Here's the thing: this is a very cool and nifty product. A mini pen to fit on your keychain to take everywhere with you without poking your leg, and you can use it to write down numbers and names and brilliant ideas as you're on the go.

But here's the thing, it WOULD NOT stay in it's cap and I had trouble getting it to write sometimes. I would frequently take my keys out of my pocket and the pen would have fallen off and it was lying at the bottom of my pocket. I even tried two of these pens because I wanted it to work so bad. The first I sent back assuming it was faulty because the product has generally good reviews; but no, my second pen had similar problems. It's a shame. I really wish this was a more reliable product, but you can't have everything, I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyring pen, June 29, 2014
This little pen is great! It is shockingly small and takes up very little room on my keychain. I don't know if I've got a redesigned model or what, but the cap retains the pen very well on mine - I can't shake it loose if I try, I have to grab it and pull it out. Comes with refills, and the pen works fine. Very much worth the money, I will be buying these as gifts.

1.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product with a fundamental engineering flaw., December 10, 2014
This pen came very highly recommended by a number of my peers so I didn't think twice about buying it. Unfortunately, I should have.

The pen is actually quite good. I never had a problem with the writing angle or having the pen fall out of the cap like other reviewers here have reported. In fact, if anything the pen was a little difficult to get out of the cap. The pen writes smoothly enough and I had no problem with the occasional vertical writing (holding a paper against a wall to sign my name, for example). The feel of the pen is quite sturdy for what it is. The slimness of the pen takes a bit of getting used to but not terribly so.

So, why only one star? A mere seven weeks after purchasing this pen, it disappeared from my key chain -- cap and all. The ring is still there, completely intact and not at all deformed. I can therefore only conclude that the METAL cap broke off the ring, taking the pen with it and dropping off who knows where. (Yes, it's lost, I no longer have the pen or the cap.) For something that's supposed to be carried on a key chain along with other bits of dangly metal, therefore subjected to some amount of abuse, having a cap break off so easily and so quickly is an inexcusable engineering flaw. The metal of the cap part needs to be changed to something a LOT stronger than what it is now, Until and unless that happens, you're going to risk losing this pen every day. I sent two emails to the manufacturer and received absolutely no response, leading me to believe that the manufacturer has no interest in addressing this issue. So, one star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not stay attached to key chain socket., April 7, 2014
When I first received the package, I noticed that the description page inside the box was folded and bent along the edges. Certainly no big deal, but it made me believe that the product I received had been used or repackaged. Surely enough, when I go to open the container, I noticed it is poorly taped shut, and had been opened before.

I decide not to think much of it, and try out the pen. The pen itself seems fine. It writes, which is all I ask of it. So I attach it to my key chain and go about my daily life. Within a week, the pen has fallen out of the keychain socket over 5 times. I'm not doing any sort of crazy acrobatics or ripping my keychain out of my pocket either, it is simply just a very loose seal that does not take much effort to disconnect it. Luckily, I have been able to notice it in the bottom of my pocket, hitting the ground, or had someone near me notice that I had dropped it. I no longer can carry it around with me at the risk of losing it. I'm not sure if the problem lies in the pens design, or if I received a defective unit, but it is certainly unacceptable.

For those looking to buy something like this, I'd recommend searching for one by another manufacturer, preferably one that screws instead of snaps to the keychain socket.