5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, Original Version
Published on November 5, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would be different from other comments
I bought this book basically because I had heard Dr. Charles Stanley quote several times from it, while giving a sermon. The reviews I found warned that there were two different versions; one with more modern language, which wasn't as highly recommended as the original, older language style. Unfortunately, I found it quite dry, not as inspiring as I had hoped. It's a...
Published 2 months ago by Puterdame

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, Original Version, November 5, 2010
Amazon Customer (Western Slope, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Utmost For His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS) (Hardcover)
After reading many other reviews for this book and it's other versions and comparing the two text samples I decided I really wanted the original version, not the updated one with "today's language" or whatever. I noticed while reading through all the other reviews that it seemed the reviews were getting all mixed together. So if you want the original version just make sure you order the maroon hardcover book that has (Deluxe Christian Classics) in the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devotion to God Himself, January 2, 2012
Last Christmas I received a copy of Oswald Chambers' classic devotional, My Utmost for His Highest. For years I neglected many devotional writings, perhaps due to a bad taste left in my mouth after trite, too-simple or poorly-written devotionals I'd come across growing up. But what depth I have found in the collections of the writings of saints like A.W. Tozer and now Oswald Chambers! These anthologies indeed are worthy to bear the name "Christian literature." My experience in the last few months of reading Chambers has been transformational, and the book's introduction, by Richard C. Halverson, sums up why.

He says:
"In Chambers I am constantly being reminded that the ground of faith and experience is the person of Jesus Christ....the basis of faith is always Jesus Christ himself. Through the years Chambers has kept me on course by bringing me back to Jesus. Believing Jesus, not just believing my beliefs about Jesus, is basic."

I have collected some brief quotations from the daily readings which echo this basic theme that runs through Chambers' texts. It is about Jesus Himself--believing Him, being devoted to Him.

* "When we become advocates of a creed, something dies; we do not believe God, we only believe our belief about Him.... 'Believe also in Me,' said Jesus, not--'Believe certain things about Me.'" (Apr 29)
* "A man with the vision of God is not devoted to a cause or to any particular issue; he is devoted to God Himself." (May 2)
* "My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace, nor even blessing, but Himself, my God." (July 12)
* "The soul is in danger when knowledge of doctrine outsteps intimate touch with Jesus." (Aug 16)
* "Are you more devoted to your idea of what Jesus wants than to Himself?" (Aug 18)

Chambers says the same thing in so many ways. The message never gets old or passé. I am encouraged to seek a fresh, vibrant relationship with Jesus. To truly know Him, not just know things about Him. Through the story of Jesus walking on the water, I am reminded that it is enough "that I see Him walking on the waves, no shore in sight, no success, no goal, just the absolute certainty that it is all right because I see Him walking on the sea" (July 28). As I realize how destitute I am without Christ, He is speaking to me in a way that is deeper and richer. My demands of Him are silenced in the presence of His Person. My God-given desires and goals play second fiddle to God Himself. I need devotion to Christ, pure and simple (2 Cor. 11:3).

Have you read this classic yet? Available online in the original English or modern English.

([...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will whet your appetite for more Oswald Chambers books, May 22, 2012
Most people probably think that My Utmost For His HIghest is the only book that Oswald Chambers wrote. Although My Utmost is a great devotional book, it should just be a launching pad to read more of his writings.

I am currently in the process of reading through everything Oswald Chamber wrote. And, let me tell you, it's a lot to take in! This man was so prolific and so anointed, that not only is there much to read, but it has to be read slowly and prayerfully. That's why I say that My Utmost is such a great starting place.

Each day's devotional is only a page long. A few of the devotionals appear only in this book, while the remaining come from the thoughts in his many other sermons and writings. So I encourage you to spend a whole year soaking in the thoughts in My Utmost For His Highest, and then allow that to whet your appetite for more of his writings.

This book is definitely on my "must read" list!

5.0 out of 5 stars great devotional, November 23, 2013
This is a great Christ centered devotional that uses scripture from the King James version of the bible it always reminds you of who Christ is and what he accomplished by his death and resurrection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom Here-in, October 28, 2013
Quite simply put, this is one of my all time favorite books. I personally believe Chambers was given great wisdom by our Lord, it is plainly evident in the words found here-in. Chambers gets to the heart of faith and does so without mincing words, without worrying about being culturally relevant, without concern for how the secular world might analyze his ideas. His main concern is staying true to the faith and to the word of God. Even though it is in a devotional setup and the selections are fairly short, they are packed with meaning for the person who approaches Christ with a seeking heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, September 8, 2012
I have been reading this book for about a month and find it amazing how it always fits into my life at that particular moment. It is a must read for any Christian or someone who is looking for the higher power that has created us all. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely love this book by oswald chambers, many keen insights and touches the depths of your soul, November 14, 2010
i became a bornagain christian on saturday, november 21st, 2009
i understand that many people are frightened or don't know about jesus
but one scripture stands out
2 corinthians 5:17
if anyone is in christ, he is a new creation;
the old has passed, the new has come.
there is a genuine spiritual transformation that allows
god to take control of yourself
certainly you make the decisions
but god the holy spirit guides and aides you
oswald chamber peeks deeper into the mysteries of god
i recommend this book to any christian that wants
a more authentic, deeper, and genuine relationship with
god

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treasure, April 8, 2014
I had not thought of this text in many years. The book came up in conversation. It is mine now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest book writen, April 2, 2014
I have been reading Oswald Chambers paperback book for years, until it be came binding came apart. Great replacement, on this classic Christian reading. Best way to start the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty book but harder to read than updated edition, March 12, 2014
Beautiful but this edition is not as easy reading as the updated edition. Would recommend getting the other edition. I will stop rating products and writing any reviews if Amazon dictates how much I am required to write.

ARRAY(0xa36aef54)

My Utmost For His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS)
My Utmost For His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS) by Oswald Chambers (Hardcover - July 1, 2000)
$10.99 $9.89