5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, Original Version
Published on November 5, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A convicting devotional....But
I received this book as a gift in February. As I read this devotional, I realise more and more how unworthy I am of Jesus' love! Every day so far this book has explained to me truths to further my relationship with God. I have been so convicted the past few months!
However, I do have one qualm with this book. The Bible in the "updated edition with modern language"...
Published on April 25, 2012 by Susan. B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, Original Version, November 5, 2010
Amazon Customer (Western Slope, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Utmost For His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS) (Hardcover)
After reading many other reviews for this book and it's other versions and comparing the two text samples I decided I really wanted the original version, not the updated one with "today's language" or whatever. I noticed while reading through all the other reviews that it seemed the reviews were getting all mixed together. So if you want the original version just make sure you order the maroon hardcover book that has (Deluxe Christian Classics) in the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devotion to God Himself, January 2, 2012
Last Christmas I received a copy of Oswald Chambers' classic devotional, My Utmost for His Highest. For years I neglected many devotional writings, perhaps due to a bad taste left in my mouth after trite, too-simple or poorly-written devotionals I'd come across growing up. But what depth I have found in the collections of the writings of saints like A.W. Tozer and now Oswald Chambers! These anthologies indeed are worthy to bear the name "Christian literature." My experience in the last few months of reading Chambers has been transformational, and the book's introduction, by Richard C. Halverson, sums up why.

He says:
"In Chambers I am constantly being reminded that the ground of faith and experience is the person of Jesus Christ....the basis of faith is always Jesus Christ himself. Through the years Chambers has kept me on course by bringing me back to Jesus. Believing Jesus, not just believing my beliefs about Jesus, is basic."

I have collected some brief quotations from the daily readings which echo this basic theme that runs through Chambers' texts. It is about Jesus Himself--believing Him, being devoted to Him.

* "When we become advocates of a creed, something dies; we do not believe God, we only believe our belief about Him.... 'Believe also in Me,' said Jesus, not--'Believe certain things about Me.'" (Apr 29)
* "A man with the vision of God is not devoted to a cause or to any particular issue; he is devoted to God Himself." (May 2)
* "My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace, nor even blessing, but Himself, my God." (July 12)
* "The soul is in danger when knowledge of doctrine outsteps intimate touch with Jesus." (Aug 16)
* "Are you more devoted to your idea of what Jesus wants than to Himself?" (Aug 18)

Chambers says the same thing in so many ways. The message never gets old or passé. I am encouraged to seek a fresh, vibrant relationship with Jesus. To truly know Him, not just know things about Him. Through the story of Jesus walking on the water, I am reminded that it is enough "that I see Him walking on the waves, no shore in sight, no success, no goal, just the absolute certainty that it is all right because I see Him walking on the sea" (July 28). As I realize how destitute I am without Christ, He is speaking to me in a way that is deeper and richer. My demands of Him are silenced in the presence of His Person. My God-given desires and goals play second fiddle to God Himself. I need devotion to Christ, pure and simple (2 Cor. 11:3).

Have you read this classic yet? Available online in the original English or modern English.

([...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will whet your appetite for more Oswald Chambers books, May 22, 2012
Most people probably think that My Utmost For His HIghest is the only book that Oswald Chambers wrote. Although My Utmost is a great devotional book, it should just be a launching pad to read more of his writings.

I am currently in the process of reading through everything Oswald Chamber wrote. And, let me tell you, it's a lot to take in! This man was so prolific and so anointed, that not only is there much to read, but it has to be read slowly and prayerfully. That's why I say that My Utmost is such a great starting place.

Each day's devotional is only a page long. A few of the devotionals appear only in this book, while the remaining come from the thoughts in his many other sermons and writings. So I encourage you to spend a whole year soaking in the thoughts in My Utmost For His Highest, and then allow that to whet your appetite for more of his writings.

This book is definitely on my "must read" list!

5.0 out of 5 stars great devotional, November 23, 2013
This is a great Christ centered devotional that uses scripture from the King James version of the bible it always reminds you of who Christ is and what he accomplished by his death and resurrection.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THE MIND OF GOD, November 24, 2012
I have been a born again Christian since September 19, 1971 and have read many Christian books. I especially love this devotional My Utmost for His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS), because it seems to have the mind of Jesus Christ more than anything I've read outside of the Bible. When Jesus lived on earth as the Son of God, he mingled freely with ordinary people and suffered pain, hunger, sickness and the mundane routine of life. This book captures how best to deal with "living" the Christian life, by showing us the mind of God as we go about our lives, whether it be in the day to day grind of daily living or in the spiritual heights to the heavens.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely love this book by oswald chambers, many keen insights and touches the depths of your soul, November 14, 2010
i became a bornagain christian on saturday, november 21st, 2009
i understand that many people are frightened or don't know about jesus
but one scripture stands out
2 corinthians 5:17
if anyone is in christ, he is a new creation;
the old has passed, the new has come.
there is a genuine spiritual transformation that allows
god to take control of yourself
certainly you make the decisions
but god the holy spirit guides and aides you
oswald chamber peeks deeper into the mysteries of god
i recommend this book to any christian that wants
a more authentic, deeper, and genuine relationship with
god

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom Here-in, October 28, 2013
Quite simply put, this is one of my all time favorite books. I personally believe Chambers was given great wisdom by our Lord, it is plainly evident in the words found here-in. Chambers gets to the heart of faith and does so without mincing words, without worrying about being culturally relevant, without concern for how the secular world might analyze his ideas. His main concern is staying true to the faith and to the word of God. Even though it is in a devotional setup and the selections are fairly short, they are packed with meaning for the person who approaches Christ with a seeking heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, September 8, 2012
I have been reading this book for about a month and find it amazing how it always fits into my life at that particular moment. It is a must read for any Christian or someone who is looking for the higher power that has created us all. I would recommend this book to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Granddaddy of 20th Century Devotional Books, February 19, 2011
Fr. Charles Erlandson (Tyler, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My Utmost for His Highest is the granddaddy of 20th century devotional books. I remember seeing a copy of Oswald Chambers' book on my dad's bookshelf, and I was given a copy of book in 1979 by my Sunday school teacher and Bible study group leader when I was a senior in high school attending a Bible church. It would make a great gift for any Christian you know who is looking to spend more time with God in His Word every day.

It is still a perennial favorite among Christian devotional books, and I think there are a number of reasons for this. First, Chambers wrote in a simple format: one verse from the Bible, followed by one page of devotional writing. This simple format makes My Utmost for His Highest very easy to use and to keep up with. The second reason this book continues to be a favorite is that Chambers writes simply, forcefully, and practically. There is also a directness and power in Chambers' words that touches his readers.

For these reasons, My Utmost for His Highest has become a classic. Anything that encourages people to read their Bibles, reflect on God's Word, and attempt to live by it is a very good thing. However, such devotional books are, ultimately, very limited. Scripture is meant to be read in its entire context, and not chopped up into single verses. Reading My Utmost for His Highest has benefited me, but as I've gotten older it always leaves me wanting something that goes more deeply and broadly into Scripture.

Having said all this, I'm truly thankful that Chambers doesn't sugarcoat the Christian life but clearly communicates that it is a difficult one. For the kind of simple, daily devotional that it is, My Utmost for His Highest will always remain a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have, April 24, 2014
My Utmost For His Highest is one of the best books I will ever own. It has powerful, thought provoking, and encouraging messages that can be digested within a few minutes each day. I only wish I had found it sooner.

My Utmost For His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS)
My Utmost For His Highest - Deluxe (DELUXE CHRISTIAN CLASSICS) by Oswald Chambers (Hardcover - July 1, 2000)
$10.99 $9.89
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.