5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Dark Ride
This is an excellent thriller written by a master of the craft. Child sets the stage in a high-tech theme park, controlled by sophisticated computers so that nothing can possibly go wrong *click* ... go wrong *click* ... go wrong ...

Published on May 15, 2009 by Kurt G. Schumacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment
I have been a fan of Lincoln Child for many years through his collaboration with Douglas Preston. Utopia is an interesting story with decent character development and very interesting plot. I found the ending a little rushed, but still entertaining.
Published on December 6, 2009 by K. Jordahl

3.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, December 6, 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Drags a bit, March 25, 2011
E. Rubringer (Bad Axe, Michigan) - See all my reviews
The premise of the story is a good one...and captivated me. I did find the writing a bit...long winded and drawn out. The book drags in the middle as the story unwinds. Good ending, but a LONG read to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Dark Ride, May 15, 2009

Of course, things do go horribly wrong. Others reviewers have covered the plot sufficiently. So I'll just say that it's a thrill-a-minute ride.

Child sets the story up like a clockwork machine. No blind alleys, no red herrings, no wasted scenes. Things that are discussed in scenes early in the book turn up again at the end, and I found myself thinking, "Ah... of course..." several times.

This is one of the best crafted thrillers I've ever read. I had one quibble about some techno-babble that I couldn't quite buy into. But that was a minor point, and didn't really detract from my enjoyment. (I'm an "Elder Geek", so I'm used to snorting and saying "Yeah, right!" when books, movies and TV shows try to get technical.)

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utopia. Interesting. Strange. Causing to think. Unacceptable!, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Utopia (Paperback)
Old idea and old book, even though, the ideas are still very alive these days. One of the most influencing humanism works written 500 years ago by Thomas More. I like the book but I miss the point of creating utopia world. What about you?

Interesting thing but the word "utopia" came from this book as we know it now. Thomas created it in this book by describing in his mind the ideal society, ideal place and ideal life. Utopia is written in a story style and that makes it very easy to read and understand. Recently I've read some other books describing opposite to utopia, which is called anti-utopia. It was very interesting to see the differences between all of them.

Utopia is a fictitious place and the author describes it as an ideal place for society to live. Based on fictitious story teller he describes many different aspects of life like cities, authorities, crafts, communication, relationships, trips, slaves, war and belief. What I didn't like is that through my eyes many things are based on Christianity or has some color of it. That makes me to think that basically this utopia society is based on emotional and not reasonable aspects.

Me personally I'm not admiring the idea of utopia. I think it has many disadvantages. What caught my eye is that in this book there is not mentioned some really important aspects like passion (in any ways like sexual, activity and even life). Sometimes this book reminded me Brave New World. It's similar that in utopia nobody possess nothing and in Brave New World everyone else belongs to everyone else. It doesn't really much differ in mindset, just in surface. What I really doesn't admire in utopias is that they deny personality and destroys character only leaving human as a small part of society. It seems that you can change any two people with places and nothing will change or have any difference. It's possible that in many cases the same would happen in our world, but here at least we have a chance. Actually I think utopia might be more admired by those, who want somebody else to do more for their good.

Most utopias tries to make people equal, but it's not right, because happiness is not equal and it can't be. Everyone's happiness is different that means you can't give everyone the same things and expect that they will react the same, because people should want different things in life. People shouldn't be computers programmed by the same program. I think that we are living in quite an utopia world. Everyone who is not programmed by memes (or even is) has different wishes and understands happiness differently. And the most beautiful thing is that everything is possible in our world nowadays. Everything except what your mind limits you from.

So, isn't this an utopia world? What do you think?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Lighter Fare With Some Scifi Tech, July 25, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Sometimes I just want something a little less challenging to read...something lighter than my usual choices. I enjoy Rollins, Moon, Preston & Child, Morrison, etc. I thought this book was lighter reading than those authors usually provide. I thought the tech was fun. Utopia provided an intriguing look at what I think many theme parks today try to do. It was just a terrific break from the usual blood/gore/psychopathy that fills so many tech thrillers today. Now there was bloodshed but not excessive and the tech brought an almost scifi quality to the book. If you are looking for well written lighter tech fare by a talented, skilled author, choose this book. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
loved it, but I always enjoy his books. Good plot and character development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Ride with Child, June 19, 2014
Lincoln Child again asserts his strength as a story teller with all the twists and turns of a roller coaster.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wild ride, June 17, 2014
This is a gripping story of a futurisitic theme park taken hostage by some very bad guys and the struggles of several heros to thwart their evil plot. The description of the technologies which might we used in parks of the future were very realistic and the story moves quickly - really packed a punch

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable!, June 4, 2014
Not as enjoyable as I had hoped. Plot sounded good, price was good, but it was so very predictable. I knew the inside bad guy before I finished the 3rd chapter. I knew how it would end before half way in. Characters were weak and somewhat wishy washy. Wasn't the roller coaster (pun intended) ride I was prepared for. All in all not a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on Tight!, May 26, 2014
This is a doozie of a ride. The story twists and turns with excellent characters and thrilling descriptions of a fantastical theme park. I really love Lincoln Child's ability to develop believable characters that you love and loath. You can't get away from this story it is so vivid you'll want to read cover to cover.

Utopia
Utopia by Thomas More (Paperback - April 25, 2013)
Used & New from: $0.01