5.0 out of 5 stars Top-quality, comfortable, and convenient face shield
Published on January 11, 2012 by Gilman Wong

3.0 out of 5 stars True to description. Enormous to wear.
I purchased this product thinking it would be face fitting because the image looks like it would fit ones face much like a mask. However this product was enormous and bulky. It was true to the description, the glass is fog proof and strong. construction is sturdy and assembly easy. I just didn't like it.
Published 18 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-quality, comfortable, and convenient face shield, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Uvex S8510 Bionic Shield, Black Matte Face Shield, Clear Polycarbonate Anti-Fog/Hardcoat Lens (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Uvex Bionic Shield (also known as the Spherion Bionic Shield...same company) is a face shield designed to protect you from flying debris when doing activities like working with a lathe or rotary tools. While it does offer full face protection, it does not seal against your face and will not offer sufficient protection against say chemical splashes. It can be used as secondary protection but suitable protective googles or such should be used as primary protection in such environments.

In my case, I was hit in the forehead by a piece of a grinding disk from a Dremel tool. While my polycarbonate lenses would have prevented a severe eye injury, I did end up with a cut above my eyebrow and immediately started shopping for full-face protection...just like my old shop teacher said I should.

I opted for the Uvex because of strong reviews and ease of finding replacement shield inserts. And, I admit it, it looks cool.

The Uvex is lightweight yet sturdily constructed and there are many design elements that enhance safety, comfort, and convenience.

The head band is adjustable in 2-dimensions: depth and circumference. Range of adjustment is quite good...I could even get it to fit my 7 year old. Depth, or how high it sits on your head, is adjusted by a pin-and-hole strap (like an inexpensive ball cap) over the top of you head. Circumference is adjusted by a dial at the back of the band. You must depress the dial before turning it, a safety feature that prevents the convenient dial control from being accidentally loosened while in use. The strap is padded at the front and the back, but not on the top strap (it could use a bit of padding there, so I might add my own).

The shield itself consists of a black shell or frame that runs around the perimeter of the shield. The shield offers a wide angle of view and the shell offers side protection. The shell is swept back a bit at the top and bottom, offering some additional protection to the forehead and chin/neck. There is enough room and adjustability that even long faces should be able to fit.

The frame attaches to the head band via a screw knob on each side, around which the frame can swivel up and down. At these hinge locations are two plastic clips that provide the two detents at which the shield can be positioned. In addition, this is where you can adjust the depth and angle at which the shield sits in the closed position. The angle is easily adjusted in 4 positions by pulling the clip to one of 4 pin positions. The depth is adjusted by fully loosening the knobs and placing the plastic hinge bolt in one of two provided holes.

The bolts can be used to adjust the hinge pressure, but the detents seem sufficiently stiff (at least when new) to hold the shield in position even when the knobs are somewhat loose. However, the detents are not so strong that you can't close the shield with a quick up/down bob of your head.

The lens itself is clear and distortion free, although there are some back reflections. Dust can be a problem, but on par with most face shields I have used. An anti-static coating would have been nice and I will experiment with some anti-static sprays. Also, an anti-reflective coating would have been nice as well, but it would raise the price considerably as well as possibly lowering the scratch resistance. The shield ships with a blue translucent protective film on both the front and back surfaces of the lens. I found that you need to remove the lens in order to easily pull off the film. This can be done by pulling the bottom of the frame down and toward the back until the bottom edge of the lens pops free. With this range of adjustment, I have no trouble getting a comfortable and fog-free depth.

Overall, this seems like the best face shield on the market in its class. It is very comfortable and convenient, which is very important as the best shield is the one that you will actually bother to wear consistently without exception. It is on the expensive side, but the accident I had that prompted me to get a full-face shield I think it's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars UVEX S8510 face shield, December 19, 2010
It is all it says it is: sturdy; very clear lens shield; and fog resistant. It is comfortable and the different shield positions work well. When the shield is flipped up I forget I have it on and actually bump into things with it. The size adjustment mechanism is quick and easy (DON'T have to pop the headband off of buttons and reposition. I am working in a COLD garage (20 F or less) on a wood lathe, table saws or the grinder, I feel protected and it hasn't fogged at all. Well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have a suggestion, October 11, 2011
I have just taken down a very negative review and am replacing it with this one. The reason is that I made a doofus mistake, but I have to wonder if I am the only one. The mistake is ...... groan ....... that I failed to notice that the faceshield comes with a peel off protective plastic sheet ..... on both sides of the shield. Since the shield was already installed on the mask I just assumed that it came that way, and the shield was therefore almost unuseable because it was barely translucent. If there was a warning notice, I didn't recognize it. My suggestion for Uvex is that they place a prominent red sticker on the shield that points out to those of us who are, well, dumb ....... that the protective film does need removing. I am really hoping that this review helps someone .... else.

5.0 out of 5 stars deadeye, January 12, 2011
This the best face shield I have ever had. It is extremely clear and provides excellant protection.
I wear it anytime I am cutting or grinding metal. I really like the fact that it doesn't fog up. I wear it more than any I had before because it is comforable. It is so clear I have to check sometimes to make sure I have it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great face shield!, June 23, 2011
I had been using an old, cheap face shield while turning at my lathe and found that I was constantly lifting it up or taking it off to see what I was working on. The Uvex is comfortable, crystal clear and I wear it for extended periods of time without being bothered by it in any way. I wish I would have bought one of these years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable & Sturdy Eye and face protection!, February 6, 2011
I am a full time Knife maker and sharpener,
Sometimes I have to get my face way too close to a fast moving "up to 2800 ft per min" Grinding/ sanding belt.

The amount of steel debris & wood dust flying at your face can be pulverizing while roughing in a blade out of a Piece of Stainless steel or even when shaping a wooden/Micarta knife handle.
This face shield is the first of several I have purchased over the years that is comfortable with glasses and a Nose/Mouth respirator strapped present.

The anti fog coating does bring down the light level some, I guess that's to be expected? The glare is also greatly reduced and that is very welcome, Wearing prescription glasses with most face shields gives me so many glare spots that it becomes a hazard.

The anti fog really does work and I have brought in more lighting to compensate and am now able to have a very reasonable feeling of comfort and safety during these intense grinding periods.

The head harness adjusts very easily to my extra large fat head and I can even fit a ball cap on, Bill to the rear with a bandanna under the cap to give added coverage for the back of my neck against all the air borne dust, Dirt and projectiles.

This product is well worth the money and it was at my door in less than 36 hours with their standard shipping!

I gladly give her a ***** Star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, just treat it gently, July 6, 2012
I agree with another reviewer, the clear lens scratches VERY easily, and in no time if you don't baby it will become cloudy. The good news is they have replacement lenses, but if like me it's been left out, dropped about, and used heavily, the padded band will also be grungy so I might just buy a whole new unit. Still, at least a dozen times grinding away at cement block I've gotten a pretty good "TINK" to the lens area to remind me it's worth the cost. The main reason I bought this is because I always seem to fog up any goggle, no matter what new technology (marketing) they have for venting, and doing extended work even in high humidity is no problem with this. The added bonus you protect more of your face. This has been a great purchase in remodeling my house. The strap will bother you after a time, but no more than goggles would from a tight strap much less the pressure around the bridge of your nose. It can be awkward in tight spaces, or just walking about with the shield lifted, and more than a couple times I've unexpectedly caught or bumped a wall/joist/stud with it. It is large enough for me (and most people I imagine) to wear a respiratory mask underneath.

I would recommend cleaning it with any moderate use, gently rinsing it first then using soap and water for anything staying on it. You can and should from time to time remove the lens to do this. As long as you don't leave it outside like I have, don't throw it constantly to the ground like I have, and keep it from landing/resting face down where the lens can make contact with the ground, it should last a considerable amount of time before you see any hazing of the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Shield does not fog up!!!!!!!!, September 8, 2011
I brought this to protect me while I use my grinder. One thing I like about this face shield it protect the my chin and neck area. Other face shields leave those area of my body expose. When you have a hot piece of metal hit your neck lets just say it's no fun. So if you want total face protection look no further. Plus, the price is nice, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Wood Turning, August 12, 2011
I got in to wood turning earlier last year and quickly realized I needed a face shield. I didn't wanna spend 200 bucks on one that is a full respirator as I only expect larger chunks of wood while turning, not fine dust.

This mask is very reasonably priced, fits well and covers your entire face. This is the anti-fog model and so far hasn't really fogged up whatsoever. It is comfortable to wear for a few hours and extremely clear.

This thing is just great. If you're in need of a mask this is the one to get.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value - Already saved my eyes., January 16, 2013
I began using this shield without exception the day it arrived. It's already saved my eyes from a blown out walnut blank that threw a chunk of wood right at my eye. Trust me. There's not enough time to even close your eyes, let alone dodge when a chunk of wood comes at you from the lathe.

Thank you, Uvex!

Note: There is enough room to wear sound attenuators (mickey mouse ears) when using this shield. You might need adjust the placement of the ear cups, but they will fit and the shield can still raise out of the way without removing them.

ARRAY(0xa35b1780)