5.0 out of 5 stars Misnamed but actually very goood!
I feel like these things are getting negative reviews based on the name and thus expectation of them being merely bass monsters. I got these free with a Amazon promotion with the purchase of the M/V-80 on ears so I didn't buy them for bass nor did I have any expectations (they were giving them away for free after all, how good could they be).
Well I was pleasantly...
Published 23 months ago by stan w.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good audio, short life
These are surprisingly good sounding earbuds for the price. But regardless of how well they sound, what good are earbuds that blow out after several months of gentle use? I have gone through 3 pairs of the Octave Hi-def model which looks similar if not identical to the "Bass" model, and not one of them lasted more than 7 months. One side always blows out. And this...
Published 13 months ago by R. Sanders

5.0 out of 5 stars Misnamed but actually very goood!, February 15, 2013
This review is from: V-MODA Bass Freq Metal 1-Button Mic In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone for Android/Windows/Blackbery (Gunmetal Black) (Electronics)
Well I was pleasantly surprised with the sound and build! No these aren't bass head IEMs. They are under the bassfreq line but are actually called Bassfreq metal VOCAL. They have adequate bass and aren't short of bass at all IMO. The real surprise is the midrange is very good and the highs nice and sparky without harshness or sibilance. My other IEMs CURRENTLY are: Beyer dynamics dtx/mmx-101, Nuforce 700x and 770x, Brainwavz R1, Klipsch S4 and Munitio nines. I've also had Soul by Ludicris SL49 and SL99's. These free V-moda's have the best frequency response of ALL of them!. Hell I like the tuned curve even better than the M80 on ears. Its the ONLY headphone I don't eq at all! Its not flat, its tuned with moderate low end and top end sparkle. Mids aren't significantly recessed or taking a back seat. Its tuned just the way I use my eq to tune all my other headphones.The brainwavz with dual drivers is a bit more airy but otherwise these easily hold its own with all the IEMs I have!. Not bad for an IEM "thrown in" with another purchase. So yes you'll be disappointed if your looking for a basshead IEM but if your looking actually looking for an all around good sounding IEM these are a steal @ under $50. Much better than say the $35 Nuforce 770x in build and sound. Much better control of bass than say the Beyerdynamics dtx-101s. I would say these are for someone making a transition from bass head over to the dark side of audiophile without getting overwhelmed with a flat curve or boring analytical sound. 5 stars for the price, I'd give them a 4 star if they cost $100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Headphones for the Money, December 3, 2011
These headphones I bought for a great price at a radioshack at a discounted price.

First, let me say that these are headphones for people who don't mind a bit of bass. I don't consider myself a bass head, but I do enjoy some hefty bass in my phones. The bass is great in these headphones, however, it does bleed a little in to the mids, but doesn't compromise much of the quality of the sound. The bass isn't punchy, but still very present. The highs are pretty good, a little flat, but still strong. The sound is not very muddled, however, despite being a bass heavy phone.

The noise isolation in these phones is probably the best I have ever had in the earbud design. Even with the music turned way down, it blocks out all of the surrounding noise in a relatively loud place (like a mall), however, on streets you can still barely hear the cars whizzing by.

The build quality seems to be very good. These are the metal versions of the v-moda bass freq, so they have more weight than the plastic versions that cost less. The cords are thin but well-built and the aux jack is at a 45 degree angle, which is a great mix of utility and sturdiness. The silicone tips to the earbuds are soft and isolate the noise very well. These headphones are extremely comfortable.

The in-line remote is good. There are two versions to the remote - a one button, or three button. I have the three button and it works well with my iPhone and iPod Touch. The volume buttons are raised and the center button is lowered, so you can easily find which button you want to push.

Overall, these earbuds are great for listening music on the go and are great for travel. The build quality is very good and produces better than average sound for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., October 17, 2012
I am a huge fan of the sound V-Moda puts out so decided to upgrade from my current V-Moda BF Black earphones. The only problem with them was the wire at the bridge weakened so I have to wrap rubber bands around them to hold the wire in place...other than that they still work fine. I was searching for a higher end sound so got these.

For starters, they do produce a cleaner sound and you can hear the bass reproduction much cleaner compared to the BF's. But, in order to really benefit from the bass response, you need an eq setting that enhances it which to me takes away from the earphones. My original BF headphones produced awesome bass and with an eq sounded as good as some higher end headphones costing over $100...and I've heard everything from Bose, Klipsch, Sennheiser (I own 2 pair)to Sony, JVC, Skullcandy, etc.

In all fairness, these earphones are not bad, but if you're looking for out of the box bass, you will not get it with these. Once again, be mindful to have a media player with eq settings to enhance the bass and you'll be pretty happy with these as the treble and mid range is quite nice with this model.

The ONLY drawback is the control unit. If you are using an Android phone, this is NOT the set for you! The only control that works is the play button allowing you to start and stop media. So if you're buying this for ease of function, make sure you're getting a set that is compatible with your phone. It could be possible there is an available app that will allow function of the control unit so feel free to explore if you feel the need to buy these for your Android device.

Over all, I'm pretty happy with these earphones but was most definitely expecting more bass frequency based on my V-Moda BF set...this being an upgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, nice sound., April 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a lot of trouble finding ear buds that don't hurt after even just a few minutes. I have even tried other V-MODA ear buds before, with no luck. Luckily, I decided to give these a try because I have finally found a good fit!

My first impression of these was when I was taking them out of the box. They just looked right. The shiny black "gun metal" really makes for an eye catching set of ear buds. They were a little bit of a pain to get out of the packaging, and the extra ear cushions went flying once I did get it open. Luckily the cushions already on the ear buds was the one for me!

You also get a little velvet bag to keep the ear buds in when you aren't using them. I will probably never use it for that, but it is great to keep change from jangling in my purse.

The sound quality on these is much better than other ear buds I've used in this price range. I really like how the bass comes out! This is great for when I am exercising or just want to relax.

Using this with my Android phone I really did not notice the "thin highs" that other reviewers mentioned. Of course, I am by no means an audiophile and just need a comfortable set of ear buds to let me listen to my music in peace!

Overall: Very nice, 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value All Around!, April 12, 2013
Great for a low price. Seem to be very sturdy. These headphones give you big sound (lovely bass) a rugged and sturdy form of these headphones. The very cable alone is worth consideration, as it has a very unique input, which would probably would alleviate the common cable problems that some of us have already dealt with. Great For Hip-Hop / Rap!

These are my new favorites! Ups to V-Moda!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great earbuds w/ a mic for listening to EDM while running., November 11, 2013
V-Moda Bass Freq Metal 3-Button Apple (Nero) Review

First off, I am really picky when it comes to ear buds. I was born with horrible designed ear canals that often hurt when it comes to using ear buds for longer than twenty minutes. At home I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6sSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil and Audio Technica ATH-M30s, so I've listened to "good" headphones but I am definitely not an audiophile, maybe a novice if applicable.

OK, so I needed a new pair of ear buds. Originally I have used MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 for a year. They worked very well, very good at noise isolation, when I clapped my hands some sound would be heard still. I liked how those ear buds were supported by my ear. But I accidentally ripped one of the wires to the ear bud during summer of 2013 so I was left with the ear buds from the Samsung Galaxy S4. Those were alot worse, hurt my ears, and now I am somewhat glad that one of my dogs ate the ear buds.

After running once with the ATH-M30s, I knew I looked incredibly silly, so after a payday I wanted a new pair of ear buds. I wanted to get something louder than the Sport-Fi M6, preferably with bass. I did not know what I was looking for, I looked at the Sennheiser CX300 & 280 as I do like their PXC 250 alot. Also looked at JLabs, some JVCs, & Sonys too. It took me awhile to browse, I really wanted to try those twist to fit Sennheisers as one reviewer said they worked very well. Before I bit the bullet, I saw some V-Modas variations, because their Crossfades are rated very well. After a few looking around, I found these in my favorite Electronics color, black. Had to get them. So I bought them and I was very surprised that Amazon shipped them to me on Sunday (bought it late Friday night).

Build Quality:
Opened them up, they come with three different ear buds and a little soft fabric bag to hold them. V-Moda is printed on the bag with their "-v-" symbol but it seems it would wear over time. Cute stuff, but I needed to know how well they played. The 3.5MM jack is interesting because its not a plain straight one or right angle, rather its kinda like a broken wishbone, pistol or half of a peace symbol without the outer circle. THAT might be a bother to some users, it is different from what I'm used to but it doesn't apply to my Galaxy S4 with the running armband or Otterbox Defender case. I am not sure if these are waterproof and I won't take that chance. For the ear bud wires the main cord is decently sized, not super thick but very flexible. I had gotten the 3 button one and I am sure it will take time to remember the placement of the buttons. When the wire splits to the ear buds it gets definitely thinner and the cylinder piece that holds it seems plasticy, but looks very nice still. Now I don't think this wire will be very sturdy, but the Sport-Fi M6 had a reinforced wire that ripped easily when I gave it a good tug underneath heavy blankets. The actual ear buds are made of metal or a nice metalic plastic. It looks very nice with the small grooves, definitely well built.

The Sound:
So I plugged it in, played some AFX, I immediately felt the bass I was searching for. Like driving a car with a decent sound system, I felt the bass but only in my ears. I was immediately in love with the sound. They isolate sound very well, better than the M6. So that night I listened to more EDM and classical. They work very very good, I have gotten tired of the piercing sound the MDR-V6s give out on some of the vocals, but those are monitor headphones and aren't necessarily for everyday listening (still great never the less). You can hear the musicians hand movement very well when it comes to the strings. When it comes to the EDM there isn't much distortion in there and when it comes to bass heavy songs, the ear buds don't distort too much when it comes to the big booms, they can still produce sounds. I am sure if I had spent $50 I would of gotten less distortion but, well 30 dollars seemed like a good deal, plus I wasn't sure if it had a mic for phone calling. I am very happy with the sound I do get, Hard Rock will sound fine with these as well.

While running:
I was immediately in love with these, but I knew I had to run with em. My ears do get uncomfortable, but they seem to be better then the M6 by a lot. I would just move them a bit when I would be bothered. As I said they isolate sound very well, which means they don't let any sound leak through. So I put them on and started to run. I had forgotten to snap on the attachment that pinches clothings so the cord doesn't bounce around. I grabbed the cord and threw it behind my head over my shoulder, it worked very well. A reviewer made a comment upon how it crackles when the jack is moved. From the running it does move a bit, so a little bit of wiggling it around and it stopped conflicting with my shirt. But the crackle sound was very small from what I was used to. Today just happened to be a cool day so I didn't sweat that much but the ear buds stay well in place in my ear canals and they don't bug me much as the wire doesn't touch the side of my face. It was a very fun run, the sound I wanted felt very good. I did get uncomfortable while wearing them yes, but that is my ears fault. Compared to the M6 I would often adjust them because they would somewhat loosed while running, these however stayed in place well.

The drawback:
There is a drawback on these but it isn't something that really bothered me. I had gotten the 3 button model but when it comes to using it on my S4 w/ AOKP rom, the only button that works is the Pause/Play button. The volume buttons do not work for my media, but I don't see it as a big deal because my phone is in reach. I do not believe it works as a volume controller for a laptop either. I am not sure if it needs extra software for android or how well it works for iPhone, but it is not a hassle for me. So for what its worth the one button model may suit ya (or none but I am not sure if it has a mic). For my voice quality I had did a quick call for my brother, he did not complain about the quality but I do not intend to be yacking on this device anyways, just didn't want to look retarded while holding my phone to talk. The jack is also something that may bug people as it could be bumped into oblivion and break because of it. I am not sure how strong the wires are but I will not try to lift my phone from the ground by using the headphone wires.

Final notes:
I know there are many many different types of headphones and ear buds out there for under 50 dollars. I had nabbed em for $30 and these are supposidly worth 70 bucks. I do not doubt that they are, as I paid nearly as much for the MDR-V6 during Black Friday of 2012. The Sennheiser CX's are still on my list so I'm probably going to buy them next year. I will hopefully update it and compare them to these. I am not into brand devotion in the headphone market, so I'd like to try different companies as well.

I've only owned these for two days, but for out of the box performance I do like them very much. I am not sure if they need to be broken into yet but if they do that'll be a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL bargain!, September 23, 2012
Wow! I wandered in to Radioshack looking for a nice pair of noise cancelling ear buds and the nice sales gal directed me to these. They were under $35. About a year ago I bought my husband the Bose noise cancelling ear buds and paid $99. They are NOT noise cancelling at all. A real rip off. I have found that price does NOT dictate quality in ear buds or noise reduction or noise cancelling. I wanted them for airline travel, and when hubby snores in bed while I am trying to hear my music or watch a movie on my droid phone. THESE ARE REMARKABLE!! LOVE THEM! If I lose them or they break, they were inexpensive enough that I will not get too upset. The sales gal told me she had bought the same ones quite awhile ago and they were still holding up, not falling apart and work really well. She also told me to try them and if I didn't like them to return them. THEY ARE KEEPERS!!They come with a nice little black bag to store them in, so I just throw them in my purse in the little bag. You also get two other sets of silicone ear adapters, so three in all; small, medium & large. I looked all over our big mall for noise cancelling ear buds. Many different brands at all crazy price points ........like $200 for the Dr's to $14.95 for the generic brands. Can't believe I could have found any that would work better at any price. You won't be sorry if you buy these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for free, April 10, 2013
Received these headphones free for purchasing the V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphones. And they are actually quite good. I keep them in my purse for on the go listening pleasure while shopping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice ear buds for the price, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are very nice earbuds. You don't have to pay a fortune for them, and they work very well for me. I like the case that comes with it, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buds for the price, January 21, 2013
These earbuds have great sound. They a little more bass than my Beats by Dr. Dre. I didn't notice any distortion in sound that I've had in cheaper buds bought in the past. I bought these for my daughter for Christmas, and she uses them almost every day. (Of course, I had to try them out.) The wires seem sturdy enough to hold up to lots of use, and they are very comfortable. My daughter loves them.