V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-the-Ear Headphones (Gunmetal Black)
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackChange
Price:$137.31 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 19, 2012
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
The V-Moda Crossfade LP over-the-ear headphones are the result of an over 4-year effort to provide music enthusiasts with quality sound, unbeatable durability and a style all their own.

After spending some time with my new set of "cans," I am now able tell you whether or not they were successful in that endeavor.

In the past I have used a variety of headphones and ear-buds that were produced by different manufacturers; including Sony, Skullcandy, Bose and JVC. My current pair of ear-buds are great for working out, travel or as the "utility" pair that I always have handy in my bag for convenience. I also use a pair of basic Bluetooth headphones for when I want to go wireless while walking the dogs or doing things around the house. Beyond that, there is also my pair of Sony monitor headphones that I used to use while doing sound editing for my podcast.

As a MASSIVE (pls see: seriously...massive) music fan that listens to a very diverse range of musical genres, I wanted to get a pair of high-end over-the-ear headphones that I could use everyday, that would also be great at noise isolation while traveling and that would deliver high-fidelity performance that would allow me to hear every note of my beloved music.

I had been looking at the Bose QuietComfort® 15 headphones due to the fact that I own a number of Bose systems (i.e. Bose Companion 5 & Bose Soundlink speaker) and have never been disappointed. However, I didn't necessarily want to spend $300...not to mention the fact that the QuietComfort is a little lacking in the style department, albeit a great pair of headphones.

I purchased my pair of the Crossfade LP headphones through Amazon...which I recommend, as you will get them for a better price than buying directly though the V-Moda website.

--Looks Matter--

These headphones are stylish as hell. Period.

They come in an assortment of colors and customizable metal shields, but I chose to go with the Gunmetal version (pictured). The white ones look too much like Beats by Dre (which I think are overpriced for the quality of sound that you get) and the Chrome was a little too flashy. The Gunmetal was juuuuuust right and better suits my personal style the most.

Also, on more than one occasion I have been stopped and asked about them.

Beyond that, there is a nice combination of metal and matte finish...coupled with leather, steel and memory foam (cups & headband).

--What's in the Box?--

Other than arriving in very cool packaging - including a metal lid snap and a faux crocodile handle (a nice touch) - you will also receive:

* A stylish / hard exoskeleton storage & carrying case to hold, protect and transport your headphones

* Two tangle-resistant Kevlar-braided cables. One is a standard headphone cord (thicker & slightly longer), while the other cable doubles as a headphone & headset cord for Apple devices, including a microphone and remote control.

I tested the smartphone cable on my Galaxy Nexus and the remote on the cord did not answer calls (seems to only work on Apple devices). However the mic and headset works fine if you answer calls directly from your phone. Callers said that I sounded perfectly clear and that they could understand me just fine.

* A microfiber cloth to wipe away any pesky and unsightly fingerprints that may find their way onto the shiny metal shields

* Gold-plated plug tips to help ensure a good connection between your audio source and the headphones

* A 1/4 jack adapter, for those who may need or want to plug their headphones into a larger stereo receiver or DJ mixer

* A free carabiner. Due to the bulky nature of the carrying case, this can be used to affix your headphones to the outside of a messenger / carry-on / book bag etc.

--Durability & Build--

According to V-Moda's website, the Crossfade LP's offer "military-grade durability." I have found this statement to be true in the sense that there is nothing about the build quality that screams "cheap" or "fragile." Many headphones will feel light and flimsy (i.e. all plastic), or that a bend in the wrong direction will simply snap them in half. Thanks to the metal that has been incorporated into the design, the Crossfade's have a very nice weight to them, while still feeling light enough in terms of wearability and comfort.

Connecting the headband to the ear cups are bands of rigid steel. The headband itself is an ergonomic steelflex material that can be twisted and laid flat a number of times (although, I don't recommend it!) before you could reasonably expect any damage to occur.

V-Moda also offers a 2-year warranty, in addition to an "Immortal Life Program" in which they will replace any broken headphones (of the same model) for 50% off the price, or a heavy discount on a newer model. To me this clearly states, "We stand behind our products," which I greatly appreciate.

Also, thanks to the fact that the cords are detachable, you will no longer have to worry about buying an entirely new pair of headphones simply because a cord wears out, gets frayed or damaged. I especially like this, as I am not a fan of the "Y" shaped headphone cords that connect to both earpieces. As an added bonus, the cables can double as a AUX cord...for instance, if you want to connect your phone or iPod directly to your car stereo.

Another feature design that I really like, is the fact that each cable has a plug - the one that would connect to your source device - that is at a 45-degree angle. Anyone who has ever had their cord ripped out simply by catching it on something, will really appreciate this `feature,' which is intended to prevent accidentally yank outs.

Additionally, you can order any part that you may need through V-Moda...including new cords or even the 50mm drivers, should you need / want to replace them for whatever reason.

--Comfort--

The earpads on the headphones are surrounded by a very soft leather-wrapped memory foam, as is the interior of the headband. At first I was a little concerned, as they initially felt tight and slightly uncomfortable after about an hour of wear. However, this began to disappear considerably after wearing them for a few days - thanks to the headband being very flexible - and the headphones began to stretch and mold to fit my head better, in addition to the memory foam. Now, they are extremely comfortable and I barely notice that I am wearing them; therefore be sure to allow a few days for them to `adjust' to the shape of your head and I'm confident that you will experience the same improvement in comfort as I did.

I also found that the noise isolation was very good, due to the fact that the earpads actually rest against your head and not against your ears. This full coverage contributes greatly to the sound isolating properties of the headphones, not to mention the sound quality of the music that you listen to, as your ears are fully encased and surrounded by the soft memory foam pads.

Notice that I say noise "isolating" and not "cancelling." The Crossfade LP's are not a powered device (like the Bose QuietComfort 15), therefore they do not require a battery or emit a noise canceling wave to block out all ambient sounds. I have found that the noise isolation is quite good and does an admirable job of blocking out most surrounding sounds to a dull murmur at best. I have not had a chance to use them on a plane yet (the real test, in my book), but from my experience so far, I am not expecting it to be an issue. So, if you travel by bus, plane or subway, I feel confident in saying that ambient noise should not be an issue at all with these headphones.

As I mentioned previously, the use of metal and steel adds a nice weight to these `cans' (they feel like high-end headphones), but I do not think that they affect comfort at all. Again, after wearing them for a few days, they are now very comfortable and I have gone for hours on end without taking them off...ear-sweat notwithstanding. ;)

--"Yeah, But How Do They SOUND?"--

According to V-Moda, they spent four years working with world-renowned DJ's to develop and engineer the CrossFade LP's. Was the time and money well spent?

When I first received the headphones and plugged them in, I was very impressed by the sound on some tracks...and not so much by others. It appears that the headphones (and their impressive 50mm Dual-Diaphragm Drivers) were originally developed for fans of hip-hop, R & B, dance music and techno, due to what appeared to be a very bass heavy sound. Mind you, I like a nice solid bass response in my music, but the mids also sounded a little muddy and the highs had a slight echo...therefore I was not initially blown away.

However, there is a process called "burning in" for a new pair of higher-end headphones. The theory behind breaking in a speaker is that they come from the factory a little stiff. The surrounds need to be stretched and exercised. The best way to do this is to burn them in by playing roughly 24 hours worth of music through them at a normal volume. Some speakers require this, while others do not.

Since I had heard that others had experienced the same problem, I set to burning in my pair. One Day 1, I listened to roughly 5 hours of music in my office. Later that evening, I plugged them into my laptop, launched Spotify and left it continuously playing through the night into the morning. The difference in sound was nothing short of amazing!

After properly burning them in, I could very easily tell the difference between how they sounded out of the box and how they sounded once I had a chance to break them in. The bass was nice and smooth, the mids were very warm and the treble was clean. Also, regardless of musical genre, the headphones sounded wonderful across the board using a flat response (i.e. no EQ).

Therefore, if you decide to pick up a pair, I highly recommend (Nay, require) that you properly burn them in before making an judgement on their sound. Once I did, I heard parts of my favorite songs that I didn't even know existed! The sound difference coming through the headphones was just incredible, trust me on this.

Primarily I am an `alt rock' guy: Phoenix, Silversun Pickups, Vampire Weekend, The Black Keys, Cold War Kids, Young the Giant etc. But I also listen to a lot of jazz, some hop-hop, classical, hard rock and more. However - thanks to burning in the headphones - it didn't matter if it was Thelonius Monk, The Lumineers, Tool, Bach, Beethoven, Jay-Z or Tribe Called Quest...all of them sounded stellar through these cans.

Bottom Line: The Crossfade LP's were absolutely worth the money that I spent and I would recommend them to anyone who is interested in picking up a pair of quality over-the-ear headphones at a decent price. They are great for music, gaming, movies and/or drowning out annoying relatives & co-workers. ;)

At launch a couple of years ago they sold for $249. Later they dropped to $199. Currently they can be found online for about $120, due to the fact that a newer version has been released recently. I picked mine up from Amazon for $79, thanks to it being their `Deal of the Day' - an absolute no-brainer at that price - and a 1/4 of what I would have spent for the Bose QuietComfort 15.

--A Quick Note About Power--

When it comes to headphones like this, a lot of people do not realize that they were not necessarily intended to be used with under-powered devices such as cell phones and iPods...there is just not enough juice in these devices to push high-end headphones to their full potential. Therefore, please note that the source device you use - whether a laptop, desktop, receiver or smartphone - is going to be the most important factor in how your headphones perform.

For instance, my $3000 laptop (apparently) has a crappy sound card, because my other $500 laptop plays music so loudly and well through these headphones that I practically blow my face off. My Galaxy Nexus plays music just fine, but the use of an equalizer makes a BIG difference in the sound...same goes for the difference between the quality of streaming music (i.e. Spotify, Pandora) versus that of higher quality music files that might be saved directly on my phone.

An easy remedy to ensure that you are getting the best out of your headphones, is the use of a portable headphone amplifier. There are ones that you can pick up for over $100, but I recommend the much cheaper Fiio E6 or E11

Now, for simply listening at work, going for a walk or hitting the gym, you don't really need to use a portable amp. But if you are going to be in a noisy environment, on a plane or perhaps you just want to provide cleaner and more powerful audio to your headphones so that you can take better advantage of what they are capable of, then I recommend picking one up. The E6 (pictured) and the E11 are rechargeable and you will definitely notice a difference in sound.

My CrossFade LP's are plenty loud for most everyday situations and portable devices; but I when I am traveling I prefer to completely block out airplane noise...and other passengers for that matter. Since an amp is an extra device that you are attaching to your smartphone / iPod, it's a little easier to manage when you are going to be sitting for a bit. However, they do come with a clip and there are a variety of accessories that you can use to attach it to your device to make using one while on-the-go a lot less cumbersome.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
843 of 1,043 people found the following review helpful
on October 6, 2010
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal Black
I strongly urge anyone considering these headphones to go see them in person first.(like at the apple store)

I got these headphones in August after a coworker recommended them. He got his off Amazon and I got mine from the Apple store.
The speaker drivers themselves are great. Good balance of bass and treble across a wide range of music. The Crossfades seem well constructed and light. I use them only at work for about 4hrs a day and was happy for about a month. They stay on my desk when not in use and have never left the office

Unfortunately after a month I noticed the the inner plastic band where the metal adjustment bar that connects the phones to the padding the goes over your head had completely cracked on both sides of the headphones. If you look at the pictures Amazon provides, look at the 6th picture(for the gunmetal version - [...]). The cracks appeared right above the crossfade logo where the 2 screws secure the plastic housing on both sides of headphones(tops of the V). The plastic wasn't just cracked on one screw on each side, it was crack on all 4 screws. This leads me to believe that they had some over-tightening problem when putting in the screws during manufacturing. A day after I discovered the crack, one of the plastic cracked fragments actually fell off the headphones, making it impossible for the headphones to keep tension on the metal adjustment bar.

I was sad to see this issue, given I had just dropped $250 on these headphones a month earlier. So I went and had a look at my co-workers set. SAME exact problem, cracks along the plastic on both sides of the headphones in the same 4 places where the screw look to have been over-tightened. The plastic had not fallen off on his yet, but he was equally pissed off at the quality of manufacturing.

Seriously, the rest of the headphone is well constructed of metal and solid plastic.... but the one location that would get the most stress has the cheapest made component??!?!? I don't have a particularly wide head, and I've DJ'd for years and know how to take care of expensive headphones. What a shame that an otherwise great sounding set of headphones could be wrecked by a defective 50cent plastic part.

Thankfully the Apple store allowed me to return the headphones beyond the 14day regular policy. We went over to the iPod demo section in the store where they had 4 crossfades out for display to use with the iPod/iphones, and guess what!!! 3 of the 4 had the same exact issue.

I think these headphones are so new that this problem will start to become more prevalent in the next few months for folks who bought them early on. I don't think this is a hard issue to fix with a redesign of that particular part (using metal). However it's probably going to require folks to send them back to the manufacturer.
9797 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
V-MODA CEO - VAL KOLTON

THIS IS PETE WEB PR AGENCY FYI http://www.webbpr.com/expertise.html, look at their clients and services:

"Sometimes you want your story splashed across the front page or leading the nightly news; other times you hope your story doesn't even show up in the briefs of the daily newspaper. You may want to encourage bloggers to talk about your product, or you may want to find the most cost-effective way to reach an extremely targeted business audience. It might be important to host a community meeting to tell neighbors about your project vision, or you may need a community education campaign to actually change public behaviors.

Whatever it is, Webb PR will recognize your needs, because we listen. And in a crisis, we're calm, collected and realistic. With 20 years under our belt, we've most likely been in a similar place before with another client. Nothing scares us. You tell us what your challenges are. We help you establish your communications goals, quickly get you organized, and produce what you need to sprint past expectations and report the measurable results."

THIS IS V-MODA AND OUR STORY

MILITARY-LEVEL DURABILITY
Crossfade LP has been out for 3+ years and is now among the top-ranked headphones out of 20,000+ headphones on Amazon primarily because of our FANATICAL COMMITMENT TO QUALITY. We take this extremely seriously as professionals, consumers and DJS depend on our products to work for years. We consider LP/LP2 the "workhorse" of the headphone industry that sets the standards in quality.

As you can see from the reviews, only a FEW people have had this problem out of the 100k+ units sold - it was very isolated in the first production run of 2,000 units. We fully back Crossfade LP with a 1-year warranty and a IMMORTAL LIFETIME 50% OFF PROGRAM. Rest assured, our six-star support team is there to back you up in the event you need anything.

V-WING EXPLANATION
Even though this only happened to a handful of people, I will share the "C.A.R.", or Corrective Action Report we did to improve reliability that now passes Military, MIL-STD-810g, test standards. On the first few units, some screws were "torqued" too tight. We implemented controls to make sure this does not happen and also changed the material to be even stronger. The reason a few at Apple store had the crack was because they are so tough that they were on display for MANY MONTHS vs most competitor plastic headbands that crack quickly and are replaced every day/week. In fact, we wanted to change the colors of the display models when they eventually broke, but most never did! Again, they were the first units before the improvements in torque/materials.

You can buy in confidence that the Crossfade LP will withstand much more abuse than the average headphones. Many DJs, including AVICII, EDX, Funkagenda, Norman Doray, Morgan Page and Kim Fai have used a single pair for years, 5+ nights a week (some up to 1000 gigs). My brother and co-founder of V-MODA is an active pilot in the military, so we truthfully get to beta-test in real-life military scenarios.

MIL-STD-810 STANDARDS:
Survives 70+ drops from 6' on concrete vs 5 of plastic headphones
Survives bending+twisting the headband vs 0 of plastic headphone headbands
Survives 1 million bends of the cable+plug vs industry average of 10,000 (100x)

View this video testing the Crossfade tank-like durability:

As a family owned company, "we put our money where are materials are". Your word of mouth and reviews allow us to make superior products with the highest quality metals, materials, ergonomics and innovations.

Internally, our motto is "V-MODA products can only fall somewhere between excellent and perfect".

Thanks for your support!

-V^V
Val Kolton
V-MODA CEO + OWNER
on April 27, 2013
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
Like most people looking for good headphones, i'm not an audiophile so i'm not gonna pretend to be one. I do appreciate good sound however and i understand that everyone has different preferences in this regard. And that is the very reason i got to love these headphones.

Sound
Yes, they do have a bit of base colouring to them, (not that it's a bad thing...) but these headphones respond very well to equalization. If i want to hear more highs, i can get it. The same goes for the mids and lows.

I recently compared these to my co-workers beats studio headphones (yea, i know.. big cliche, but i wanted those when i first started looking for over-ear stuff). when i heard the difference, i was sooo happy i got these instead. The base was good for certain genres, and when its good, its GOOD.. but when i tried to play something by The Script or Paramore, i was sadly dissapointed. And although i heard the crossfades are better at the bass heavy stuff (which it is), it performs very well all-round too.

Build Quality
The studios look great, but compared to the crossfades, they felt like COSTUME JEWELRY in my hands and on my head. Crossfades have a nice little weight to them that keeps u aware that u got something real on your head. (it stops me from knocking it against the car window. XD )
It fits a little snug and has a grip like most sennheisers do. Beware: the cup has a unorthodox shape, so it may or may not suit your ears. I have to just shift it from my right ear after an hour or so, but that's cuz of its shape. It's not a deal breaker though. Discomfort stops after a few seconds of rest. :D

For the most part, i'd recommend these to someone whos looking for something of considerable quality of both sound and build, looks great, wants to customize and is tired of seeing beats all over the place. ( i mean, Monster does have other headphones u know.. -_- )
Happy Listening!
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2011
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal Black
When I got my V-Moda headphones they were great. I used them several times a week on my commute and loved the sound quality and style. I tested most of the headphones available when I bought them and really thought these stood out from the rest. I've taken good care of them and always put them in my case when I'm not using them.

After having them for about 3 months, the right ear went out -- it seems as though it's a loose connection. I paid to have them shipped back to V-Moda and get a replacement pair, which arrived very quickly. I plugged them in -- exact same issue. It's as though they either sent me my original headphones back or replaced them with another broken pair without testing them.

I've tried them in several devices with the various cables, so I know it's not my MP3 player. I'm starting to get somewhat frustrated that I have to again pay to have them returned to V-Moda to get yet another pair. It's almost not worth it at this point and I am regretting not going with a more recognizable name.

Update: 12/22/2011:
After receiving a working replacement pair from V-Moda, I've been using these headphones without issue for over 9 months and have been working great. Revised my rating to 3 stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2011
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
...and I'm still in love!

Note: That "Design Flaw" has been fixed.

Sound: The Crossfade LP is very versatile. Although they are biased to bass driven songs, they still sound exceptionally clear. The bass is amazing, and deep. It is not booming like 12" JBL subwoofers, but it is solid, with a strong punch. Vocals sound smooth, and clear. You can hear the hiss when some artists say words ending with "s". Acoustic songs are great, the strumming of guitars sound warm, and you can hear several amounts of detail in songs, such as background vocals, and rhythm guitars. The highs of the Crossfade LP are something it can improve. It doesn't have that needle piercing, highs of cymbals from a drum kit being hit, but they do have a good amount of detail. They do all this without using a battery, or amplifier on my iPod! Yes, they sound even better on my computer, with tweaks to the EQ on iTunes you can make them sound to your liking. Raise the highs, add an extra kick to the bass, level off the mids, and you have a perfect sounding pair of headphones!

Durability: I originally purchased them in October of 2010, it is now December 3, 2011, and I can say these headphones were built to last! The Headband is constructed with memory foam type metal that shapes accordingly to your individual head. The headband is wrapped with leather, extra cushioning under the headband, and the V-Moda logo imprinted across the top of it. The headphone hinges are made of metal, and haven't lost the strength to hold the headphones, like others. The plates on the side of the headphones, where the speakers are located, are as well constructed of metal. Also the earcups are cushioned with memory foam, which hasn't torn, or lost its affect of blocking out exterior noise. The cable isn't a problem due to it being removable and replaceable.

Comfort: When I first put on the headphones, I was scared I would have to return them. The fit was very tight and uncomfortable, but after a week of wearing them I absolutely forgot about this issue. I can wear these headphones for days! The headphones go around your ear, so they don't hurt. The memory foam is soft, and once the headphone stretches to compliment your head, you'll love them.

Price: These Retail for $250, but from V-moda and the Apple store they sell for $200. I purchased them from Amazon for around $130, but I have seen them on sale for under $100. Although I don't think these headphones are worth $250, I wouldn't have a problem paying $200, and if you can get them for under $130 they are a steal! I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who wants a pair of high quality headphones for under $150.

Overall the Crossfade LP is a very solid pair of sounding headphones, that also look very nice. I choose my Crossfade LP over Beats by Dre any given day. They are the only headphones I use at my computer or on the go.
on February 22, 2011
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
Anyone who listens to rap hip hop electronic or anything like that will love these headphones. I've had these for a few months now and use them from 30 minutes to 2 hours everyday.

Pros:
-amazing bass(comparable to monster beats studio by Dre but not overpowering)
-great price for the value(less than half the price of monster beats studio by Dre with better build quality and sound)
-stays on head without smashing your ears
-don't make your ears sweat even after hours of listening
-ear cushions very comfortable and drown out outside noise
-carrying case good for travel
-my fingers will hurt if I type all the pros

Cons:
-upper headband thingy can get uncomfortable after a while but i have a big head so it probably won't be a big deal for you
-sounds bad with rock and metal so DO NOT BUY THESE IF THAT'S WHAT YOU LISTEN TO. Maybe if you play around with the EQ or something else it'll sound better but I still wouldn't recommend these if that's what you listen to.

There is nothing better out there for the price even if you'd pay $50-100 more. I did about a month of research before purchasing these so just save the time take my word and buy these!
btw my name's not missy she doesn't like rap but that's probably irrelevant so don't read this sentence whoops too late:p
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2013
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
I bought my V-Moda Crossfades during a Black Friday Amazon sale and have loved them ever since. They are sturdy, and comfortable, something that is rare in the world of under $100.00 headphones.

They are sealed so they block out most external sound and the person next to you is not forced to listen also...
They come with two cables, one with microphone control and the usual accessories such as an airplane jack and 1/8 to 1/4" plug adapters.
The case is nice, also feels sturdy and due to its design takes up much less space than other headphone cases I own.
THEY'RE COMFORTABLE! I can wear them for hours at a time.

I read from other folks that the major weakness of the build is in the cables. Come on folks, care needs to be used when using any electronics. Nothing is unbreakable. I have had mine for a long time now with no problems AT ALL. I highly recommend these Headphones.

As a footnote, the gunmetal grey are beautiful. I like the variation of available colors, especially if there is more than one person in the home using them...

Get them on a Gold Box offering if you can wait. They drop to 75 dollars a few times a year (at least they have been) and at the time of this review they are on sale with Amazon for 74.99. You will be very pleased.
on November 20, 2013
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
Bought these for my son to use during game play. His complaint is a lot of annoying static during much of his gaming so as you may guess we are quite disappointed when they don't sound nearly as good as the $30 Logitech set they were bought to replace. I had noticed the static when they were brand new and I was listening to music to loosen them up. Did not seem to help. Will have to contact the company to figure out a course of action. Hopefully we will be able to get satisfaction when all is said and done.

ON EDIT: After emails with V-MODA, I tried the headphones on additional sources, turns out the headphones are fine the jacks on my old laptop and son's front panel were the problem. Once we bypassed the front and went to the jacks on the back of the computer they have worked fine making for a happy son and household.

My apologies to V-MODA for doubting. May even end up with a set for dear ole dad before all is said and done.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
V-Moda went all out with the Crossfade LP. These headphones are spectacular! The sound quality, construction, and details are first-rate.

I've used Bose QuietComfort 2 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for years, and more recently the new Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones. Bose are the gold standard for headphones. How would the Crossfade LP stack up in a series of tests to compare the two?

Sound: The Crossfade LP had as wide of range as the QC15, but with more bass, a lot more bass. The over ear construction kept ambient sound out, allowing me to turn the volume of my iPod down compared to using earbuds.

Construction: The Crossfade LP feels solid with a gunmetal black frame, memory foam ear cushions, and a firm headband. The Crossfade LP do not require batteries like the Bose.

Style: The QC15 look rather sedate compared to the hip styling of the Crossfade LP. The difference is one of a DJ in a Hollywood club vs a Boeing engineer snoring in business class on a 747.

Cords and connectors: The Crossfade LP comes with 24k gold-plated plugs for minimal sound loss. One of my favorite features is the Kevlar reinforced cables. Normal cables are plastic and fragile, these look and feel like the shoe strings from hiking boots. Very cool. It comes with two cords, a regular cable and one with a 3-button remote with mic/volume and control features for many Apple products.

Are they worth the money? That's up to you. What I can say is the sound, construction, and features are excellent. The Crossfade LP appear that they will last for years to come.
on December 10, 2013
Size Name: ..Only Bluetooth 2.0Color Name: Gunmetal Black
Bought these during the holiday season last year (December 2012) and am very happy with them. Although I'm no audiophile, I did a ~40hour burn in using Jlab (@ [...] before I listened to any songs. I don't know if the burn in achieved anything, but I don't find the bass overpowering nor do I find the highs to be muddy. Sound-quality wise, I would say these are at least equal with the Beats Studios (if not better), and of course the price of these is much better. With regards to sound leakage: unless you enjoy listening to music at volumes that makes you lose brain cells i.e. full volume, leakage is not an issue. As for the reverse, sound isolation is pretty good (although it's not active, when you play your own music, it's very difficult to hear what's going on around you).

As for build quality and related info, I loosened all the screws on the winglets (the metal part on the headband) and re-tightened them to make sure they weren't overtightened. Comes with a cool exoskeleton case, two cords (one long one and a shorter one that has a 3-button remote + mic attached to it), and a 1/8" to 1/4" Stereo Plug Headphone Adapter jack. All of the above fits in the exoskeleton case. The remote works well with iOS. Lastly, the case, accessories, and ear cushions are all replaceable for a decent price from the V-MODA website.

I am yet to customize the shields (and winglets) on this, but I hope to do so soon.

All in all,
Pros: Good sound quality, comfortable, not too expensive, well-built (not flimsy), metal (as opposed to cheap plastic), cool looking, customizable, good accessories, and not owned by every other person you know.

Cons: None (that I have experienced).

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations