2,426 Reviews
 (1,711)

I haven't removed these headphones since they arrived three days ago. These are the most comfortable best sounding headphones I have ever put over or in my ears. Who would know that V-Moda would package Jimi Hendrix in the box and he would visit my house.

Published on July 23, 2010 by Daniel G. Lebryk

834 of 1,032 people found the following review helpful
The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars Caution - Has a serious design flaw
I strongly urge anyone considering these headphones to go see them in person first.(like at the apple store)

I got these headphones in August after a coworker recommended them. He got his off Amazon and I got mine from the Apple store.
Published on October 5, 2010 by Pete Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars May be Lifestyle Headphone - but they deliver outstanding audio, July 23, 2010
This review is from: V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-the-Ear Headphones (Gunmetal Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Looks can be deceiving; these are advertised as 'lifestyle' headphones. Oh by lifestyle, cool DJ's should wear these and super models will magically appear, or if you are female wearing them, super models will appear all handsome and unshaven. No normal person should ever put them on, and they will likely sound like garbage because all the money was put in the fancy marketing. Looks couldn't be more wrong.

These headphones are butter. They have a wonderful clear solid bass without ever being thumpy or over stressed pushing the low frequencies. The midrange is blended beautifully, voices are clear and precise. The only complaint is a slight closing up of the highs. Instead of that perfect high frequency edge, they sound slightly stressed at too much high frequency. That is not to say these are low rider car thumping bass heavy headphones, no quite the opposite, they are very well balance with a solid warm bass where lyrics are easy to understand.

The imaging in these headphones is exactly like listening to incredibly high end stereo floor standing speakers. I could very precisely hear the location of instruments whenever the recordings had that information. The piano was over here to the left, the drums centered in the back of my head, the guitar over here, and the vocals from this location...it was all there. Sometimes a soundstage that is too precise can be uncomfortable, my eyes dart all over looking for the instruments. That didn't happen with these headphones, they were just that good.

My frame of reference is Shure E3c's (in ear monitorsShure E3c Sound Isolating Earphones), Bowers and Wilkins P5 (over ear headphones Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile HiFi Stereo Headphones), and a just shy of audiophile home theater. There is no reason in the world to compare these to lesser ear buds. The Shure E3c's are very bright, I've had them for four or five years now. But they lack bass in a major way. The B&W P5's are very accurate, almost to a fault. The ear cup is not as comfortable as these V-Moda's. The bass doesn't dig nearly as deep in the P5, but they have a better high end. In a way, the B&W's are like BMW's versus V-Moda's that are like Mercedes. BMW is all about precise handling and making the driver happy; Mercedes is about the comfort of everyone in the car with maybe a little less precision in the handling department. Guess what, they are both outstanding cars and incredible to drive, they just have slightly different personalities.

I did an odd little test for DJ's looking at these headphones. My son plays guitar, so I pulled out the sound meter and did a little audio test - how well would I be able to hear the music in the headphones over his playing. At 90db (that's pretty darn loud) I could hear the music in the headphones very well. It was clear there was music going on around me, and I couldn't hear all the nuances of the music, but the music in the headphones was clear. At 100db (that's very loud) I had to turn up my music a bit more, and could still make out the songs, and hear the lyrics. We stopped at 100db. Airplane noise will not be a problem.

These are efficient headphones. They can play very loud. A setting of loud volume with iPod buds, or the P5's or the Shures is almost ear shattering with the V-Moda's. A trick some listeners use is to crank up the volume and wear them around your neck, the sound is outstanding like that. Almost every headphone starts to interfere with itself at high volumes, not the V-Moda's. Bass remains clear and clean. Low volume is amazing with these. Headphones tend to work well loud and not quite or vice versa, these break the mould.

I had to break these headphones in. Out of the box they were horribly dull. Actually they sounded pretty bad that first day. So overnight I ran iTunes through these at full volume. The next morning they had loosened up and were just wonderful. I might guess that those rolled off highs might just clear up over time.

You might also imagine that these headphones are specialized for electronic house music. Well that would also be a mistake. I've pushed them around with folk, jazz, blues, and rock with great results. I haven't really tried much classical music. Somehow I don't think the classical music lover will be drawn to these headphones - they will be looking more in the Grado and high end Sennheiser territory . Movies, these headphones are good. In ear monitors might just work a bit better for video, watching a small screen the sound is probably better focused on a smaller soundstage. On the other hand, these headphones are so comfortable; I will probably end up enjoying watching films with them.

The construction is really solid. These are big headphones, and they take up a lot of space (the P5's fold up very nicely). I tried them on in bed, and surprise, I could roll over on a pillow with an ear facing down hard on the pillow with no bad sound effect at all. You could sleep with these on, go figure how that works. The metal side pieces are really rugged.

I have a big head and wear glasses. These fit very nicely. They do not press against your glasses and cause temple pain. I've worn them for around three hours straight, and they are still comfortable. Initially they do get a little warm around my ears, but that goes away after a while.

Now the coolest part of these headphones, the accessories and the packaging. The box clues you in immediately that these are special, a red ribbon serves as the tamper evident device. The box has a really cool faux leather handle and snap closure. Inside you are greeted by a black case, lined in red velvet that will protect these headphones forever. The case is a bit funky, it either looks like a reptile or a mouth and tongue (I think it looks a lot like the Rolling Stones logo). Insed that case, there are two different wires for connecting the headphones. These are the best wires, bar none, I have ever seen for headphones. They are cloth woven covers with Kevlar fibers inside - I defy anyone to actually rip those wires, it is never going to happen. The business end of the connection is brilliant; the outlet of the wire is at a forty five degree angle. That angle means you'll almost never accidently pull the jack out of your player. It really works well. One wire is fairly long and is just a plain wire. The other is a combo volume control microphone. I've tried a lot of these combos and most don't work very well. This set up is extremely good; the microphone is sensitive and picks up my voice just dangling from the ear cup (no need to pull it in front of your mouth to speak). There is an instruction manual, a lifestyle card, a little microfiber cloth to shine the metal sides of the headphones, and a small credit card to join the V-Moda VIP club (the web address on the card didn't work, but there was a VIP area on the website). OK, a mention about the website, you'd never guess they sell audio gear over there. It is all about the super models and the handsome guys and the clothing. There are beautiful people over there.

I love these headphones. It's hard to not gush about them too much. My only disappointment, no super model has tried to talk to me while I'm wearing these. My family has laughed at me many times. I just can't stop wearing them. My music has taken on a whole new world.

The two teenage boys in the house weighed in on these. The guitarist, fourteen years old, loves them. He wants them in the worst way. I would also predict that these will be great recording headphones; we will have fun with them. The nineteen year old college student loves them. He still thinks the highs are not clear enough. But he's also like to take them back to school with him. Sorry boys, Dad got them first, they are his.

July 25, 2010 update - I just couldn't stop myself, I wanted to see what is behind those cool metal plates. Aw was I disappointed, the body of these headphones is cast plastic. There is absolutely nothing but plastic behind the metal plate. I could not get in to see those lovely drivers. I've also posted a bunch of pictures of the coolness that arrives in the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars A concert. In my Room. Two Years Later., December 18, 2011
I have heard several different kinds of headphones including Dre's infamous beats and I can say, without a doubt, these are better. Right out of the package, these sound about as nice as Beats, but after about 24 hours of breaking in (mine took less) they sound 10x better, like smooth silky goodness. Ever wonder what it would be like to have a concert with you as the only audience member? try a pair of these. Perfectly balanced surround sound in your head. I am not a DJ, but an avid listener. So take this into account in my review.I listen to a WIDE variety of music: musicals, pop, classical, rock, j-rock, rap, folk, and everything is beautiful with these. Even I didn't expect the sound to be so exceptional. You can actually tell where the instruments you hear are relative to you, as if you are front row. I apply a variety of music in testing the sound: my Radio Sunnydale Soundtrack, The Heavy, Fleet Foxes (Helplessness Blues), Rage Against the Machine, Bach, Gypsy Swing, Frank Ocean, EVERYTHING sounds beautiful! even at high volumes, these headphones perform exceptionally. no static no hiss no buzz!
These cans come with a really nice exoskeleton case, 2 male-male cords (one has a remote on the cord for iphone and other mac products), an extra amp adapter, a hook so you can hook your exoskeleton to whatever, as well as a nice cloth to keep the steel shiny. MAKE SURE you put the straight plug into the headphones themselves, not the angled plug. when I used the angled plug I had some crazy awful sounds and I was like "WTF I paid money for this?!" but it was just that the angled plug doesn't fit into it right. I'll mention that I have a small head (being a 5'1" girl) and these fit very exceptionally. I can imagine they may be difficult or maybe a little tight for someone with a wider head?
The sound isolation is really great. If you wear them and dont play anything you easily remove any noise more than 3 feet away from you. Anything closer is muffled heavily. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME AND LIKE HAVING YOUR PHONES AROUND YOUR NECK ON THE GO, THESE MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU. That is what the case is for (storing on the go). They are a bit tight around the neck, unless I have a really thick neck (which I don't think I do?). And I have expanded these to the max size and tried to put them around my neck, still some choking going on but not too terrible if you make sure the memory foam cups are against your neck. So be prepared to store these when you're not listening to them in the nice exoskeleton case. If it wasn't such a nice case I'd gripe, but it really is nice and holds all your cords and even your ipod if you want it to.
There is a REALLY sweet warranty on these. If they break in a year they fix or replace anything for free. And if they break outside of warranty you can turn them in and get 50% off the newest model! So you can rest easy knowing its a pretty good investment. One more reason that these are really great, you can customize your own shield plates at v-moda's site. The steel plates are removable and you can have v-moda engrave new ones for you if you want some flair. ALTHOUGH THE STEEL SHIELD IN THE PICTURE LOOKS WHITE (I got the white pair), IT IS NOT. IT IS VERY REFLECTIVE STEEL. So, be aware of that. You CANNOT have white or light shields engraved because they engrave it white, so only dark colors. Also, this model and the new model have the same shields. so you don't have to worry about not being able to use your shields on the new model.

Update 7/2/12: I've had these headphones a bit over 6 months at this point and they are still going strong. One corner of the plastic hinge part has cracked, but ill admit to having dropped these a couple times. The crack has not affected the sound or the fit in any way, and it is also unnoticable because it only occurs on the inside of the band. The sound is even better than it use to be. Deep and very much surround sounding. These really are built like tanks.

Updated 4/12/13: These are still going strong, and the sound quality is still perfect. Also I ran over them with my car accidentally (don't ask) and while everything in my backpack I ran over exploded, the headphones weren't so much as dented 0_o and they still sound PERFECT.
I love these headphones. HOWEVER I will note that the only cords that fit into these are the V-Moda Kevlar cords (which is kind of annoying given how they're 13 dollars each without shipping). The cords you buy on here for 7 dollars will almost ALWAYS be too fat and won't fit into the angled plug of your LPs.

5.0 out of 5 stars FULL Review of the Crossfade LP, August 19, 2012
The V-Moda Crossfade LP over-the-ear headphones are the result of an over 4-year effort to provide music enthusiasts with quality sound, unbeatable durability and a style all their own.

After spending some time with my new set of "cans," I am now able tell you whether or not they were successful in that endeavor.

In the past I have used a variety of headphones and ear-buds that were produced by different manufacturers; including Sony, Skullcandy, Bose and JVC. My current pair of ear-buds are great for working out, travel or as the "utility" pair that I always have handy in my bag for convenience. I also use a pair of basic Bluetooth headphones for when I want to go wireless while walking the dogs or doing things around the house. Beyond that, there is also my pair of Sony monitor headphones that I used to use while doing sound editing for my podcast.

As a MASSIVE (pls see: seriously...massive) music fan that listens to a very diverse range of musical genres, I wanted to get a pair of high-end over-the-ear headphones that I could use everyday, that would also be great at noise isolation while traveling and that would deliver high-fidelity performance that would allow me to hear every note of my beloved music.

I had been looking at the Bose QuietComfort® 15 headphones due to the fact that I own a number of Bose systems (i.e. Bose Companion 5 & Bose Soundlink speaker) and have never been disappointed. However, I didn't necessarily want to spend $300...not to mention the fact that the QuietComfort is a little lacking in the style department, albeit a great pair of headphones.

I purchased my pair of the Crossfade LP headphones through Amazon...which I recommend, as you will get them for a better price than buying directly though the V-Moda website.

--Looks Matter--

These headphones are stylish as hell. Period.

They come in an assortment of colors and customizable metal shields, but I chose to go with the Gunmetal version (pictured). The white ones look too much like Beats by Dre (which I think are overpriced for the quality of sound that you get) and the Chrome was a little too flashy. The Gunmetal was juuuuuust right and better suits my personal style the most.

Also, on more than one occasion I have been stopped and asked about them.

Beyond that, there is a nice combination of metal and matte finish...coupled with leather, steel and memory foam (cups & headband).

--What's in the Box?--

Other than arriving in very cool packaging - including a metal lid snap and a faux crocodile handle (a nice touch) - you will also receive:

* A stylish / hard exoskeleton storage & carrying case to hold, protect and transport your headphones

* Two tangle-resistant Kevlar-braided cables. One is a standard headphone cord (thicker & slightly longer), while the other cable doubles as a headphone & headset cord for Apple devices, including a microphone and remote control.

I tested the smartphone cable on my Galaxy Nexus and the remote on the cord did not answer calls (seems to only work on Apple devices). However the mic and headset works fine if you answer calls directly from your phone. Callers said that I sounded perfectly clear and that they could understand me just fine.

* A microfiber cloth to wipe away any pesky and unsightly fingerprints that may find their way onto the shiny metal shields

* Gold-plated plug tips to help ensure a good connection between your audio source and the headphones

* A 1/4 jack adapter, for those who may need or want to plug their headphones into a larger stereo receiver or DJ mixer

* A free carabiner. Due to the bulky nature of the carrying case, this can be used to affix your headphones to the outside of a messenger / carry-on / book bag etc.

--Durability & Build--

According to V-Moda's website, the Crossfade LP's offer "military-grade durability." I have found this statement to be true in the sense that there is nothing about the build quality that screams "cheap" or "fragile." Many headphones will feel light and flimsy (i.e. all plastic), or that a bend in the wrong direction will simply snap them in half. Thanks to the metal that has been incorporated into the design, the Crossfade's have a very nice weight to them, while still feeling light enough in terms of wearability and comfort.

Connecting the headband to the ear cups are bands of rigid steel. The headband itself is an ergonomic steelflex material that can be twisted and laid flat a number of times (although, I don't recommend it!) before you could reasonably expect any damage to occur.

V-Moda also offers a 2-year warranty, in addition to an "Immortal Life Program" in which they will replace any broken headphones (of the same model) for 50% off the price, or a heavy discount on a newer model. To me this clearly states, "We stand behind our products," which I greatly appreciate.

Also, thanks to the fact that the cords are detachable, you will no longer have to worry about buying an entirely new pair of headphones simply because a cord wears out, gets frayed or damaged. I especially like this, as I am not a fan of the "Y" shaped headphone cords that connect to both earpieces. As an added bonus, the cables can double as a AUX cord...for instance, if you want to connect your phone or iPod directly to your car stereo.

Another feature design that I really like, is the fact that each cable has a plug - the one that would connect to your source device - that is at a 45-degree angle. Anyone who has ever had their cord ripped out simply by catching it on something, will really appreciate this `feature,' which is intended to prevent accidentally yank outs.

Additionally, you can order any part that you may need through V-Moda...including new cords or even the 50mm drivers, should you need / want to replace them for whatever reason.

--Comfort--

The earpads on the headphones are surrounded by a very soft leather-wrapped memory foam, as is the interior of the headband. At first I was a little concerned, as they initially felt tight and slightly uncomfortable after about an hour of wear. However, this began to disappear considerably after wearing them for a few days - thanks to the headband being very flexible - and the headphones began to stretch and mold to fit my head better, in addition to the memory foam. Now, they are extremely comfortable and I barely notice that I am wearing them; therefore be sure to allow a few days for them to `adjust' to the shape of your head and I'm confident that you will experience the same improvement in comfort as I did.

I also found that the noise isolation was very good, due to the fact that the earpads actually rest against your head and not against your ears. This full coverage contributes greatly to the sound isolating properties of the headphones, not to mention the sound quality of the music that you listen to, as your ears are fully encased and surrounded by the soft memory foam pads.

Notice that I say noise "isolating" and not "cancelling." The Crossfade LP's are not a powered device (like the Bose QuietComfort 15), therefore they do not require a battery or emit a noise canceling wave to block out all ambient sounds. I have found that the noise isolation is quite good and does an admirable job of blocking out most surrounding sounds to a dull murmur at best. I have not had a chance to use them on a plane yet (the real test, in my book), but from my experience so far, I am not expecting it to be an issue. So, if you travel by bus, plane or subway, I feel confident in saying that ambient noise should not be an issue at all with these headphones.

As I mentioned previously, the use of metal and steel adds a nice weight to these `cans' (they feel like high-end headphones), but I do not think that they affect comfort at all. Again, after wearing them for a few days, they are now very comfortable and I have gone for hours on end without taking them off...ear-sweat notwithstanding. ;)

--"Yeah, But How Do They SOUND?"--

According to V-Moda, they spent four years working with world-renowned DJ's to develop and engineer the CrossFade LP's. Was the time and money well spent?

When I first received the headphones and plugged them in, I was very impressed by the sound on some tracks...and not so much by others. It appears that the headphones (and their impressive 50mm Dual-Diaphragm Drivers) were originally developed for fans of hip-hop, R & B, dance music and techno, due to what appeared to be a very bass heavy sound. Mind you, I like a nice solid bass response in my music, but the mids also sounded a little muddy and the highs had a slight echo...therefore I was not initially blown away.

However, there is a process called "burning in" for a new pair of higher-end headphones. The theory behind breaking in a speaker is that they come from the factory a little stiff. The surrounds need to be stretched and exercised. The best way to do this is to burn them in by playing roughly 24 hours worth of music through them at a normal volume. Some speakers require this, while others do not.

Since I had heard that others had experienced the same problem, I set to burning in my pair. One Day 1, I listened to roughly 5 hours of music in my office. Later that evening, I plugged them into my laptop, launched Spotify and left it continuously playing through the night into the morning. The difference in sound was nothing short of amazing!

After properly burning them in, I could very easily tell the difference between how they sounded out of the box and how they sounded once I had a chance to break them in. The bass was nice and smooth, the mids were very warm and the treble was clean. Also, regardless of musical genre, the headphones sounded wonderful across the board using a flat response (i.e. no EQ).

Therefore, if you decide to pick up a pair, I highly recommend (Nay, require) that you properly burn them in before making an judgement on their sound. Once I did, I heard parts of my favorite songs that I didn't even know existed! The sound difference coming through the headphones was just incredible, trust me on this.

Primarily I am an `alt rock' guy: Phoenix, Silversun Pickups, Vampire Weekend, The Black Keys, Cold War Kids, Young the Giant etc. But I also listen to a lot of jazz, some hop-hop, classical, hard rock and more. However - thanks to burning in the headphones - it didn't matter if it was Thelonius Monk, The Lumineers, Tool, Bach, Beethoven, Jay-Z or Tribe Called Quest...all of them sounded stellar through these cans.

Bottom Line: The Crossfade LP's were absolutely worth the money that I spent and I would recommend them to anyone who is interested in picking up a pair of quality over-the-ear headphones at a decent price. They are great for music, gaming, movies and/or drowning out annoying relatives & co-workers. ;)

At launch a couple of years ago they sold for $249. Later they dropped to $199. Currently they can be found online for about $120, due to the fact that a newer version has been released recently. I picked mine up from Amazon for $79, thanks to it being their `Deal of the Day' - an absolute no-brainer at that price - and a 1/4 of what I would have spent for the Bose QuietComfort 15.

--A Quick Note About Power--

When it comes to headphones like this, a lot of people do not realize that they were not necessarily intended to be used with under-powered devices such as cell phones and iPods...there is just not enough juice in these devices to push high-end headphones to their full potential. Therefore, please note that the source device you use - whether a laptop, desktop, receiver or smartphone - is going to be the most important factor in how your headphones perform.

For instance, my $3000 laptop (apparently) has a crappy sound card, because my other $500 laptop plays music so loudly and well through these headphones that I practically blow my face off. My Galaxy Nexus plays music just fine, but the use of an equalizer makes a BIG difference in the sound...same goes for the difference between the quality of streaming music (i.e. Spotify, Pandora) versus that of higher quality music files that might be saved directly on my phone.

An easy remedy to ensure that you are getting the best out of your headphones, is the use of a portable headphone amplifier. There are ones that you can pick up for over $100, but I recommend the much cheaper Fiio E6 or E11

Now, for simply listening at work, going for a walk or hitting the gym, you don't really need to use a portable amp. But if you are going to be in a noisy environment, on a plane or perhaps you just want to provide cleaner and more powerful audio to your headphones so that you can take better advantage of what they are capable of, then I recommend picking one up. The E6 (pictured) and the E11 are rechargeable and you will definitely notice a difference in sound.

My CrossFade LP's are plenty loud for most everyday situations and portable devices; but I when I am traveling I prefer to completely block out airplane noise...and other passengers for that matter. Since an amp is an extra device that you are attaching to your smartphone / iPod, it's a little easier to manage when you are going to be sitting for a bit. However, they do come with a clip and there are a variety of accessories that you can use to attach it to your device to make using one while on-the-go a lot less cumbersome.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
834 of 1,032 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Caution - Has a serious design flaw, October 5, 2010

The speaker drivers themselves are great. Good balance of bass and treble across a wide range of music. The Crossfades seem well constructed and light. I use them only at work for about 4hrs a day and was happy for about a month. They stay on my desk when not in use and have never left the office

Unfortunately after a month I noticed the the inner plastic band where the metal adjustment bar that connects the phones to the padding the goes over your head had completely cracked on both sides of the headphones. If you look at the pictures Amazon provides, look at the 6th picture(for the gunmetal version - [...]). The cracks appeared right above the crossfade logo where the 2 screws secure the plastic housing on both sides of headphones(tops of the V). The plastic wasn't just cracked on one screw on each side, it was crack on all 4 screws. This leads me to believe that they had some over-tightening problem when putting in the screws during manufacturing. A day after I discovered the crack, one of the plastic cracked fragments actually fell off the headphones, making it impossible for the headphones to keep tension on the metal adjustment bar.

I was sad to see this issue, given I had just dropped $250 on these headphones a month earlier. So I went and had a look at my co-workers set. SAME exact problem, cracks along the plastic on both sides of the headphones in the same 4 places where the screw look to have been over-tightened. The plastic had not fallen off on his yet, but he was equally pissed off at the quality of manufacturing.

Seriously, the rest of the headphone is well constructed of metal and solid plastic.... but the one location that would get the most stress has the cheapest made component??!?!? I don't have a particularly wide head, and I've DJ'd for years and know how to take care of expensive headphones. What a shame that an otherwise great sounding set of headphones could be wrecked by a defective 50cent plastic part.

Thankfully the Apple store allowed me to return the headphones beyond the 14day regular policy. We went over to the iPod demo section in the store where they had 4 crossfades out for display to use with the iPod/iphones, and guess what!!! 3 of the 4 had the same exact issue.

I think these headphones are so new that this problem will start to become more prevalent in the next few months for folks who bought them early on. I don't think this is a hard issue to fix with a redesign of that particular part (using metal). However it's probably going to require folks to send them back to the manufacturer.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:20:54 AM PST
Val Kolton says:
(MANUFACTURER)
V-MODA CEO - VAL KOLTON

THIS IS PETE WEB PR AGENCY FYI http://www.webbpr.com/expertise.html, look at their clients and services:

"Sometimes you want your story splashed across the front page or leading the nightly news; other times you hope your story doesn't even show up in the briefs of the daily newspaper. You may want to encourage bloggers to talk about your product, or you may want to find the most cost-effective way to reach an extremely targeted business audience. It might be important to host a community meeting to tell neighbors about your project vision, or you may need a community education campaign to actually change public behaviors.

Whatever it is, Webb PR will recognize your needs, because we listen. And in a crisis, we're calm, collected and realistic. With 20 years under our belt, we've most likely been in a similar place before with another client. Nothing scares us. You tell us what your challenges are. We help you establish your communications goals, quickly get you organized, and produce what you need to sprint past expectations and report the measurable results."

THIS IS V-MODA AND OUR STORY

MILITARY-LEVEL DURABILITY
Crossfade LP has been out for 3+ years and is now among the top-ranked headphones out of 20,000+ headphones on Amazon primarily because of our FANATICAL COMMITMENT TO QUALITY. We take this extremely seriously as professionals, consumers and DJS depend on our products to work for years. We consider LP/LP2 the "workhorse" of the headphone industry that sets the standards in quality.

As you can see from the reviews, only a FEW people have had this problem out of the 100k+ units sold - it was very isolated in the first production run of 2,000 units. We fully back Crossfade LP with a 1-year warranty and a IMMORTAL LIFETIME 50% OFF PROGRAM. Rest assured, our six-star support team is there to back you up in the event you need anything.

V-WING EXPLANATION
Even though this only happened to a handful of people, I will share the "C.A.R.", or Corrective Action Report we did to improve reliability that now passes Military, MIL-STD-810g, test standards. On the first few units, some screws were "torqued" too tight. We implemented controls to make sure this does not happen and also changed the material to be even stronger. The reason a few at Apple store had the crack was because they are so tough that they were on display for MANY MONTHS vs most competitor plastic headbands that crack quickly and are replaced every day/week. In fact, we wanted to change the colors of the display models when they eventually broke, but most never did! Again, they were the first units before the improvements in torque/materials.

You can buy in confidence that the Crossfade LP will withstand much more abuse than the average headphones. Many DJs, including AVICII, EDX, Funkagenda, Norman Doray, Morgan Page and Kim Fai have used a single pair for years, 5+ nights a week (some up to 1000 gigs). My brother and co-founder of V-MODA is an active pilot in the military, so we truthfully get to beta-test in real-life military scenarios.

MIL-STD-810 STANDARDS:
Survives 70+ drops from 6' on concrete vs 5 of plastic headphones
Survives bending+twisting the headband vs 0 of plastic headphone headbands
Survives 1 million bends of the cable+plug vs industry average of 10,000 (100x)

View this video testing the Crossfade tank-like durability:

As a family owned company, "we put our money where are materials are". Your word of mouth and reviews allow us to make superior products with the highest quality metals, materials, ergonomics and innovations.

Internally, our motto is "V-MODA products can only fall somewhere between excellent and perfect".

Thanks for your support!

-V^V
Val Kolton
V-MODA CEO + OWNER

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-Comfortable and Sounds Great!, August 12, 2010
M. Shay (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I use these at work all day. They do a great job of blocking out all the noise around me (perfect in an open office space) and the sound is fantastic. They are also very comfortable. I hardly know I have them on. (And they look really slick, too.) They are pretty hefty though, and the case is nice and sturdy but big, so plan accordingly if you're planning to travel with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, Great looks, Great Construction, Sound Quality is extremely colored., March 17, 2013
These headphones look great and are constructed fairly well. The Braided exchangeable cords are a wonderful idea that I hope to see many more headphone models adopt. The hard shell travel case is very nice and protects the item, love it. You can even change out the metal shields on the sides with customized version that you can order from V-Moda, Sweet.

So why did these cans get a 3-star rating from me?

These have got to be some of the most colored phones I've ever heard. The Base has been tweaked up to the point it just muddies everything up in a very unpleasant sort of way. The mid ranges have also been shot up very high just so they can compete to be heard over the bass. This causes the mids to be muddy as well. The treble is stuck visibly in the background like a whisper in an angry crowd of dinosaurs.

I attempted to combat this with an extraneous break-in period as it was clear these need it very, very, very badly. This helped enormously. So keep in mind that if you do grab a pair of these that you MUST Break them in with a minimum of 24+ hours of fairly loud music. The break-in improved the sound quality of the phones at least 100% or more, but it wasn't enough for me. I believe what brings me the most sadness about all of this is that Listening to these headphones you can tell they have fairly high quality sound in them, however it is taken back by the enormous EQ tweaks that V-Moda has performed to please Bass-Heads. I would much rather have headphones that sound great with a flat EQ and be able to bring up the lows for some bass punch, rather than have extreme bass headphones and need to throttle them back with an EQ to get a good sound. (if you balance an EQ correctly it does help a lot for these)

Comparing these to all the genres of music I had available I have come to the conclusion that these headphones were designed with the idea of only pleasing fans of R&B and Techno. Also, these headphones are clearly only designed for music listening as i did also try using them in my pc and tried them out on some games. That was a mistake. The slightest noises sound similar to a large explosion, and I'm talking about the slightest things such as; the sounds of wind blowing, or simple footsteps. All of it just comes out with enormous low end.

In conclusion: you will be happy with these if you only listen to specific genres of music and you really, really, really like bass above anything else. (and everyone else around you likes bass too, because it will be heard by them as well.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish. Sounds Great. Comfy. Utilitarian., December 31, 2011
Bought mine off of Platinum Buys here on Amazon for about $121. Have owned this for a mere 2 days.

Box came with everything expected except the side-plates were matte black instead of gunmetal like I ordered and a bonus pair of red shields, new screws, and a tool to fit em in. It's colour scheme doesn't seem to exactly fit any model that V-moda advertises either, so I'm concerned I may have a knockoff (but if it is, it's a good knockoff) . I've since replaced the black plates with the red ones. Much more stunning.

STYLE: Sleek, Non-intrusive, but still a piece of eye-candy. The plates are what give it its distinct appeal. When choosing, be sure to pick the variation that comes with your preferred colour of headband and miscellaneous decal since customized side-plates can be ordered separately. Ear pieces aren't bulky-looking when worn. Headband flares out quite minimally, and stays pretty close to head.

FIT: I've got a fairly big head but it fits pretty comfortably. Ear cups do not completely surround my ears, that is to say that it's still partially laying atop my ears. Hugs head pretty firmly, but not painfully so. At the moment, I can sport these fellas for 5 hours until my ears need a break from the pressure. That being said, you may or may not have to break the headband in a bit. If you've got ears that are big or tend to jut out, you may need to find a roomier pair of cans. As for weight, they're definitely on the lighter side of the spectrum.

CONSRUCTION: Seems pretty tough. Have tested bending the headband in various and seemingly dangerous ways. Has maintained its shape and tension. Dropped it once only 2-3 feet. Not a big fall, but hey lots of headphones splode at the slightest impact. Not much else to say here until time has taken passage. I'll be sure to come back if anything concerning its hardiness has changed for better or worse.

SOUND: You skipped to this part didn't ya? Anywho, to start off, I have pretty sensitive ears and tend to keep my music playing fairly low that most people would be struggling to listen. Keeping that in mind, straight out of the box, the sound wasn't as balanced as I'd hoped it be. Was a bit bass heavy and it overpowered vocals. However, considering the many reviews and accounts I hear about Crossfades and many a pair of good headphones needing a time to burn-in and loosen up, I dosed it with full blast frequency sweeps and white noise overnight. This morning, the sound quality improved, and even now in the evening it has improved in comparison to this morning. Mids are fantastically clear and are warm and organic sounding, highs are perfectly crisp. Considering this, listening to music at higher volumes makes the bass a bit painful for my sensitive ears. However, at low volume the bass is perfect and doesn't disappear from the track like it would in many other headphones. Now, I've never owned any other high end over-ear headphones, but I do own a pair of Monster Turbines which are fantastic soundwise. Comparing the sound quality, there's really little to no difference of how good the mids and highs are. Both are fantastic in that regard. Both are also a tad bass heavy. However, the turbine's bass feels tighter. By that I mean, each bass note is clearly defined and it doesn't sound muddied at all. The crossfades are just a tad muddy (and I mean just a tad) and a little harder to distinguish but they hold a bit more punch as they ARE 50mm diaphragms. So if you want to FEEL the rumble of thunder or that explosion, crossfades are the one that'll make ya jump outta your seat and proceed to duck 'n cover. There's no innate buzzing unless it's your machine, there's no clipping or distortion as far as I can tell, and the noise isolation is purely passive and I can still hear the environment pretty well with these headphones on (this may be due to my sensitive hearing). The music that I feel best fits these are electric/techno and all of its subgenres, but I've enjoyed all sorts of music including heavy metal, orchestral, acoustic/folk, classical, chiptunes, ethnic/world, and more.

To summarize, these headphones are: For the audiophiles. For the fashion conscious. Built tough. Pretty Comfy. Fairly priced. A very good buy!

Hope this helped!

EDIT: Jan. 6, 2012 - after playing around with equalizers and again running these through a lot of different types of music. I've concluded that these cans limelight Lows and highs while the mid frequencies aren't featured as strongly as the latter two. Thus music such as classic rock and orchestral performances aren't as full and warm. Vocals are also a bit pushed back behind basslines and/or percussion. However, they're totally capable of very nice sounding mids. Just up the mid frequencies on your equalizer and vocals will be brought to the forefront and nearly all types of music have a warmer/fuller effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look No More... This is it, October 14, 2011
I got these as a gift from my wife, she was gonna get me some Beats by Dre solos, but in doing some research I told her that i wanted these V-Modas (Nero). Before coming to this decision I had decided on many other headphones and then later changed my mind, like Sony MDR-V700DJ DJ-Style Monitor Series Headphones or Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ Headphonesor Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones or Monster Cable Beats Solo High-Definition On-Ear Headphones with Control Talk (Black)...

But reading through these product reviews there were too many people complaining of Broken headphones and having a cheaply made set that won't even last a year, or some were simply not stylish enough (V6). I was aware of the people complaining of cracks in the plastic but that didn't deter me from simply falling in love with the looks and specs of these headphones as I told myself that they're probably just unlucky.

I primarily use these at work for 8+ hours on a daily basis since I have received them 1 1/2 weeks ago. After these days of usage I've felt obligated and compelled to encourage you not to be scared to invest in these. They are definitively worth it.

They are definitely beautiful and well constructed headphones. Being the person that I am, I like being different and I am glad that I did not jump on the Beats Bandwagon, but these headphones just get attention because they look expensive even without Brands/Logos plastered all over it. No one in my office knows of V-MODAs but they definitely wish they could have my headphones and know it is of quality.

The sound is awesome on these, everything is well balanced and if I could describe it in one word it would be 'Smooth'. I am no audiophile, DJ, Producer or anything else, just love my music and love it sounding good and these deliver. Like observed by many others, the headsets sound the best after a break in. When i took these headphones out the box and put them on, i cranked my volume to the max and was comfortable with it. If i try that now, if would not be safe for my ears. But music is satisfying at volume 10/20 - 15/20 and there is no need to go higher as sound is simply superb. Don't get me wrong, they can easily handle the max, and you feel them shaking your ears and head. After some break in, these headphones rock. I listen to Rap/Hiphop, Dubstep/Electronic, Rock, Pop. All these Genre sounds great on these headphones and they are not coloured at all... I don't know why people complain of too much bass as i have found myself wanting more, therefore I use graphic equalizer for a little more. I attribute the smooth sound of these headphones a lot to the vents on the cans, if i take my thumbs and cover them up while listening, music sounds suppressed and dead take them off and it's near magical.

They are also very comfortable and fit my head very good (7 5/8 cap size). And I see no cracks on them as yet like what others are claiming.

The only con would be that the vents leak sound a little but not a lot. If you wan't to use them in a Library at max vol, it definitely would be a problem but other than that it's not that obnoxious.

All in all, these headphones are definitely worth it. If you are on the fence between these and other headphones, I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 28, 2011
Im writing this review a mere 30 minutes after using the headphones so they haven't been properly burned in yet but here are my thoughts. This pair of cans cost me about 110~120$ and they sound fantastic!! There are very few headphones that can do what V-Moda has done for that price, the soundstage while not perfect offers a wide range of mids and deep rewarding basses(if not a tad overpowered), it seems to be lacking a bit in the higher trebles but like I said they haven't been fully burned in yet. Unfortunately I'm a bit spoiled by a better soundstage I compared these to a pair of Senn hd 598's while different in design the 598's offered a much fuller soundstage with a better sounding high's, and mids, and an equally impressive base. The V-Moda cans had a weird kind of metallic sounding treble while the senn hd 598 were more natural, V-moda really brought the treble to the foreground and put the bass and mids exclusively in the background so while you get a shining treble and can isolate the sound it's almost too much. It's like in your face.

Now on to build quality the build on these things is fantastic they look sleek and sexy and have the right amount of metal and plastic to make you feel special. The hexagonal shape is awesome however the ear cups seem to be on the small side especially for people for medium- big ears. I got my ears in and they're quite comfy once you get them situated correctly but you could be fiddling with that a good 5 minutes before you find the right way into the headphones.

Overall for the price you pay and the amount of time yet spent with these headphones I will have to see how it turns out but things are looking good. This was definitely a worthwhile buy at the price I got them for. PS. have yet to try out the mic function though im not expecting much from an in-cable mic.

Update1: after 24 hours of burning: I'm surprised the sound has gotten significantly better than outta the box the strange metallic sounds i was hearing yesterday is now gone and the treble has settled down a bit. Although I'm starting to notice a serious flaw in the wire design. While its great that they used kevlar they really shoulda coated it with a sealant or a resin for both the wires on the earcups and the wire leading down into my computer/ ipod/ amplifier. They're starting to fray a little and I'm not really happy with wire build quality... easily replaceable but not excited about it. I haven't been super mean to my V-moda's either, they've been treated fairly well.. Will update again with 72 hours of usage.

5.0 out of 5 stars These TANKS are REALLY BUILT TO LAST, December 12, 2011
For a sixteen year old, these headphones can be a true godsend. The sound is just perfect and the surrounding aura leaves you truly captivated. The quality is absolutely amazing!

Now let's get to the main reason I am writing this review: DURABILITY.

I must say, that over the past 1-2 years that I have been using this pair of headphones, I have dropped them, stepped on them, bent them, and flat-out yanked them from my computer. The headband bends to enormous angles and drifts back into shape (perfectly). There is no way that you can do those to a pair of BOSE headphones. A friend of mine dropped his pair and they stopped working (one of the ears had no volume). My pair has been through 100x the abuse that his has and still work great.

If you are looking for a great pair of durable (and I mean DURABLE) headphones, these are your best bet. Great price and astounding quality! Thumbs up from me!

UPDATE August 2014: It's been 3 years since this review and around 5 years since I have started using these headphones, and they still work absolutely perfectly. I have upgraded them with the XL ear cups (for maximum comfort :)) and attached the VoIP microphone to it for gaming sessions. Can't say I've ever used a greater pair of headphones than these ones.

V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-the-Ear Headphones (Gunmetal Black)
$199.99 $153.74