V-MODA Faders VIP Tuned Metal Earplugs (Gunmetal Black)
Color Name: Gunmetal BlackChange
Price:$19.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 2, 2012
Color Name: Gunmetal Black
So I received a demo pair of these a few weeks back and thought it would be a good idea to share my experience with them. They are a fantastic product if they fit into your lifestyle for the reasons I'll describe below.

First things first...I don't attend raves or concerts all that often and it really seems like that is where these things fit in the best. They filter out noise rather than blocking it completely so you know you're hearing everything, just not at hearing damaging levels. So since I really don't do the concert thing I was looking for ways to utilize these things. The answer...mowing the lawn. I do that about once a week and sometimes it's hard to tell what's going on with your mower when you wear regular earbuds with music playing...but with the Faders, I can hear it perfectly without all of the excess noise that eventually can lead to hearing loss. So in my life, that's where these things fit in. I now wear them every week to mow the yard and my ears are thanking me for it

They are VERY well made and they look great, and service from V-MODA is outstanding...so if you're looking a high end ear plug to filter out some excess noise (or your spouse), start with these Faders and there's no way you'll be disappointed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2014
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
So glad that I made this purchase. As a Club DJ in Denver, CO, I was searching for a professional earplug that would be comfortable, stylish, fit well with headphones on, and allow mids and highs to pass cleanly through, allowing for well equalized, clean, quieter sound, free of the messy muffled sound you get from standard earplugs. After doing some research and comparisons, I decided that the Faders seemed to be the perfect fit. I was right.

When I put my Audio Technica ATH-M50's on (Which I would HIGHLY recommend. PIC:[...]), and turned them up very loud, with the faders comfortably sitting in my ears, I was amazed at how perfectly clean and well balanced the sound was. I literally couldn't tell I was wearing ear plugs. They were so comfortable with NO muffled mids or highs. That's how clean the sound is.

I will be wearing these gems every time I DJ now, whether it's a house party, club, or rave. No doubt. DJ's in particular are extremely vulnerable to hearing damage. Performing in a large club setting means a very powerful sound system, which means very high monitoring volumes (monitor speakers blaring in your face requires even louder headphone monitoring). Let's just say, club DJ's are around some excessively loud music all the time.

Hearing damage isn't something anyone should be ok with. I know I'm not. I would recommend these to any DJ, party or concert-goer, and any musician who wants to protect there most valuable asset, their hearing. Also would be great for long road trips, plane trips... Really, everyone should have a pair of Faders!

Comfort with out DJ headphones: 10/10
Comfort with DJ headphones: 9/10
Style: 8/10 (10/10 would be with no earplugs, duh)
Build quality: 10/10
Bass clarity: 10/10
Mid clarity: 10/10
Treble clarity: 10/10
High quality connector string: 10/10 (easily screws into the earbuds, which is nice)
Case: 10/10 (hard plastic, very small, they couldn't have made a better case for it in my opinion)

Thanks for reading, hope this helps some people. Remember kids: Wearing earplugs is a lot cooler than being partially deaf by the time you're 30.
on April 18, 2013
Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
For the records I'm a lifelong musician who's attended over a hundred major arena concerts. I'm also a closet audiophile and headphone connoisseur. In short, I know audio and have good ears. I own a few different sets of ear plugs including the etymotics er20s, hearos, and alpines. These are the best (and cheapest) hands down. Alot is said of the Etys, and while they function well they simply dont cut out all the high frequencies. To be clear: certain notes WILL cut through those plugs. Not the case with these. They lower the volume completely and evenly throughout the frequency range, without cutting out much detail. A few have complained about the highs being muted - but the highs are what kill your hearing at loud concerts. The trick is to lower the highs without sacrificing too much detail, and I've found these do it wonderfully. Package includes multiple soft silicone tips. They also come with a cool little storage case that clips to the cords and can be worn as a necklace. Super easy to find without having to fish through my pockets. They do stick out a little from your ears, but big deal. Nobody comes to a concert to look at you with your earplugs, so who cares? I would rather save my hearing than save face, which is why I highly recommend these.
on May 17, 2012
Color Name: Gunmetal Black
I used my new V-MODA faders yesterday in the shop and they blocked out the high pitch machine noise without muting our conversation. I am going to buy them for all my customers visiting. A great way to look cool and protect my hearing!
on January 20, 2013
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
I had my doubts when I purchased these earplugs but felt it was worth a try. Went to see Purity Ring last night and these plugs brought the db level down to something very pleasant while still allowing me to hear everything and everyone very clearly. It was almost eerie. Strongly recommended for those that attend concerts and want to save their hearing. I left the strap on for fear of dropping one in the middle of the packed crowd and never seeing it again but they stayed firmly in place the whole evening. (Not a recommendation; an observation. Go with your comfort level.)
on July 30, 2012
Color Name: PinkVerified Purchase
First let me say I have no affiliation with any earplug manufacturer. I am a doctor of audiology. I have spent 40 years of my life trying to protect the hearing of people exposed to loud noise. I have published journal articles on this subject and did my master's thesis on this topic. Further, I am Director of the US largest consumer-test group for hearing aid users. As such I feel my data on the V-MODA Faders(tm) VIP should be considered over many of the favorable opinions given in these reviews.
Specifically, the manufacturer of this product states "The V-MODA Faders(tm) VIP reduce harmful noise levels evenly by 12dB* across the spectrum... allowing you to hear music and speech with crystal clarity while protecting your ears." They further claim that "Conventional earplugs often sound muffled and others, including customs, can be positioned too deep within the ear canal compromising the overall sound."
None of this is true. Let's start with the claim of equal sound attenuation across frequency:
We have a real-ear measurement system that allows us to measure sound attenuation across frequency directly at the eardrum of the listener while taking into account the listener's unique open-ear resonance.

Our data on the V-MODA Faders(tm) VIP is shown in Figure 1(available through email provided below) while being worn by one of my assistants. What you see in this figure is a disproportionate decrease in high-frequency gain relative to the low frequencies. This is how every earplug on the market works except for one.
In Figure 2(available through email provided below) you see the same data from a musician friend of mine who purchased the Etymotic Research Musicians Earplugs(tm) (see [...]). Specifically, this real-ear measurement was made while my friend was wearing the ER-15s. As you can see these earplugs really do give an even 15 dB attenuation across the frequencies 280 to 16000 kHz.
Not everyone can easily afford the custom-made ER-9, 15 or 25's (referring to the amount of real-ear attenuation in dB) which is why Etymotic also makes a non-custom ER-20 which are significantly less expensive, but to my ears less comfortable for over two hours of use.

Etymotic Research also manufactures electronic earplugs for those who need to hear really well yet are routinely and repeatedly exposed to dangerously loud blasts. All Etymotic Research products are available at many audiology facilities around the country.
Finally, V MODA claims that "Customs... can be positioned too deep within the ear canal compromising the overall sound." This is contrary to the science of acoustics. To achieve the desired equal attenuation across frequency the earplugs need to go deeply into the ears.

Under the leadership of founder Dr. Mead Killion, Etymotic Research has produced Musicians Earplugs attenuators for almost 25 years, which are based on a patent by his mentor Elmer Carlson. A deep canal fitting is required to achieve the equal attenuation. If you want to get what the V MODA faders claim to provide, buy the Etymotic Research ER-20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs which are available from Amazon for ½ the price of the V MODAs and really achieves what V MODA claims to do.

Please email rleavitt668@gmail.com if you would like our real-ear data on both types of earplugs.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 7, 2012
Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
My 12-year-old son started having migraines recently. Loud noises often trigger them and I wanted to get him something that would give him some protection from noise without completely drowning all sound out. Foam earplugs hurt his ears. These earplugs work very well and he has been allowed to use them at school. The detachable cord allows him to easily leave the earphones where he can get to them quickly and reassure me that he's less likely to lose them.
on December 12, 2014
Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
These work as advertised and reduce overall sound without excessive muddying. 'Excessive' being the operative word, not 'absolutely none at all'.

I knocked off 2 stars for them being the least comfortable, the 2nd most expensive of the 4 I purchased. Although if you need/want them, you can easily justify the cost of the accessories. The case, cord, and extra fitment adapters are a nice touch. Only the adapters add to the functionality of the plugs though, whereas the Alpines have different levels of protection for accessories.

I think my ears are of average size but have no measure of that. The green 'large' inserts were too big, and the reds were too small so I stuck with the default orange. My ears may just be sensitive to pressure and I can feel the edges of the plug when inserted. As for standard foam plugs I prefer softer ones such as the Hearos Ultimate Softness and Howard Leight Max Lite.

For acoustic plugs I have purchased 1. Hearos HiFi, 2. Etymotic ER20, 3. Alpine MusicSafe, 4. Vmoda Fader.

Comfort: 1. Alpine 2. Hearos/Etymotic 3. Vmoda. I think if you can get a good fit with the adapters and aren't bothered by the edge of the plug contacting your ear you can get comfort equal to the others.
Clarity: All are fairly close. I considered rating them high to low but I have no expertise and no good test that would apply to many other environments.
on December 9, 2013
Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
Supposed to be designed so that the volume is reduced and everything else stays the same, but as a guitar player in a band I found this to be untrue. I was experiencing some ringing in my ears after practice (loud drummer) so I thought I'd try these. Popped them in and they immediately sucked all the high end out of my guitar sound. It sounded like a muddy mess. Pulled them right out. They do just exactly what regular earplugs do. Not sure where all these good reviews are coming from. Lame. Don't buy 'em.
on February 12, 2013
Color Name: Gunmetal BlackVerified Purchase
I would (and do) where these just about anywhere. I have an ear problem that might end up costing me most of the hearing in my right ear, so I want to protect my ears whenever possible. These Faders are amazing for that purpose.

Sound: The only earplugs I've ever had that are both re-usable and clear-sounding. These don't turn every sound into a muddy growl like those foam pellets many people stick in their ear canals. Sounds are as they should be, only much quieter. If anything, I enjoy live music's audio quality more because of these. The distortion from being too loud for your ears to handle is restricted, and so it sounds better. Great for concerts and such.

Style: Also pretty great. Looks like a well-made set of earbuds, only more durable since there's little to nothing to break. They come with a case good-looking enough that I wore it as a necklace type thing when I wasn't using it for a while, but the case hinge broke. That's really my biggest gripe, the case being something I didn't expect to get, then got one with the earplugs, liked it, and it broke.

Durability: Unparalleled. As long as we're not talking about the case. These have gone through the washer, been dropped 6 feet onto concrete, and all sorts of other things and still look great. I would be careful around mud, as that seems like it would be a bit harder to get off without a lot of work.

All in all a great product. Does what it's supposed to well, comfortably and for a long time.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations