5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Seriously, wow.
Published on August 14, 2011 by Erik R. Carlseen

3.0 out of 5 stars V-Moda V-80 review
Strengths:

Built quality is top notch. I think this the thing that you are really paying for this product.
Highs are really good. Mediums are there as well but it a bit thin sounding mids. For the this price range it should be thick mids which disappoints.

Suppiled cables are very good and the 45 degree designs are very good.
Cables are...
Published 15 months ago by O. D. Tanjoco

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Seriously, wow., August 14, 2011
Erik R. Carlseen (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Electronics)
These are some absolutely amazing headphones, especially when you consider that they're priced well under $300. Excellent construction, and the sound is perfect for my taste. After getting them in, I've listened to all sorts of music - my tastes run from House / Electro to classical (tested with Dvorak's Symphony #9 in E Minor - lots of subtlety) to hip-hop, to Europop, and even some old Rush albums (and - ultimate test- the newly released BluRay audio version of Moving Pictures). The response curve is nice and flat (at least for headphones), and the details of the music flow beautifully. I couldn't be happier.

Other details like the detachable Kevlar-reinforced iPhone-compatible cord with remote are just icing on the cake. Normally I wouldn't really care much about what the headphones look like, but these are as close as you can get to works of art on your ears. It's not a decision maker / breaker, but to me it says a lot about a company that apparently cares about every possible detail in their products (even a carrying case that easily clips onto a carry-on bag - seriously, is there *nothing* these guys don't think about?!??).

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best portable headphones!, March 26, 2012
This is coming from someone who owns many high-end headphones such as the HE-500, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, LCD2...To my ears, the V-80/M-80 is second to none of the on ear category. The sound as a whole package is smooth and pleasing. Comfort could be better though, and it's the only flaw.

Only other contenders to the on-ear supreme is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 and Beyerdynamic DT1350. But both of those are at a higher price, this makes the V-M80 a no brainer.

Highly Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Terrific Sound!, July 7, 2011
Okay, I couldn't resist the "bloody" reference, but "terrific sound" is absolutely on target. I sit at my computer too many hours of the day as a professional marketing guy, and the V-80s have actually forced me to extend my sessions. I may have finished my work, but I remain so I can listen to the crystal clear tones and tunes of these great headphones. I have showed them off to every one of my friends, because they look and feel amazing - in addition to the sound quality which is truly the best I've ever heard. I own a pair of Sennheiser as well as Shure SE530. The Sennheisers have been relegated to the TV set and the Shures are sitting in their case in my desk cabinet. It's V-Moda and True Blood for eternity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound! Small Package!, December 28, 2011
Fenix-Jester (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
As a hard of hearing 35 year old customer, finding a good set of headphones is a difficult task where at a reasonable volume I can hear everything. Some are all thump and you can't hear the vocals, the highs and lows, some are "tinny" and sound like the old string and 2 used plastic cups tied together.

After doing WAY more research than I probably needed between Beats, Aviators (Skullcandy), Vmoda Crossfade LP's, these, and the M80 (which by the way are the exact same headphone), I opted for these as the price was a good bargain and after Christmas I had some spare cash to roll towards an audio solution.

While I am no audiophile, I have tried many types and brands of headphones. Skullcandy Ti, VModa Remix, Skullcandy Skullcrushers, Shure SE115, Beats Tour, Skullcandy Hesh, and probably a couple I forgot about. Through all of these I looked for comfort and great sound quality.

While they may have one, they often didn't have the other...

Today I received my V80's from Amazon.com, I was very pleased with the entire package as VModa really goes the extra step towards the presentation of these products. I haven't burned them in all the way but I have been running them for the past 11 hours and the sound is getting warmer.

I can hear all the parts of my music plus parts I never had heard before. The bass isn't so heavy it rattles your brain out your nose, but it's there and blends nicely with the ambiance of the music. The vocals, highs, and mids are very smooth and it all sounds uniform together. I have been sucked into my own little world for the past many hours and haven't taken these off yet. They sit lightly on my ears (ON the Ear), and can be twisted around for a better fit, but I have a small head with small ears so I didn't have to move things around much.

Types of music played on the headphones already at 50% of the volume on my 5th Gen. iPod Classic and my Macbook Pro
Guns n Roses
Beastie Boys
Motley Crue
Seether
Red Hot Chili Peppers
and quite a bit more music

If I were you and you had the cash to invest, I would for sure give these a shot, VModa has a test drive program, if you don't like these within 60 days you can return them, no questions asked and Amazon is an authorized dealer. What have you got to lose. Just remember, my opinion is mine, and with music and headphones, it is all based on user experience, to take ANY feedback with a grain of salt. Good luck shopping and if you get these I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound!, December 16, 2011
I have had the V-Moda V-80 True Blood headphones now for 3 months. They sound great! But wear them for more than 4 hours and your ears will hurt, since they go on your ear and not over them. Cool case and two cords. I tried to order the blood type shields for mine, but they are not available on V-Moda's website anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, November 7, 2013
Very detailed sound. Great bass extension and texture. Fantastic vocal reproduction and sweet treble, not fatiguing at all. Great build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I've ever had, and vampire themed too!, November 4, 2013
Best headphones I've ever had, and vampire themed too! Very comfortable, great quality sound, they seem durable, and the aesthetics are awesome (In internet terms: it looks awesome, feels awesome, and sounds awesome)
Highly recommended, I know they are pricey but they save you from buying s***ty 30$ headphones over and over because they break

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST HEADPHONES MY WIFE EVER HAD!, October 14, 2013
Phil Espejo (Rizal, Philippines) - See all my reviews
It started with my V-Moda Crossfade headphones (M-100, LP & LP2) which I am a very huge fan of. Then my wife tried my M-100 and was so amazed by the sound. So, she asked me if I could get her one... and asked if V-Moda has anything smaller as she finds the Crossfade M-100 and LP2 too big for her. So, I bought her a pair v-80's. Sound quality wise... just about the same as the rest of the normal Crossfade series... they just got smaller. I still prefer my LP2 and M-100 for their size. The V-80 is perfect for people with smaller ears and for ladies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be scared away by the style!, December 7, 2012
Z. Mehrbach "Zach" (Chicago/New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
If your like me, and typically don't want to stick out like a sore thumb wearing headphones in public then you make take pause when thinking about ordering these. I am a big fan of IEM's for that very reason although I have owned a good number of full sized cans in my time. Thankfully, these are actually very ergonomic and small and they really don't stick out any more than sennheiser's HD-25 II or Beyer's DT1350. They are just comfortable as well. People have made some reports that these clamp tighter, which may be the case, but the ear pads are made of some sort of memory foam type material that molds to your ears after a while of good use, making them very comfortable. So don't give up on them right away!

PACKAGING/ACCESSORIES: These come with a LOT of nice items. Including a very nice for fitting hard case to fit these quite well. You also get two cables, one for use with a phone that has a mic and push button and one that is slighter longer without the button. They have a nice fabric like coating on them, and they seem to fight warping well. V-Moda definitely
pays attention to their presentation, and they delivered in this aspect.

SOUND:

Overall, I like a balanced presentation. I listen to a wide variety of music, including Old Time, Bluegrass, EDM, Sountrack, Pop/Rock, Classic Rock etc etc. I don't want to have to adjust the eq everytime a new song comes up. This is what I was worried about with these headphones but because of all the great reviews on them I took the plunge.

With no burn in the sound is a tiny bit congested with the mid range and upper mids to trebles sounding as if they haven't yet been released fully. Fortunately after about 80 hours of burn in these open up nicely and present much better. It's worth noting that these are slightly ported, with a three small slits on each ear-cup. No, the person next to you on the sub way won't be able to hear the music well, but it does make isolation a little less than fully closed cans. It also adds a little space to the soundstage, which is part of what I think makes this a great portable headphone. One of the innate problems in IEM's and closed portable headphones is the lack of soundstage. While still quite a forward presentation, the v-moda, once burned in has a moderately deep, relaxed presentation that is very easy to listen to. It is deeper a presentation than it is wide or tall.

As far as bass, this headphone will certainly satisfy a basshead when called upon. But when not eq'd up it won't overwhelm the rest of the music. There is a TINY bit of bleed into the lower mids but it actually quite nice and adds to the overall laid back presentation of these. I tested the bass frequencies and I could audibly hear the 20 hz frequency and could feel it at least doing something at 15 and 10. So these definitely do as advertised. With acoustic music the bass adds nice subtle weight behind the instruments, and as I listen to that music the most, I thoroughly enjoy them with acoustic instruments.

The mids are neither forward nor recessed. Vocals are nicely rendered without much coloration and the soundstage in the mids is very nicely done. These may have a slight U shape to their frequency curve but it in dramatic and I actually really like where the mids sit. Again it is laid back, with the vocals not being iny our face, but not distant at all.

The highs are what suprised me the most. There is just enough "reverb shimmer" to be really enjoyable to listen to. I didn't expect this from these headphones and especially after burn they surprise and amaze me with this. They may be slightly rolled off somewhere, but it certainly isn't largely noticeable.

These do perform a lot better with a headphone amp. They may not require a lot of power for volume but having a bit of headroom from an amp really makes these things sing. I used a schiit LYR and a JDS 421 while testing these headphones, and while the sound is good without them, the amps take them to another level. Giving a much better soundstage and overall balanced presentation.

In conclusion these are some of the best portable headphones out there, comparing well to the SennheiserHD-25 and the Beyer 1350. And now they are a little cheaper. The presentation is a little thicker and dark then the sennheiser's but overall I am very pleased with these and will keep them. I do wish that I could switch pads on these just to see how it would affect sound. Let me know if you have found something that works as an alternate pad. Great value!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect..., August 11, 2012
Christopher (AMELIA, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
I've had the V-Moda's for about a week and I can tell you that these are truly a great set of headphones. Start with the packaging: very nice, durable, stylish, enclosure with plenty of protection for shipment.

Once you open the packaging you find that the headphones come inside an absolute great case. Not only does the case provide protection for the headphones, it's probably the coolest headphone case I've ever seen. The fit of the headphones inside is really secure, so much that if you have to extend the sides they don't fit. I have to extend the cans 6 clicks to get a good fit and in order to put them back in the case, I have to fully retract. This is not a big deal and I would prefer knowing that when I put the headphones in the case for travel they will be protected.

The build quality of the headphones are second to NONE! I've had Bose, Beats, Shure, and Etymotic headphones and the build quality on the V-Moda's are amazing. The Bose are the only one's that come close and Beats are just overpriced garbage, and if I owned an establishment couldn't in good conscious sell Beats (rant...breath-sorry). The V-Moda's are very durable and when you hold them in your hand you can feel the quality. I would consider the Moda's the best quality you can build in without making the headphones so heavy you're unable wear them for an extended time. I've listened to the Moda's for several hours with no issues of feeling the weight on your neck or head.

The Moda's are definitely comfortable. The pads around the drivers are very cushy and form fit nicely on your ears. You can adjust the position of the cans by extending the sides, which click nicely in place. The Moda's are not like some headphones I've had where you get them adjusted and over several hours the cans continue to drop and your constantly fidgeting with the position. Once you put the Moda's where you want them, that's where they stay.

Sound quality is very good and comparable to Bose. Very crisp, clean, highs and nice solid, rich, lows but not overpowering. If you're looking for a very clean, balanced, rich, sound then you won't be disappointed. If you want to bounce your eyeballs out of their sockets and don't care about sound quality... order the Beats (breath).

I really like the overall styling of these headphones. I think it's the perfect mix of style and functionality. The fact that you can customize if you wish is pretty cool and I may order a set of custom shields in the future.

Bottom line: I love these headphones and would buy them again in a minute.

So... my one little issue with the Moda's and what somewhat irritates me. The cables that come with the Moda's are a very good quality and probably the best I've seen with any headphones but this model didn't come with the 3 button control. Why???? With a 3.5mm plug, you know they will be used with an iPod or smartphone. To produce such a quality, well designed, functional, and thought out pair of headphones and then charge $20 for a 3 button cable, I will never understand. It should be included and yes V-Moda will get $20 more of my money because I will purchase it but... C'mon Moda! Why go 99.9% of the way and then skimp out on such a small option. Still love ya!

Stop reading the reviews and just BUY them!

V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone