4.0 out of 5 stars Video review
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:57 Mins
Note: Amazon has mashed the 480p SD and 720p HD webcam reviews together, for reasons unknown. Make sure you're viewing reviews for the webcam you want.

Sorry for all the skipping in the video. I had to stitch a bunch of clips together, so it's an editing thing and not the webcam's fault.

I needed a webcam at a rock bottom...
Published 15 months ago by Mr. Wazowski

3.0 out of 5 stars My first web cam
This old horse decided to learn a new trick, video calls (new to me!) that my kids are doing to let each other see the grand kids. We get to see the grand kids in person fairly often, but babies grow fast and seeing them in between visits on the small screen seemed like a good idea.

Published on December 8, 2011 by We share her Amazon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Video review, October 19, 2013
Length:: 2:57 Mins

I needed a webcam at a rock bottom price, but wanted to avoid the horrible generic crap at this end of the price range. This V7 webcam is the cheapest brand-name one I could find with decent specs. It does VGA video at a decent framerate, which is pretty much all I need.

The webcam worked right out of the box. First thing I noticed: there's lots of motion blur. Much worse than the Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 Webcam - Black I had previously. Second - the exposure was a bit off, by about +1/3 stops. The video was 640x480 and decently sharp, though the Microsoft webcam was sharper. The focus ring does its job, but I wish it were bigger and easier to grip. It's very easy to stick on a post-it for privacy, unlike some webcams that don't have a flat area around the lens.

The microphone, I won't lie, is okay. People will make out what you're saying. But that's just about it.

The included software lets you take videos, photos, and change some of the webcam's settings. This is great because I could adjust the exposure properly. My recorded video files come out at 25FPS, which is pretty close to the claimed 30fps. As another reviewer noted, some of the video files are HUGE. A minute-long recording took up nearly 900MB. However, others seem just fine - a 3-minute clip was just over 50MB. Not a big problem if you've got a decent hard drive, but still something to keep in mind. Occasionally, the video will skip back a frame - that is, it displays a frame that was taken about half a second ago. This happens in both recorded videos and web chats. It's easily removed in editing, and a miniscule issue otherwise.

Unfortunately, the settings you change in the software don't apply to external programs. So if you adjust the contrast manually, for example, it will still go back to its default setting in a Skype call. Disappointing, but at this price, I can't complain.

The snapshot button is useless. It won't work unless you have the camera software running, and even then, it only takes one photo at a time. You have to save each photo individually, otherwise it doesn't save - an error on the engineers' parts. However, if you need to do timelapses or stuff, there's plenty of webcam software available online.

Something I didn't mention in the video: this camera messes with my computer. My PC won't start if it's plugged in - the computer just freezes at the boot screen. I have to unplug the webcam and re-plug it once Windows starts up. Other times, Windows doesn't recognize the webcam, so I have to restart AGAIN and hope it works. My Microsoft webcam never had these problems, so I'll try to use the 1-year warranty to get it replaced by V7. (Bonus fact: V7 is owned by Ingram Micro, a little-known yet enormous international distribution company)

Overall, it's a decent webcam. For this price, it's pretty good. For less than $9, you could do a lot worse, trust me.

UPDATE: V7 was very nice and issued me a replacement. The new webcam has different packaging, but now my computer boots up just fine. I am using the old software with the new webcam, since I highly doubt they changed anything. I can hear a rapid beeping noise in the background during recordings with the included software, but in calls and recordings with other programs the sound is fine. So, yay.

3.0 out of 5 stars My first web cam, December 8, 2011

To get my feet wet, I decided to go with a low cost model. At under $10, this is a low risk investment. Our desktop is from 2004 and our laptop from 2007. When I scrutinized the system requirements that are beyond basic, I realized that my machines don't come close to what is needed for HD and such, and that helped steer me to the low end of the market.

End result? It works. Video calls were OK, according to the recipients. I can see from viewing my web cam locally, resolution is acceptable, for how I am using it (making calls). Lighting needs to be abundant and right on you. If you move off of the optimum spot, it changes drastically.

As for capturing video, it's a total bust. The audio and video are horribly out of sync (a flaw NOT observed during calls). And, the AVI clips it creates are enormous! A 1.5 minute clip was over ONE GIGABYTE! That's over 1000 times larger than AVI clips created by my Canon PowerShot!

As for "Plug and Play", my old desktop with Windows XP found it, set it up and had it working quickly, without having to install the setup program on the included CD. My newer laptop with Windows Vista needed the extra program to make things function.

Bottom line: I can't recommend it, but I'm not complaining much. After all, it was under $10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good as it's made out to be..., March 20, 2013
Pictures are fuzzy but passable. I see no proof that this can take 16 megapixel pictures. If you don't have a light on when using this camera at night, you might as well unplug it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, March 22, 2013
This review is from: V7 Professional 720p HD Webcam with Built in Mic for Skype, Messenger, Windows Live, and Yahoo Video on Laptops and Desktop PC's (CS720A0-1N) - Black (Personal Computers)
Had this for just a couple weeks, works fine so far, so not going to give it 5 stars just after a couple weeks of use. One thing...the application software that comes with this unit is pure junk, doesn't give you many options at all to do anything with this camera. Can't take any still pictures from within the software, have to press the button on the webcam itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Webcam, April 5, 2013
Decent picture. There is a focus adjustment that works well. The setup was easy enough and works well with Skype

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife loves it., January 11, 2013
Gave this to my wife for a Christmas present and she loves it. Good price and speedy shipment. Received product in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars V7 webcam 300, July 14, 2013
Good product for the price. Gets the job done so far without using the cd to install drivers. Have no complaints.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible picture quality and delay, April 15, 2014
Not worth the money, find something better. I only wanted to use this for google hangouts, but I'm not happy with the overall quality of this camera. It does not seem to focus on anything. I think the megapixel labeling is false.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked great out of the box on my Windows 7 machine, September 4, 2014
Worked great out of the box on my Windows 7 machine.

I have tried several webcams in this price range, and this one has by far the poorest image quality, but is also the most reliable. I'm not really expecting great image quality at this price, anyway.

Most webcams I have used are unreliable - video or audio will cut out randomly during skype calls, etc.

I've had no problems at all with this one. It works every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works great. I see no difference between this and much ..., July 22, 2014
I paid $5.00 for this cam. It cost that much to ship it. It works great. I see no difference between this and much higher priced units. The bottom line is that many off brands have excellent stuff, and the inner workings are undistinguishable from the name brands. And for $5.00, I could buy a lot of these before paying for one of the others. It's not a film ready cam. It's just regular internet cam. It works. It's cheap. get one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›