Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon June 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I saw "V8 complete nutrition" I think I expected something a little better than this. I like the original V8 juice cocktails very much, and I think they are healthy and nutritious. This product is nothing like that.

This thing resembles a chocolate covered granola bar. Each bar is 200 calories, which is kind of a lot for such a small snack. There is plenty of fat and sugar in there, including corn syrup.

To me it tastes weird, like it is trying to be two different things, both a healthy vegetable snack and an indulgent sweet snack, and failing at both.

I suppose, technically, this bar contains vegetables, if you consider sweet potato juice concentrate, soluble corn fiber and dehydrated carrots to be vegetables.

The chocolate coating is kind of thin and slimy. The inside texture is dense and chewy. I only ate half the bar. I threw the rest away. I didn't really like the lingering after-taste.
VINE VOICEon July 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really didn't find these all that bad, to be honest. Yes, it has 200 calories, but it also has 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of dietary fiber. When I'm looking for a filling snack before working out for a full hour with my personal trainer, a regular granola bar, while indeed tastier, is just NOT going to cut it. So, the calories are not an issue for me as I make sure to work protein bars into my calorie limit for the day.

The taste was decent. In my opinion, protein bars in general taste a bit metallic. Do not expect to bite into this and think you're eating a Snickers. It won't taste that way, and like I said, in my personal experience, protein bars don't taste like candy bars or even regular granola bars for that matter. I don't really taste the peanut butter in this, but the chocolate was good. It is dark chocolate so if you're not a fan, I'd stay away. The texture is dense and a bit chewy but not a "pull out your filling" type of chewy....just enough to make it seem like you're eating something substantial.

I had one of these the other day prior to my workout and it definitely filled me up and gave me energy. I wasn't feeling any hunger pangs during my workout, and that's always a plus and one of the reasons why I enjoy eating protein bars prior to exercising.
VINE VOICEon July 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The idea of a nutrition bar made by V8, with a half serving of veggies in it, no less, made me pause and think, "Hmmm." But it's actually surprisingly good. I couldn't taste any veggies, but I'm willing to trust that they are there. It had nice flavor; not the best I've ever had, but tasty enough to enjoy. The only reason I gave it four stars is the dark chocolate. I'm not fond of dark chocolate and I don't care how healthy it is. It's not even a tenth as good as milk chocolate. But if you like dark chocolate, you just might find yourself really loving these bars. And I think that children wouldn't believe there were veggies in it if you didn't let them see the box and took the bar out of the wrapper! It didn't come with a big box (viners only get one bar, not a box) so I can't tell you about other nutritional info. But you can read that yourself at the store, before you buy it.
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Many vitamins and minerals your body needs come from vegetables. You can carry carrots and squash around n your pocket or choose an alternative such as a V8 nutrition bar.
When you check th eingredients label, it looks like the nutrition is there. The taste is a medley of chocolate and peanuts (including the peanut shells). That's not necessarily bad, just unexpected.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't know exactly what I expected from this Complete Nutrition Bar from V8. Mind you, I love and support the V8 brand, but I'm not particularly impressed with this new offering. Having sampled most protein bars on the market, I find this offering pretty standard. It has a good flavor, but is quite grainy as well. The chocolate peanut butter taste is decent, but does not come across as very natural. The bar has 10g of protein, 5 grams of fiber, and weighs in at 200 calories with nine grams of total fat. As a meal alternative, it might do in a pinch but there are tastier options on the market with a similar composition.

What is the primary selling point? It is also the equivalent of a half serving of vegetables. Oh well, think I'd rather have a V8! I appreciate that V8 is trying to expand their brand, I'm going to stick a little closer to home. KGHarris, 8/13.
on September 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a little at a loss to understand the purpose of these bars. The amount of sugars in them makes them a candy bar. But they have none of the candy bar deliciousness. The coating has a weird mouth feel instead of being rich and melty like chocolate. The bar has a weird Styrofoam texture with the occasional bit of grit. And the flavor wasn't that great. The flavor left my mouth with a weird dry feeling.

I appreciate opportunities to improve my nutrition but this is not well implemented. For this amount of sugar you could have a candy bar. Just eat a salad too. It will taste better.
VINE VOICEon August 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
All I could see from the ingredient list was lots of things with fancy names for sugar and sweet potato juice concentrate.

*shrugs*

This was OK, I did like the chewiness of the bar, and the nuts. The chocolate was a bit on the bitter side, but I don't care for really sweet chocolate anyway. I had it for lunch on the go and don't feel hungry.

It's an average nutrition bar, not great but not bad either. It isn't one I'd run to the store and purchase, but I wouldn't turn my nose up if I was offered a bar. I still prefer veggies in the original V8 juice cans :)
இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾѾ Recommended with warm fuzzies (but try one pack before you decide to buy more)

► Nutritional Value: ѾѾѾѾѾ Excellent 5-fuzzies rating
► Packaging, Appearance, Flavor: ѾѾѾѾ Good 4-fuzzies rating (although taste is a highly subjective opinion)
► Competitive Pricing & Value: ѾѾѾѾ Good 4-fuzzies rating

փ Positives:

փ These snack bars are loaded with nutrients (although the "Complete Nutrition" label is a bit too optimistic)
փ One or two of these bars offer enough nutrients and full-feeling fiber to serve as a meal replacement bar.

ჯ Negatives:

ჯ Because these nutrition bars include some ingredients that are very unconventional for a snack bar, such as sweet potato juice and dehydrated carrots, they taste slightly different than what you might expect when compared to other snack bars with a chocolate peanut butter flavor.
ჯ Although this is more of a nitpick since many snack bars are not totally free of GMO ingredients, I wish that these V8 snack bars were entirely free of ingredients sourced from genetically modified organisms.

I love being outdoors both during summer and winter, playing in both 90-degree heat and sub-zero-degree snow, and I always like to keep a variety of snack bars in my CamelBak backpacks, usually mixing together at least four different brands or flavors of snack bars, with some being crunchy and some being chewy and most having some kind of chocolate flavor to them. Prior to trying this V8 snack bar, I always associated the "V8" name with their tomato/vegetable juice blend, which I love, especially the "Spicy Hot V8". Although these new V8 snack bars do not include tomatoes like V8 juice, they do include carrots, sweet potatoes, and soluble corn fiber, which are three VERY unusual ingredients to use in a snack bar.

Here are the ingredients and nutrition information:

Ingredients: chocolate coating (sugar, fractionated palm kernel oil, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), lactose (milk), soy lecithin, soy protein isolate, sweet potato juice concentrate, soluble corn fiber, corn syrup, roasted peanuts (with salt and soybean oil), glycerine, roasted peanuts, rice crisp (rice flour, salt, barley malt extract), peanut butter, peanuts, dehydrated carrots, oats, sugar. Contains 2 percent or less of: partially defatted peanut flour, chocolate liquor, flavoring (peanuts, sesame oil, alpha tocopherol), natural butter flavoring (whey solids, enzyme-modified butter, maltodextrin, salt, dehydrated butter, annatto, turmeric [for color]), roasted peanut oil, maltodextrin, salt, natural flavoring, coca butter, natural flavor, soy lecithin, vanilla extract, peanut oil, butter (cream [milk]), sesame seed oil, natural flavors, rice extract.

Nutrition Facts:

Serving Size: 1 Bar (1.72 ounce)
Servings Per Container: 6
Selenium: 35%DV
Copper: 10%DV
Manganese: 30%DV
Chromium: 80%DV
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Both with the ingredients and nutritional content, these snack bars are similar to the Luna Bars "Nutz Over Chocolate" flavor, Luna Bars, Nutz Over Chocolate, 1.7-Ounce Bars, 15 Count, which I also love. Both this V8 and the Luna nutrition bars use peanuts, chocolate, rice crisps, and oats. The Luna Bars "Nutz Over Chocolate" has a slightly more firm and crunchy texture, whereas these V8 chocolate peanut butter bars are more soft and mealy like a protein bar. If you frequently ski or snowshoe in the winter like I do, a softer snack bar like this is advantageous because they are less likely to turn into hard bricks while carrying them in backpacks in sub-freezing weather. Although these are advertised as "nutrition bars", their 10 grams of protein have as much protein as snack bars that are advertised as "protein bars". And unlike some protein bars that do not have much fiber, each V8 bar has 5 grams of fiber to help you feel less hungry.

These bars' caloric, fat, sodium, and sugar content are average when compared to other healthy snack/nutrition/protein bars - not really high and not really low. Some snack bars are lower in calories, fat, sodium, or sugar than these bars, but higher in some other areas. For example, the Luna Bars "Nutz Over Chocolate" has slightly less calories and fat with zero cholesterol, but more sodium, than these V8 bars.

Overall, these V8 bars have a nutritional composition that is very similar to the Luna Bars "Nutz Over Chocolate". Luna Bars have their nutritional content adjusted more for the needs of women, even though they are perfectly fine for men to also eat; their "Nutz Over Chocolate" flavor contains more iron, calcium, and iodine than these V8 bars. But these V8 bars contain more fiber, calories, and three times the chromium than the Luna Bars. Unlike the 25%DV chromium in the Luna Bars, these V8 bars have a whopping 80%DV of chromium due to the use of sweet potato juice in these bars. Chromium helps to maintain your blood sugar, insulin, and cholesterol levels in your blood. But considering that these V8 bars include dehydrated carrots, I am surprised by the modest 15%DV amount of vitamin A in each nutrition bar since carrots contain a large amount of vitamin A. But the use of carrots and sweet potato juice in these snack bars may be a deal-breaker for you in that they add more of a strange taste when compared to most chocolate peanut butter snack bars. Each of these V8 bars provides for 1/4 cup of vegetables, or a one-half serving of vegetables based on the USDA's recommended daily intake of 2 1/2 cups of vegetables for a 2000-calorie diet.

If you do not have a fixed expectation of what a chocolate/peanut nutrition bar should taste like, these bars are worth a try. You may like them if you keep an open mind. If you want a more conventional chocolate/peanut flavor, especially if you are a woman, go for the Luna Bars "Nutz Over Chocolate" that has a nutritional content similar to these V8 bars, but without the carrots and sweet potato juice altering the flavor. At the time of this review's writing, these V8 bars are priced at $1.00 per 1.7-ounce bar, whereas the Luna Bars have been priced for the past few months at an excellent price of $0.88 per 1.7-ounce bar.

The inclusion of carrots and sweet potato juice does alter the peanut flavor in these V8 bars. The chocolate flavor exists as a coating on the exterior of the bar and is not affected as much by the vegetable ingredients. The chocolate flavor is pretty good; but, like all snack bars, it is not really gourmet chocolate. Both these V8 bars and the Luna Bars use soy protein to fortify their protein content. These V8 bars also contain whey solids. Whey is derived from dairy sources and may cause gas, bloating, or cramps in some people, especially those with lactose intolerance. And since this V8 bar contains whey, it is suitable for vegetarians like me, but not suitable for people on a strict vegan diet.

I like the slightly different flavor in these V8 bars as much as I like the more conventional flavor of the "Nutz Over Chocolate" Luna Bars. But then again, I also like eating plainly boiled Brussels sprouts with their bitter aftertaste, and I do not mind this unconventional approach of adding carrots and sweet potato juice to a chocolate peanut butter snack bar. But I am glad that tomato juice was not also added to this nutrition bar's ingredients (to keep with the V8 juice theme) or else the flavor would have been far more strange. It would be better if these V8 snack bars were totally free of GMO ingredients however. The Luna Bars are officially free of ingredients sourced from genetically modified organisms (GMOs). The V8 brand is owned by the Campbell Soup Company. There is no GMO statement about these V8 bars, so I phoned the V8 Complete Nutrition Bar consumer affairs hotline at 800-341-5026. They replied that their use of GMO ingredients is "limited to sugar beets, corn, soybeans, rapeseed, and canola". These V8 bars contain corn fiber, corn syrup, and soy protein, thus these bars may contain GMO corn and soybeans. There are many snack bars, and many packaged foods in general, that are not totally free of GMO ingredients. But this is something to consider if you want to avoid foods containing GMO ingredients.
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
On Saturday morning, for breakfast, I ate one V8 Chocolate Peanut Butter Complete Nutrition Bar and a glass of low-fat milk. (I had numerous chores to perform around my apartment and was hard pressed for time.) The V8 bar was surprisingly delicious. I love the taste of chocolate and peanut butter and grew up on eating Reeses Peanut Butter Cups ]. However, because I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), I often purchase a box of Fiber One 90 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Chewy Bars (Fiber One Chewy Bars 90 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter - 20/0.82oz).

I ate the V8 bar at approximately 8:00 A.M. and didn't feel any hunger pains until approximately 11:00 A.M. The V8 bar has five grams of fiber. My Fiber One bar also has five grams of fiber. Therefore, I know the V8 bar will help relieve my IBS. As I said earlier, the bar was delicious; it was very thick and chewy. However, there was the slightest hint of vegetable matter. It became less noticeable the more I ate the bar. The V8 bar has only 200 calories and the glass of low-fat milk I drunk had 100 calories. Together, the two made a quick, nutritious meal. I only wish Amazon and V8 had sent me an entire box.

Normally, I keep a box of Fiber One bars at work in case I forget my Activia Yogurt for breakfast or have a craving for a chocolate dessert. After comparing my Fiber One 90 Calorie Bars to the V8 Complete Nutrition Bars, I've decided that the V8 bars are more nutritious and satisfying. For example, the Fiber One bars only have one gram of protein; the V8 bar has ten grams! Also, the V8 bars have a slew of vitamins and nutrients (e.g., A, B6, B12, C, K, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, zinc, and calcium) that are not listed on the box for the Fiber One bars. I will begin buying V8 bars for my home and office.

Joseph B. Hoyos
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I'm headed to town--a 45 minute drive up the highway--for a day of shopping, my husband always reminds me (encourages me) to stop for lunch. I never want to do that: Too much to see and do! This trip, I took this V8 bar with me.

You know, it's not meant to be a diet bar; it's meant to help keep your energy up when you are working hard and have no time to sit down and eat a meal.

Well, I shop hard. I shop long. (I do the same when I'm out fishing in the boat, too...) I don't like to stop and eat, but if I don't, I come home very tired and cranky. Not this time!

First I hit the grocery store, then loaded my haul in the trunk, then the second grocery store, then the shoe store, then the department store, and my favorite discount store, and another one, and another one. A stop at the bank, then the liquor store, then a final stop at the Asian market for fish and greens, and a 45 minute drive home. Left at 8 a.m., back at 3:30 p.m. and greeted my husband on the drive with a smile on my face.

Somewhere during that stint, I ate my V8 bar. And I found that it really did help keep me going--that bar and three bottles of water. The bar is a bit sweet for me, but not too bad. The chocolate was rich tasting (a bit on the dark side) and there was a definite peanut butter taste. Crunchy, but not too crunchy--nothing to get stuck in my teeth. Unlike several other reviewers, I did NOT detect a bitter taste. I did detect a tangy-ness in the aftertaste, but it was not offensive.

With the amount of chocolate on it, I didn't leave the bar in the hot vehicle when it was locked up. I think it would melt, but I didn't give it the chance: After the first few bites, I stashed it in a baggie and put it in the cooler with some of my groceries.

I think I'll pick up a box of these; I think my husband will like them too.

See 1 answered question