4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Price Point
I am extremely picky with my monitors. I don't see anything outperforming this monitor at this price point.

That said, it does have it's flaws...

The out of box colors on this monitor are HORRIBLE. So bad I was considering sending it back. I spent about 2 hours calibrating to get it right.

The interface controls for calibration are also...
Published on January 1, 2011 by Ethenolas

2.0 out of 5 stars Ghosting Issues as well
Sent this one back. The ghosting issues are real (Geforce 8800GT GPU) and can be improved by turning off OD mode from the special hardware menu but this resets every time the monitor is turned off or goes to sleep.

Published on September 12, 2011 by SGX

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Price Point, January 1, 2011
Ethenolas (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS VE248H 24-Inch Full-HD LED-lit LCD Monitor with Integrated Speakers (Personal Computers)

That said, it does have it's flaws...

The interface controls for calibration are also quite cumbersome, which is part of the reason why it took me so long to make my adjustments.

I did, however, successfully tweak the settings and got them close enough to enjoy the use of this monitor.

There will be some variation between monitors but for anyone curious my settings are as follows...

Theater Mode

Brightness 85
Contrast 85
ASCR OFF
Sharpness 81
Saturation 39

Color Temp. Normal
Skin Tone Reddish

I hope this helps anyone struggling with a similar issue. I would recommend to anyone on a budget, truly a "bang for the buck" product. There are better monitors out there for sure, but easily 2x the price for any noticeable gains in performance.

I was able to adjust the settings to make it enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, February 25, 2011
Joe Paige (Oxnard, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this monitor tentatively based on some other substandard reviews. I'm glad I pulled the trigger though. This monitor is, well I think the title sums it up best, gorgeous. There were no dead pixels and the item was well packaged upon receipt. First off I must dispell the "ghosting" rumor. There is zero ghosting on my monitor. It's running on a GTX 460 1gb graphics card with a mini HDMI-HDMI connection. I have watched high definition content online, blu-ray movies, and used various applications trying my hardest to find a flaw, but to no avail. It performs seamlessly. Moreover, the colors and factory presets were spot on. Some reviewers stated they had to spend hours calibrating this monitor before it was remotely viewable. I can't understand or relate to this in any way. I was more afraid to adjust the settings at all because it was already perfect right out of the box. I've also read some reviewers stating that you need to use a DVI before you can switch to HDMI. This is also not true. I started with the HDMI and after changing the input selection to HDMI the screen loaded right up. The initial display was at an old resolution for some reason but all it took was a reboot and I was viewing full 1080p.

Moving on, the stand is secure but not the most stable. Let me explain, it's definitely not going to spontaneously fly off your desk however, if you have a desk or computer cart that moves then the monitor will wobble. Seems like more of a safety feature though because the base remains glued to the surface but the monitor jiggles a bit to absorb the motion. This is the only thing that could be considered a flaw. Other then that Asus has released 24 inches of brilliantly vivid glory. This monitor is remarkably clear while remaining very easy on the eyes. Not to mention energy efficient running at around 30 watts. Do yourself a favor and grab one, for $200 you can't do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 25, 2011
As I wasn't expecting to write this review this fast, I'm slightly in shock!

Ordered this on Feb 23rd, Paid for the 3-5day Standard Shipping. Recieved this Friday 2/25. Talk about fast? Amazon tracking still shows it is "Shipping Soon". Props to the Amazon and ANTonline for fast processing/shipping/delivery. Wasn't expecting this thing until next week!

Out of box, yes the colors are horrible, Red/Blue/Green all turned up to 100%. Simply setting this to Theatre Mode fixed it, but to ever go off of a "Splendid Mode" you need to manually adjust those. I'm not going to dock stars because of Out Of Box Look, this is expected.

This monitor is awesome. I haven't noticed any Ghosting, nor have I seen any Dead Pixels. There's no White visibly shown through around the edges, and the black is Black. The image is just awesome.

I Jumped into World of Warcraft to check out the view, 10x better than my older 20" LCD. The colors just Pop out at you. It's amzing.

The ONLY 2 negative comments I can make, although I knew this by reading hundreds of reviews first, is that you HAVE to hook up to DVI/VGA and adjust the settings to HDMI to run from an HDMI cable. Doesn't take more than 30 seconds, you can leave the HDMI cable plugged in while you do it, and you can unplug the DVI/vga cable immediately and it will Auto Refresh onto the HDMI slot.

The 2nd negative is that the speakers suck. I didn't purchasse this Monitor for the system as I have a 5.1 Surround hooked up to my PC. Quite frankly I don't know anyone looking for a monitor because of the SOUND, but if you are, look elsewhere. You aren't going to get amazing sound past High pitch (Take your car stereo, turn the Bass and Mids as low as they can go, Turn the Treble all the way up, this is what you get from these speakers).

2.0 out of 5 stars Ghosting Issues as well, September 12, 2011

The stock Splendid display modes were all off in color and none of them looked good right out of the box. Only got a 'decent' color calibration based on someone elses settings that I googled.

The actual build and style of the monitor is superb and is very stable on my desk.

Just wasnt for me

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice monitor, March 9, 2013
Let me say first, that this monitor can take a really long time to calibrate correctly. To be fair, most monitors probably look like s*** out of the box, but I've been fiddling with the settings on mine for about a week now. It took me probably 45 minutes to get it decent, and before writing this review, I saw someone posted their settings, but the lack of being able to have preset settings (which I wouldn't really expect on any monitor) makes it sort of hard to compare them.
For comparison's sake, my settings that I thought were good are:
game mode
brightness 90
contrast 80
saturation 60
ascr off
Smart view OFF

That's my biggest piece of advice. KEEP SMARTVIEW OFF. It washes out all your colors. I couldn't understand what it was at first, but then I realized what it could be, and google a pure black picture. with smartview on, it was a greyish brown color, not like black at all. Upon turning that off, even with bad settings for everything else, it was black black. That makes a world of difference and I wouldnt even start calibrating it until that's off.

Another sort of annoying thing is that if have smooth scrolling on in something like firefox and chrome, and you don't have good settings, you'll see text ghosting when you scroll, and it can be fairly distracting. Though from what I've read, that happens on a lot of bigger monitors.

That all being said, the monitor is very nice. It's gigantic, bright, great, the menu buttons on most monitors are bad, but if you put your 4 fingers on facing upwards on the menu buttons its easy to get used to as a system to change the settings, the base is nice and stable (mine shakes a bit when I type but I know for a fact that that's because my desk is wobbly), overall a very good purchase.

I don't mean to scare anyone away with the above criticisms. The monitor is great, but there are some very real drawbacks that you have to work through to get it that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the LCD Equivalent, February 26, 2013
I have both this LED model and the LCD model of the same size from ASUS. First a few words about LCD vs. LED. Both LCD and LED models actually use color LCD technology. The difference between the two is the type of backlight. An LCD model uses fluorescent lighting for the backlight of the LCD, whereas an LED model uses LEDs for the backlight(s) of the LCD. I have my two monitors side by side in a dual monitor configuration. The LED model is noticeably brighter, with whiter whites, and is easier for reading of black on white-background text (which is what I do for about 6 hours a day). When I changed to using the LED model as my primary, I was able to read for longer periods with less eyestrain. I highly recommend this LED model, and will stay with LED backlighting in my future monitor purchases.

1.0 out of 5 stars One is flickering annoyance, the other the image of perfection, March 13, 2014
I ordered two of these monitors and a desk mount so I could hook them up above my laptop monitor and have an enormous viewing area to work with. As a magazine editor, I frequently need lots of space to view layouts and multiple programs simultaneously.

One of the two monitors hasn't given me a single issue. It sits there and does its job without a problem. I'd give it 5 stars, buuuut....

The other has developed a flicker. It's irregular; some days it builds in intensity until the monitor restarts, and sometimes it goes for days without a single problem.

I've checked the wires and settings, everything is secure. I even swapped the wires with the perfectly functional monitor, and the flicker still returns.

I ordered these in December, and the return period ended in January, so now I'm stuck with it. Buyers beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor!, February 11, 2011
Matthew "mjr002" (West Covina, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
A great monitor that I almost returned because I thought it didn't work right. First after setting up, the picture looked terrible and sound was worse with some ghosting. I thought I should have gone with something else, however before giving up I switched to a different HDMI cord. The first cord was much longer and cheaper and the second was from a different company called Accell (after research they make the best cords hands down). The picture looked great and no ghosting, 100% better and the sound as well. I felt at first the speakers truly sucked but with the second cord the speakers are good. Don't get me wrong, they are not great like stand alone, but about what I was hopefully expecting from in monitor speakers. I use the monitor for three things, I hook it up to my Dish Network Cable Box, I use it for playing PS3, and also as a second computer monitor. It's a long story why I would have a need for this monitor for all three but the most important is that it works great for all three.

3.0 out of 5 stars STOP! Before buying this monitor READ THIS REVIEW!, September 15, 2011
AV "Proxy" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Like all of you, I bought this monitor based on the glowing reviews from Amazon and newegg. I have been disappointed by some problems.

EDIT!!!!: I decided to keep this monitor, despite the ghosting problem. It really is the only monitor on the market with the features (HDMI, LED) for the price point I got it for ($181 @ warehouse deals amazon). You'll have to try it out and see if the ghosting kills it. Most non-techies prolly won't care.

1) BAD GHOSTING! Horrible. Terrible. This is a REAL problem! Don't listen to the positive reviews that say it isn't! If you don't believe me, there's an entire LEGION of users on the web that has this problem. The problem has been traced to Asus's "overdrive" feature. You can go into the service menu (search for the video on youtube with this monitor's model#) and turn it off, BUT when you turn off the monitor and back on, the setting is reset. Very disappointing ;(
Here is a post on Asus's own support forum. The response from Asus has been less than stellar -_-
(Google for this problem. amazon won't allow links).

The problem is particularly noticeable when scrolling text with middle mouse button in a browser like IE/FF/Opera. The ghosting is so bad the text is unreadable.

Also, there is a "overdrive" feature that can be turned off via a special service menu, BUT when you turn the monitor off anytime, the problem returns -_-

2) Black backgrounds bleed a @*@$& of light! Tried every combination of display settings. The ones out of box are horrendous. An Amazon reviewer mentioned his specs, which was the best I could find as well.
3) Viewing angles are subpar. I realize it's not an IPS monitor, but :(

Everything else is fine. For the novice user, it's a great <200 USD monitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Above average monitor, viewing angles could be better, April 10, 2011
I bought this monitor as a budget 24" so I don't have many complaints with it. You get what you pay for. Full HD 24" 2ms. Thats pretty good. Viewing angles aren't too good, the blacks bleed light too much if you aren't looking at the screen at the same level. Overall happy with the purchase.