Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Style Name: One Monitor|Change

on January 1, 2011
I am extremely picky with my monitors. I don't see anything outperforming this monitor at this price point.

That said, it does have it's flaws...

The out of box colors on this monitor are HORRIBLE. So bad I was considering sending it back. I spent about 2 hours calibrating to get it right.

The interface controls for calibration are also quite cumbersome, which is part of the reason why it took me so long to make my adjustments.

I did, however, successfully tweak the settings and got them close enough to enjoy the use of this monitor.

There will be some variation between monitors but for anyone curious my settings are as follows...

Theater Mode

Brightness 85
Contrast 85
ASCR OFF
Sharpness 81
Saturation 39

Color Temp. Normal
Skin Tone Reddish

I hope this helps anyone struggling with a similar issue. I would recommend to anyone on a budget, truly a "bang for the buck" product. There are better monitors out there for sure, but easily 2x the price for any noticeable gains in performance.

I was able to adjust the settings to make it enjoyable.
1515 comments|250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
I bought this monitor tentatively based on some other substandard reviews. I'm glad I pulled the trigger though. This monitor is, well I think the title sums it up best, gorgeous. There were no dead pixels and the item was well packaged upon receipt. First off I must dispell the "ghosting" rumor. There is zero ghosting on my monitor. It's running on a GTX 460 1gb graphics card with a mini HDMI-HDMI connection. I have watched high definition content online, blu-ray movies, and used various applications trying my hardest to find a flaw, but to no avail. It performs seamlessly. Moreover, the colors and factory presets were spot on. Some reviewers stated they had to spend hours calibrating this monitor before it was remotely viewable. I can't understand or relate to this in any way. I was more afraid to adjust the settings at all because it was already perfect right out of the box. I've also read some reviewers stating that you need to use a DVI before you can switch to HDMI. This is also not true. I started with the HDMI and after changing the input selection to HDMI the screen loaded right up. The initial display was at an old resolution for some reason but all it took was a reboot and I was viewing full 1080p.

Moving on, the stand is secure but not the most stable. Let me explain, it's definitely not going to spontaneously fly off your desk however, if you have a desk or computer cart that moves then the monitor will wobble. Seems like more of a safety feature though because the base remains glued to the surface but the monitor jiggles a bit to absorb the motion. This is the only thing that could be considered a flaw. Other then that Asus has released 24 inches of brilliantly vivid glory. This monitor is remarkably clear while remaining very easy on the eyes. Not to mention energy efficient running at around 30 watts. Do yourself a favor and grab one, for $200 you can't do better.
44 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
As I wasn't expecting to write this review this fast, I'm slightly in shock!

Ordered this on Feb 23rd, Paid for the 3-5day Standard Shipping. Recieved this Friday 2/25. Talk about fast? Amazon tracking still shows it is "Shipping Soon". Props to the Amazon and ANTonline for fast processing/shipping/delivery. Wasn't expecting this thing until next week!

Out of box, yes the colors are horrible, Red/Blue/Green all turned up to 100%. Simply setting this to Theatre Mode fixed it, but to ever go off of a "Splendid Mode" you need to manually adjust those. I'm not going to dock stars because of Out Of Box Look, this is expected.

This monitor is awesome. I haven't noticed any Ghosting, nor have I seen any Dead Pixels. There's no White visibly shown through around the edges, and the black is Black. The image is just awesome.

I Jumped into World of Warcraft to check out the view, 10x better than my older 20" LCD. The colors just Pop out at you. It's amzing.

The ONLY 2 negative comments I can make, although I knew this by reading hundreds of reviews first, is that you HAVE to hook up to DVI/VGA and adjust the settings to HDMI to run from an HDMI cable. Doesn't take more than 30 seconds, you can leave the HDMI cable plugged in while you do it, and you can unplug the DVI/vga cable immediately and it will Auto Refresh onto the HDMI slot.

The 2nd negative is that the speakers suck. I didn't purchasse this Monitor for the system as I have a 5.1 Surround hooked up to my PC. Quite frankly I don't know anyone looking for a monitor because of the SOUND, but if you are, look elsewhere. You aren't going to get amazing sound past High pitch (Take your car stereo, turn the Bass and Mids as low as they can go, Turn the Treble all the way up, this is what you get from these speakers).
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
Sent this one back. The ghosting issues are real (Geforce 8800GT GPU) and can be improved by turning off OD mode from the special hardware menu but this resets every time the monitor is turned off or goes to sleep.

The stock Splendid display modes were all off in color and none of them looked good right out of the box. Only got a 'decent' color calibration based on someone elses settings that I googled.

The actual build and style of the monitor is superb and is very stable on my desk.

Just wasnt for me
on July 3, 2014
Worked for about a day before it started to fail. Began to flicker on day two and then finally died completely. Screen would come on for a split second and then go black.

I considered sending it back for a replacement but one of the reasons for choosing this product was for the built in speakers. The speakers sound like an RCA transistor radio from the 50's. Not at all functional. So Item was returned for a refund.
on December 2, 2015
I hate this monitor. On white pages, like this one, the flickering is really bad and nothing I've tried has fixed it. And the built in speakers are terrible. The volume is very low. I had to plug in external speakers. Plus, I used to be able to plug my previous monitor into my blu-ray player via an HDMI cable and play movies on it, but for whatever reason this one doesn't recognize that it's HD video, and it plays everything in standard definition. My previous monitor was an Acer (similar to this one in size and specs) and it was excellent, until the power button broke one day and the monitor would no longer turn on. I thought that it would be dumb to buy another Acer if the button was going to break after a year, but now I regret that decision. Unfortunately, I threw out the packaging for this monitor and am now stuck with it. Maybe I can sell it on Craigslist.
on March 5, 2015
I use this monitor on a KVM in an arrangement where I don't actually use the KVM's video connection because it's VGA. My desktop connects to this monitor on the DVI port. My laptop connects to this monitor via the HDMI using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. The monitor I replaced with this one had an extra bit of intelligence to it in that it automatically switched to the active video-input when there was only one present. That was convenient because depending on which machine I shut down last, I might power up the other one first the next time. It turned out that having the monitor automatically switch to that input during POST was convenient. The reason I gave this monitor 4 out of 5 stars is that it requires manual switching. Now if I boot up my laptop without it pre-selected to HDMI, even when it does switch, the laptop won't detect it. So while I'll keep this monitor, I'll make sure my next monitor has the auto-switching feature.

Otherwise, like others have written, the monitor arrived in flawless condition with no dead pixels. I only had to adjust the brightness downward to 50% to eliminate bleed/wash-out. And I had to add post-it notes to mark the location of the menu / input selection controls. I use dim and indirect lighting which made the symbology over the button controls impossible to read. It would also have been nice if these controls had been back-lit or illuminated like the power button.
on May 8, 2013
My plan was to replace my 7yr old 20" LCD DELL Ultra-sharp monitor. I received it last night, a day earlier than Amazon indicated. I am happy with the picture quality... ABSOLUTELY no dead pixel at all. If it were not for the following 2 minor issues, I would have given it the 5 star ratings:
1. tiny speaker (I should have known it as on Amazon site, it says 1W speaker). The sound is tiny despite having the volume turned to 100%. I shall be looking for an external speaker to complement this monitor.
2. The OSD (On Screen Display) menu is not intuitive. There is no user manual to accompany the package. I searched in vain online for it. Finally I played with the various buttons to get the settings I wanted (I ended up writing down the steps for future reference). And, once you hit the wrong feature, you have to wait for the OCD to time out before you can choose another feature. I actually turned off and on the unit, to by-pass the OSD auto-time-out. This is not a major issue as once I have configured the features I prefer, I will hardly go back to use the OSD again.

But don't let the above 2 comments discourage you. Basically this is a great monitor. For the price, I consider it a steal.
on March 14, 2016
This monitor is wonderfully sharp and clear, and the only issue I had was the out of the box settings were wacky and turned all the way up. The "monitor calibration tool" on windows 10 was not helpful until I had googled "asus VE248H settings" and some helpful people had posted their settings. Once I had tweaked the settings to their suggestion, the monitor looked beautiful. Definitely recommend for the price!
Settings page:[...]
on March 9, 2013
Let me say first, that this monitor can take a really long time to calibrate correctly. To be fair, most monitors probably look like s*** out of the box, but I've been fiddling with the settings on mine for about a week now. It took me probably 45 minutes to get it decent, and before writing this review, I saw someone posted their settings, but the lack of being able to have preset settings (which I wouldn't really expect on any monitor) makes it sort of hard to compare them.
For comparison's sake, my settings that I thought were good are:
game mode
brightness 90
contrast 80
saturation 60
ascr off
Smart view OFF

That's my biggest piece of advice. KEEP SMARTVIEW OFF. It washes out all your colors. I couldn't understand what it was at first, but then I realized what it could be, and google a pure black picture. with smartview on, it was a greyish brown color, not like black at all. Upon turning that off, even with bad settings for everything else, it was black black. That makes a world of difference and I wouldnt even start calibrating it until that's off.

Another sort of annoying thing is that if have smooth scrolling on in something like firefox and chrome, and you don't have good settings, you'll see text ghosting when you scroll, and it can be fairly distracting. Though from what I've read, that happens on a lot of bigger monitors.

That all being said, the monitor is very nice. It's gigantic, bright, great, the menu buttons on most monitors are bad, but if you put your 4 fingers on facing upwards on the menu buttons its easy to get used to as a system to change the settings, the base is nice and stable (mine shakes a bit when I type but I know for a fact that that's because my desk is wobbly), overall a very good purchase.

I don't mean to scare anyone away with the above criticisms. The monitor is great, but there are some very real drawbacks that you have to work through to get it that way.