COLD VENGENCE newest Special Agent Pendergast by Preston and Child

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2011 12:43:07 PM PDT
Normally I would pre-order this then wait anxiously for it to arrive. However, since I did that with the awful GIDEON'S SWORD, I think I'll wait this time for a few dozen reviews.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 10:19:34 PM PDT
I totally share your hesitation, BUUUUT, this is PENDERGAST we'r talking about here!.. AND i've been waiting years lol... good or bad, i think i will pre-order :)

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 8:01:18 PM PDT
I know, I know. Just listened to STILL LIFE WITH CROWS at work and the guy that reads it is awesome. Pendergast is so great. In the next one we should be looking at more revenge for the death of his wife by his brother in law. Still, they really "singed my fingers" with that last monstronsity (Gideon's Sword) which I gave away. Lemme know what you think of the new Pendergast. Truly, I am going to wait even if it is my favorite book character.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 2:31:20 PM PDT
I have went ahead and preorded on Kindle. It is Pendergast so hopefully good. Still have not read Gideon's Sword on my Kindle. Sure wish I had read reviews before even buying it. And apparently a second book in that series on its way soon.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 4:47:50 PM PDT
Jeff: good luck on Gideon's Sword as I truly did not like it. But then, I'm not a Clive Custler fan either. It is just a matter of taste.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 1:46:01 AM PDT
L. Johnson says:
Gideon's Sword wasn't poorly written, but it was a fairly radical departure from their usual fare. I am not a fan of spy novels, and so was nonplussed to find myself reading one, particularly since the character development seemed... simplistic, coming from Messrs. Preston and Child. However, I see no reason why their exploring a new style with a new character should affect the nature of the well-established Pendergast series. My only significant concern is how quickly they seem to be pumping out books at the moment, it does induce worry about quality control.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:09:03 PM PDT
I agree. As you say, one book character shouldn't affect another, but it is such a radical departure from the well-written Pendergast series that it just took me aback. It won't hurt me to wait a few days to get the lastest and I will feel better for doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 2:47:50 PM PDT
I, too was disappointed in Gideon's sword. I loved all the Pendergast novels and everything else Preston and Child have written, duo or solo. However, I think that I will also wait for the reviews or perhaps check it out of the library. I'm with you, L. Johnson. Is there a lack of quality control? Time will tell!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:17:53 AM PDT
Since I loved fever Dream, I'm sure I'll like this one. I have the feeling that dear Vincent won't be joining Pendegast though. We still have to find out what the story is with his ward. hmmm.......

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 7:35:32 AM PDT
True, they did leave us completely hanging on his ward and the baby, which I'm sure she didn't kill. Honestly, that isn't the first time they've done that and I wish they wouldn't. It isn't like I won't buy the next book if it's halfway decent. Many times I see great reviews on something then someone pops up and claims it's the publishers doing the reviews. I don't know if that is true or not, but I have gotten books that were awful and wondered how the heck they got a good review. Any ideas on this one?

Have any of you listened to the audio books? I just did STILL LIFE WITH CROWS and the narrator on that is wonderful. Sounds just like Pendergast ought to, plus it's one of my favorites.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 4:36:36 AM PDT
I'm a fan of this two authors and read all their books but Gideon's Sword didn't get my attention so this is the only one i didnt read from them so far and I'm happy i didnt because the reviews have not been to flattering. However when is a Pendergast book i'm sold good or may be bad but i doubt it been bad or boring.. normally Pendergast is a very interesting character.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 4:36:37 AM PDT
I'm a fan of this two authors and read all their books but Gideon's Sword didn't get my attention so this is the only one i didnt read from them so far and I'm happy i didnt because the reviews have not been to flattering. However when is a Pendergast book i'm sold good or may be bad but i doubt it been bad or boring.. normally Pendergast is a very interesting character.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 11:54:39 AM PDT
Kathy says:
Dare I ask...am I the only one who liked it better when we didn't know all that much about Pendergast? And the crimes he was solving had nothing to do with him?

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 12:24:33 PM PDT
I don't mind because we still don't know what makes him tick. I also like peoples reactions to him & his strange ways.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 2:47:24 PM PDT
I liked his strange Aunt Cordelia and the fact madness does run in the family. It's just another interesting item in the Pendergast history. He is such a fascinating character I don't mind the histories. We get snippets here and there, seldom a complete story, and that's ok too. On the other hand, I really don't like cliff-hangers and this isn't the first time they've done that to us. He's stuck his ward in a mental institution without really even talking with her or figuring out what has happened to his nephew. I thought that a little odd, even for him. My worst fears for the new book is a) it's a dismal repeat of Gideon's Sword or b)they just string us along some more without clearing up Connie or the murderer of his wife.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 2:47:54 PM PDT
Kathy says:
Besides...thought the nephew was the reincarnation of the head holy man back at the temple in Tibet and it was understood that the kid would stay there after he was born (and Constance staying to raise him)?

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 5:30:34 PM PDT
Kathy: That's the take I had on the situation and couldn't figure out why she had the boy with her on the boat to start with, much less why they let him leave.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 2:11:41 PM PDT
Kathy says:
Freaking cliffhangers!!!!!!

This has got to stop. Someone's trying to turn Pendergast into Harry Potter here - with a story "arc" with a villain who won't be vanquished until a good number of books are sold down the line. But we don't have "A" villain here and at least the Potter novels told a self-contained story within each book. You didn't have to wait until the next book to find out if Dumbledore was dead or not.

And it's bad enough that this is a long running character who suddenly doesn't go back to his history for genuine help (I still don't understand why when Pendergast was meeting Diogenes in bowels of NYC in "Book of the Dead" he didn't call on his Underground contacts from "Reliquary" to help out...and the same thing here in the end).

Next book I'm looking at the end page and if I get the feeling the ending is another cliffhanger, I'm passing on the first Pendergast novel ever.

That being said, Rene Auberjonois does another wonderful job with a rather lackluster book with few surprises. Wait for the paperback this coming January they're already taking pre-orders here.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 5:17:23 PM PDT
Well, I'm reading it right now Kathy - and I fear the worst. Yeah, yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to but I caved. I'm not going to do any spoilers here but so far I'm interested but cautious. I'm trying NOT to read the last page because if it's yet another cliff hanger I may just start throwing the freakin' book against the nearest wall.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 3:38:28 AM PDT
S B Dupre--I am curious. Did you throw the book, or are you waiting for the next one in great frustration?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 6:02:43 AM PDT
First off I'm going to scream SPOILER ALERT for everyone who hasn't read the book. I did finish it and quite honestly did not like it nearly as much as some of the others, (ATTENTION: MAJOR BOOK SPOILER ALERT -DO NOT CONTINUE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THE ENDING!) There was a god-awful triple cliffhanger at the ending (I kid you not) and I'd say "great frustration" is a good way to put it, even though throwing it against the nearest wall would have been darn near theraputic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 2:49:03 PM PDT
Kathy says:
I know...all of these "loose threads" are as annoying as hell.

Also found it semi-frustrating in that we got a little bit of the old Pendergast in his going into his trance and the little talk with the dead brother only to lose it again.

I miss when these books were about cases that appeared to be supernaturally based (monsters, immortal serial killers, demons incinerating guys in locked rooms) that are later scientifically explained. I think we lost that as of "Cemetery Dance".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 9:05:37 AM PDT
SB says:
I am totally put out with Preston/Child. I have been a fan from the beginning, but like you Gideon's Sword totally put me off. I felt ripped off! I think they got arrogant, really they should be offering readers free new novels to revitalize the trust of their fans. There are to many great books out there for them to throw away the opinions of their followers. Funny thing is Amazon will not print negative reviews of this new book! So now I am going to leave Amazon whom I have been with for years!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 6:16:28 AM PDT
I don't know about not printing negative reviews, SB, as mine is there. I think after years of 5 stars the little 3 star review might stand out. Oddly enough, I was disappointed in both my favorite series lately: Pendergast and Lucas Davenport (the latest book wasnt' that great and the mistakes! Oh my!) Maybe they're all getting too comfortable in the writer roles. You are right though - there really are a lot of great books out there by "young" writers, Rob Thurman, for example. I did buy the latest Preston/Child and John Sandford but nothing is forcing me to continue. We've got Thurman, Correia, and a hundred others just waiting for the chance to be a best seller. Maybe, instead of investing in more disappointments I should start giving those others their chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 3:34:20 PM PDT
L. Jenkins says:
I was so surprised to have you mention Larry Correia on a Preston/Child thread. It's nice to see other people who have widely diverse tastes in fiction. I still smile every now and then about the "gangsta gnomes" from Correia's second Monster Hunter book.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cold Vengeance (Special Agent Pendergast)
Cold Vengeance (Special Agent Pendergast) by Lincoln Child (Hardcover - August 2, 2011)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (490)