Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Asus VG248QE 24-Inch LED-Lit Monitor
Price:$239.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 27, 2013
I bought this monitor off Newegg, I'm just going to past my review here from there. [...]

Pros: This monitor is a godsend for people who hate screen tearing, but also hate vsync. Being able to play up to 144fps with neither one is utterly fantastic. The 1ms response time and (roughly) 7ms latency (basing that number off a review of the older brother to this monitor, the VG278HE) means you are getting one of the fastest and most responsive monitors on the market.

If you search around on a few forums you can find talk of a "hack" to the nvidia lightboost that this monitor supports. Normally lightboost is for 3D, but when playing in 2D you can "hack" it to enable the strobing backlight, which ends up eliminating almost every bit of motion blur and other such flaws of your typical LCD. I haven't tried it myself as I do not use an nvidia card, but people who have used it all rave about it being "like a CRT!" I can tell you that this monitor is more than worthy of gaming without the hack, but it's something to consider.

Cons: As to be expected of a TN panel, the colors are a bit lacking. I've seen far worse, but if you've used an IPS panel then you've also seen better. After hardware calibration (monitor menu settings) it is plenty suitable for games, and after software calibration (via device like a Spyder4 or similar) then it would be suitable for non-professional color work on images and video. It has a bit of banding towards the darker shades of black, but it's not a huge deal. Dropping an egg for it though.

If you are like me, and currently can only afford to calibrate via the monitor settings and not a Spyder4, I'll save you some time and tell you how I have calibrated mine using a variety of free calibration tools on the internet:

First, make sure you are using "Standard" mode. DO NOT use any of the other modes unless you really need access to any of the locked-out settings (you shouldn't). "Night View Mode" in particular is VERY BAD and will destroy your black levels completely.

Brightness: 55 (feel free to adjust this one up or down based on preference)
Contrast: 88
Color Temp.: User Mode - Red 90/Green 90/Blue 90 (this monitor is wonderfully neutral, I was surprised)
Smart View: Off
TraceFree: 60 (40 is also good, and might be more desirable for non-gaming instances of motion on-screen)

Other Thoughts: I had previously purchased the VG278HE, but it had a really unfortunate problem with the pixel inversion pattern. Specifically, any time there was fast motion on the screen, these vertical, black, interweaving lines would appear on the screen, and from a subjective point of view it would feel almost as if your resolution had been cut in half. Sill images were unaffected.

I returned that monitor after I had discovered the newly released VG248QE, which was much cheaper due to the smaller size and does not suffer the same pixel inversion pattern issue as the older brother. To be fair, I can still see the inversion pattern on this monitor if I am a few inches away and trying hard to see it, but when viewed from a normal usage distance you can not see it at all. Every monitor has this pixel inversion pattern, some are just more prone to it being visible than others.

1080p is more fitting of this 24 inch panel anyway, 27 inches starts to beg for 1440p at least.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2013
I won't make a huge review. It's a great "gaming" monitor. If you want an outstanding picture stick to an IPS monitor. This one is designed for response time. You can tweak the colors and get it close to a regular monitor, but the colors will always seem a little washed out. The 144hz is for the DISPLAY PORT and DVI ONLY. The HDMI port is only HDMI 1.4 and cannot handle 1080p over 60hz. I tried with an HDMI 1.4b 4K stream box. The HDMI port will not go over 60hz, as it is not fast enough. You are not dead in the water though. IF, you have an HDMI device that needs more banwidth you can buy a DVI-D to HDMI 1.4b adapter. This worked for what I needed. I made sure the cable and adapter with both 1.4b and it worked at 120hz. I just bought a DVI-D to Display Port adapter for my PC, and it runs at 144hz fine.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2014
Thoughts on VG248QE

Pros:
* 144 Hz refresh rate allows the monitor to display up to 144 frames per second. The difference between 60 and 120+ fps is obvious, do not listen to those who say otherwise... they are the same people who parrot the myth that the "human eye can't see more than 30 fps". Nonsense.
* Tearing is less noticeable at higher refresh rates.
* Less stutter when vsync is on, and more discrete frame levels when using double buffered vsync.
* Lightboost compatible, which nearly eliminates all motion blur caused by eye-tracking persistence (which is the main cause of LCD blur, not 'response time'). However, color is negatively affected when enabled.
* Gsync compatible.
* < 2 ms of measured input lag.

Cons
* At 60 Hz, the color balance is nearly perfect. However, the gamma shifts as you change the refresh rate, instead of staying constant.
* At 144 Hz the color is a bit washed out. This makes it a pain to calibrate as there is no direct gamma control from the monitor menu, besides changing splendid presets. You can get a decent image but it takes a bit of tweaking. ICC calibration profiles are available, but some games may bypass them. You can also use drivers to adjust colors if needed. If they could maintain the 60 Hz color balance at 144 Hz, it would have been perfect.

Comparisons to BenQ XL2420TE:

This monitor can easily be found for ~$260. The BenQ standard price is $279.99, but is almost always inflated to $400+ and often unavailable. Both monitors use the exact same display panel, so as you'd expect, the colors are practically identical after tweaking (my housemate has the BenQ).

The main difference is that the BenQ does not use PWM for brightness control, some people have issues with it so that is their only option for a high refresh rate monitor. That said, the vast majority of monitors use PWM, only in recent years have people begun talking about it. As a point of reference, newer VG248QE's at the 144 Hz setting have a PWM flicker frequency of 864 Hz, whereas the BenQ 120 Hz+ monitors that use PWM (all of them besides XL2411T Rev2 and XL2420TE) have a PWM frequency of 180 Hz.

Of course, if you plan on using any of the new blur reducing technologies such as the 2D Lightboost hack, Gsync ULMB, and soon BenQ's Motion Blur Reduction, whether a monitor is PWM-free or not should not matter much to you as all of them achieve near-complete elimination of motion blur via backlight strobing, essentially a modified usage of PWM. This model is also upgradable with Gsync, though at the time of writing there would likely be no reason to buy the DIY kit instead of purchasing a monitor with it built-in already. A VG248QE with the Gsync module installed becomes PWM-free when not using ULMB.

It also has less ghosting and inverse ghosting caused by response time compensation than the BenQ, according to pcmonitors.info.

As for the companies themselves, Asus is a much larger brand than BenQ, and this monitor is much more available and can be found at B&M stores easily. I am more confident with Asus' service. BenQ's website states that they do not honor warranties of products purchased from unauthorized dealers, and Amazon (and Newegg) are not even on their list of authorized resellers, which is an obvious mistake (right?). If they can't keep their website up to date, I don't have much faith in their customer service.

Finally, both have useless gimmicks. The Asus has crosshair and timer OSDs and the BenQ has an external menu selecting device ("S Switch").

So unless PWM is a real issue for you, I would recommend the Asus. If you do go for the BenQ, try and wait until you can get it for $279.99. When Amazon gets a new shipment, they sell it at that price and it usually lasts a few days before going out of stock and going back up to $350-450.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2014
Bought this display as a replacement for my failed playstation 3D display. Was going around different review sites for the best gaming display. There a tough decision whether to go for the Asus VG248QE or BENQ XL2420T. To my surprise there was a sale at amazon and the actual price of the VG248QE were slashed down and due to the reliability and quality and service Asus has went for it. Once hooked to my PS4 no doubt the display is crystal clear and very sharp. Tried different games like tomb raider, advance warfare and right now the far cry 4 to say frankly zero flickering, no lags and the response of the monitor is super awesome. I know the 144Hz will benefit the PC games. I would recommend this monitor for a console gamer too try this display guys you won't go wrong.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2013
Purchased this from B&HPhotoVideo store at $265 shipped, installed a few days ago and 144Hz works flawlessly with my 670 SLI! haven't tested most demanding games, but now surely I can finally turn off Vsync (even adaptive) completely in some games to eliminate any kind of lag (adaptive vsync) or tearing (e.g. vsync off on 60hz monitor).

I love the stand, it's very stable and allows for all direction adjustments, similar to my former most favorite Dell Ultrasharp kind. Speaking of which, I was a bit disappointing with color resemblance on this LCD, but quickly learned (google) there is a better custom ICC profile designed specifically for either AMD or Nvidia cards and this monitor (thanks to PCmonitors.info), once loaded it took only minor adjustments (Standard display mode, brightness 25, contrast 75, Red 100, Green 90, Blue 89) and voila! it displays beautiful colors just like my old Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP once did :)

so happy with this screen! The best monitor for gamers, especially at promo pricing!

You might want to use those adjusted ICC color profiles with it (after PCMonitors.info), scroll down half way down the page to find links and instructions:
http :// pcmonitors (dot) info/reviews/asus-vg248qe
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2015
Pros:I love this monitor. It helps a lot in twitch shooters.But when you calibrate it,it's good.Has DVI,DisplayPort and HDMI and microphone input, And a speaker output. The pivot is a great feature, and the build quality is 4/5 Heavy and solid. It's awesome for games like CS:GO. Cons: -It's definitely NOT for photo-editing -.The colors are BAD out of the box.

Notes: You should NOT buy this for console gaming. you CAN'T get 144Hz on a console. ONLY get it if you own a PC that can get 100+FPS.You need a GPU with a DisplayPort or a DVI to get 144HZ. Don't forget to enable 144Hz in Windows (or your OS)
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2015
Such an awesome monitor after you change the color profile.

I used a thread I found on Reddit, and this monitor looks GREAT now.

review image
on July 11, 2014
For all you gamers that spent mega bucks building your dream gaming machine only to be let down by a 60 hz monitor, like me. This monitor is the cure. I am so freaking happy with this purchase. It is what I dreamed of when I spent a grand building my gaming machine. I got vsync on and my monitor running 144 hz and it is so smooth and not only that its so freaking pretty....lol. By the way, I'm the type of person that never writes reviews, only looks at them, but with this I feel I owe my fellow gamers I review.....BUY IT---------This is what PC gaming was meant to be.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2014
Pros: Monitor is large yet compact and will not take up a lot of space on a desk. The ability to raise and lower the screen vertically with just a push makes going from low/eye level when typing to fully elevated for watching movies farther away really convenient. The very bottom of the monitor is 2'' from the desk when it's fully lowered and 6 7/8'' from the desk when fully raised (just some info I wish knew when buying). Although I likely won't use it that often, I also like the option to swivel the monitor into a vertical orientation. Lastly, the 144 Hz refresh rate is extremely noticeable especially if you're coming from an old 60 Hz monitor. Mouse movement, window dragging & video games are so much smoother and fluid. Others may disagree but I found the viewing angles for the monitor to be very forgiving. Granted, if you try and look from a 45 degree angle you'll see some yellowing/bluing and darkening but that is expected of a TN panel.

Cons: The monitor will ONLY work in 144 Hz mode when using the DVI or DP ports and a resolution of 1920x1080. I bought an HDMI cable assuming it would support 144 Hz but its capped at 60 Hz. Maybe that's just my lack of understanding technical information about HDMI and DVI/DP so I can let it slide, I just wish it was stated. Out of box, in all the default 'Splendid' viewing modes the colors were very washed out and each mode was VERY bright. After a bit of research, this appears to be a common problem with the monitor. The solution is to download custom "ICC profiles". A simple search of the monitor model number and ICC profiles leads you to multiple tutorials on how to load these profiles. After the profiles are applied the difference is obvious; the colors, contrast, brightness etc. are all improved dramatically. I only wish ASUS put a little more work into the default settings so I wouldn't have to adjust anything.

Summary: Overall, the monitor is the perfect size for sitting up close but also big enough to watch movies from afar. There were no defects, scratches, or dead pixels (so far) out of the box. The screen is very bright and clear, but you'll likely have to download an ICC profile or tweak the settings to get the picture/colors that are best for you. Be sure you have a dual-link DVI supported video card before purchasing because the 144 Hz can only be unlocked using DVI/DP. For a $277 monitor with 144 Hz capabilities and decent-good picture quality (after adjustment) it's a solid buy.
on July 1, 2013
Before I bought this I was playing on a 24 in Samsung 1080p 60hz monitor 2ms response time. My buddy was telling me about this new Asus144hz monitor. I wasn't sure if I could even tell the difference between the two. Once I got the Asus monitor and played a few games on Battlefield 3 I could immediately tell the difference. The fluidity of this monitor is amazingly unbelievable. I don't know how I played on 60hz for such a long time. This is a must have for gamers