4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Games
I bought this monitor off Newegg, I'm just going to past my review here from there. [...]

Published 19 months ago by Orange Crusader

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven back lighting ruins a perfect gaming monitor
This monitor is perfect for fast paced FPS. The response is absolutely unbelievable. The only reason it's not getting 5 stars is because the spacing of the back lights is absolutely awful. I can't play any dark games on it at all because it is so distracting. If this issue was fixed, I'd say it was the best monitor I've ever owned.
Published 6 months ago by Blake

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Games, February 27, 2013
This review is from: ASUS VG248QE 24-inch LED-lit Monitor 144Hz refresh rate 1ms pixel response time & 3D capable (Personal Computers)

Pros: This monitor is a godsend for people who hate screen tearing, but also hate vsync. Being able to play up to 144fps with neither one is utterly fantastic. The 1ms response time and (roughly) 7ms latency (basing that number off a review of the older brother to this monitor, the VG278HE) means you are getting one of the fastest and most responsive monitors on the market.

If you search around on a few forums you can find talk of a "hack" to the nvidia lightboost that this monitor supports. Normally lightboost is for 3D, but when playing in 2D you can "hack" it to enable the strobing backlight, which ends up eliminating almost every bit of motion blur and other such flaws of your typical LCD. I haven't tried it myself as I do not use an nvidia card, but people who have used it all rave about it being "like a CRT!" I can tell you that this monitor is more than worthy of gaming without the hack, but it's something to consider.

Cons: As to be expected of a TN panel, the colors are a bit lacking. I've seen far worse, but if you've used an IPS panel then you've also seen better. After hardware calibration (monitor menu settings) it is plenty suitable for games, and after software calibration (via device like a Spyder4 or similar) then it would be suitable for non-professional color work on images and video. It has a bit of banding towards the darker shades of black, but it's not a huge deal. Dropping an egg for it though.

If you are like me, and currently can only afford to calibrate via the monitor settings and not a Spyder4, I'll save you some time and tell you how I have calibrated mine using a variety of free calibration tools on the internet:

First, make sure you are using "Standard" mode. DO NOT use any of the other modes unless you really need access to any of the locked-out settings (you shouldn't). "Night View Mode" in particular is VERY BAD and will destroy your black levels completely.

Brightness: 55 (feel free to adjust this one up or down based on preference)
Contrast: 88
Color Temp.: User Mode - Red 90/Green 90/Blue 90 (this monitor is wonderfully neutral, I was surprised)
Smart View: Off
TraceFree: 60 (40 is also good, and might be more desirable for non-gaming instances of motion on-screen)

Other Thoughts: I had previously purchased the VG278HE, but it had a really unfortunate problem with the pixel inversion pattern. Specifically, any time there was fast motion on the screen, these vertical, black, interweaving lines would appear on the screen, and from a subjective point of view it would feel almost as if your resolution had been cut in half. Sill images were unaffected.

I returned that monitor after I had discovered the newly released VG248QE, which was much cheaper due to the smaller size and does not suffer the same pixel inversion pattern issue as the older brother. To be fair, I can still see the inversion pattern on this monitor if I am a few inches away and trying hard to see it, but when viewed from a normal usage distance you can not see it at all. Every monitor has this pixel inversion pattern, some are just more prone to it being visible than others.

1080p is more fitting of this 24 inch panel anyway, 27 inches starts to beg for 1440p at least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor NOTE HDMI is only 60hz 1.4 NOT 1.4b., July 18, 2013
Dan G (TX United States) - See all my reviews
I won't make a huge review. It's a great "gaming" monitor. If you want an outstanding picture stick to an IPS monitor. This one is designed for response time. You can tweak the colors and get it close to a regular monitor, but the colors will always seem a little washed out. The 144hz is for the DISPLAY PORT and DVI ONLY. The HDMI port is only HDMI 1.4 and cannot handle 1080p over 60hz. I tried with an HDMI 1.4b 4K stream box. The HDMI port will not go over 60hz, as it is not fast enough. You are not dead in the water though. IF, you have an HDMI device that needs more banwidth you can buy a DVI-D to HDMI 1.4b adapter. This worked for what I needed. I made sure the cable and adapter with both 1.4b and it worked at 120hz. I just bought a DVI-D to Display Port adapter for my PC, and it runs at 144hz fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightboost has changed my gaming experience., February 17, 2013
First and foremost let me just start by saying I am not going to judge this monitor on its subpar color reproduction and lack of color depth since it is only a TN panel and it is only to be expected if compared to a panel more suited to produce accurate colors, such as an IPS panel. So, let's all get realistic here and accept the fact that with LCDs you have to either sacrifice image quality for smooth motion or vice versa.

Second if you're a believer that anything over 30FPS isn't going to make a difference because somewhere along the road you heard that humans can only see up to 30fps. While there is some truth in there, it has highly been skewed. The reality is that the human mind only needs 12-24 frames displayed per second to be tricked into thinking that it is seeing motion, so think of this more as a minimum requirement, not a maximum. The eye is constantly taking in new visual information far quicker than 30 fps. Remember we are humans not cameras, so we are not limited to a mechanical shutter speed. By increasing the amount of frames that your monitor can display you are also increasing the rate at which you will be able to react since the information in your mind is being refreshed twice as quickly as a person with a 60hz monitor.

Finally Lightboost pushes the high frame rate to the next level by strobbing the backlight on and off between frame switches. A crude way to demonstrate this is by looking at a spinning fan. If you simply stare at the fan blades you're only going to see a blurry, translucent circle. However, if you begin to blink quickly while looking at the fan blades then you'll notice that you're able to see a clear image of the fan blades between every blink rather than the blurry circle that you observed with your eyes open the whole time. However, on a monitor there is also the refresh rate which lends to blurring as it will have a slight ghost image which remains as the image is refreshing. Even with the quick 1ms refresh rate you'll still notice some ghosting, though with Lightboost the backlight is off for most of the duration that the image is transitioning until it has mostly refreshed the panel with the next frame by-passing most of the ghosting all together.

I personally wasn't a huge believer of higher frame rate monitors until my 60hz monitors really started to bug me and strain my eyes during longer gaming sessions. I made the decision to switch my primary monitor from an IPS back to a TN just for the benefit of a smoother picture and I'd say it is worth it. My FPS gaming experience has greatly improved and aiming has become so much easier. I totally believe in the advantages of higher frame rate, reduced blur, and minimal input lag. I am not in love with the image quality, but the motion smoothness can not be beat so I'll keep this until I can get an IPS that produces motion this nicely!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gaming LCD I've seen!, March 20, 2013
Purchased this from B&HPhotoVideo store at $265 shipped, installed a few days ago and 144Hz works flawlessly with my 670 SLI! haven't tested most demanding games, but now surely I can finally turn off Vsync (even adaptive) completely in some games to eliminate any kind of lag (adaptive vsync) or tearing (e.g. vsync off on 60hz monitor).

I love the stand, it's very stable and allows for all direction adjustments, similar to my former most favorite Dell Ultrasharp kind. Speaking of which, I was a bit disappointing with color resemblance on this LCD, but quickly learned (google) there is a better custom ICC profile designed specifically for either AMD or Nvidia cards and this monitor (thanks to PCmonitors.info), once loaded it took only minor adjustments (Standard display mode, brightness 25, contrast 75, Red 100, Green 90, Blue 89) and voila! it displays beautiful colors just like my old Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP once did :)

so happy with this screen! The best monitor for gamers, especially at promo pricing!

You might want to use those adjusted ICC color profiles with it (after PCMonitors.info), scroll down half way down the page to find links and instructions:
http :// pcmonitors (dot) info/reviews/asus-vg248qe

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor., November 2, 2013
Had this for a while now. This is the best monitor I have ever owned.

The stand is excellent quality, easy to move and rotate, with a wide range of motion.

The screen is almost TOO bright. I had to turn it down quite a bit. Some other reviewers are complaining about colors out of the box, and I dont get it. It only needs minor adjustment. Although you can find custom profiles online that people have created. No dead pixels, no quality issues at all. Although I would have preferred a gloss screen, but thats just me.

This is my first 120Hz+ monitor as I have always games on 60Hz. WOW, there is such an incredible difference in fluid motion and smoothness at each step above 60Hz. Even now when I use 1400p, 1600p, and 4K displays at my work, I would prefer the smooth motion that I get from this display at home.

I can play most games at 144Hz/144FPS easily. Like CS:GO, Dota2, TF2, etc.
Other games I simply drop the refresh rate to 120, 100, 60, or whatever it may be to run in sync at max graphics.

Although last night I installed a 2nd 670 in SLI and can now pretty much run all games at Ultra @ 120Hz/120FPS.

Buy this monitor, it will truly change your gaming experience. All of my friends who have come over and seen it, now own it. Can't recommend it enough. It is also the only monitor that was announced with Nvidias new G-Sync tech.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review and comparison to BenQ XL2420TE, January 31, 2014
Thoughts on VG248QE

Pros:
* 144 Hz refresh rate allows the monitor to display up to 144 frames per second. The difference between 60 and 120+ fps is obvious, do not listen to those who say otherwise... they are the same people who parrot the myth that the "human eye can't see more than 30 fps". Nonsense.
* Tearing is less noticeable at higher refresh rates.
* Less stutter when vsync is on, and more discrete frame levels when using double buffered vsync.
* Lightboost compatible, which nearly eliminates all motion blur caused by eye-tracking persistence (which is the main cause of LCD blur, not 'response time'). However, color is negatively affected when enabled.
* Gsync compatible.
* < 2 ms of measured input lag.

Cons
* At 60 Hz, the color balance is nearly perfect. However, the gamma shifts as you change the refresh rate, instead of staying constant.
* At 144 Hz the color is a bit washed out. This makes it a pain to calibrate as there is no direct gamma control from the monitor menu, besides changing splendid presets. You can get a decent image but it takes a bit of tweaking. ICC calibration profiles are available, but some games may bypass them. You can also use drivers to adjust colors if needed. If they could maintain the 60 Hz color balance at 144 Hz, it would have been perfect.

Comparisons to BenQ XL2420TE:

This monitor can easily be found for ~$260. The BenQ standard price is $279.99, but is almost always inflated to $400+ and often unavailable. Both monitors use the exact same display panel, so as you'd expect, the colors are practically identical after tweaking (my housemate has the BenQ).

The main difference is that the BenQ does not use PWM for brightness control, some people have issues with it so that is their only option for a high refresh rate monitor. That said, the vast majority of monitors use PWM, only in recent years have people begun talking about it. As a point of reference, newer VG248QE's at the 144 Hz setting have a PWM flicker frequency of 864 Hz, whereas the BenQ 120 Hz+ monitors that use PWM (all of them besides XL2411T Rev2 and XL2420TE) have a PWM frequency of 180 Hz.

Of course, if you plan on using any of the new blur reducing technologies such as the 2D Lightboost hack, Gsync ULMB, and soon BenQ's Motion Blur Reduction, whether a monitor is PWM-free or not should not matter much to you as all of them achieve near-complete elimination of motion blur via backlight strobing, essentially a modified usage of PWM. This model is also upgradable with Gsync, though at the time of writing there would likely be no reason to buy the DIY kit instead of purchasing a monitor with it built-in already. A VG248QE with the Gsync module installed becomes PWM-free when not using ULMB.

It also has less ghosting and inverse ghosting caused by response time compensation than the BenQ, according to pcmonitors.info.

As for the companies themselves, Asus is a much larger brand than BenQ, and this monitor is much more available and can be found at B&M stores easily. I am more confident with Asus' service. BenQ's website states that they do not honor warranties of products purchased from unauthorized dealers, and Amazon (and Newegg) are not even on their list of authorized resellers, which is an obvious mistake (right?). If they can't keep their website up to date, I don't have much faith in their customer service.

Finally, both have useless gimmicks. The Asus has crosshair and timer OSDs and the BenQ has an external menu selecting device ("S Switch").

So unless PWM is a real issue for you, I would recommend the Asus. If you do go for the BenQ, try and wait until you can get it for $279.99. When Amazon gets a new shipment, they sell it at that price and it usually lasts a few days before going out of stock and going back up to $350-450.

5.0 out of 5 stars PC Gamers Dream Come True, July 11, 2014
For all you gamers that spent mega bucks building your dream gaming machine only to be let down by a 60 hz monitor, like me. This monitor is the cure. I am so freaking happy with this purchase. It is what I dreamed of when I spent a grand building my gaming machine. I got vsync on and my monitor running 144 hz and it is so smooth and not only that its so freaking pretty....lol. By the way, I'm the type of person that never writes reviews, only looks at them, but with this I feel I owe my fellow gamers I review.....BUY IT---------This is what PC gaming was meant to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor for price and gaming, June 12, 2013
I bought this monitor so I could play some of the newest games out on the market. So far the game I have been playing this this monitor is Counter Strike Global Offensive. I've been a long time CS player and since I purchased this monitor, I've been using a 6+ year old Samsung 19" LCD. WOW what a difference this monitor makes. At 144 refresh rate, I can play games much longer without any irritation with my eyes or headaches from long hours of play. The monitor is very bright and has a lot of adjustments. The only thing I notice was the color is a little off but you can correct that easily with the monitor menu. It's not that big of a deal really, unless you are editing video or images. Definitely not worthing taking away a star due to the fact I will only be using this monitor and the computer I have it hooked up to for gaming. Just read the other reviews here, you will not be let down. Thanks Asus for building such a great product, and as always, Amazon has the best price.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are on the edge and wondering if you should buy this monitor then I am here to tell you hell yes you should., July 1, 2013
Before I bought this I was playing on a 24 in Samsung 1080p 60hz monitor 2ms response time. My buddy was telling me about this new Asus144hz monitor. I wasn't sure if I could even tell the difference between the two. Once I got the Asus monitor and played a few games on Battlefield 3 I could immediately tell the difference. The fluidity of this monitor is amazingly unbelievable. I don't know how I played on 60hz for such a long time. This is a must have for gamers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value fast panel and good color, March 8, 2013
Stand is great, anti reflection coating is great, rotation and swivel is excellent as well. Connections on back are all high quality too. Menu supports a gaming reticule (4 to choose from) you can enable, neat feature. I made few adjustments to color and brightness, but overall was pleased with the settings out of the box.

I considered getting the 27" but for the price went for the 24" and could not be more pleased. For the price this is a great panel for gaming and CAD work, not so much for serious photoshop due to the color but I am fine with that. There is some banding with high color content and may affect your impression on the panel’s performance, this is not an issue for me as I am gaming and do not need the color accuracy as some may need. I had a 30" Dell High Color panel and the color was amazing, but it was close to 16ms response time and was a hog on the graphics card (2460 x 1600@60hz). 60hz on any panel regardless of color and size is not as immersive as a 120 or 144hz panel. I had tried a 23” 120hz panel when they first came out and liked the speed but was not overly impressed with the ghosting and ended up returning it.

The 24” 144hz panel does not exhibit any ghosting or blur at all, you can read text clearly as it is dragged across the screen, not to mention the amount of detail you can obtain during a full blown shootout in a game. If your graphics card can handle the speed, your eyes will thank you for the upgrade. I have not tried any 3D content on this panel and this was not the reason I bought the panel, I bought it strictly for the 144hz feature, this requires a dual link DVI port on your video card and most new cards support this interface now. If you do gaming or CAD and want a LCD panel that launches your experience into the future of this technology; for the price this panel is a great choice.

Rate and Discover Movies