5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor
Published on September 22, 2012 by Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars Great display, awful setup and accessories.
Published 3 months ago by Reid DeProspo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, September 22, 2012
Michael (Gardner, KS, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS VG278HE 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor 144hz 2ms (Personal Computers)
I picked up this monitor a few weeks ago to replace a 60hz Asus 27" monitor that I had. I have eyes that are pretty sensitive and after viewing anything for a few hours on my other monitor I could get a headache fairly easily. I used to never get a headache with my old 160hz CRT. When I heard Asus was going to take their 3D monitor, drop the 3D stuff that came with it and produce a 144hz version of their 120hz 3D monitor I was pretty pumped. And then when I looked up the input lag time (very important to gamers...and don't confuse it with the advertise grey2grey time (which is 2ms for this monitor) and the input lag for it is 3.6ms @ 144hz and 7.9ms @ 60hz (some games, especially on console are locked to that). That's amazing...especially for a high quality 27" monitor (my old asus was almost 20ms). Needless to say my headaches have now gone away and my reaction time is slightly faster since my input lag is significantly reduced (over 1 frame which in fps/fighting game terms is pretty huge).

So far I have nothing but great things to say about this monitor. It DOES NOT come with the 3D kit. You will have to spend 100-120 to get a kit with the emitter + glasses IF you want to run 3D. So keep that in mind if you're purchasing. This monitor is being marketed mostly to gamers who want a good advantage in regards to input latency and also easier eye strain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Monitor, February 18, 2014
I bought this monitor to replace a Samsung monitor that was black screening and flicking back on a off.lucky for me I got a square trade plan and they are sending me my money back. So I decided to get the ASUS Monitor because it would be better for gaming. This is a way better monitor than the Samsung I had and only cost about 40.00 more. What a difference love it pictures are nice a crisp. JUST A NOTE
TO GET THE •144Hz refresh rate YOU NEED TO USE DVI CABLE ( included with monitor )will not work with HDMI already tried.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D experience, 144Hz, ~6ms response time actual, 27" display...that's about it, April 17, 2013
I bought this not really doing my due-diligence with more researching first. I have owned multiple upon multiple ASUS hardware over the years and have grown to favor their products and expect nothing but quality. While I'm satisfied with this monitor I feel that for what you get out of it is not really worth $500 (after tax and shipping charges). The 3D viewing experience on this monitor is top notch! The 144Hz refresh rate is very satisfying and really a game-changer if you are coming over from a 60Hz display such as myself. However, IMHO I can not tell the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz when actually viewing fast-paced content or not. While that is obviously subjective I could have gone with the VG278H and been completely satisfied and saved money in the process. For the VG278H the IR emitter is built into the monitor and the 3D glasses comes with for ~$100 more than the VG278HE. Having gone the VG278HE route I had to pay ~$150 extra for the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 wireless kit which includes the IR emitter module and 1 pair of 3D glasses that brought my overall purchase to ~$660.

This paragraph has to do more with the technical aspect of the tech than anything so that those who don't know any better can hopefully get an idea and understand what is being presented to them. Given that this is a TN panel the viewing angles are not as graceful as it is marketed as. Yes, you can still see the screen and make out what is happening at a 160 degree viewing angle BUT the image quality is ugly. While being directly in front of the monitor if you move your head literally inches in either direction this greatly changes the contrast and color (simply stating, you can look up why this change occurs if you are curious enough). If you do not use the dynamic contrast (ASCR - set via the OSD settings) functionality then forget the "50,000,000:1" contrast ratio, you are really looking at about 1000:1 actual. Also, don't fall for the GTG marketed response time as a monitor being "fast"; you need to examine the refresh rate and response time together to get an better picture. The lower the response time the less ghosting will appear and the higher the refresh rate the smoother the rendered content will appear. The actual average response time when GTG (gray-to-gray) number is provided is roughly 3x more and about 2x more for black-white-black - this is the rule of thumb. Fast-paced gaming/movies are more suitable (subjective) with actual response times at or below 8ms (12ms border-line acceptable) for no noticeable ghosting; some ghosting is tolerable but there is a fine line. A perfect example of this is some IPS panel displays being marketed at having a 5ms GTG response time but yet even with making tracer-free value adjustments in order to achieve minimal ghosting it comes with picture artifacts and tearing. If you apply the "rule of thumb" the 5ms GTG response time is really 15-16ms which is quite a lot IMHO. Hope this helps some. The pixel pitch is 0.311mm which is acceptable but anything more is not desirable - you want the lowest number here you can get so smaller images can be displayed and images will look crisp. I sit about 2' from the monitor and because of a pixel pitch of 0.311mm the display doesn't look as crisp unless I back up farther - just to give you an idea.

Anyways, here is my summary.

Pros:
- 27" TN panel
- 2ms (GTG) response time (~6ms average real-time)
- No dead pixels
- Up-to 144Hz refresh rate - experiencing content in at least 120Hz will make you NOT want to view content in anything less!
- Watching/playing 3D content is amazing!
- 300cd/m2 - quite bright
- No/minimal ghosting
- 0.311mm pixel pitch - acceptable but wish it was lower for a more crisp-looking display

Cons:
- Apparent light bleed on all sides
- 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort connectors for ~$500? I knew this when I bought it but I'm still wondering what makes this monitor $500 as I don't see it standing out amongst the rest? Hopefully the 144Hz isn't the answer?
- OSD is quite flaky to work with
- As mentioned, the pixel-pitch is not that high but acceptable
- Doesn't come packaged with the 3D kit like the VG278H which is roughly $100 more

Out of the box the display color is pretty bad. You can go to tftcentral (google it), choose articles then ICC profiles to get an ICC profile already done for you (nicely done in fact) if you want to 'calibrate' the monitor but don't want to do it yourself.

I know it sounds like I'm being overly negative about this monitor but like I said before I am still very much satisfied with it but if I would have known then what I know now my decision would not have been the same; take it as you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor with a few caveats., November 14, 2014
In one sentence I would say: Great monitor, gaming in 60+ fps adds so much to the games you already enjoy.

Once I take a minute to think a bit harder about my experience:

*Important note*: To get full resolution 1920x1080 @ above 60 you will need to use dual link DVI. The monitor comes with this cable, but you need to make sure you graphics card supports it as well. I first swapped out with my old monitor and used its HDMI cable with my brand new Asus. When using an HDMI cable everything was scaled down (one inch of black bars around the window and 60hz only). I read the manual very closely and on one of the last pages it mentions the operating max resolution and hz for each cabling standard. So just save yourself the time and use the included dual link cable DVI cable.

Another item that I have noticed is that on my AMD 7990 (I have heard it is a problem with other AMD cards) is that it will not allow full 144hz refresh when playing games. Any higher than 120hz it will crash when entering a game. There are ways to fix this by modifying some drivers but I didn't look into it any further than that because it was for an earlier catalyst version. You can however turn on 144hz on the desktop and it will work fine. Once you launch a game in full screen it will crash.

One last thing to note, moving from my I-Inc 28" monitor, I felt I had to keep the monitor very dim on the Asus for the colors to show up well. If I turned up the brightness, everything would wash out pretty badly. Because of this I used the mode preset button quite frequently for when I move between games and watching videos or browsing the internet. (Standard for browsing/movies, and Scenery for gaming).

4.0 out of 5 stars and height adjustments - Built-in speakers - but they sound about as you would expect for small built-in speakers - Fast pixel r, September 5, 2014
Pros:
- 27"
- 144hz - you'll notice a huge difference over any 60hz panel, even just moving your cursor around.
- Tilt, swivel, and height adjustments
- Fast pixel response = minimal ghosting even without Lightboost
- Enable 2D Lightboost using a 3rd party app (Strobelight) and you can have zero ghosting - looks like a CRT
- Works with NVIDIA 3D Vision

Cons:
- TN panel - but at the time of this review, that's about your only option for 120+hz gaming monitors.
- My unit has some ATROCIOUS backlight bleeding on the right side, so bad that you can faintly see it even in full bright colored images. It's hard to ignore. To add to that, I have it sitting next to a cheap Planar 27" 60hz panel and the Planar has much darker black levels across the entire screen. The VG278HE lets a bit more backlight through across the whole panel. As such, games where you're in a dark scene, or for example, sitting in the cockpit of your car in iRacing, the darkness just looks washed out (with a greyish look) due to the backlight coming through, which no amount of adjustment can fix.
- Out of the box color settings way off - very cool color temp and way too bright.

5.0 out of 5 stars more than impressed!!, November 13, 2013
Jason J Chapman (STOCKTON, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this monitor solely with FPS (frames per second) in mind. coming from a 60Hz IPS display (ASUS PA248Q) - actually dual 24" 60Hz IPS displays - this monitor performs excellently, despite its 6-bit panel. (for more on the difference between and IPS, typically an 8-bit display, panel and a TN, 6-bit display, panel like this model go here: [...] it basically boils down to the amount of possible colors the display can produce, but many modern TN panels (such as this one) employ what is called dithering.

with the limited amount of colors a 6-bit TN panel can produce in mind, it's easily understood why this restriction creates more-unnatural transitions between colors or even shades of the same color - known as artifactual tearing. what dithering does, is basically scatter pixels allow the transition line between colors or shades of colors. this creates a sort of blurred effect which tricks they eye into perceiving the gradient as be much more fluid. 6-bit panels + dithering = a display capable of "displaying" 16.7 Million Colors

the range of calibration on this monitor is particularly good. rather than fussing around with the settings of both monitors, I decided to let someone else do the work for me - a professional! product reviews for monitors, when extensively and robustly technical, provide a plethora of useful information for a new monitor owner. I just so happened to find a website which is professional analysis of display performance via digital calibration tools. this particular website also happened to have a database of ICC profiles! ICC profiles, for those who don't know, are a means of adjusting the color/brightness/saturation/contrast/temperature/whatever else you can think of that is in the monitor's OSD menu. it's like having a file that automatically presses all the right buttons to calibrate the display as close to perfect as possible.

all you have to do before installing an ICC profile, is set all your software graphics settings to default (no games.. graphics driver software, windows color calibration) as well as your monitor to "sRBG" Splendid mode. if your monitor is available here, download the proper ICC profile: [...] then, follow the instruction provided here for installing the ICC profile: [...]

I used this method for both of my displays.. yes, drastically different panels and they looked horrible side-by-side when I first plugged the new one in. luckily, the database mentioned above had both ICC profiles for my ASUS PA248Q and this product, the VG278HE.

you can hardly tell the IPS apart from the TN. when it comes to framerate, however.. well, that's another story :)

Hope this helps,
JChap1590

3.0 out of 5 stars Great display, awful setup and accessories., September 1, 2014
It's a great monitor, but a pain in the ass. The display is amazing and I have not noticed any flickers or dysfunctional pixels. On the other hand, the power input is such an enormous pain, it does not simply plug in and go. No, you have to wiggle it around for about 3 minutes before finding the one perfect spot where it doesn't just uncontrollably make an annoying shocking sound. Also this monitor VERY easily scratches. I barely touched it with a plug on accident and it make a deep gash that I still cannot repair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming Monitor, May 27, 2014
I have been using a ACER GD235HD this is a nice monitor for 3D Gaming. Till I put this ASUS VG278HE next to it. The size is not the big thing I was impressed with it was the colors White is whiter the ASUS is a lot clearer than the ACER. I also do Digital Photography and I really like the quality of the image I get with the ASUS far superior to all the other monitors I have had. As I get older I find that the Size does help with being able to read print and to just see everything better Great Job ASUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic FPS monitor, October 5, 2013
I purchased this monitor to play FPS games, and it has not disappointed me thus far. This is not one of those 'great color and picture!' monitors, it is an epic gaming monitor that is extremely smooth at '144 mhz refresh rate'. My main game is BF3, and I am doing infantry only rounds that end with scores like 100 kills and 10 deaths. It has definately increased my overall accuracy.

Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gaming monitor, October 25, 2014
Stephen Sykes (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I agree with the other positive reviewers, that this is an excellent gaming monitor. I'm running it off an EVGA GTX780 card with DVI input, and installation couldn't have been simpler. I selected the "standard" screen mode with neutral settings and then used the computer's nVidia driver to fine tune the color and performance. Judging from some of the reviews, I was prepared for a truly awful initial image, but I only had to make modest changes to the gamma and vibrance settings. It's a TN monitor with a 32-bit palette, so color isn't as as smooth as 64-bit IPS, and there is some banding, but it's fine for gaming. There are better and less expensive choices for photography and business uses. I run it at it's full 144Hz with the game fps locked at 200, and it runs smoothly without any detectable jutter or input lag. It runs pretty efficiently, too. I lost very little frame rate from the 60Hz IPS monitor it replaced. That was a welcome surprise. If I had to cite a single negative, it's that the 3/4" side bezel width is a little wide for multi-monitor use. I don't think there are any other monitors in this class with thinner bezels though.