Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: VHT SP139 Engine Enamel GM Satin Black Can - 11 oz.
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: GM Satin Black|Change

on August 28, 2012
Use the VHT engine enamel primer, paint and clear. Follow the instructions on can for coating and curing. This stuff sprays nicely and smoothly. and it holds up well.
My engine has been sprayed for a year and a half, 2000 miles.
review image
on November 9, 2012
I have painted a few engine components that have been exposed to Hi-Temps with great results. I never knew they made a Hi-Temp Clear. My current project is a 99 OBS Escahoe with 6.0 LS Swap and 4wd 80e. I painted the block using the simple steps what I have done for years. Strip using a wire brush, soak with engine de-greaser, power wash, dry, & paint.

I wanted to paint my transmission purple b/c it is the same color as ATS Diesel's Transmissions & the Mrs. favorite color (but we all know the real deal) LOL. I couldn't get it at Advanced Auto Parts, I was forced to go online. Amazon had the best price but still about $3 more per can then at Advanced. When I found purple paint, Amazaon offered the primer and clear as well. I honestly had no clue about the primer spray and clear coat. I read a helpful review that the CLEAR COAT will form a SMOOTH surface over the paint. Smooth means less abrasive and the engine grime and dirt can't be in-bedded. The Cleared Part will be easy to maintain over the years keep my hard work clean! So I choose to do 3 stages Amazon recommended Primer. Paint, Clear. I still prepped (wire brush, de-grease, & power wash) the transmission before I lay first coat of primer (ended do three coats). I did as the directions on the can said to for all three stages of the paint phase.

I WILL BE HONEST: When I first laid the clear I was upset, it seemed to dull the gloss purple paint that was finished drying. After it drying for 24 hours, the shine came back. Not glossy as originally it was, but the POP effect was there. The first thing I did was run my CLEAN hands over the cleared transmission & it was smooth as a virgin's bottom. I was very pleased & tempted to strip my block and re-do it in the 3 stages. I will leave the block and transmission as is see how they compare over a year and chime back in!

Here is link my photobucket account of both motor and engine:

[...]

Hope this helps! ff40
on October 28, 2015
Looked good and worked well during low temps. Even though this is rated at 500F degrees it failed, bubbled, then chipped after first day it was hot with coolant temp at 225F which is normal op temp for C4 vette. Might work well on a cooler running engine but not as rated.
on October 29, 2012
VHT engine enamel is the right stuff. I used it before, and used it again. Painting the air cooled aluminum engine on my motorcycle...I wanted something that wouldnt flake or peel. So, I turned to VHT, I cleaned the engine thoroughly w acetone, then sprayed the VHT engine enamel primer, engine paint, engine clear coat. They all sprayed on smooth and the gloss is slick and shiny. It is a must to follow the instructions on the can...this paint must be cured properly! (it is very fragile before curing and tough after) More than two years and 2000 miles on Illinois chip & tar roads. I couldnt be happier.
review image review image review image
on July 24, 2015
It worked quite well for resurfacing a cast iron pot lid which had a colored exterior coated with glass. The glass coat had come off it the dishwasher. This gloss spray restored most of the shine - not all - but I am grateful for what I got because I was devastated over what the dishwasher did to my beautiful and rather pricey pot. it is oven worthy again.
on December 12, 2011
I bought this for my Buick Straight 8 motor. I hadn't spray-painted any engine sheet-metal since 1990 or so. Either I somehow became a better spray-painter (without practicing!) or this is a much better can of paint than I used last time! It's easy to get smooth coverage without runs and sags. I primed bare metal, then painted and hit the parts with a heat gun for a few minutes. The 'cooked' paint seems to be as tough as they claim. Time will tell.
on March 4, 2016
I've had great luck with VHT paint. I've used the roll bar paint and the high heat exhaust paint. They sprayed on easy and have both lasted. This engine paint sprayed out nicely, and I have no reason to expect anything but a long lasting finish. I would recommend VHT paint to anyone.
on April 2, 2015
I do like the VHT brand. I use it to paint my calipers. It holds up fine depending on how much you drive. I've used this blue, a darker blue and the bright green they have. So obviously if you drive more often you'll obtain brake dust, salt wear, etc quicker. The brightness however holds up. I would recommended this brand. The pricing on Amazon and the actual company website are similar if not the same. I received my shipment in a day (ETA was 1-3 days). Very pleased with how quickly I received it.
on April 12, 2013
I had my engine overhauled and painted by the mechanic. I wanted to match his paint colors. Amazon has a huge selection of colors. I ordered the correct paint stock numbers and received the exact colors to match. Too easy.
on November 6, 2015
came out as kind of a water melon color, ...not the bright red of the pic or the can cap. ran out of paint just before the end of the 2nd coat,

...have primer left though, and did 2 coats of that also.

I used the so called "bright red" over the VHT SP307 High Performance Self-Etch Primer, which in reality is in a green cap can and not the gold cap can that Amazon pictures. (and has been called out repeatedly but they don't change the pic). that comes out green just like the can cap though.