Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 61 questions
votes
No it is only a press ...in other words just shaps the tortilla...you need to roll the dough out into little balls...then press...you can cook the tortillas in a frying pan...as soon as you see bubbles flip over and cook the other side....they cook very quickly....hope this helps.
Jul 2, 2013 by Christine
votes
You "CURE" iron devices to prevent rust for years as long as the coating is not washed off, or recoated with some type of oil if it gets wet. It does not have to be something you use to cook (like a frying pan) but could be something like a press or iron napkin holder that is cured to prevent rust (and some sticking if used in cooking).
Feb 26, 2014 by Dinubabear
votes
I agree with Ben. I am not sure what recipe everyone is using, but I am fairly certain real tortillas have lard in them. If you still have a problem here is what I did. [I made my dough, I used just what I had around the house, flour, water, salt and lard. I split a ziplock bag apart. I placed one side of the bag on the open press, then placed the little dough ball on the bag, and placed other side of the bag on the dough and closed the press. I pressed the leaver. Masa flour is more coarse, so you might want to add a tablespoon of regular bread flour or all purpose flour to the Masa as this may improve the dough because of the gluten that is in regular wheat flour. Gluten would or could or should ...laughing hold your dough together I would think. I laugh because I am only speaking theoretically and have not tired the Masa with flour. It is just cheap ingredients and well worth the trial, I think to have a good homemade, tortilla less all the additives store bought would have in them. Real tortillas I believe have pork fat or lard in them, so you would need some kind of fat. I don't think you want to use oil as this seems like it would be to liquid. In a pinch I would consider Crisco, but much prefer a natural ingredient like lard as it is a real fat that our body knows how to handle. I have a rule if I cannot get the stuff to melt on hot toast I don't think it is going to flow at body temperature in my blood. Good luck and don't give up.
Nov 18, 2013 by bjInSoIL
votes
i tried making flour tortillas with this press, they turn out to be very small but it works, I perfer rolling flour tortillas out with my rolling pin
Aug 6, 2013 by Mollie
vote
I can't tell you how much water to add, as I don't measure. I use about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of masa. I then use my hand to mix warm water ( warm some up on stove or microwave). Just Luke warm. Mix by hand until it holds together when you squeeze it. You can tell then is it is too wet of dry. Then like the other post said, cut open a ziplock bag or I use a plastic shopping bag to cover both plates of the press. Put in a ball of masa, golf ball size ( 65 grams). Press firmly. Peel back top piece of plastic. Then slowly peel back bottom in your open palm and plop it in your very hot pan. Also when they are done put them on a plate covered with towels. This will keep them moist so you can bend them without breaking.
Nov 17, 2013 by Alfred A
vote
I purchased the 8" only because the 6" wasn't available at what I felt was a reasonable cost. I just make the balls sized for a 6" tortilla and it works great. I was originally holding off to get the 6", but wanted to make for something coming up so went with 8" option and not disappointed I did. Not I can make either size. Hope this helps you.
Nov 15, 2013 by SB
vote
You can use it to make flour tortillas but they come out very thick. The press can not make them as thin as really good handmade tortillas.
Feb 16, 2014 by Amazon Customer
vote
not a problem @ all. tip: place 2 circles of wax paper between each side of press when pressing tort. (1 piece on top and 1 piece on bottom. that way the dough wont stick to the press.
Jan 25, 2014 by Debbie J Anderson
vote
Yes, I noticed this as well. The picture gives a bit of false advertising. I purchased mine over a year ago so they really have no excuse if the product changed to update that photo.
Jan 13, 2014 by Mary S
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers