4.0 out of 5 stars Apple Skinner/Slicer/Corer
This item peels apples amazingly fast, as fast as you can turn the handle.
It makes the job of peeling and slicing the apples the shortest part of the job when preparing apple desserts.
Really worth the money spent, in saved time and frustration.
It will peel, core and slice an apple as fast as you can turn the handle, about 30 seconds per apple...
Published on December 8, 2009 by Ron Riley

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Apples - Not Potatoes
This is my first peeler, so I didn't exactly know how to compare one from another and I hope this helps.

First, the mouth opening is a good size for Small Apples and Small potatoes - or you can simply cut the potato in half so that it fits correctly in opening.

Published on December 15, 2011 by Joseph A. Mecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple Skinner/Slicer/Corer, December 8, 2009
Ron Riley (Levittown, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VICTORIO VKP1010 Apple and Potato Peeler, Suction Base (Kitchen)
This item peels apples amazingly fast, as fast as you can turn the handle.
Really worth the money spent, in saved time and frustration.
You'll probably peel more apples then you need, just because it's neat to watch it work.

Minus: You have to hold the cutter back until it gets started on BIG apples (or LARGE potatoes).
You need a smooth non porious surface to attach it too or it requires two hands to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product...this is the one to get!, October 20, 2012
This is the first year my little orchard has produced large quantities of apples, so I hauled out a vintage mechanical peeler that had been sitting in the attic for 25 years. I spent an hour trying to fine tune it and not have it destroy every apple I tried. I thought I was stuck with hand peeling, but decided to check and see if there was anything available that wasn't more trouble than it was worth. After reading the reviews for various peelers here, and watching a bunch of YouTube videos, I decided to give this one a try. It worked perfectly right out of the box, and required only about 30 seconds to screw on the handle and the tines.

Here is what I liked best:

-Solid construction, nicely machined, and well-finished
-Suction base sticks fiercely to my granite counter and doesn't come loose; if you have a smooth, non-porous surface to mount it on, this is so much better than the ones that clamp to the underside of the counter with a screw (and invariably wobble)
-Very clearly written instruction book (not some bad translation into English from another language)
-Reasonable price (I know there is another one on this site that looks about the same, and costs a few bucks less, but I thought this one had better overall reviews)
-Works with a wide variety of apple sizes, even ones that are pretty large; also adapts well to lopsided apples without messing up
-The hoop that does the coring does a really good job of keeping the apple centered, despite the shape of the apple. You just need to do your best to align the apple when mounting it on the tines, but the peeler is pretty forgiving even if the apple has a fair amount of wobble
-Once it starts cutting it doesn't miss any part of the peel on the bulk of the apple; it leaves only about 1/8" at the top and bottom where the apple is "flat"...and I just eat that
-The spiral cut slices are a great thickness for dehydrating, for freezing, and for making pies

I was concerned that the loop-shaped blade would "waste" more apple flesh than a straight blade, but the waste is trivial. In fact, in my experience with a straight-bladed model, the gouging on all the apples that weren't perfectly shaped did lead to a lot of waste. For my first batch, I processed about 50-60 apples of 5 different species, which ranged widely in size, symmetry, and firmness. The only one I had trouble with was one that wasn't a firm apple to start with and had been sitting out for a couple of weeks; it was so soft that the tines started to turn freely in the core before the whole apple was finished being peeled. If I would have processed it when it was fresh this wouldn't have been a problem.

I set mine up on the edge of the granite counter right next to the sink, and all the waste went right in: no more peels and apple juice making my floor sticky.

This is one of those kitchen gadgets that works well consistently, as opposed to those that work well 90% of the time, but are annoying and time consuming the other 10% of the time. In fact, this is actually fun to use and fast...and that's important when you are looking at dealing with bushels of apples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kitchen gadget, May 3, 2013
Jeff (Sonova Beach) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 0:43 Mins

It cores, peels, and slices. Not only does it save tons of time, but it's MUCH safer than using a paring knife to peel apples or potatoes. The suction cup sucker works well and the entire unit is easy to clean.

It takes about 40 seconds to core, peel, and slice an apple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior, October 10, 2012
One of my friends had recently picked up a cheaper imitation (quality not cost) of this product and I fell in love with it. I almost made the mistake of buying the same thing she did but I took my time and read reviews for about 10 different brands selling almost identical apple peeler/corers. One of the reviews I read made mention of the difference between the CAST-IRON vs. the ALUMINIUM peelers. You definitely want the cast-iron ones and I found the heaviest one I could and went with this one. I am very happy I did.

The first difference I noticed between the cheap one I used before and this one was the weight, this one weighs almost double what the other did. It just looks and feels much more substantial and of superior quality. Then I noticed that the handle doesn't fall off every time I used the device (seriously, I had to have a screw driver around every time I tried to use the old one). Then I found that the suction base ACTUALLY worked and worked well, I'm not sure I'd be able to force this thing off of my counter-top if I tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars great peeler, June 6, 2011
love this, works great use also on cucumbers and anything else that will fit. love the uniformity. Make sure your counter is try, a wet or moist counter wont allow sucction to happen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Apples - Not Potatoes, December 15, 2011

Second: The adjust screw to tension the shaving device is what it is,it's a screw and very difficult it difficult to access with a screwdriver - there is no way to adjust the pressure with your fingers.

If this is your first peeler, you must adjust the pressure for every item you place in the peeler, otherwise, you will lose the flesh of the product.

I feel there is probably a better cutting blade out there as well. But how do you find one. It was a cheap learning experience and after using the product a couple of times, I now know what to look for in a replacement. "Wider Mouth opening and easy access to the tension adjuster"

Positive, suction cup works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best kitchen gadgets purchased, January 13, 2011
Recently purchased this Apple Peeler as a novelty item for Christmas. My 9 year old daughter loves apples but hates the peel. I taught her how to use a potato peeler but she struggled. With this Victorio Apple Peeler she can have an apple peeled, cored, and sliced in less than 30 seconds. Now she eats an apple a day and loves using this gadget. My 12 year old who used to eat the apple without peeling also loves using this item. I find that the waste less apple using this than other methods.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit fussy, but works well, August 20, 2012
I bought this peeler/corer/slicer for use in dehydrating apple slices and after the first use am awarding it four stars.

The machine is a bit fussy in two areas:

- the first is that it is very picky about the surface its suction cup will accept. It must be perfectly smooth and my kitchen countertop surface isn't. a smooth surfaced metal cookie sheet worked very well (i doubt a teflon coated one would work all that well).

- The second issue is the variety of apple I was using. Red Delicious apples didn't work because they are a bit too soft beneath the skin and the mounting "prongs" chewed up the stem end of the apple. Granny Smith apples worked very well.

Others have griped about trying to peel potatoes with it. I have no intention of using it in that manner so I'll take their word for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why doesn't everyone have one of these???, September 26, 2012
I only know about this gadget because my grandma got a much older version of one at an estate sale and gave it to me, and I recently upgraded to this new one. After I used it once, I didn't know why anyone would do it any other way. If you're an apples or potatoe eater, BUY THIS PRODUCT.

The suction cup works PERFECTLY and holds it right in place with no movement at all. Even better: I have little kitchen storage space, and the suction cup allows me to store it ON THE BOTTOM OF MY CABINET! (or any other flat surface!)

And the peeling/coring/slicing doesn't have to be all done together. Depending on your apple needs, you can just peel, or just core and slice, or do nothing to it (if you just want to watch the apple spin. Dance, apple, dance!)

Cleanup is incredibly easy.

I eat all my apples now after sending them through this thing, because it minimizes waste by cutting close to the core! Also, the slices are thin enough, that I feel like I'm getting a lot more food, and it's a longer lasting snack. (My snack used to be ONE apple, but now it's TWENTY apple slices! Whoa!

And you can use the peeler to peel of thin strings of potatoes for hash browns. Neat, huh?

Overall, the 10 seconds it takes to put an apple on here and send it through is WAY more convenient than the time it takes to do it all by hand, and less wasteful. Seriously, get this product, it's amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT PEALER, October 22, 2010
Barnes Books (California USA) - See all my reviews
This is the second apple corer/pealer I have purchsed in 20 years. I make applsauce for about 100 people around the holidays and keep it up all year long. This little device makes my life SO much easier-and my son LOVES to help. My chickens get the peals and the entire family is happy. For me, this is a great product!

VICTORIO VKP1010 Apple and Potato Peeler, Suction Base