Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on November 14, 2013
This is a very good program and very easy to use. I had Kaspersky Pure, but they couldn't seem to fix the problem with their NDIS 6 filter, which causing WIFI dropouts constantly. This program does not have that problem. So even with lots of time left on my Kaspersky, it became unusable. This program is fast and has you covered and works well with Windows 8! Sorry Kaspersky, you should have worked on my claim and not closed the ticket. Read My review on Kaspersky Pure. BUY IT AND INSTALL IT, YOU WILL BE HAPPY.

Update: November 16, 2013

This program covers everything. As a matter of fact, the firewall is the tightest I have ever seen, and I have used almost all of the big ones. This program has no lag, and updates regularly and does not slow down the computer. It is also very easy to install in Windows 8 Professional. I like it better than Kaspersky, even when Kaspersky was working properly. I will continue to update as time goes on, but for now, it really covers the internet well, and works flawlessly with Firefox. I work for one of the largest companies in the world, and they use McAfee, and I got a free license as an employee. My email was hacked through McAfee. That doesn't sound bad, but believe me, it is, especially when you've had the email address for over 20 years. It took months to remedy the problem, because I had to create another email account. Never realized how many people had to be contacted, including banks, credit cards etc., and that took a very long time. So because of that, I am very cautious about what virus program I run.

Update: November 16, 2012

Best Buy had the HP Officejet 8600 Pro printer on sale for $149, so knowing my 8500 was failing, I bought one. This where I learned how secure Vipre really is. I unpacked the printer, and setup the wireless Uverse modem on the printer's control panel, and then sat down at my desktop and installed the software. That is when I found out exactly how secure Vipre's firewall is. The HP install software could not find the printer on the network, because Vipre had it blocked. Well after playing with Vipre for awhile, I still couldn't get the printer to work. I disabled Vipre and the software found the printer on the network and installed fine. I re-enabled Vipre, and the printer would not print. I uninstalled Vipre, and reinstalled it, and the printer would not print. I Googled the problem, and it took me to an HP forum. There I found the answer, and I am posting it here so you future buyers can save some time.

With Vipre installed, and before you install new wireless hardware's software, open Vipre, click the firewall tab on the top, in the settings menu to the right, click view settings. This opens up a new window with all kinds of tabs. At the bottom of that window, click reset to defaults, and when the next window opens, check reset to learning mode, then click OK and exit Vipre. Install your product, and Vipre will then ask you to allow or not, and lets you create a rule for your new hardware. After your Hardware and software is installed, such as the above printer, make sure it prints, or works. Thereafter, reopen Vipre, click firewall, reset to defaults, then reset to simple mode, and close Vipre. Now your printer or other hardware will work, and will not be blocked by Vipre. This is a really solid virus protection, and I feel very secure with this program installed. It is a pain because of this, but I like the tight security it offers. It was also rated the best for 2014 by PC Magazine. Also, for you parents worried about your teenagers going to websites they are not supposed to be on, Vipre will block them. I tried several adult websites and dangerous chat rooms, and could not get on one of them. That really impressed me. It also scans social websites for harmful items, trogens and spyware. The makers of this program have thought of everything, and this now allows my grand kids to use my computers without worrying that they will end up where they don't belong. Vipre won't allow it.

Dale in Texas
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2014
That’s a serious accusation and a strong reason not to buy Vipre. Let me tell you my story and you can judge whether it’s justified.

A Thursday in January I’m working on a client project from my home office, go to one of their clients’ websites and download some files. Open one of them Friday and Vipre tells me it has prevented an intrusion attempt. I’m surprised, still need the file, go to the website again and as soon as I get there get another intrusion attempt, which Vipre says it has dealt with. OK, I sent a note to the site owner and told him it seems he’s been hacked.

At the end of the day, start a full system scan. Saturday morning I check the computer, Vipre tells me it has detected a trojan but cannot delete or quarantine it. I send a note to tech support, they say download Vipre 2014, install, and run a scan in safe mode – that should take care of it. But Vipre 2014 will not install. Now I phone them.

The technician I connect to has me download remote control software, looks at my machine, brings up a number of files and says I have a serious problem, look at all the files that are corrupted. But since this is a trojan, and thus something I downloaded, not part of their free service. They need to charge me $200 - and they want my credit card. I say, I have BounceBack and can wipe out the whole hard drive and restore and get rid of the trojan that way. But the guy says no, this can affect every computer on my home network, that won’t fix it. So I pay.

So one technician starts on my HP workstation, this guy talks to my daughter, who is visiting and working from her laptop plugged into my network. He remotes in, points out files on her laptop that he says are evidence that she’s been hit. But no, she’s uncomfortable. It’s her employer’s machine. Says she will talk to her IT department. Hangs up with him and calls IT. She reads them the file names and they say, no, those are legitimate files that are part of the operating system – sometimes a trojan can take over these files but, after talking to her for a while, they conclude that she has no problem.

In the meantime, the technician has remoted into my second machine, a laptop, and says, hey, look at all these bad files. OK, I say, can you fix this? Yes, and should they I charge the same credit card? Wait a minute, I’ve already paid you $200. Oh, no, it’s $200 per machine – funny didn’t we explain that? - $600 total. I say, I’m going to run a full Vipre scan (have 2014 on the laptop) and call him back if I find a problem. He backs off. The scan turns up nothing, and when I check the files carefully later on, I see that they are random error messages that have nothing to do with the trojan. The laptop has shown no signs of any problem to this day.

June 2015 - another thing to add. ITechLine has been calling me every 4 - 6 weeks since the incident asking me to buy more services, more often recently (2 calls in last 2 days). I can't get them to stop calling me. One more reason to stay as far away from these guys as you can.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2014
I guess it's good, ONLY because I don't ever get any mal-ware, viruses or anything on my computer so that's the main thing.
I also NEVER EVER get a pop-up that says we blocked that threat or this virus either so am I lucky or is this doing it's job. Maybe both huh?

It does tell me from time to time if I'm going to a known bad site and I like that.

It takes about three hours to do a deep scan and takes forever, but I guess it's good to have nothing wrong on my computer as fast and accurate may be at odds on this issue. I'll take accurate and thorough every time.Yes, it has a "quick scan" also that works fine.

I totally dis-like the software up-date part that is terribly hard to understand, and won't let you pick and choose, but rather does EVERYTHING so I turn that off. Some software I don't want up-dated because I never use it, and won't take a chance on fouling things up on my computer.
Some people simply won't learn that if it's not "broke" don't FIX IT, when it comes to electronics.

The customer support DOES work, and they seem to know what they're doing as well as being from Florida, so you get people that actually speak English as well. It took them 45 minutes to answer my one call I put to them, to ask an easy question about "Do I need to also run a mal-ware program along with Vipre?" and they said "NO" this product handles both issues.

Good with E-mail and doesn't seem to slow things down at all. Helps weed out spam and does a good job here with attachments and such.
It bothers me a great deal though that I never get a note about blocking threats and all the scans simply find cookies to delete. So I don't really know if it's the great software or my good luck, or both.
I'll say it's the software and think good things.
on January 19, 2014
You do not get a diskette. All you get is a sheet of paper that gives an web address that triggers security warnings from Norton Antivirus. If you manage to get to the site anyway, you can download a trial version of the software. The key they give you in the sheet is invalid and is not acceptedwhen you try to activate the software. Go buy it from developer! For the same money you get WORKING software activated for one year and a backup diskette. For 50% more they will extend your subscription for another year!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2014
This is a very simple program to install and more user friendly then other software programs I have used in the past which sometime bogged my computer down.
on May 16, 2014
My son suggested I purchase the VIPRE anti virus- I like the fact that it tells you when you are entering a website that could give you a virus. I am very happy with it.
on April 2, 2014
I had another security but was still getting an occasional bug in my computer,Vipre was suggested by a computer repairman. I tried and when I ran it the first time I was surprised to find out I had thirty two different bugs in my system most not threading but my other protection didn't even show them. I recommend Vipre for protecting your computer.
on April 1, 2014
This is my second year using VIPRE on three computers. It has worked very well - I've had no viruses, etc.
on April 1, 2014
This security program has worked wonders. Has maintained my system in a secure manner. I: will make sure that this is on my machine for a long time to come.
on December 15, 2013
product was delivered in a couple of days, didn't take long to down load & haven't had any problems with it