5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product - 100% Netflix Ready
I have been testing Netflix Streaming players for quite a while. This is my primary focus.
Having experienced all levels of interfaces I rate them three ways:
1. Does Search (for titles), Also does Genre, and does Instant Queue.
2. Does Genre and Instant Queue (no search function).
3. Instant Queue only. You manage what you can select from a PC at the...
Published on March 25, 2011 by Mr B

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware....
Published on June 8, 2011 by American Tourist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product - 100% Netflix Ready, March 25, 2011
Mr B "Mr B" (California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VIZIO 3D Blu-ray player with Wireless Internet Apps and HDMI Cable, VBR334 (Electronics)
Having experienced all levels of interfaces I rate them three ways:
1. Does Search (for titles), Also does Genre, and does Instant Queue.
2. Does Genre and Instant Queue (no search function).
3. Instant Queue only. You manage what you can select from a PC at the Netflix website.

The VBR334 is a level 1 , best Netflix interface, does it all.
Most other Vizios I have tested do NOT do level one, they mostly are level 2.

I will say that most products that stream do not do anything other than level 3.
The game consoles also are excellent, but cost more than this VBR334 Vizio Blu Ray player.

WIRELESS: built in wireless - how can you possibly go wrong for this price ? Other manufacturers only do
wi-fi ready for an additional cost. This is built in.
BUT... you need to understand that to maintain N level wi-fi speeds you need to use WPA at a minimum.
WEP will not allow N, the player will do WEP, but other Vizio models need to be reconnected
each time they are booted, the WEP key is remembered, you just have to select your SSID and connect.
Once you learn this and get past it it is okay. But if you have an N capable router , use WPA or better
and it should all be fine.

We are actually pretty excited. I have been testing these units for months and can finally stop,
purchase enough VBR334's to go around and be done with it.

Hope this helps others out there who are also looking for capable streaming devices that play Blu Ray.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware...., June 8, 2011
Beware.. although this is advertised as having "Vizio Internet Apps", it DOES NOT have the standard suite of apps offered on the Vizio Internet Apps Web site!... Includes a very limited suite of apps and DOES NOT include Amazon Instant Video! I called Vizio customer support to see if there was a software upgrade and was told this unit is not upgradeable to the standard suite of apps. As other have noted, it is painfully slow to load... and generally slow to respond.. I have already packed it up for return...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but still needs some polish, April 9, 2011
I have had the vbr334 for a month now. It has worked perfectly on all types of disk. The netflix streaming is great and the wireless network is great. It is worth noting that it only supports 2.4Ghz so no dual band support.

I have finally found my first glitch with Tron 3D. While it works great, I must first disconnect the net to get it to work or it will just stop. I believe it is trying to access some online connect and it fails. This could be both a problem of the player and/or the disk manufacturer.

Over all I am happy with it. I have used vizio online chat for support and it has been acceptable. The one word of caution is this is a new unit and Vizio is still working the bugs out. But, with online firmware updates I assume this will not be too much of an issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars VIZIO NO LONGER PROVIDING FIRMWARE UPDATES, April 25, 2013
Player was purchased December 2011, less than 1 1/2 years old. Vizio told me yesterday and today by phone (numerous calls) that they were no longer providing firmware updates for their blu ray players. Naturally I was upset, spoke to several employees, including supervisors. All but one told me "Vizio is getting out of the blu ray business". How dare they take money for machines they have no intention of supporting with necessary updates. NO MORE VIZIO for our family! Oh, and by the way, the last Supervisor I spoke with tried to invalidate what the previous employees said, and called me a liar. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, whatever good that will do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you need to play DVDs, February 4, 2012
This unit works pretty well for playing 2D and 3D BDs (blu-ray disks), although it is often unresponsive to its own IR remote, as well as to a programmed DISH remote. As other reviewers have noted, it cannot play a lot of DVDs (digital video disks). I used it for a year to play 2D and 3D BDs and liked it. But when my family tried to use it to play mainstream DVDs, purchased from Amazon and Costco over the last decade, it failed to load over half of them, each time chugging away for varying amounts of time before ejecting the disk. A long chat with Vizio tech support led to the conclusion (from both sides) that there was no fix for this defect. I have other DVD players and combined DVD/BD players, all of which have no problem playing any of these DVDs; it is only this Vizio product that can't. My conclusion is that this is a serious design defect for which Vizio has no remedy. DON'T BUY this product if you need to play DVDs, or if you want a useable remote control capability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darn Nice Player, May 17, 2011
Purchased at Amazon and wouldn't think of going anywhere else.

We have it mated to a Vizio TV.

Non-HD DVDs look as good as some of the HD DVDs. Only problem we had for about 2 days was that the player was turning on and off and making the DVD drawer come out by itself. Then it all went away and worked fine. We're in a tight neighborhood so maybe someone else's remote was activating it. Other than that, the thing works perfectly. We haven't used the widgets although they pop up pretty quickly when you remote them. Hooks up in a heartbeat and shows beautifully. So far I give it a high recommendation.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is the first time Vizio let me down, February 15, 2012
So I had been looking at "Vizio Internet Apps" TVs and BR players.
Had one of the VIA TVs in the bedroom.. loved it.. wanted to either replace the larger TV in the living room or add a streaming device to it. I had done some diligence and checked the Vizio apps website for the things I use.. Pandora, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video.. all there!
Perfect.

While in the store one day, on a whim, I picked one of these up. I hadn't previously considered 3D BR players.. but since the price was right, it had 3D *and* VIA.. why not? Newer tech for the living room, giving me the 3D I *might* want later..

Bought it, brought it home and sat it in the corner (I was getting ready to redo the entertainment center, which led to the spontaneous purchase.. so I'd just wait to hook it up after that was done)

Mistake #1.

A month or so later.. growing sick of Netflix never having what I want for streaming, I signed up for Amazon Prime and started using that for streaming.

Another month or so later, I have my new entertainment center in.. slide in the new Vizio 3D BR player.. pull up the VIA interface...
Disappointment.

This *DOES NOT* have all of the VIA functionality.
Now that I've installed it and set it up.. I realize it has no Amazon video.
What the heck?
Is this a "special" VIA?
Is Amazon Instant Video part of VIA Pro? Version 3.6 Patch 7?
This sucks.

It's now months later and I can't return it.
Vizio had never let me down before.. so I didn't question the purchase.
They had won my loyalty. They may have just lost it.
they had a customer that had disregarded other brands.. and confidently picked their products.

Consistency of the user experience Vizio.. get it right.
Don't create a branded feature like VIA if it's going to be different across devices.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but there are better alternatives, June 18, 2011
I bought this player at Costco earlier in the year, and besides the *horrible* remote you have undoubtedly read about, I thought at first that it was a pretty good media player. Admittedly, I bought it for its wireless capabilities to stream Netflix, and as a plain old DVD player--I'm not really interested in Blu-ray, and I don't even own a 3D TV. But for the price, it seemed a good deal for a streaming DVD player.

A few weeks ago, it started powering up at random times and opening the disk tray. And since it's in our bedroom, you know that became annoying pretty much right away. Not knowing about Costco's replacement policy, I contacted Vizio tech support, and after a couple of failed tries to reset it on my end, they issued a replacement which arrived on Monday of this past week. I set it up and everything worked beautifully until last night when my wife powered it on and it wouldn't recognize our wireless network. It appears now that the wireless antenna on the back of the unit is not even on (it has a couple of LEDs on it that usually act much like the ones on a wireless router)... That's two down, and I have no intention of replacing it with the same model.

Now about that remote... For everyday Netflix or DVD navigation, its more annoying than anything. I can see why older people might have a real problem with it as you have to push the buttons very hard--it's as if they were trying to replicate the experience of using the old "clicker" TV remotes of yesteryear. Like I said, a minor annoyance can become a downright pain in the butt when trying to use the "Wireless Internet Apps," which in and of themselves are kind of lackluster and blah. Also, the settings menu of the player itself is not very user-friendly as if relies on a linear-style click-thru menu to get around. Annoying on its own, and coupled with the remote, super annoying.

I'll be looking at other brands to replace this unit. I hope Vizio learns from this example of bad design and faulty components.

1.0 out of 5 stars *** DO NOT BUY VIZIO ***, November 16, 2013
Got this 3d Blu-ray player in Aug of 2011 and my son got the same player for christmas 2012. As Cindy says below Vizio is no longer making updates. Blu-ray players are software based therefore always needing updates as the code on new BRD changes. So this player useless for any new movies. I will never buy any Vizio products again and there should be a class action suit by all the people who bought this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible! great for old disks, but the newer ones wont play. they also wont update firmware either anymore!, August 5, 2013
we have had this for a while, but it wont play any new movies, you go to the website to update firmware, but guess what, none. when you contact customer service, they tell you that you should buy a new blu ray player.... awesome. no more vizio for us.