5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in all aspects
I was considering purchasing the Vizio laptop CT15-A5 only as choice #2...the Samsung Series 9, similar to that of the Vizio except for the 8GB RAM memory, was my primary focus. However, taking into consideration Vizio's specifications, its price, and Amazon's association, I decided to proceed with the Vizio acquisition.

The shipping/delivery packaging, both...
Published 20 months ago by Talal

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective Battery - Questionable Quality
Published 19 months ago by Tomgadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in all aspects, November 14, 2012
This review is from: VIZIO CT15-A5 15.6-Inch Thin + Light Ultrabook (Personal Computers)

The shipping/delivery packaging, both by Amazon and Vizio, was excellent, neat, tidy, safe, and simple. The laptop's stunningly unique appearance, [lightweight, slim] and durability cannot be denied. The manufacturer's future considerations and modifications must continue regarding opening the laptop with one hand, currently it can only be done with practice and patience. But this should not be a dealer breaker.

I cannot say enough about the boot ramp-up time, absolutely phenomenal with a threshold of 3-7 seconds. Additionally, Out of the box you will have approximately 200GB of free space. Let's not forget that Vizio has a MS signature allowing for no bloating software, I applaud this initiative.

Historically, from my own personal research, there has been significant negative reviews pertaining to Vizio's `track pads'. Not so with Vizio Windows 8, all functions are readily available, easily accessible, two finger scroll [up, down], zoom [in, out], double touch throughout, [right, left] click, etc. This is by far one of the best track pads I've ever used.

I compared the screen with the Samsung series 9 which is owned by a friend, the S9 is superior, especially while viewing in daylight. Saying this does not mean the screen is bad, I watched several movies and the screen did not disappoint me at all, it was adequate.

The battery charger's cable houses enough length extending its usage to outlets immediately out of reach. It also provides visual indicators such as `yellow', `green' notification during the charging process. Depending upon usage, battery life is approximately 3 hours on MS Signature Power Plan.

WIFI reception has not been an issue, it has actually been outstanding. Proximity during usage in my home, which is relatively spacious, far surpasses that of the Samsung 9.

I have yet to max-out speaker volume...Vizio has provided more than adequate sound during my recent movie viewing.

Amazingly, Vizio's heat venting and dispersemant system is incredible, I have not experienced any unnecessary grills during operation and the fan's performance is barely audible.

In conclusion, as its name implies, Vizio is visually impressive...it looks cool, feels cool, runs cool, and most importantly my fingers are happy dancing around its keyboard. On that note, Vizio, Visual that is, back-lit keys should have been implemented improving its night usage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good computer- moved from a Macbook pro, December 5, 2012
I previously owned a 15" Macbook pro i5 (about 2 years old) and moved to this vizio. I've been using the vizio for about a week and can comment on most important aspects of it in comparison to my old mac.

Pros
Design- feels great. Fantastic build quality- easily on par with my mac. very light too! The chassis feels very solid with very minimal flex. I think I remember reading vizio is using some unibody-type construction like the macbooks do.

Screen- Fantastic. I got so sick of the glossy screen on my mac so the matte screen on the vizio is a very welcome change. The resolution is fantastic and viewing angles seen to be better than most laptops.

Speed- I am doing mostly document editing, lots of web browsing and some video watching. Most computers are plenty adequate for this and the vizio is definitely overkill here. The SSD is incredibly fast (both in real world use and benchmarks). One of the best thing about this computer to me though is that it is so fast and does NOT get hot. My macbook would literally burn me if I played a flash video or anything slightly intense. This vizio doesn't have ANY heat problems- I'm really impressed here.

Neither pro nor cons:
Battery life- for web browsing and document editing you should expect to get about 4.5 hours. This is fine for me but it simply can't compare to the 6.5 hours I got with my mac.

Speakers- good for laptop speakers, but they lack a lot of lows and are definitely inferior to my previous mac's speakers.

Touchpad- it is probably the best touchpad you will find on a PC! That being said, it still isn't quite as good as the apple touchpads. What I think I miss the most is how fluid the scrolling was on the mac- this vizio can't quite compare although I think it is more a limitation of microsoft windows.

Windows 8- Windows 8 is just plain weird. I'm slowly adjusting to it, but this is seriously weird. I've used PCs for all except the last two years (when I got my mac) and have had quite a few confusing moments with it. I think I will get adjusted fine eventually though. The good news is that Windows 8 appears to be very efficient power and speed-wise.

Cons:
Keyboard- it kind of sucks. The key travel is very low and there is a small amount of flex. Put these two problems together and it is definitely not the easiest computer to type on. You will end up accidently double-typing a lot of letters. I think this may be something I will adjust to though. It just will require you to adjust the way you are used to pushing on keys though. The keyboard on the macbook is the best there is on any computer and it definitely beats the vizio. Note the samsung 15" ultrabook has similarly low key travel issues too but I found it more comfortable to type on that this computer.

Charger- Two problems: 1. It is piano gloss black- what this means is after 1 day of use you will already have plenty of scratches on it and it is going to look like crap after a couple of weeks. 2. I really wish more comopanies would design their power bricks so they can be directly plugged into the wall like apple does. As someone who always commutes with my laptop it is really annoying to have to pack not only the charging brick but ALSO a huge annoying cord as well.

Overall, I'm very happy with this computer though. I did pay significantly less than retail during a blackfriday sale but you will be very hard pressed to find a 15" ultrabook with specs anywhere near this for the price. Unless you really need the extra space and speed of the CT15-A5 the CT15-A4 may be a much more affordable option and likely has even better battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ Love it Love it. So fast and light on and on and on!!!, January 27, 2013
I bought this laptop for my wife about a month ago to replace her slower than turtle less than one year old Dell laptop. I took a gamble on buying a laptop from Vizio as they are new to laptop manufacturing but after hours and hours of research I am happy to say if has been a great purchase. I should note that I did not buy it here but from another
online seller for 100 less. After reading reviews here which have been very helpful I went to Vizio's website and updated the touchpad drivers and the wi-fi drivers. Big improvement. I also made some adjustments to the two finger scrolling in the settings and works very much like my Macbook pro now.
My wife was very hesitant about it because of the windows 8 thing but after about 2 days she is really liking it. The keys on the keyboard are fantastic with great feedback and proper spacing. The touchpad is great size and works like a charm once the drivers are updated. I think I totally blew my wife away when I turned it on and it was ready to use in 2 seconds or less for real. It makes my Macbook pro look really slow. I am kind of embarrassed now. I use to brag about how fast my Macbook starts up but Wow I can't even begin to start mine up in 2 seconds or less and that is from either a total shutdown or waking from standby.
I also noticed how much faster this laptop is on the internet than any other computer I have seen. So I guess internet speed is also related to the computers performance after all. I will say that I have been anti Microsoft for many years and still am but my wife loves Microsoft windows so that is why I bought this for her. I also have to admit that this Vizio laptop is really making me rethink Microsoft windows again. It is a combination of the huge screen size, extremely thin size, blazing fast speed, battery life and on that is making me think about buying one for myself and maybe try to install mac OS on it.
Ok now onto the battery life. We have been experiencing about 4.5 hrs continuous use with preset screen brightness which is very bright by the way. Onto the screen now. The screen is very clean, clear, and bright. I am really glad they have chosen the matt finish and not the gloss. Another great thing I have noticed is that the laptop stays very cool even after hours of use for work or play. If you listen really closely in a very quite setting you can faintly here a soft whisper from the fan.
The aluminum chassis is fantastic and built just like an Apple. Very ridged and overall construction quality resembles a Macbook Air. I really hope that it holds up as well too.
If I had to have a gripe then it would be the lack of a SD card slot. Yes you can just use an USB adapter that accepts SD cards so no big deal. All I can say is that after many hours of research I choose this laptop for my wife and she loves me for it. Oh I should also mention that I considered The Acer Ultrabook, the Sony T series, and Samsung but in the end this one was a hands down for me. I would certainly recommend this to anyone serious about a performance Ultrabook.

Pros: Extremely thin and light. Might be the thinest for a 15.6 size screen?
I7 very fast processor that performs very well.
Fantastic feel and responding keyboard and multi touch keypad
long battery life 4.5 plus hrs real life use.
Laptop runs very quite and cool
Laptop startup in 2 seconds or less and ready to use
Very fast internet performance
Exceptional screen clarity and performance
Microsoft Certified with no bloatware software to waste time removing. Finally!
Might be able to turn it into a Macbook with Mac OS??

Cons: Well if I must complain it would be the lack of an SD card slot but this can be overcome with an USB adapter that accepts SD cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thin, super fast, sleek, overall a great product!, November 3, 2012
Congrats to VIZIO for getting the the windows 8 ultrabook right. This is the cheapest ultrabook of all core i7 that has a 256GB SSD. Start up is truely instant.. something around 1-2 secs. The design make it so slim that you don't mind carry it everywhere. It beats my old hp. The screen is great to watch movies, do work, read email. I love the multi-touch trackpad, especially with windows 8 gestures.

My only recommendation to Vizio is to offer a upgradable storage option. I would have enjoyed a 500gb one.

UPDATED 11-21

I want to add that if you update the synaptic touchpad driver to the latest (go to Synaptics website), you can enable 3 and 4 finger windows 8 gestures built specifically just for this large touchpad. It is really awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value priced laptop in 15" 1080p segment, January 21, 2013
Seraj Ahmad (Santa Clara, CA) - See all my reviews
I finally bit the bullet and bought it from microsoft store for $799.
Mainly because I thought that for 1080p IPS Laptop with Core i7 and 256GB SSD is pretty good deal and I can live with any downsides. And I think I am justified.

The main feature of this laptop is 1080p IPS MATTE SCREEN. Very vibrant and well color balanced. I am absolutely thrilled how good it is. I had a think pad x201 tablet and it was difficult to work with in direct sun but this one is workable even at the half brightness. The brightness is a little bit more than SONY VAIO S series 15" notebooks.

The second most important feature is 256GB SSD. It is not a whole lot of space to store your media. But other than that it is more than adequate. I run two VMs off of it and have documents and other stuff and does the job. Pretty snappy boot time. I had a samsung SSD SATA-II based and it is easily twice as fast as that.

If these two features haven't made you fall in love with this then third one is large trackpad and bloatware/trialware free windows. It looks nice and very sleek and lightweight and has a neat look. Boots in 3 seconds.

Great. Now stop here and go buy the laptop!!!

Okay Great you bought it!!! Honeymoon is over and now work on the compromise and respect each others's feeling. Stop complaining about the keyboard! Yeah I know you don't like it. The old thinkpad had a pretty good keyboard...but live with it. After sometime you will begin to like it.
Yes my only wish was dedicated PgUp and PgDown key and full size arrow keys. The key does misses sometimes. But hey that black spot above your nose doesn't look right either.

Okay I know your next complaint, Windows 8... well it is not too bad. You will get used to it. Learn a few gestures and with good trackpad you will have the honor of educating your friends on how to use windows 8 and start convincing them to drop their iProducts and make a switch (as if they will ever!! after all they earn for apple).

Battery life is what everybody said. And I am comfortable with that. The only complain is that to replace it is a pain when time comes. Good news is that replacing battery yourself will not void the warranty. Does it matter if it wasn't covered? Hell no. Because you will most probably be replacing the battery after warranty expires in one year. If you buy additional warranty, check if they will cover battery replacement or you may end up losing your warranty. You have been warned!!!

On warranty side, A three year warranty on this thing will probably cost you about $200 with ADP. So once you pay $200 and anything happens you get back $799. But that means you effectively netted $599 to get a replacement. So save your money ($200) because after two year you will want to buy a new laptop anyway. Hey Haswell is just around the corner. Isn't it?

For those brave souls who want to install Virtual Machine. The key to get to BIOS is F2. (to save yourself time to search). If you are unable to get to BIOS after repeated shutdown and pressing F2 then you are probably just resuming windows not restarting. Use the restart option of windows 8 and then press F2 and enable Virtualization in BIOS and you will be good to go.

Will update if I notice any problem....

**UPDATE 2/1/2013 **
Spilled some coffee on the laptop. But was quick in drying it out so didn't encounter any issues. The key felt sticky for next two days but became fluid again.
The keyboard feels fine now..that I am getting used to it. So folks .. it takes some time but you will eventually forget about it.
The screen still feels very good... I work with about 30% brightness and still think it is very bright.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best computer yet, March 28, 2013
Peter (Tres Pinos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've probably bought 12 computers over the last 20 years and this is by far the absolute best. In December I bought a Dell 24" all-in-one, with a SSD, and I thought that was the best. But after having this Vizio for only 24 hours, I am in love. It really is an instant on computer (about 2 seconds) and 1 second to shut down.

The matt finish of the screen is very friendly on the eyes. My Dell has a mirror like finish and it is blinding when the sun shines in the room. Not so with the Vizio.

Out of the box the Vizio took about 10 minutes for it to set itself up. Then less than an hour to install all the Microsoft updates. The computer is super fast.

Can't comment on the track pad as I use a mouse. I'm not a fan of Windows 8, and I use a Windows 7 start button substitute.

I would have liked to see a numbers pad, some indentation of the keys on the keyboard, and maybe some better speakers (they sound tiney). And an Ethernet port would have been nice. If I remember right the last DSL modem I had installed in my vacation home (where I will be using this laptop), required the modem to be connected to a computer for the initial setup. Not sure what I will do if I switch from the telephone company to cable.

I may be leaving Dell as I now have a company that builds high quality computers (I also have 3 Vizio TV's).

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective Battery - Questionable Quality, December 13, 2012
**EDIT - April 10 2013: After deliberating for 4 months and looking at the latest 15.6" laptops, I finally settled on the HP dv6t-7300 Quad Core with 1920x1080p 15.6 inch screen. The HP is a serious powerhouse with 2.4-3.4GHz Quad Core CPU and state of the art Nvidia GT-650m 2GB graphics card. It has all the ports I wanted, and a DVD/BlueRay drive plus backlit keyboard. I ordered a 1TB hdd with it, and you can easily add a mSATA SSD (up to 480GB) if you want, providing a total of 1.48TB storage. The total cost after discount is still under $1K! The only negative is weight, the HP is 5.6lbs, but I think the additional weight is well worth it for the features I get in return.
----------------
Original Review:

Purchased this from Amazon a week ago, tried to like it, but the defective battery and questionable design choices ultimately doomed this laptop. A bit of background - I am a laptop aficionado, after all I have owned close to a hundred laptops over the years, from a 4.5" Sony Vaio UX to 17" gaming machines. I simply think if you are going to shell out a grand or more for a machine, you should expect a lot from it. Here are my observations for the CT15-A5:

Pros:

1. Thin and relatively light for a 15 inch laptop
2. Cool industrial design - striking to look at
3. Nice rubberized bottom
4. FAST Toshiba mSATA SSD (Windows experience index 8.1 -fastest I have ever seen!)
5. Nice, sharp screen with good viewing angles
6. Windows 8 really made this machine fly - boots lightning fast, shuts down quickly, a pleasure to use
7. Great WiFi - I am getting 300Mbps connection one floor up from my WiFi router, using 5GHz band. This is the best result I have ever seen amongst all the 20+ laptops I currently own.
8. Solid chassis and lid. The chassis is solid with no flex, and the lid is almost perfect - no matter how hard you press on the lid, the LCD screen will not show the slightest bit of waviness. The chassis should be very good for frequent travelers.

Cons:

1. Defective battery - this brand new laptop is already showing 13% battery wear (using battery meters), and only lasts about 3.5 hours on a full charge, instead of the advertised up to 7 hours. While I don't expect a full 7 hours, I was hoping at least 5 hours. This is really disappointing.
2. It feels a lot heavier than it looks, probably due to its large, thin form factor. When you hold the edge with one hand, the size makes it unbalanced and hence feels heavy.
3. Slow CPU/Graphics speed for a Core i7 - they killed performance by using a single channel RAM (below par graphics and memory speed that could be easily rectified by using 2x2GB instead of 1x4GB RAM)
4. Touchpad STILL not the best - difficult to get charms and double finger scrolling (yes I upgraded the driver to the latest version)
5. No backlit keyboard - would have really made the design great
6. Wrong screen color balance - too much green and red hue on the 15.6 inch display, had to adjust it in Windows calibrate color to make it look neutral
7. Proprietary AC connector - good luck trying to buy any 3rd party power accessories like AC adapters or external batteries - none will work
8. Aluminum design means it will scratch, ding and nicks easily
9. Machine is not upgradable in any way, form or shape. You are stuck with what you have.
10. Not enough ports - just two USB ports, HDMI and headphones?? Why can't they add more ports and an SD card reader like the CN15?

This is a nice, fast machine for day-to-day usage (not games), but the defective battery forced me to return it. This is really sad, as I had high hopes for this machine and was excited for its potential. However I am still in the market for a 15" laptop, and these are now my choices:

A. Sony Vaio S 15.5: Nice backlit keyboard, light 4.4lbs, internal DVD/Bluray, lots of ports, but I don't like the numeric pads that skewed the keyboard, and standard battery life is not much better at 4 hours. Around the same price as the CT15-A5. Optional sheet battery will increase the battery life to 8 hours at the expense of 0.5lbs weight and 1/2 and inch added thickness. Crummy speakers.

B. Samsung Series 9: The lightest, thinnest 15" at 3.5lbs, but no optical drive nor HD screen and pricier at $1500 average configuration, but even sexier than the Vizio. A really nice machine, but I want full HD on a 15" screen.

C. Vizio CN15-A5: power hungry 45W Core i7 runs hot (The Vaio S is 35W and the CT15-A5 is 17W), no backlit keyboard, heavier at 5.2lbs and still no optical drive, but slightly cheaper with 32GB SSD accelerated 1TB drive and more ports, same battery life, Not quite sure about this guy.

D. HP Envy 15: slightly older design, thicker and heavier, but built like a tank, nice optional full HD screen and lots of ports, may have been discontinued though. I think there is a new 15" Envy with full HD screen, lighter but weaker battery.

E. There is always the ultimate - MacBook Pro 15" Retina display laptop, but it will burn a big hole in my wallet.

Not sure which one I will get eventually... leaning towards the Sony right now, will have to get the sheet battery and live with the extra weight + thickness. Just hope I can learn to tolerate the skewed keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp!!, November 13, 2012
Update: I had to send back the computer it had 2 factory flaws one was the wireless dropping issue and the cpu fan was faulty and would make a grinding noise. But the rest of the rev view stands. Its still a good computer.

Okay this is a great computer -but has flaws here are the facts about the system.

The true battery life 4 hrs not 7 like it claims.
Battery takes a long time to charge from dead to full it takes 90 minutes.

Keyboard is smashed but very nice to type on ( having a 15 inch frame they could have spread it out and put in a numpad

The trackpad is a nightmare if you are left handed like I am, The reason why is because of Windows 8 when using your left hand ( I tend to place it towards the bottom left and when you do that it causes the screen to flip apps constantly)

I am retraining myself to work in the middle.

webcam just completely stinks.

I do not know if this is a system flaw or Windows flaw but my wireless will not stay connected it will drop quite often I have a dual channel router that runs on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz when it is connected to the 5GHz radio and the computer goes to sleep and you bring it back up it will disconnect and will automatically connect to the 2.4GHz radio
( will update once this is found out)this is the reason for the dropped star.

As for cosmetic the bottom has a rubbery nonslip type of feel and its is going to wear very fast

The Good!!

The sound is pretty good you will certainly need the SRS EQ that is built in turned on ( I found that if you use it in movie mode it sounds the best but you are able to customize it anyway you like.)

I LOVE THE NO JUNKWARE this is what sets Vizio apart from the competition.
The design is sharp "literately"
Display is beautiful just like my vizio tv.
The SSD is fast - no moving parts makes it completely silent.
Neat Charger ( automatically disables itself once battery is full ) glows green and orange when charging, green when complete, green when disconnected.

Suggestions!!
Drop price to 899.00 this will sell out.
Needs a backlit keyboard.
Needs a SD card plenty of space to do so.

VIZIO CT15-A5 15.6-Inch Thin + Light Ultrabook

3.0 out of 5 stars wi-fi issues! irksome keyboard and trackpad, February 26, 2013
E. Chang "oolong" (Houston, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
Stupid me. I was seduced by the hardware specs.Yes the screen is nice. And the i7 is great. But if you spend any extended time interfacing with your laptop, you might wonder how they could get the basic things like keyboard, trackpad and wi-fi so wrong. First, the wi-fi drops all the time. When it decides to act up, it won't go more than 3-4 minutes without dropping. Sometimes it's fine but I've since purchased a USB-ethernet adapter to ensure smooth data transfer. It's a huge annoyance.
The keyboard is also a little weird. If you don't squarely depress the keys, the stroke won't register. It's a little annoying, Then you start to realize the arrow keys are slightly misproportioned. It seems minor until you're tapping the keys and realizing your intuition about arrow keys fail on this layout. Caused me some teeth-gritting especially when you are coding.

The trackpad is unresponsive at times and wildly sensitive others. I knew of the issue before I purchased the laptop and decided to use it with a Logitech wireless mouse. However, the few times I like to use the computer in my bed or sitting on my couch, using the trackpad requires your utmost focus. Forget about selecting and dragging files around.

The irksome qualties detract from what is superficially a nice laptop. It is light, the screen looks good and the SSD is quick. But the edges are sharp and will irritate your palms, should you inadvertently rest them there. The battery life isn't great but it got crazy hot when you're using the laptop and charge it the same time. Kind of alarming.

These are just my thoughts. If you don't typically care about the finish of a product but instead the performance specs then I think this is a great buy! Bought it through MS store for $800 and it gets the job done. But these defects do get you to start thinking whether a few hundred more dollars to get a quality MacBook might've been worth the constant tug of remorse

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, Sleek, The Best UltraBook Yet, November 13, 2012
Imani (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This is a really great ultrabook - it is light, elegant and fast. The SSD boots up almost instantaneously, and the HD resolution provides amazing clarity when watching movies or video-chatting. Overall, I'm very impressed with this ultrabook, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a portable, elegant, fast and robust computer for on-the-go or office use.

VIZIO CT15-A5 15.6-Inch Thin + Light Ultrabook