on August 7, 2012
I bought this TV for $148. It is a good TV for the kitchen.

Vizio has a great picture and good stand alone sound if you do not intend to hook this TV to a sound system/bar. I have a 46" Samsung and while the picture is great, the sound is very disappointing, unusable without hooking it up to a home audio system. I have a 42" Vizio and it sounds fine.

This TV is 720p/1080i (not 1080p) but you cannot tell at this size. This picture is great, very crisp, clear and vivid.

When we bought it right out of the box we thought it had a speaker problem. We had to turn the balance all the way to the left. We asked for a return and as we liked the TV picture so much we asked for another (by the way Amazon gave us 30 days to return while shipping the new TV in 2 days). The second TV also had the same speaker issue or so we thought. After moving it to the bedroom, it did not have a speaker issue. After changing cords and eliminating causes we found it to be a problem with the Directv device. Reset the Directv box and the speaker issue was gone on both TV's.

Now we loved the TV's so much, we cancelled the return and paid for the second one.

Warning: E191va comes with only 1 (one) HDMI port, if you need two you want the E190VA.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2012
I bought this set after reading the reviews. I worried about the setup and the sound after reading about problems others had. I recieved the set about a week ago and my experience has been GREAT. I set up the stand after reading the instructions in about two minutes. What is the problem. The sound is very good and i have set it at 35% of available and can hear it clearly with and without my hearing aid. The picture is sharp, clear, and without distortion. I have a cable hookup so I use the cable companies remote with no problems. Glad i bought this set.
on October 29, 2012
as a senior citizen I wondered if this would be beyond my tech savvy-ness but there are detailed drawings that accompany the quick set-up directions. Yes the audio quality does not compare to my previous ancient stereo console unit but I can plug in speakers later ... even head phones! I also love the capability of hooking this to my computer or hitching up a flashdrive with pictures on it to have a slide show. Both the latter will require separate cord purchases but they're inexpensive and easy to find.

It took me less than 15 minutes from opening the box to having it in place and operating.

I only gave it 4 stars because I haven't had it long enough yet to say it's perfection on a stand.

I'VE SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST: if you by any chance need to contact tech support the call will get answered in 5 minutes by someone in the United States. (My call was to a woman in Utah who knew her stuff and had me up and re-running within about 30 seconds.)So, may I be so bold as to say BUY THIS PRODUCT!
on July 2, 2012
I bought this TV to be used as a travel TV for those hotels that still have non-CC units even after all these years. It is very light (8 lbs) and easily fits into the recessed part of my car trunk. First of all I don't understand at all the previous reviewer stating it took multiple people to install the base. I am a 150 lb senior citizen and it snapped together quite easily for me. Maybe the other reviewer was assembly challenged :-)
This is my second Vizio. It is top quality and has a great picture. Since I am deaf I can't say anything about the sound.
I will also be using it as a computer monitor for my Apple laptop. Haven't tried that yet as I haven't received the VGA cable yet (coming tomorrow).
on July 23, 2012
I bought this Vizio and a similar Samsung UN22D5003 TV within 2 weeks as 2 of our old small TVs quit.

Recommendation: Samsung UN22D5003 22" is better unless you need it fit between upper and lower kitchen cabinets.
1. Vizio: The case design is great for fitting between upper and lower cabinets in the kitchen.
2. Vizio: The menu design is excellent, better than Samsung . . easy to find and operate all settings.
3. Samsung: Better built-in speakers plus Analog and Digital audio output . . missing on Vizio.
4. Samsung: Slightly better picture quality, but not as important as other differences.

Vizio . . The picture quality is great. The on-screen menus are easier to use than most. We tried it with a "plain old analog signal" modulated from our Dish Satellite receiver for secondary TV's. With the TV in ZOOM mode, the picture filled the screen with almost no cropping and no noticable stretching . . and the overall picture quality was good for a plain old analog TV signal.

I am only down-rating this TV because of the fairly-poor audio quality. You may think the audio is OK if you don't do side-by-side comparison to other similar TVs. We are not looking for high fidelity of course, but the audio has a hollow resonance that makes speech less clear than it should be. Pickup your coffee cup and talk straight into it. Its not really as bad has talking into your coffee cup, but the speaker installation was not designed to dampen backside resonance from inside the case.

We watched a 1 hour drama last night where the audio production was good, but parts of the dialog were a little hard to understand because of the speakers. Bummer. Even newscasts are a little muddy where microphones are ideally positioned on the TV personalities.

Its ironic the TV has all sorts of audio enhancements in its Menu and then fails to pay better attention to speaker performance.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
I purchased the 19" version (E191VA) and I am quite happy. Got a Roku LT to go with it.

I use this in my bedroom. It is very easy to transport so I will bring it into the living room as well. Picks up many of my OTA local channels using just a paper clip. Comes in high definition with great sound as well.

Speaking of sound, this TV is loud. Which is a good thing because I did not want to purchase extra speakers or a sound bar.

One feature I enjoy is the back button. Not only does it work between channels, but also between inputs. Therefore I can watch the Roku and easily switch to live TV and back again.

For the cost of this TV, I am very very happy. It does everything that I wanted it to do, takes up little space, has loud volume, clear picture, and very efficient power consumption (also has an auto-off timer). As a bonus: TV remains very cool to the touch even after hours of use. No extra heat equals no wasted energy.

The only thing lacking is a longer power cord. Cord is too short by at least one foot.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2012
I wrote the review below after having the TV for a few days. I've had it now for just a little over a month and thought I would update. The only issue I have is the delay when turning on the TV or changing channels. When I turn the TV on there's about an 8 second delay before sound or picture appear, enough time to make one think the "on" button didn't work and you tend to press it again (turning it off). Changing channels is not much better with a 4-5 second delay. Once I adjusted myself to that annoyance (the TV won't certainly adjust to me), I appreciate the good quality sound and picture...and the price.

I read the comments about poor sound quality but decided to get it anyway. I use it in a small craft room and the sound quality is just fine. Perhaps this TV is suited for smaller areas. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
on July 13, 2012
I have had this TV for only a day but I am satisifed with it. It has better sound than most small TVs and a good picture. Only the quick start guide is included in the box, so I suggest that you go to the Vizio web site and download the full instructions. There is much valuable information but it has 45 pages so you might not want to print it. It has much better instructions for installing the base than the quick start guide.

There are two audio output ports. The green port on the back of the set will work only if the set is being used with a PC. The second port is on the left side above the USB port. If you want to add headphones or external speakers, the port of the side is the one to use.
on October 28, 2012
Bought this tv from amazon, was delivered in just two days! Setup was a breeze. The only problem we came across was the remote didn't work. Luckily, vizio support (american based) was super helpful and sent me a new remote within a week. Would have given it 5 stars, but the dud remote knocks off a star.
on September 13, 2012
We bought this so my wife can do her exercise DVDs and watch the TV in her office. No complaints whatsoever -- we have four TVs we use regularly, three are VIZIOs, and we've never had a problem. Fast and free Amazon Prime shipping were icing on the cake -- for painless Internet ordering, a great price, and two-day delivery, there was no way I was going to waste my time and burn $4 gas to make the big box store circuit.