1,074 Reviews

Published 10 months ago by Goldengate

2.0 out of 5 stars So close to being a good TV for the price...
First off the TV functions good for the most part. The screen is comparable in sharpness and lighting to the M series and it has a semi-matte finish which is a great improvement over how reflective they used to be. I really wanted to like the TV and if it were not for the folowing items I would have gladly kept it and enjoyed it.

The reason for this review is...
Published 10 months ago by Fallout

2.0 out of 5 stars So close to being a good TV for the price..., February 10, 2014

The reason for this review is to focus on why I cannot keep the TV and it is going back (and to see if anyone else has the same issues). Amazon has aready exchanged the TV for a new one of the same model and both TVs that I revcieved had the same clicking and humming issues (so I assume the issue may be wide spread).

1.) When the TV is off, as other users have noted in their review there is a constant clicking coming from what I suspect is the power supply (the rate is about 10 clicks per second). Depending on how well you can hear its very noticible when behind the TV, If the room is quiet (its in our bedroom) I can hear it from about 10 feet away. The clicking stops as soon as the TV is turned on. Both TVs that I got had this issue.

2.) When the TV is on there is a noticible hum or buzzing noise that comes from the back middle of the TV panel. It seems to be linked to the backlighting intensity. I had to turn down the backlighting to 40-50 to lessen the humming. The sound from the speakers makes it so that you cant hear the humming but once a quiet period comes up I can easily hear the humming from 10+ feet away. The sound is not coming from the speakers as I have run tests and it is coming from one of the backlighting components. Both TVs that I got had the same issue, the last one seemed louder by a little.

3.) The remote/sensor is not good at all and the area of forgiveness on where you have to point it to make it register is laughable. The first TV seemed really picky and at only worked in about a 1-2 foot radius around the bottom left of the TV (it did'nt matter on how far I stood away it just had to be pointed in that specific area. The replacement TV had a better range of about a 5-6' radius around the bottom left of the TV. I tried new batteries, nothing infront or near the sensor, nothing helped. Pretty annoying. I bought the Qwerty Vizio remote and it worked slightly better on the last set but the keyboard only works for a few select things and many of the Apps do not allow the keyboard input so its pointless, which brings be to the last issues.

4.) Maybe they will fix these with updates later, but the Smart TV Apps are archaic and missing many features. I got this model because the smart TV side was supposed to be improved with a better processor (the apps load at a decent speed improved over some other brands or older versions of Vizio). Using Youtube is a joke since it does not allow keyboard input on this App (couple that with the finiky remote and good luck typing with the bad scroll select), I had to link it to my smart phone to type but the video which played fine before became very choppy and stopped a few times when trying to use phone link to play. I was hoping to be able to get by with the TV Apps but as it is I will have to buy another Roku or Apple TV to get any resemblance of a decent user interface.

The TV would be good if it were not for these issues, I would have liked to rate it a 4 out of 5. Although after getting two sets that have the exact same issues I cannot recommend this TV. I am worried that the clicking and buzzing are signs of a faulty power supply or capacitors etc. Im going to give it a week then this second set is getting returned and I will not be getting another of the "2014 E-series B" models again.

In short, anyone who has this model please check for the clicking and humming issues decsribed above and respond to this. I want to know how many others have this issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away! God forbid that you have a problem........, August 29, 2014
Two years ago I decided to try a Vizio for our bedroom - a 47" Smart TV, and to my surprise, it turned out to be the best TV that we've ever owned. Two months ago, we needed another TV, and bought this one. It made it about 3 weeks before there was a 6" wide vertical line down the screen. One week later, half of the screen went away. I contacted Vizio, and they gave me the "standard list" of things to try - unplug it and plug it back in (really??), etc.

I was told that all returns / exchanges had to be done THROUGH VIZIO, not the place of purchase. That's when this began to get aggravating. They first requested the receipt. OK, I took a picture of the receipt and emailed it to them (per their request). A couple of days went by for them to "review" my receipt (really?). No response. I called to follow up (nightmare by the way). "OH, ok, we need you to send pictures of the TV". One showing the VIZIO light "lit up", which it would not do. I sent additional pictures of the 1/2 screen picture. A couple of days go by, no response. I called to follow up. "Oh, I see your pictures here. Let me put you on hold for a minute (17 minutes)". They guy came back and told me that it looked like I had a problem (NO S***???). He asked to put me on hold again, as he had to get a SECOND OPINION on my pictures - ??????????? WTH? After 10 minutes, I was told that I would receive a new TV. They set me up with a shipping company that would come to my house, deliver the new one, and pick up the bad one. They set it up for August 28th between 8:00-12:00 (morning). I stayed home from work, and at about 10:30, decided to give the shipping outfit (Manna) a call. "oh, sir, that's been re-scheduled for September 4th". Would've been nice for someone to tell me about this?? That was yesterday. I was going to wait until this ordeal was over to write a review, but I'm too chapped to wait. NO MORE VIZIO, NO MORE MANNA FREIGHT COMPANY. If you've read this far down, I apologize if it seems like I'm rambling, but this has not been a good product, and the service has been horrible as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, really good sound, TV is thin and light... Amazon Instant Video now works!!!!, February 10, 2014
UPDATE 4/11/14: Amazon just released this morning the new Amazon Instant Video app for this TV, which is great news. The TV now streams Amazon Prime videos... the interface is a little strange - instead of the format of the Netflix app which is full screen the Amazon Instant Video app just takes the left third of the screen... however I was able to navigate just fine and streamed a movie in crystal clear HD. (Until today, this TV displayed a "coming soon" message when you tried to access Amazon Instant Video). My original review follows below....

Overall summary: The brand-new (as of February 2014) just-released Vizio 32 inch HDTV is a huge improvement over the 2013 version (the E320i-A)VIZIO E320i-A0 32-inch 720p 60Hz LED Smart HDTV in both size (much thinner) and in sound quality. Picture quality is also excellent. With the exception of the Amazon Instant Video app (see below), the apps work well - they are fast and are updated versions to what I had on my Samsung TV that this replaced (e.g. the Netflix app is much more streamlined). Advanced features like DLNA networking need more development. No web browser that I could find but not an issue for me. Overall this is the first 5-star review I've given to a Vizio product... I am very happy with this TV!

Longer review:
I have spent the last 12 months trying to find a 32 inch TV for my small home gym. Basically I want to be able to watch Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and other internet based video offerings on this TV. I began this quest with the predecessor to this TV, the 2013 Vizio E320i-A0. I found that TV to have an acceptable picture, but the sound (just like on a 37" Vizio I purchased the year before) was TERRIBLE. I decided to "upgrade" to the Samsung UN32F5500 Samsung UN32F5500 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model) which had higher video resolution (I didn't notice) and much better sound (which I did notice). That TV worked OK until last month when Samsung released a firmware update which crashed Netflix for thousands of users (including me) and they were unable to resolve it. Amazon stood behind that TV and now I'm back to Vizio with their new 2014 model which I really love. I'm done with Samsung and was happy to see that Vizio is rated #1 in customer satisfaction (no, I don't work for them, I just love my new TV ha ha)

Pros:
- Picture: WOW, just an amazing, clear, bright picture. Yes I know it's 720p vs 1080p but it doesn't matter to me.... it looks better to me than the Samsung which was a 1080p. Blacks are black. Motion is handled well. The edges are the same as the center near as I can tell. It has different video modes (game, vivid, etc) so you can set it how you want it. Note that the factory default is energy saving and they recommend other video modes for the best picture. And speaking of energy savings, the rating says this uses $7 a year, down from $9 last year.
- Sound: VERY decent. Note I'm not going to say this is surround sound with big bass and Captain Kirk whizzing by your head. For that you need an external sound system. But the tinny AM-radio sound of prior year's models is replaced by very very decent sound. There also different sound modes in the settings area to allow you to customize. Sound and picture are very subjective but I'm happy with both and I sure wasn't with my other two Vizio's. (The first Vizio I added a sound bar, the second Vizio I returned for the disastrous Samsung model mentioned above).
- Set up / etc: This TV is significantly lighter than last year's model. And the narrow bezel means that basically it's almost ALL Screen you're looking at... you don't even notice the very small frame around it. Even the box this comes in is smaller than the 32" Saumsung box ( I still have it so I can return that model ) and the 32" box from the Vizio last year. Literally I can lift this TV with one hand -- it's that light. It was a pleasure to install. Speaking of installation, you turn it on and it immediately guides you through a few basic questions (language, how to you get your TV service), it scans some channels and then BAM it's up and running. The Samsung spent almost an hour scanning channels (this TV is plugged into digital cable directly so it only gets 1 free channel) and then another 20 minutes deleting the scrambled ones. The set up on this is very intuitive and FAST.
- The remote. This is the same as least year's remote. No back light. No big buttons. But you know what, I like it. My Samsung remote had a backlight and looked like a 1990s-era cell phone, 12 inches long and tons of buttons that I never used. Yet it was missing a few things this remote has, namely hot key buttons to go straight to Netflix, M-Go and Amazon video. I love those buttons. Also this remote is light, easy to hold, and when it falls it is sturdy (yep, already dropped it on a hard floor, no damage). Even though the buttons are small, they are logically laid out and I found myself not looking down after a few minutes of using it.
- Screen mirroring (sort of..): New for 2014 is what Vizio is calling "Second Screen Interactivity" which means that supported apps (right now it's just Netflix and Youtube) allow you to stream videos to the TV similar to Apple's Airplay functionality. You see a little icon on the screen as you are playing a video in one of these apps and it then plays on your TV. Right now this is limited to just those two apps and does not work with videos stored on your ios device or with other apps (e.g. Amazon Instant video app). I have only tested this on the iPhone but Vizio's materials say this also works on Android devices. I hope more apps take advantage of this feature in the future.
- Online user manual: Normally I don't get excited about an online user manual but this one is clear and easy to navigate. 62 pages long.

The cons:
- As of this writing, when you go to the Amazon Instant Video app you get this message: "The Amazon Instant Video application is currently unavailable while we are working hard to bring you an updated, feature rich application. For more details, visit amazon.com/videohelp" I'm guessing / hoping this will be fixed soon, but not too cool to ship a TV with an Amazon button where Amazon doesn't work. I spoke with Vizio (great customer service via phone by the way, short hold times and good representative) and they said that Amazon is updating the app to comply with FCC requirements around closed captioning. I spoke with Amazon and they said they are working on the app but have no date of resolution. So for now, no Amazon Instant video on this TV. I PROMISE that when they fix this bug I will come back and put an update RIGHT HERE.
- DLNA sharing. As you might know, DLNA is a standard which allows media devices on the same home network to "see" each other and exchange files. So for example, this TV uses DLNA to see my movies I have stored on my computer. While Vizio gets a plus for the TV immediately seeing the rest of the network and being able to browse files on my computer, it gets a big negative for not being able to play video files that my Roku can. It was able to play some .avi files but struggled with .mp4 and .mpg files. In some cases it displayed a message that the "codec is not supported" and in others it just ignored "play" commands. I tried using my PlayOn server to see if the encoding that Playon performs would help this TV play the aforementioned files. Nope. In this area Samsung was stronger and Roku is still the best at being able to play anything you throw at it.
- No web browser. Most of the Smart TV's I've used have rudimentary browers. I haven't found on one here so far. I wouldn't use my TV to browse the web but some might be looking for that feature. I will keep looking for it and will update this review if I find one but a Google search indicates this is a long-standing yet unfulfilled feature request.
- No update feature. I assume this TV downloads updates but I've searched all over the menus and I cannot find an "update now" feature for firmware or apps. This might be a plus if it's all seamlessly automatic in the background.

That's it. This is a phenomenal TV at a great price. Vizio has come a long way from last year's model in picture quality and especially sound.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE Feb 20th: As of today, the Amazon app still doesn't work.. TV still displays a "under development" message. Also I have not had the issues with the TV cutting off that some others have had... that concerns me. I hope that doesn't start or else this goes down to 1 star!

UPDATE March 6th: Still no Amazon Instant Video and they have taken all references to Amazon Instant Video off the product page... not a good sign. I'm updating the headline of this review to reflect the lack of Amazon as this seems like it could be a permanent change? Strange since there is an Amazon button on the remote.

UPDATE April 10th: Amazon still says they are working on this app. I just bought a second unit of this model for my sister and it has the same Amazon issue. ALSO the wireless setup was problematic -- until I plugged it into an ethernet (hard wire) connection and let it update.. then wireless works GREAT. So if you are going to do a WIFI only install, be sure to turn it on and let it sit about 10 mins connected directly to the internet to download new firmware.

1.0 out of 5 stars TV cuts off at Random times, February 18, 2014
After reading several positive reviews of the 2013 32 inch Vizio, I bought the 2014 model. While the TV has many good points, I am going return it because it spontaneously goes off very frequently. Apparently, this is a manufacturing issue. I would not reccoemend it until Vizio has resolved this issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uggh, March 5, 2014
This is a beautiful TV. Great picture, lightweight, but that's where it appears to stop.

I noticed almost immediately that the sound alternates high to low, much more than ANY TV I've ever owned or watched. I use this in a quieter bedroom setting so this makes it unacceptable.

Then 2-3 weeks after purchase (literally 4 hours of usage) it started turning itself on. I thought it might have been a fluke, but after the third time I called Vizio. It took me a couple of calls to get through to the right person (expected in 2014???) and they had me reset the entire thing to factory. Unplug and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then plug back in and go through the menu to do a reset to factory. This means re-entering everything (wireless internet password, application usernames and passwords, etc.) and you have to rescan the channels (5 minutes of waiting). They said that might fix it otherwise they'd have to send someone out to check it out (he said possibly a power board or some other hardware issue).

Uh, yeah... No thanks. This will be going back. Too many issues for 4 hours of usage.

UPDATE: next day... TV turned itself on again. Crazy.

UPDATE 2 - the following day: Just noticed this morning that the TV has a clicking noise coming from it while it's off. I can hear it from about 5-10 feet away. Once you hear it you can't un-hear it. It's back in it's box and headed back...

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS TV! A defective product is being sold on Amazon!, December 11, 2014
THIS TV IS JUNK! Do not buy. I repeat, do not buy this TV. I ordered it with high hopes and eagerly set it up and plugged it into my home network. I was so pumped to watch Netflix directly on my TV. Three minutes into an episode of Dexter, a high-pitched hissing noise, a blank screen, and the power on the TV goes out. My heart sunk and I dreaded the thought of having to deal with parting from my dear new Vizio so soon. I reset the TV and tried again, same result, over and over. The next day I began the return process and put in an order for a comparable sized TV with similar features from a more reputable *cough cough sony cough* brand. There are tons of reviews all over the Internet and Amazon regarding this problem with this and other makes of Vizio TVs. Vizio offers no solution... It's a lot of work to deal with a return, UPS pickups, headaches, taking a day off from work to be around for a delivery, and disappointment, etc. Just spend the couple of extra dollars (50 or so) and get a TV from a brand that know will be around tomorrow (Samsung, Sony, etc.) and have the peace of mind knowing that you wont be sold a defective product. I hope you take my advice and run! not walk away from this so called "deal" of the season.

1.0 out of 5 stars TV shuts off automatically and randomly, July 29, 2014
I wish I could give this TV 0 star. The TV just shuts itself off RANDOMLY when I watch Netflix. I tried to kill all the timers in the setting menu but to no avail.
DO NOT buy this TV if you live in the 21st century and want to watch Netflix or any other streaming app.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, horrible television., October 28, 2014
This t.v. shuts off at random while I'm using basically any app, will refuse to turn on at times without me having to unplug and re-plug it in, and theYouTube app in particular is just not good at all. I have yo chromecast YouTube for it to even have some semblance of working. I'm gonna have to send this t.v. back and probably by another type. It's unfortunate, the price and picture are great, even the sound, but I can't watch a full episode of a show on the Netflix app without it just shutting off. And that's apart from the loud humming behind the thing. Anything but smart, and a huge thorn in my side.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vertical white line won't go away out of the box, July 21, 2014
I have had to return two of this model out of the box because the screen shows a vertical white line from top to bottom about 3in in from the left side. It is a white/blue line about 2mm wide. Vizio tech service could hot help me and we tried everything to make it go away. Both TVs had the exact same problem. You can find many methods to fix this problem on the internet. Most of them involve tapping or banging the tv on the edge or on the screen. Nothing fixed the problem. I will order a more expensive one I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great choice - and some tips, August 25, 2014
This review is from: VIZIO E280i-B1 28-Inch 720p 60Hz Smart LED HDTV (Electronics)
I did quite a bit of research before I chose this and it really is a great package, as well as being part of the series that The Wirecutter rated as "Best Small TV" (March 2014).

The picture quality is excellent - plenty of punch in the brightness and contrast-ratio, where it really counts. This is helped along on many fronts including the semi-matte surface of the screen (to help eliminate reflections) and a list of preset picture modes that includes two calibrated ones (one regular, one for dark rooms). That's a nice touch and makes it easy to get a great picture out of the box. If you do want to tweak the picture further, they did a very thorough job of providing you with every option imaginable - including things like adjusting how the backlight operates and how black the blacks are. They layered it so that the more geeky options are under Advanced and Professional menus, meaning they're available for anyone that wants to play with them but don't detract from the usability for everyone else.

The physical design is very well thought out. I noticed that a lot of TVs this size come with tall pedestal-type stands, which is something I didn't want for my chosen location. Also, being low-slung means that cables and other things behind the TV can be easily hidden. The screen is still raised a bit because the speakers are front-firing rather than pointing down from under the screen. Since flat screens don't leave room for big speakers, the audio needs all the help it can get. The sound quality here is solid. And, again, a good set of presets with the ability to adjust further if you ever wanted to.

Tips:

Firstly, don't worry if you have problems with the apps or app launcher when you get the TV - they're probably out of date. This will automatically correct itself once the TV is connected to the internet and left on standby for a while. If you want to force an update, click the 'V' button to bring up the app bar, select Yahoo! Profile, System Settings, Restore Factory Settings. Despite what it sounds like, this will not affect any of your settings other than the apps, which will download their current versions. And don't worry about the Yahoo! thing either - this TV is simply using Yahoo's Smart TV software - you don't need a Yahoo! account or anything else to use it.

Secondly, the USB port - while intended for showing pictures, movies, etc from a USB drive - can also be used to power USB devices. Your mileage may vary depending on the power needs of your device, but I had no problem powering an Indigo Bluetooth Transmitter from the TV. Another nice feature.

And finally, as of August 2014 the built-in Amazon app had been not working, working, then not working again. This is an Amazon app thing - not a VIZIO thing. I expect an updated Amazon app to come along soon, but if you're desperate then you might want to look at adding a Fire TV or something similar.

All in all, this TV is a great choice that I'm very happy with.