Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Size: 40-InchChange
Price:$269.99 - $1,218.89

on November 20, 2013
Not happy with this TV and not happy with Vizio. My mom bought this TV for us on August 31st. Approximately one month later, it would start to just randomly shut itself off then restart. I did some googling and discovered that this is a common issue for Vizio TVs. (We'll be sitting here watching Netflix or regular TV and all of a sudden the screen will go black then the "V" logo will appear and it will be on regular TV. It even logs me out of Netflix completely.) I tried unplugging the TV and holding down the power button and then plugging it into a different outlet. That didn't correct the problem. On October 26th, I sent an email to Vizio to request that they fix or replace the TV. They suggested doing the same thing I had already done (unplug, hold power button down, etc.). I tried that again and the TV went a whole 2 days without restarting.

So I emailed them again on November 14th and they gave me a customer service number to call. I called that number today and the guy on the phone told me that it would take about 5-6 days to repair and they would send someone out. Then he realized that the TV would have to be sent in and was going to schedule that. So basically they wanted me to send in this defective TV and then sit here with no TV for the next two weeks while they fix it (one week for shipping back and forth, one week for repairs.) This isn't acceptable, especially for a product that apparently has this problem a lot and is clearly defective. It's a $250 TV. Shipping and repairing it would cost that much. I just want the stupid thing replaced. Why should we have to sit here and go two weeks without out when the problem is on their end? I can get my car repaired in less time than that.

Bottom line: don't buy this as your main or only TV unless you're prepared to spend a couple of weeks without it so it can be repaired.

UPDATE January 2014: In spite of many attempts to get this resolved with Vizio, I have reached a dead end. They tell me to send a copy of the receipt and when I do, they tell me that large files have to be sent to a "photos at vizio dot com" email address. I've done that twice now. The first time, I received a reply that no cases with my incident number or email address can be found even though I used the exact same case number and email address as I've been using for over two months and numerous emails. The second time, I received absolutely no response.

Vizio's idea of customer service seems to be "ignore the customer and eventually they'll give up." They don't care if they lose a customer because another gullible one will come along.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2013
This is an excellent no-frills smart TV. the picture is excellent and the sound is surprisingly good. While it is missing some features and has fairly limited menu options the excellent picture quality and built in apps make this well worth the low price.

After living with the TV for less than a week my main complaints are:
- can't rename channels
- no channel favorites
- firmware updates seemed to wipe out most of the customization I'd done to the apps and widget dock
- cheap remote without lighted buttons

- great picture
- decent sound (I had assumed I'd immediately need a sound bar but have decided I can wait for now)
- built in Netflix, Amazon, etc.
- attractive design with very thin bezel around the screen
- large screen size for a low price
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
I had a 50" LG Plasma for 4 years until the switch unexpectedly broke. Given the age of the set and that it went through multiple moves where the packers didn't treat anything gently, it seemed best to find a replacement. The room that the plasma was in has a lot of windows and a huge skylight,which meant that the Plasma was almost unwatchable when the sun was out - the reflections off the glass were severe. I suppose I could have invested in blackout blinds, or bricked in all the windows but I'm not a fan of the dungeon aesthetic.

So, I figured a LED LCD screen would be good to try.

1./ Price - $650 delivered (Prime) is pretty decent.
2./ Reflections - this screen is very visible even in bright light, which is great if you don't live in a dungeon or bonus dungeon.
3./ Smart TV - has the basic apps to watch Prime, Netflix, etc.
4./ Good looking - it has a narrow bezel which enhances the viewing experience. I am not sure what that's all about but people who come round say it.
5./ Brand - I know its a 'budget' brand but I've yet to meet someone say they regretted buying one of these things. :
6./ Image quality - surprisingly good. OK its not a plasma but if you calibrate it you get surprisingly good black levels. I don't play games so I'm not sure if it blurs when you're doing the wild thing with your boyfriends on Call of Duty 15 (no disrespect intended).
7./ Good sound for a panel- checked it briefly before plugging in the 5.1 system.

1./ In a dark room it is not as vibrant as a plasma. Then again, the super high end LCDs aren't either, despite the hype - and this is not super high end at all.
2./ It's apparently eco-friendly which means it's probably related to Al Gore and the Sierra Clubi some nefarious way.
3./ Thing weighs as much as a plasma - seriously.What's up with that?
4./ It's a bit thick but then so are all LCDs. Not Beyonce thick but there it is.
5./ Takes about 15 seconds to 'boot up'. Doesn't bother me but if you're a tier-one, high-speed low-drag, spec ops couch commando this is going to compromise your tv watching mission.

Here are some settings I stole earlier. They work well.

Picture Mode "custom"

Color temp "Cool" default set

Advanced Picture
Noise Red "low"
MPEG NR "low"
Color Enhancement "Rich Color"
Adaptive Luma "medium"
Film Mode "off"
Smart Dimming "on"
Ambient Light Sensor "off"
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2013
Bought this TV after a lot of research looking for the best bang for the buck on a bedroom TV. TV's picture is AWESOME! My cable connection is just basic standard def, but still looks good. (I tried some over the air HD signals for a little while and it was an awesome picture.) I've streamed Netflix in HD and it looks very good. I still had to use my Comcast digital converter box (not real happy about that, but it's ok).

The one BIG issue you MAY run into is with the wireless connection to your router. I could not get the TV to connect wirelessly to my router at first. I have a basic Netgear wireless G router (WGR-614). Googled the issue and saw numerous reports from others about incompatibility between Netgear routers and Vizio TV's. Tried some of the solutions to no avail. Finally what I figured out is that the TV would not connect using WPA2-PSK (AES). I had to set my router to use both WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES) and the TV finally connected using the WPA-PSK (TKIP) security! The tip off that it was going to work was when I was in the on-screen keyboard screen entering the wireless passphrase it showed "WPA-PSK" above the passphrase entry box. Making this security change on my router is somewhat of a security risk, but in the rural area I live in I didn't mind. You should be aware of the possible security risk where you are if you run into the same problem.

Once I connected I tested out the Netflix app. It connected to my account and streamed my first test movie just fine (showed flipping between medium HD & high HD quality) with just some slight buffering as it got started. I haven't played much with other apps yet to report on them.

The remote does have tiny buttons, but it's not too awful for me. We have another Vizio TV and we are used to the Vizio menus.

All in all I think this was a good purchase. I knocked down a star due to the frustration of getting a wireless connection and the necessary downgrade in my router's security.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2013
I purchased this for our bedroom with a wall mount. I mounted this about 2 inches down from the ceiling, which gives it about 6' 4" of clearance under it on a standard 7' 10" ceiling hight.... perfect as the tallest person is me at 6'.... put a downward angle on the screen. Perfect for watch late night in bed. The TV has are great picture, remember on a smaller TV 720p is just great, anything more and you're waisting your money. The 60Hz refresh rate is also fine on a smaller TV. The benifit of this TV, which is hard to find in this size, is its fully WiFi enabled with all of the apps that are good for me (Netflix, Amazon Prime Streaming, Vudu and Hulu Plus...... there are 24 pages of internet programming that can be installed. The only two that I use that are lacking are HBO to Go and Starz to Go.... This is a really nice purchase for the bedroom.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2013
This tv has a good picture. The wireless functionality is almost useless. With five bars and a 300 Mbps router 5 feet in clear view, the wireless keeps dropping. When it drops the tv locks up and you have to cycle power to it to reconnect. All of my other devices of different manufacture; two different cells phones, a wireless printer, a laptop, all work with each other at the same time, on this router flawlessly (and yes my router has the latest firmware). However this tv does not. I talked to Vizio tech support and they want to blame my router that has worked flawlessly for the past two years. The vizio tech support suggested that I drop my network encryption and see if that helps. If I cannot have my wireless network protected and use this tv on it, then the tv is worthless to me. Returned.

Also something else to think about: the "Vizio apps" are Yahoo apps. Consider the current financial situation at Yahoo Inc. They have been on shaky ground for years, and now they are scaling back support for many of their services. I would not be surprised if these apps are useless in a year because they make Yahoo no money and they are no longer supported.
review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2012
I've read a lot of reviews before deciding on this HDTV.This HDTV offers a superb value for anyone looking for a Smart TV that has solid picture quality for 299.00.There are a lot of 32 inch TVs with neither.I included a review from David Katzmaier Senior Editor from CNET that has reviewed this TV.Type CNET and enter E320i-A0 in the search bar and enjoy the review[...] and I included more information from VIZIO. Type VIZIO and enter E320i-A0 in the search bar and enjoy[...]. Even though it's a 32 inch TV you'll get a lot more screen real estate than you realize.Personally anyone can spend more,but why.I wasn't looking for a 1080P 3DTV and at 299.00 I am able to afford it.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2013
In general - if you want quality - you usually don't get it cheap. But with VIZIO - specially with this specific model - it's great in every way, and still priced REALLY LOW - specially considering all the features included!

I have always bought higher end TVs - by Samsung & Sony. They do deliver quality - but their prices are also on the much higher side. I needed to buy another TV - for my basement den/office. I did not want to spend much - as my primary TVs were in the living room & bedroom - both LEDs - one by Sony, one by Samsung. After checking out a lot of reviews - and even going to Wallmart / Bestbuy etc to actually watch this VIZIO playing side by side with other TVs, I decided to go for this TV.

Well, to keep it short, this TV has EVERYTHING :

- Superb Picture Quality.

- Really pure Whites : Almost none of the low/medium price TVs are able to deliver proper whites. But this one produces really accurate whites.

- Really deep blacks. OK - perhaps not AS deep as those high end LEDs with local dimming, but no casual viewer can tell the difference. I actually do look very carefully - but even I will not be able to casually notice the difference. Infact, when blacks are REALLY deep - there is a problem too - details in the dark areas of the picture are rendered completely black too - destroying picture details I actually prefer a level of darkness not intensely black.

- SMART TV Options : It has them all ! ....Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, etc etc. The SMART OPTIONs INTERFACE is slightly slow to maneuver, but once the videos are started - they play flawlessly. Connecting to my wireless network was easy.

- REMOTE : Well, if you are going to be extensively using the smart feature - for using with Youtube / Netflix etc - you may want to buy a remote which comes with a QWERTY keyboard on the reverse side. These are available really cheap - on Amazon or eBay. I bought a used one for just over $10 - and it works perfectly. The remote included has everything - but lacks the QWERTY keyboard.

- SOUND : Sound is good - loud & clear - vocals are clearly heard. However, if you are seriously into great sound quality - you may want to buy & connect an additional sound-bar, or an external sound system.

I set the picture to VIVID - with GAME MODE enabled. That got me the best picture quality as per my taste. You will have to play around with the settings for a while to get the right picture quality. Out-of-the-box settings are not optimum.

120Hz is claimed - though it is not a true 120hz. I have SAMSUNG'S high end 120hz TV - and though there is a little difference in very fast motion - but you have to actually look for it to notice it.

Overall - for approx $400 (including shipping!) - this is a SUPERB DEAL & a SUPERB TV ! Specially as your secondary TV, or TV for the kid's room.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2012
Just got the TV yesterday and hooked it up this morning for the Macy's parade! Amazing is all I have to say. Install is easy - just attach the base if you are not wall mounting. Took about 10 minutes from box to watching TV. The apps are what make this entire thing so worth while. Before we were streaming video through demand with our blueray player - now you can stream right from the TV, which makes it seamless. You can also watch TV on the side while browsing for a movie to stream. I love the technology.

The thin rim on this TV also makes the profile smaller and increases the viewing area.

Best 2012 purchase and I didn't even have to leave the house!
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2013
This is an incredibly well designed 24-inch Smart TV with a stunning picture, slim profile, plenty of useful apps, and a low price. The only thing holding it back from being a perfect 5-star TV is the lack of a QWERTY remote to make proper use of the apps and having only 1 HDMI connection.

All black with a very slim bezel and less than 2" total depth. This thing is pretty sexy, especially for a "budget" TV. The stand will make some happy, other no so much. It's basically a fixed picture frame style where the TV itself sits directly on whatever surface you have it on. This gives it more of an all-in-one PC appearance than that of a TV. It sits at a fixed angle that I didn't care for at first, but it's actually the perfect angle for sitting on a kitchen counter, which is where I have it. At any rate, I like the design as does my fiancee. It looks much more high-end than its price would indicate. At less than 8 lbs and with a VESA 100 mounting pattern, you could easily and inexpensively mount this pretty much anywhere.

Setting up the TV itself took about 5 minutes. Unboxed it, plugged it into the wall and cable box, turned it on and set up the WiFi. Everything worked perfectly. The picture calibration out of the box on "normal" was one of the most accurate default picture representations I've ever seen. I've been seeing this comment a lot with Vizio's new E-series line. This is rare, as I usually spend between 15 and 30 minutes tweaking the picture settings. About 2 minutes with this one and I was happy. Logging into the apps was more challenging than it should have been because Vizio inexplicably doesn't include their nifty little QWERTY remote with this set. More on that in the Apps section below. All-in-all...pretty easy to set up. The lack of a 2nd HDMI port bothers me a bit. It's 2013 and everything connects via HDMI. Add a 2nd port, Vizio.

The picture on this TV is stunning with vibrant colors and deeper blacks than I expected from an edge lit LED setup. The slim bezel really helps the picture pop and, as I noted above, the default picture settings are very accurate. There are several picture mode presets, including an eye-popping "vibrant" setting for those preferring boosted color saturation. I've never seen a TV of this size at any price point with a better picture.

This set has stereo 2W front-firing speakers built-in which can be set to mono, stereo, or a simulated surround setting. If you're going to be gaming or watching movies on this set, you'll want a sound bar or a decent 2.1/3.1 setup, for everyone else these built-in speakers will suffice. When set on the simulated surround mode the sound stage is surprisingly wide to the point where it will occasionally bounce a sound so that is seems to be coming from behind you. It's nothing earth-shattering and there is no real bass, as expected, but as far as built-in TV speakers, they do a pretty good job. For my kitchen use of this TV, they're perfectly serviceable.

I have been waiting for this TV specifically because it's a 24" 1080p LED Smart TV. It is currently the only 24" Smart TV on the market. The apps available are most of the ones you would hope for; Netflix, Amazon video, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Rhapsody, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Notably missing is HBO Go and, neither of which are currently available on any Vizio TV. The apps that are available respond quickly, and most can run while the current program is playing (you can tweet while watching the game, for example). With all of these great apps, I was absolutely floored that Vizio chose not to include it's QWERTY remote with this TV. It's a puzzlingly stupid decision as the lack of this QWERTY remote makes using the apps unnecessarily difficult. Once you're logged in to all of your apps, basic searching is OK, as the included remote is functional and responsive, but the lack of the QWERTY keyboard on the back makes using Facebook and Twitter highly unlikely, which is a shame because otherwise they are solid apps.

The picture quality, high-end design touches, and quality apps more than make up for the lack of QWERTY remote and single HDMI port. If you're looking or a Smart TV for a kitchen, bedroom, or dorm room, this set is a stunner that's easy on the wallet. This is my 4th Vizio TV dating back 6 years and all of them function perfectly and without a single issue, so this is a trustworthy brand. If you're on the fence, go get it. You won't be sorry.

I purchased this QWERTY remote: New! Original VIZIO XRV1TV Qwerty keyboard remote for M420SV M470SV M550SV M420SL M470SL M550SL M420SV M470SV M550SV M370SR M420SR M420KD E551VA internet TV---30 days warranty! and it works perfectly with the E241i-A1 in spite of Vizio's rude Chat rep, Stormi, saying it would not. It's $10 well spent.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse