2,421 Reviews
 (1,282)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value
This is an excellent no-frills smart TV. the picture is excellent and the sound is surprisingly good. While it is missing some features and has fairly limited menu options the excellent picture quality and built in apps make this well worth the low price.

After living with the TV for less than a week my main complaints are:
- can't rename channels...
Published 21 months ago by Hornmann

Published 11 months ago by April

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, January 19, 2013

After living with the TV for less than a week my main complaints are:
- can't rename channels
- no channel favorites
- firmware updates seemed to wipe out most of the customization I'd done to the apps and widget dock
- cheap remote without lighted buttons

Pros
- great picture
- decent sound (I had assumed I'd immediately need a sound bar but have decided I can wait for now)
- built in Netflix, Amazon, etc.
- attractive design with very thin bezel around the screen
- large screen size for a low price

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive image for the price, April 26, 2013
LFP (London, England) - See all my reviews
I had a 50" LG Plasma for 4 years until the switch unexpectedly broke. Given the age of the set and that it went through multiple moves where the packers didn't treat anything gently, it seemed best to find a replacement. The room that the plasma was in has a lot of windows and a huge skylight,which meant that the Plasma was almost unwatchable when the sun was out - the reflections off the glass were severe. I suppose I could have invested in blackout blinds, or bricked in all the windows but I'm not a fan of the dungeon aesthetic.

So, I figured a LED LCD screen would be good to try.

Pros:

1./ Price - $650 delivered (Prime) is pretty decent.
2./ Reflections - this screen is very visible even in bright light, which is great if you don't live in a dungeon or bonus dungeon.
3./ Smart TV - has the basic apps to watch Prime, Netflix, etc.
4./ Good looking - it has a narrow bezel which enhances the viewing experience. I am not sure what that's all about but people who come round say it.
5./ Brand - I know its a 'budget' brand but I've yet to meet someone say they regretted buying one of these things. :
6./ Image quality - surprisingly good. OK its not a plasma but if you calibrate it you get surprisingly good black levels. I don't play games so I'm not sure if it blurs when you're doing the wild thing with your boyfriends on Call of Duty 15 (no disrespect intended).
7./ Good sound for a panel- checked it briefly before plugging in the 5.1 system.

Cons

1./ In a dark room it is not as vibrant as a plasma. Then again, the super high end LCDs aren't either, despite the hype - and this is not super high end at all.
2./ It's apparently eco-friendly which means it's probably related to Al Gore and the Sierra Clubi some nefarious way.
3./ Thing weighs as much as a plasma - seriously.What's up with that?
4./ It's a bit thick but then so are all LCDs. Not Beyonce thick but there it is.
5./ Takes about 15 seconds to 'boot up'. Doesn't bother me but if you're a tier-one, high-speed low-drag, spec ops couch commando this is going to compromise your tv watching mission.

Here are some settings I stole earlier. They work well.

Picture Mode "custom"

Color temp "Cool" default set

Advanced Picture
Noise Red "low"
MPEG NR "low"
Color Enhancement "Rich Color"
Adaptive Luma "medium"
Film Mode "off"
Smart Dimming "on"
Ambient Light Sensor "off"

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective product, search Google for "Vizio TV randomly reboots" before buying., November 20, 2013
April (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
Not happy with this TV and not happy with Vizio. My mom bought this TV for us on August 31st. Approximately one month later, it would start to just randomly shut itself off then restart. I did some googling and discovered that this is a common issue for Vizio TVs. (We'll be sitting here watching Netflix or regular TV and all of a sudden the screen will go black then the "V" logo will appear and it will be on regular TV. It even logs me out of Netflix completely.) I tried unplugging the TV and holding down the power button and then plugging it into a different outlet. That didn't correct the problem. On October 26th, I sent an email to Vizio to request that they fix or replace the TV. They suggested doing the same thing I had already done (unplug, hold power button down, etc.). I tried that again and the TV went a whole 2 days without restarting.

So I emailed them again on November 14th and they gave me a customer service number to call. I called that number today and the guy on the phone told me that it would take about 5-6 days to repair and they would send someone out. Then he realized that the TV would have to be sent in and was going to schedule that. So basically they wanted me to send in this defective TV and then sit here with no TV for the next two weeks while they fix it (one week for shipping back and forth, one week for repairs.) This isn't acceptable, especially for a product that apparently has this problem a lot and is clearly defective. It's a $250 TV. Shipping and repairing it would cost that much. I just want the stupid thing replaced. Why should we have to sit here and go two weeks without out when the problem is on their end? I can get my car repaired in less time than that.

Bottom line: don't buy this as your main or only TV unless you're prepared to spend a couple of weeks without it so it can be repaired.

UPDATE January 2014: In spite of many attempts to get this resolved with Vizio, I have reached a dead end. They tell me to send a copy of the receipt and when I do, they tell me that large files have to be sent to a "photos at vizio dot com" email address. I've done that twice now. The first time, I received a reply that no cases with my incident number or email address can be found even though I used the exact same case number and email address as I've been using for over two months and numerous emails. The second time, I received absolutely no response.

Vizio's idea of customer service seems to be "ignore the customer and eventually they'll give up." They don't care if they lose a customer because another gullible one will come along.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome picture, but watch out on Wireless Connectivity!, January 27, 2013
Bought this TV after a lot of research looking for the best bang for the buck on a bedroom TV. TV's picture is AWESOME! My cable connection is just basic standard def, but still looks good. (I tried some over the air HD signals for a little while and it was an awesome picture.) I've streamed Netflix in HD and it looks very good. I still had to use my Comcast digital converter box (not real happy about that, but it's ok).

The one BIG issue you MAY run into is with the wireless connection to your router. I could not get the TV to connect wirelessly to my router at first. I have a basic Netgear wireless G router (WGR-614). Googled the issue and saw numerous reports from others about incompatibility between Netgear routers and Vizio TV's. Tried some of the solutions to no avail. Finally what I figured out is that the TV would not connect using WPA2-PSK (AES). I had to set my router to use both WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES) and the TV finally connected using the WPA-PSK (TKIP) security! The tip off that it was going to work was when I was in the on-screen keyboard screen entering the wireless passphrase it showed "WPA-PSK" above the passphrase entry box. Making this security change on my router is somewhat of a security risk, but in the rural area I live in I didn't mind. You should be aware of the possible security risk where you are if you run into the same problem.

Once I connected I tested out the Netflix app. It connected to my account and streamed my first test movie just fine (showed flipping between medium HD & high HD quality) with just some slight buffering as it got started. I haven't played much with other apps yet to report on them.

The remote does have tiny buttons, but it's not too awful for me. We have another Vizio TV and we are used to the Vizio menus.

All in all I think this was a good purchase. I knocked down a star due to the frustration of getting a wireless connection and the necessary downgrade in my router's security.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Smart TV, June 3, 2013
T. Gaydos "Tom G." (King of Prussia, PA) - See all my reviews
This is an incredibly well designed 24-inch Smart TV with a stunning picture, slim profile, plenty of useful apps, and a low price. The only thing holding it back from being a perfect 5-star TV is the lack of a QWERTY remote to make proper use of the apps and having only 1 HDMI connection.

DESIGN

All black with a very slim bezel and less than 2" total depth. This thing is pretty sexy, especially for a "budget" TV. The stand will make some happy, other no so much. It's basically a fixed picture frame style where the TV itself sits directly on whatever surface you have it on. This gives it more of an all-in-one PC appearance than that of a TV. It sits at a fixed angle that I didn't care for at first, but it's actually the perfect angle for sitting on a kitchen counter, which is where I have it. At any rate, I like the design as does my fiancee. It looks much more high-end than its price would indicate. At less than 8 lbs and with a VESA 100 mounting pattern, you could easily and inexpensively mount this pretty much anywhere.

SET UP

Setting up the TV itself took about 5 minutes. Unboxed it, plugged it into the wall and cable box, turned it on and set up the WiFi. Everything worked perfectly. The picture calibration out of the box on "normal" was one of the most accurate default picture representations I've ever seen. I've been seeing this comment a lot with Vizio's new E-series line. This is rare, as I usually spend between 15 and 30 minutes tweaking the picture settings. About 2 minutes with this one and I was happy. Logging into the apps was more challenging than it should have been because Vizio inexplicably doesn't include their nifty little QWERTY remote with this set. More on that in the Apps section below. All-in-all...pretty easy to set up. The lack of a 2nd HDMI port bothers me a bit. It's 2013 and everything connects via HDMI. Add a 2nd port, Vizio.

PICTURE

The picture on this TV is stunning with vibrant colors and deeper blacks than I expected from an edge lit LED setup. The slim bezel really helps the picture pop and, as I noted above, the default picture settings are very accurate. There are several picture mode presets, including an eye-popping "vibrant" setting for those preferring boosted color saturation. I've never seen a TV of this size at any price point with a better picture.

SOUND

This set has stereo 2W front-firing speakers built-in which can be set to mono, stereo, or a simulated surround setting. If you're going to be gaming or watching movies on this set, you'll want a sound bar or a decent 2.1/3.1 setup, for everyone else these built-in speakers will suffice. When set on the simulated surround mode the sound stage is surprisingly wide to the point where it will occasionally bounce a sound so that is seems to be coming from behind you. It's nothing earth-shattering and there is no real bass, as expected, but as far as built-in TV speakers, they do a pretty good job. For my kitchen use of this TV, they're perfectly serviceable.

APPS

I have been waiting for this TV specifically because it's a 24" 1080p LED Smart TV. It is currently the only 24" Smart TV on the market. The apps available are most of the ones you would hope for; Netflix, Amazon video, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Rhapsody, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Notably missing is HBO Go and MLB.tv, neither of which are currently available on any Vizio TV. The apps that are available respond quickly, and most can run while the current program is playing (you can tweet while watching the game, for example). With all of these great apps, I was absolutely floored that Vizio chose not to include it's QWERTY remote with this TV. It's a puzzlingly stupid decision as the lack of this QWERTY remote makes using the apps unnecessarily difficult. Once you're logged in to all of your apps, basic searching is OK, as the included remote is functional and responsive, but the lack of the QWERTY keyboard on the back makes using Facebook and Twitter highly unlikely, which is a shame because otherwise they are solid apps.

CONCLUSION

The picture quality, high-end design touches, and quality apps more than make up for the lack of QWERTY remote and single HDMI port. If you're looking or a Smart TV for a kitchen, bedroom, or dorm room, this set is a stunner that's easy on the wallet. This is my 4th Vizio TV dating back 6 years and all of them function perfectly and without a single issue, so this is a trustworthy brand. If you're on the fence, go get it. You won't be sorry.

UPDATE

I purchased this QWERTY remote: New! Original VIZIO XRV1TV Qwerty keyboard remote for M420SV M470SV M550SV M420SL M470SL M550SL M420SV M470SV M550SV M370SR M420SR M420KD E551VA internet TV---30 days warranty! and it works perfectly with the E241i-A1 in spite of Vizio's rude Chat rep, Stormi, saying it would not. It's $10 well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV at an unbelievable price!!, April 18, 2013
A. Chugh (Hartford,Connecticut USA) - See all my reviews
Excellent TV and works brilliantly..must buy!! Can stream movies over apps like netflix and amazon!! The price for a tv with features like this is a great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, March 27, 2013
This review is from: VIZIO E401i-A2 40-inch 1080p LED Smart HDTV (Electronics)
Why I am reviewing: Lack of reviews on this set currently with several of them giving a poor rating. Some of the issues other reviewers were having sounded like they might be user error. Either way, I feel this is a trusted brand at the right price so and the size that I needed so I went ahead and bought it regardless of the reviews.

Background: My other tvs are Pioneer Kuro models I bought several years back (and have never regretted - they are simply the best), but I needed a smaller tv for our exercise room. Based on the location of our equipment, 32" was a little small so I needed something in the 37 to 40" range and this one fit the bill nicely.

Setup: The directions for putting on the stand did not work well for me. The quick start guide had me lay the tv flat on the floor and then try to mount the stand. The problem with this is with the tv flat on the floor, unless you live in a split level and hang the bottom of the tv over the stair it is nearly impossible to hold up the tv while trying to attact the stand. I disassembled the stand and went in a different order, attaching the back of the stand to the tv first. Then I could use the stand to hold onto, lifting up the set and attaching the base. This seems like a much better process and I don't know why the directions don't follow this route.

Looks: This TV looks great. The thin bezel is excellent, giving the appearance of almost all screen. Really looks great. The speakers are thin along the bottom of the set and hardly noticeable. Overall I really like the appearance of this set.

Remote:Not fancy or expensive, but nice. Buttons have a tactile feel, with a real click for button presses. I like this approach. It also feels good in the hand.

Startup: I had no issues here. Menus were responsive and intuitive (no delays like some other review said). It found my home network just fine and the onscreen keyboard to enter network password was very quick and responsive. Easy step by step process to register the tv and apps. Picture came on at the end of this and looked great. I was in a room where the light was changing slightly from outside and I could see the tv adjust by the second. I don't care for this feature so I turned it off as other reviewers have done.

This feature was easy to find in the picture adjustment settings and while there I could see the set has a good amount of adjustments available. I generally don't like to mess with these too much so I chose one of the presets, "basketball." I chose this because basketball is my favorite sport. I like the way they dribble up and down the court. But I digress.
I tuned to ESPN (DirecTv) and was very happy with the picture. Colors were bright and the screen really looked good. Viewing angles are amazing and have come a long way over the years. I remember earlier sets where off angle viewing was challenge, with the picture looking very dim the farther off angle you got. No such problem with this set. You can view from as far off angle as you can get until you are looking at the side of the tv, with no noticeable change in brightness. Reaction times are very good and the set handles motion very well.

The TV was set up in a room with one window on the right side of the room. Viewing from the left and straight on I could not notice and reflectivity but moving over to the right side I could notice the reflections from the window. It was fairly bright outside so unless you are viewing off angle opposite a window during daytime hours this shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I was very satisfied with the sound as well. I left the SRS setting turned on and the sound was crisp and clear with good volume. I'm sure I won't have any issues hearing over our exercise equipment in this room.

Now it was time to try the internet features. One feature I really looked forward to on this TV was the ability to watch Amazon Prime videos. If you don't have Amazon Prime - what are doing? You are doing it wrong. The best $79.99 you will ever spend. Anyway, I pressed the dedicated Amazon button on the remote and got no response. I tried the Netflix and M-Go buttons located in the top row as well and they worked find. So checking the quick start guide, I was directed to the V.I.A. button to get started with Vizio internet apps. I was then directed to select "connected tv store" to search for apps that were not yet installed. Since I did not see Amazon prime anywhere in the menu, I was hopeful I could find it here. Upon selecting, I was advised that there was an update to this app and to select "OK" to download and update this app before I would be able to use it. This took only a minute or two and upon finishing I found that Amazon Prime was now one of the available apps. I went through the sign up process so the tv would recognize my Prime account and allow me access to content. This brought up an on screen code and I was directed to my computer to enter this on the amazon site. Once completed the tv recognized that I had registered it with amazon and allowed access to the thousands of shows and movies available to me as a Prime subscriber.
Once this was completed I exited out of Prime and attempted to use the dedicated Amazon button on the remote once again and this time, success!

I loaded up Prime and selected in Instant Videos to see the selection of HD movies available to me for free. To my surprise, Evil Dead 2 was one of the choices. I selected this movie and after about one minute it was ready for viewing. Playback was flawless, the picture looked great and I was pleasantly surprised with the SRS audio as well.

Overall I am extremely happy with my choice. I don't understand the issues other reviewers have had; maybe these were earlier production units and these glitches have been resolved on later units. I don't think there is a better set out there for $479. Outstanding value and I highly recommend if you are in the market for a 40" tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, April 15, 2013
I purchased this HDTV for the bedroom and am more than satisfied with it. I mounted it on the wall using a small $25 TV mount. It requires only two screws to hang it so you only have to find one stud in the wall. The built in WiFi and on demand Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc is a game changer. The remote (batteries are included) has one touch features for each of the most popular web channels. I ditched my cable about a year ago and do not miss it. Virtually anything I was paying a cable bill to watch can be found online either for free or for a modest fee. The 1080p picture clarity is crystal sharp and the sound is surprisingly rich. For only $200 this was an excellent purchase. Be cautious if you are looking for the WiFi model, it is only in the 24" model, not the 22". Reading some of these reviews has revealed that some people made that mistake. Highly recommend the Vizio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, November 3, 2012
I've read a lot of reviews before deciding on this HDTV.This HDTV offers a superb value for anyone looking for a Smart TV that has solid picture quality for 299.00.There are a lot of 32 inch TVs with neither.I included a review from David Katzmaier Senior Editor from CNET that has reviewed this TV.Type CNET and enter E320i-A0 in the search bar and enjoy the review[...] and I included more information from VIZIO. Type VIZIO and enter E320i-A0 in the search bar and enjoy[...]. Even though it's a 32 inch TV you'll get a lot more screen real estate than you realize.Personally anyone can spend more,but why.I wasn't looking for a 1080P 3DTV and at 299.00 I am able to afford it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV- Just what I wanted, April 18, 2013
I was looking for a new TV for my kids room, now that Comcast decided to charge for their "free" digital adapters. The kids were mostly watching Netflix anyway, so I decided to upgrade by getting a Roku Player. Within a month, I saw this TV adverstised and it had all the features I was looking for in a big TV, such as an LED Smart TV 1080. Great price compared to a 22" Samsung I was also looking at. I almost made the decision of purchasing the 22" version of this, but luckily went directly to Vizio's website and noticed the details did not include Ethernet or Wi-Fi and realized that it was not a Smart TV, so one star on Amazon for combining both of these TV's together.
Overall, this TV has worked out perfectly. Great Wi-Fi Connection with the ability to do Ethernet connection. Built in Tuner, so now I get more channels for free, then with the digital adapter. And I can get rid of the Roku Player. Netflix rules especially for kids.