Published 19 months ago by Zachary Dunklee

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Picture, Terrible Apps, Clueless Vizio Support
Ordered Wednesday, May 29, 2013. Received Friday, May 31, 2013.

On Amazon this TV seems to have great reviews so I purchased it a few days ago. This was to go into a bedroom mainly for Netflix use.

Published 15 months ago by Refuge Denied

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, Takes a little setup to get a great picture, but looks amazing once it is done!, January 31, 2013
The setup was very quick and it had no issues connecting to my Wi-Fi. I had the TV up and running in about 15 minuets after its arrival at my door. Netflix is much better than it is on my xbox and loads quickly even with my slower DSL connection. I have not tried the 3D settings yet, but 2D looks great. I also have it hooked up to my surround sound and so I have no idea what the TV audio actually sounds like. I'm sure it isn't any better than any other flat screen TV.

Here are the settings I used for picture quality:

Start in Movie mode and change these settings:

Color Temperature:

Adaptive Luma: Strong
Film Mode: Off
Smart Dimming: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off

The only other change I made was to increase the backlight from 55 to 65. This just causes a brighter or darker screen. These settings take care of the yellow tint that the TV starts with and makes pictures look great. If you want it darker or lighter you can cut the color temps in half or increase them by the same ratio in order to keep quality colors as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars VIZIO E420d-A0 - Best Vizio 3d 42" Tv, January 25, 2013
Wow. I am totally blown away by this 500$ 3D Led flat screen Vizio tv. It has exceeded all my expectations. JD Power and Assoc calls Vizio the gold standard in flat screen affordable tv's and now I can totally see why. Vizio makes another 42 inch LCD 3d tv which also from what I have seen is a great set as well but I have to say this model is the better of the two. The LED which to me outshines the Lcd model and 2 million contrast ratio ( the other has 200,000) make this 120htz tv really pop. The color and clarity will really shock you too. I have seen alot of great tv's, my family owns all the hi end 2500$ tv's including a couple of 3d's and this tv can hang with them all. The 3D is so rich and clear and the black levels are the best out of any tv ive owned (my previous set was a sony 42" Bravia 1080 60htz flat screen for 800$). I did alot of reading before I bought a new 3d tv and really didnt feel like spending a 1000$ to get what i wanted and I have to say I am one happy guy and so will you be. The one thing you hear alot of negative reviews on is usually the audio , not on this set it is outstanding. I purchased a soundbar when I ordered the tv because of the ongoing sound issues with flat screens but when i connected the tv the quality srs surround sound that came out of this 3.5 inch thick 30lb tv blew my mind. When i eventually hook up the sound bar it will only be that added bonus but the set does not require it as most models in its class absolutely do. I am watching green lantern in 3d as I write this review and i must say it was worth the research and waiting to purchase such an overacheiver!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, August 29, 2013
This review is from: VIZIO E E551d-A0 55-Inch 1080P 3D Smart LED HDTV (Electronics)
The picture on this TV is amazingly good. 3d looks great, I've used it for watching blu rays, netflix, and playing ps3, and with a few little picture tweaks you can really get a great image. There's no motion blurring at all, and the contrast is just awesome.

My ONLY complaint is that the manual says to use an 8M 1.0 pitch 20mm screw to install the set onto a wall mount, however, after several trips to the hardware store, multiple conversations with Vizio Support(who also gave me those same screw specs) and some trial and error, I discovered that it's actually supposed to be 1.25 pitch. That would have saved me a few bucks, and lots of time and looking like a jackass going to the local hardware store half a dozen times buying different screws. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with this set, it works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture. Okay 3D, August 15, 2013
The picture on this TV is amazing, once you can get the settings that you like (I will post mine at the end). The 3D on this TV on the other hand is probably the worst I have ever seen. You pay an extra $20 for this version over the non 3D version and believe me you get what pay for. I also have a 47" LG Cinema 3D LED TV as well and it is half the thickness of this one with much better 3D and I only paid $650 for that one at Walmart because it is not a smart TV. The apps on this TV are okay the Netflix and VUDU work great but the amazon instant video is worthless if you have prime because it is hard to find the free movies. It also has M-go which is completely useless if you have an amazon or VUDU account. There about 80 other apps (music, movies, news, social, sports, and games) but I don't have a use for any of them on my TV.(if you are looking for a good smart TV go with LG or Samsung they are the best). if you are looking for a LED TV with great picture for a great price than I recommend this one; however, if you do not already own a 3D TV do no make this one your first one. Plus all video and audio settings must be adjusted for each input plus 3D mode and for any smart TV video apps. Now for the best picture quality uses these settings:

Picture mode: Custom
Backlight. 55
brightness. 50
contrast 75
color 60
tint 0
sharpness 12 (can adjust to your liking)
color temp: choose custom but leave the defaults
advance picture
noise reduction low
mpeg nr low
color enhancement off
adaptive luma strong
film. auto
smart dimming off
ambient light sensor off
this will give you white whites without the yellow tint with good darks and clear edges. note: you will need to change this for each input plus 3D mode. as well as for any smart tv apps that play video (its annoying)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Picture, Terrible Apps, Clueless Vizio Support, June 1, 2013
Ordered Wednesday, May 29, 2013. Received Friday, May 31, 2013.

When I received it I immediately started to get it set up. I hard-wired it to my router, plugged in an HDMI cable from my cable box to the TV, plugged in the power. After the initial setup, I tried to use the Netflix app - no option for "Yes, I have a Netflix Account", just "Unable to connect to the Netflix service - Try again or Exit".

I tried the YouTube app and it worked fine.

I reset the TV to factory defaults (Menu > Help > Delete Memory (Factory Restore)), but this didn't help. In fact I tried this twice over the next 12 hours.

After a search of the problem it seems Vizio has a lot of problems with Netflix. Even if your TV works fine now, a future update (that you have no control over) may bork Netflix or other services until a new patch is released. This can be weeks or even months in some cases I found online.

I called Vizio support this morning (Saturday, June 1, 2013) and the guy gave me 2 different and unrelated reasons Netflix won't work properly. He had me factory reset the TV a third time and still no luck. He said it was probably a problem with my router or that Netflix was down. I told him both my Roku and PC can view Netflix just fine yesterday and this morning and that the TV could stream HD YouTube videos just fine. Then he said it might be a bandwidth issue. I said the last speed test I did showed 52 mb/s down and 6 mb/s up. That couldn't be the problem.

He then asked me to plug the TV directly into my modem and let it sit over the weekend. What?? I said I use my internet connection for work and that wasn't an option, but I reminded him that it is wired (not wireless) into the router and it CAN connect to other online services. He then told me to send it in to Vizio (on my dime) for warranty repair.

No thanks. I told him I would just return it to Amazon and get a different brand. This was my first experience with Vizio. I'll stick with Samsung, LG, and Panasonic.

I called Amazon right after. The tech at Amazon had me try a few things and eventually said its faulty and he set up a return. UPS will be out to pick it up on Monday. Amazon is awesome!

All that said, this TV DOES have a nice picture out of the box. Tweaking it using the settings that another reviewer posted here just makes it better. The picture looks just as good my LG LCD and almost as good as my Panasonic plasma.

If you are looking for a TV with the convenience of apps, look at another brand. If you think this is a good price for an LCD and don't need the apps, this might be a good buy for you - again, the picture is great with an HD source.

** UPDATE June 05, 2013 **
I ordered a Samsung UN40EH5300 the day I setup the return for this Vizio. I received the Samsung yesterday (arrived in one day with free shipping) and everything works great out of the box. A couple of setting tweaks and the Samsung has an outstanding picture. I will leave a review for the Samsung after I've had it for a while and follow up with any problems if I encounter them.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME TV!!, May 12, 2013
This television exceeds all my expectations many times over! The quality of the HD was to be expected, love the smart tv features, but the 3D is just outstanding!! Price was fantastic. Arrived quickly. Would definitely purchase another!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV but not so smart., January 31, 2013
I just received my TV today. Unboxing and setting up is easy enough. Power on and follow the screens... the first thing you're prompted to do is connect the wifi. It took 3 very smart friends, 2 hours, and 1 lengthy call to tech support to get it connected. It seems the TV only responds to super simple passwords... so we had to reset my wireless router back to factory defaults and configure from scratch to get the TV to accept the password. More trouble than I've had from most devices.

That said, Tech Support was very helpful and a pleasure to work with. Once connected though, I find the built in apps are pretty much worthless. The Amazon and Netflix apps are tedious to navigate. To use the Hulu app, you need to subscribe to HuluPlus. There's no Pandora, no YouTube. There are a bunch of Yahoo apps that are a decade past their prime. I don't recognize, or care about, any of the others. Bottom line... I'll be hooking my laptop up via the HDMI and using that for web access, just like I did my non-smart TV. So the Smart TV aspect of this box is worthless unless all you care about is streaming Amazon, Netflix or HuluPlus.. and you have the patience to click endlessly to navigate the interface. I have a USB wireless keyboard I'd like to use, but so far can't get it to work. I think you're limited to using the remote for input.

On the plus side... the image quality is awesome. The styling is beautiful. Sounds great. Previews of some 3D movies are very promising... I think I'll love the 3D. I did try the 2D to 3D function.. though I haven't figured out how to get it to work yet. I'm thinking it will be more complicated, and less impressive, than it's worth to figure it out.

I'd get this TV for the image quality and 3d alone. The Smart functionality is just a small bonus. I'm happy based on the price I paid. If I paid full price, I'd expect more from the wifi capabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this TV, May 7, 2013
Gave this to our son for a graduation gift. The 3d on this thing is amazing and the apps built in are fantastic. The remote is laggy though and sometimes seems to not work at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV I've ever owned., January 25, 2013
As the title states this is the best TV I've ever owned, and I've owned over 10 flat screens. 3D is perfect, WiFi is flawless, screen is amazing...sound is excellent....LOVE THIS TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, Software is glitchy and freezes., November 21, 2013
Pretty good picture. Software is a little glitchy, sometimes will freeze and ignore the remote and buttons. The only way to restart it when it freezes is to pull the power plug from the back. Not a huge deal, but it happens about once a week. It might be a pain if your TV was mounted on the wall or something. Netflix and Amazon prime work well, not really many other useful apps.

VIZIO E E551d-A0 55-Inch 1080P 3D Smart LED HDTV