on October 19, 2012
These are first day impressions. Haven't spent too much time with this set. I was upgrading from a 6 year old 42" Hitachi Plasma set. The Hitatchi still looked pretty great, but I've been convinced for months, obsessing over waiting for the right deal. I was sure that I needed an LG or a Samsung; the two top dogs (imo) with a great selection of mid-high range sets within my budget ($1500) There were plenty of similar prices for quality sets; anything 55" + TV set within the last year, some nice frills to boot was on the table.

The timing of this set's release was just too perfect. I wasn't even considering a vizio, but all the sets by Samsung and LG are already 6+months behind). And Vizio deserves credit for really stepping it up. I saw the review on cnet and gizmodo and was quickly sold. It looks and feels like a spiffy new high-end television. Also going from 42" to 60" is more impressive than it may sound. The set itself also damn thin and not too heavy. Especially compared to the smaller hitachi.

It's worth repeating, I had a negative connotation with Vizio as low end, bargain TV's from walmart. But I'm truly impressed with the feature set.... loads of inputs, wi-fi capabilities, netflix and amazon prime apps (total snap to set it all up)... i'm still discovering more eatures as I play with it. As soon as I threw the set on I fired up the on the Step Brothers blu-ray it was noticably crisper than my old 1080i set.

Now I have some minor nitpicking to do. Not dealbreakers, but just thoughts. For one, he stand does not swivel. My Hitachi had this swiveling stand, and it was a great feature depending on how many people were viewing. Also I hate the smooth motion settings. It just looks strange to me, like everything turns into a daytime soap. Thankfully I can turn it off. I can see it being nice for sports games, but movies and most tv shows throw me off with the movement. My buddy was saying he likes it better, so I guess that's gonna be a personal thing. I keep it set off. Also, the remote is not backlit. For all those buttons on there, it would have been great to make it easy on the eyes when all the lights are out.

Menus themselves are rather deep with settings and features, yet intuitive to get to the simple stuff. I love that you can browse amazon prime on the sidebar without entering an app. This means whatever else you're watching changes aspect ratio and continutes to play, while you freely browse new content. I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of features and settings, but it's not difficult to change some basic picture settings and keep it simple.

There's no other set at this price point, this solid, this new and with so many features. It's worth looking at, and I predict it will be a big seller in the holidays.

I'll update my review again as I play around more. Still figuring stuff out.

I can't believe I spent over $2300 on a 42" plasma and only 5-6 years later, sets like these are not only better but like half price. Also i was jazzed this tv was 30% under my budget. This set is a steal for $1000. Great timing Vizio.

***updates***

one week later - still happy as can be. no buyers remorse. several friends are considering purchasing the same exact set. i am convinced this product will keep me happy years down the road.

some questions to other ppl who bought this set (sound off in the comments) :
- any thoughts on using a soundbar? gizmodo [...] just ran an article on top four under $300 and the top choice was a vizio soundbar for $225... worth it? speakers are pretty good as is, just want psuedo surround... i still have a sony receiver and 5 pc speaker with 5.1 dolby setup but honestly it's just a little cumbersome these days.
- any previous vizio owners; do they update the built in apps often? would love to have HBO Go on here ;)
- what defines HD on the netflix streaming? this might just be off topic, as it's probably relative to the netflix app more than the set... it looks pretty good, but i definitely see some rough pixels here and there. pressing info just says "XHD"
- is there a way to lock the settings? my son keeps on turning real motion to mess with me and it's the worst.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2012
Watch out with this TV, you can see from other reviews that some of these just black out. Mine lasted 6 days. I have now been waiting for 4 weeks for the replacement
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2013
Overall, you do get a lot for your dollar in this set. I chose the 60" size at a great price that beat competitors in the same segment. You get an unadorned relatively thin black bezel without the overuse of logos as you will find. The depth is pretty shallow. The HDMI inputs face down making wall mounting not a hassle. You're able to have the power LED indicator turn off while viewing so there's less distraction. Video games are very responsive to input with little to no lag (Playing Call of Duty: Ghosts currently on it). Picture quality is pretty good to the non-videophile (me) after some tweaking...especially the brightness levels which are initially blindingly bright. I do not regret my purchase.

Now on to what most people reading these reviews is looking for: The negatives.

panel uniformity is atrocious. This is to mean, on a black screen...the back-lit patches of light that will show through like dark grey splotches. This is something you won't notice unless you're watching a very dark movie/TV show. This varies from panel to panel, even among the same line of TV...I just happened to get what I got. At this price point, you will have some no matter what.
The Apps are sorta hit or miss. Netflix works well enough and I have only encountered a few app freezes in a few months. Amazon GO app could use quite a bit of work as browsing movie titles is an exercise in reading very small print (App doesn't go fullscreen like Netflix). The other apps included are fluff for my uses. Could use a Spotify app like the Samsung units, and HBO GO! but that's nit picky.

3-stars were given due to panel uniformity, medium picture quality, and Apps that work but aren't polished.

I had to choose between screen size, price, and picture quality. I chose low price and large screen size and went with this unit and I do not regret my purchase. I have had 0 mechanical issues with this set.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2014
We bought this TV for Christmas in 2012. Absolutely loved it for 13 months, until one night the screen just blanked. Researched on line and found that there were recalls for this problem with Vizio TVs, but when my husband called to check it out, our model was not included - even though it was the same problem that other Vizio models were experiencing. So a month and $500 (!!!) later, the TV is fixed. I will never buy another Vizio. So disappointed in this company.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2012
This is a great tv. I'm really happy with it, especially at it's price point. Out of the box it looks great displaying regular TV shows, but at first watching Football I was really disappointed/scared that I made a bad purchase. Have no worries though, once you make the proper adjustments (credit to "Kris's" review for all but 1 of the settings below) it's an amazing TV. YOU MUST TURN OFF MOTION SMOOTHING - see settings below!

I couldn't be happier. Netflix is beyond what I thought TV could display (I've never seen blu-ray, but I imagine this was close to it on Netflix).

The delivery guys were courteous, pleasant and even installed the base while I signed the paperwork, just provide a phillips screwdriver for them.

I won't review audio in depth as in my opinion TV's are made for video and not audio. It's fine out of the box. I will eventually upgrade to a simple soundbar as I live in a duplex and cannot/will not subject my neighbors upstairs to surround sound.

My settings (again huge credit to "Kris" for his settings as the only thing different on mine is a slightly higher "color" setting - his is 51, mine is 54).

---Picture settings menu---

Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off

* Again, all credit to Kris here. Thanks Kris!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2013
Update after 6 months
Vizio did repair the TV. I watched the repair folks replace 3 boards before the found the fault. Now, a few months later the set is failing again. Now there are blue lines running vertically across the entire display. Looks like another round of repairs are needed.

Lasted two months of light use and now has to be replaced. No picture, No Menu. Nothing. Vizio will replace the set, but it takes AT LEAST a month before they will provide the replacement.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
I ordered this HDTV through Amazon and it arrived several days before the posted delivery time. The "white gloves" delivery service was excellent as well.

Now, after 10 days of using the TV the only thing I can find to complain about is the physical size of the remote. I'm an Olde Farte and have trouble seeing small print in dim light and using things with small keys. The remote on this TV is one of the smallest I've ever seen and even has a full keyboard on the reverse side. It is virtually impossible for me to read the labels over the buttons or use the keyboard but for younger users I don't think this would be a problem.

Setup was a piece of cake and even network connections worked right out of the box. I was able to connect and stream a Netflix movie and watched the entire thing without a single dropped frame or freeze. I have 7mb DSL internet service.

The picture is awesome. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray player I ordered was caught up in Superstorm Sandy and hasn't yet arrived but HD picture quality over-the-air is almost 3D-like and does not fade or wash out in a bright room.

A major surprise was the sound. Most HDTV's seem to cheap out on the sound but this one seems much better than most. I have it sitting on its stand on a wooden console and can hear the sound, crisp and clean, from 15 feet away. I have the digital output connected to my A/V receiver but the additional sound quality comes mostly from the two woofers attached to that system.

And that raises the only engineering complaint I have and would be true with the majority of HDTV's and that is the placement of the downward-facing connections. The unit is so thin that connecting the optical output and HDMI inputs is difficult. And seeing the various connections is almost impossible when the unit is placed on its stand.

Overall I consider this unit an excellent value for the money (just under $1,000) and would recommend it highly. My son was so impressed he ordered one for himself.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Great 60 for the price, in fact best 60 for the price. After calling up vizio to get some help with the settings the picture is perfect, extremely clear. No noticeable pixels, clear when watching sports or fast moving shows, very thin frame and TV, controller is great has a keyboard on back. Hooked up to wifi which works very well for hulu and Netflix, great HD pic on both services. Got it Costco for $979 with automatic 2 yr warranty. Don't get me wrong I buy most things on amazon just didn't want to wait. Highly recommended TV. It replaced my 37 in Magnavox LCD.

Enjoy.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2013
Without a doubt this is the best value in large screen smart tvs on the market.
However as other reviews have mentioned,its important to put in the correct
Settings to get the tremendous picture its capable of producing.when I first set
it up I tried several of the settings people have posted here on amazon and while
They were fine they didn't give me that "pop"I was looking for.
it seems many reviewers don't like the ultra crisp realistic look that led tvs provide
but I actually love it!it makes every movie and Tv show come alive in a way never seen
before so even when watching a movie seen many times before it will seem completely
Fresh and new.after much tweaking i found settings that make this effect really shine in
this set so I thought id share them for you guys to try..
Vivid
Film auto
Backlight control off
Ambient light sensor off
Enjoy this beautiful Tv!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2012
I purchased this tv from SAMs club since amazon didn't have any in stock. My girlfriend was pist at me for wanting to buy it until she saw it in person! This tv is amazing for the price! With a little tweaking, the picture is perfect and the slim frame makes it look like the picture just spills into the wall. I have a really bright room so I was debating the smaller, less expensive LCD 55" vizio E552VLE model but after seeing the two next to each other they don't even compare. There is alittle reflection on the tv from the windows but its a lot less than expected. The Internet apps are very easy to use and navigate although the interface they used is very basic and not as flashy as more expensive tvs. The best part is that my girlfriend has not stopped talking about the picture and how amazing the tv looks! Definitely a great tv if ur looking for size and price! Hope this helped!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations