5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Great Picture with some Caveats.
The VIZIO M3D651SV is a pretty slick TV all-in-all. However, its not going to be perfect for every person in every application. For instance, some of its potentially beneficial features can be rather annoying under some circumstances much like the proverbial double-edged sword. Let's get some of these issues out of the way first.

The TV's Glossy Screen:...
Published on October 20, 2012 by T. R. Kanavy

1.0 out of 5 stars After 1 year, here is my thorough review
This TV has a couple of major negatives working against it. As others have said, the screen is mirror-finished, and reflects all light. If you have a window or a light that is in the reflection area, you are not going to light this TV.

Though initially it was in great shape, it is now (+1 year) showing some serious signs of flashlighting and light leaks. If...
Published 8 months ago by D. Lusk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Great Picture with some Caveats., October 20, 2012
This review is from: VIZIO M3D651SV 65-inch 1080P Razor LED Smart 3D HDTV (Electronics)

The TV's Glossy Screen:

It's not semi-gloss as some literature states, it's a very high gloss reflective surface. This makes for a smooth, colorful and uniform image. If you see this TV next to another (without a similarly glossy screen) this one will instantly look more attractive and vivid. However, if your home has many windows in your primary viewing area and you watch TV in the daytime, you will likely find the reflection is quite distracting. In bright rooms one can easily stare at the screen and see everything behind them- useful to evade creeping ninja's or stalking predators but not great for seeing the beautiful images displayed by the TV.

Synthetic 240 Hz and Video Games:

A salesmen at a store might say "Hey this TV is great for gaming because it's 240Hz!". The salesman would be only partially correct. Firstly, if you plug this TV in and watch a blu-ray movie you will be stunned by the gorgeous smooth motion picture. However, if you fire up your gaming system and start playing you will likely notice a lag in your controls or difficulty aiming in First Person Shooters. This is actually due to the processing that is occurring to give the TV the "effective 240hz". This occurs because the TV does not have true 240hz refresh rate, that 240hz stat is achieved by pulsing the backlighting to fill extra image frames( a technique into which I won't delve too deeply in this review). However, it looks great for movies and even fast-action sporting events, just not so great for gaming. Therefore, you must turn that feature off by setting the TV to "Gaming" mode, essentially halting the advanced processing. Once that is done, gaming is perfectly enjoyable.

Conclusion:

This TV offers a stunning picture to cost ratio and in my opinion is certainly one of the best values in its class. Colors look vivid yet accurate, not over-blown or unrealistic. Black levels are also very impressive for this type of TV and aid in creating fantastic contrast. The passive 3D works quite well,and as a bonus does not require you to purchase expensive powered glasses; instead cheap movie theater glasses will work great. I did not notice problematic crosstalk in my limited 3D viewing, but I will update this review if such things come to light.

All in All, this TV is one of my favorite things to review, that is, a great bang for the buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Glossy - Great TV - Great Value, November 3, 2012
Amazon Customer (IN United States) - See all my reviews
I did not purchase the item through Amazon, it was not in stock, rather I bought it at a local Walmart.

PREFACE: I INITIALLY HAD A DAMAGED SET: I will start this by saying that my set was damaged from the factory. Although it had a perfectly intact box when pulled out the back side was buckled slightly on both side causing the screen to bend slightly backwards. I contacted Vizio and they had me return it to the store for an exchange. I did that and the replacement set was fine in construction.

My first concern with this set is how glossy it would be. I have a very light living room with lots of windows and lamps. This thing is a mirror, you could shave in it. It's as glossy as any plasma set you see in stores. We adapted to this by moving it to a wall between two windows which keeps the reflections in check in our situation.

I am very impressed with the set. I was surprised by the effect the 240hz scaling does to shows, but I don't necessarily dislike it. The set is bright enough in my pretty bright room. It is sharp and colorful as I could want. There is a bit of blurring on a thrown football or baseball, but very briefly and I think that is just a flaw with the 240, which I think I could turn off in the settings. But all other motion, and I watch a lot of sports, is very smooth and looks great.

I do think the glossy screen really helps with the blacks and colors, this thing is vivid but in a good way IMHO.

The kids have liked the 3D very much, it seems pretty similar to me to what we have seen in theaters. The theater Real3D glasses work very well with the set. We had 10 people watching 3D at a recent gathering.

We have not used the apps much, we have a GoogleTV box that we use for that. The remote is fine. The speakers are passable but with a set this thin you just can't expect much quality from the sound. I did log into the Amazon Instant Video and it worked fine, the Netflix app worked as good as on any of other external boxes and the Rhapsody app was a little better than the GoogleTV one.

ISSUES: The only real screen issue I see is on a very dark black screen you can see some grey smokey areas in the middle (seen easiest on the boot up screen with the V logo) and on very fast motion like a baseball field about you can see a few darker lines top to bottom, it doesn't distort the color, but these are very subtle. I used to sell TV's, I have a very critical eye and on a bright color screen the picture seems very even.

The one other quirk is that after turning it on the set won't accept remote control presses for several minutes, no volume up/down etc. It's odd and something I hope can be fixed in a firmware update or maybe was caused by my set being bent. It does this on universal remotes and the vizio remote. Both sets I had do this, the one I returned and the replacement.

All in all I am very happy with this set. If you have a darkened room or one with good light control I think you will be very satisfied with the set. It's a great mix of features and extra large size at this price point!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value but caused a panic!, January 20, 2013
I read the owners reviews and ordered this TV. Once I got it home I was upset. I am replacing a Samsung LED DLP 61 inch. The only reason I bought this TV was for the size and 3D. The Samsung has a great picture. This TV's picture sucked! I went on line changed some settings & it was not what I was use too. Now the 3d & blu-ray was wonderful but HD cable was dark & blue color. My PS3 screen looked bad.
So I read the review on CNET & they mentioned it had a blue tint that would not go away & they recommend the 55. My wife said the picture was not right. So I spent some time printing out settings. In the mean time we watched a 3D nature movies & we kept saying "WOW". Some water splashed from a river & we ducked. So that part was very good. Then I went to the football setting & brought the bright setting up & "WOW"! My picture I was hoping for came back for cable & PS3. Now I am pleased with this TV.
Don't worry about the CNET review. This is a good TV. After having this tv for aweek now I give this 5 stars. This tv makes me smile when I see the picture. Watching 3d is like looking at one of those old view finders but it moves. Go get this tv.
UPDATE: This is the setting that work for me.
Picture Mode: Football ( could be any of them )
Backlight: 100
Film Mode: Auto
Smart Dimming: On
Ambiet Sensor: Light
That's it for now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, too glossy, 3D gaming not possible coz of severe input lag, November 11, 2012
Background:

I returned the older model 55" version of this TV (vizio m3d550kd) for the 65". The 55" was just too small for my sitting room and I returned it using the amazon 30 day return policy. Im very glad I upgraded to the 65". As an aside, amazons TV return process seems to be very haphazard and irritating for the customer. Will update when the return has been fully processed.

Update: Amazon handled the return ok, I was fully refunded minus a $60 return shipping fee. They also refunded me $250 because the price was reduced after I made the purchase. Quite happy with the overall situation.

Review:

The TV is very big, its heavy, it has a rounded base, its quite slim. The back is metal. The picture is excellent, much better than the m3d550kd. Crystal clear, and the screen is much more uniform in terms of lighting. Light bleed from the edges of the screen is un-noticeable compared to the m3d550kd which had a few bad spots. In fact I considered returning the m3d550kd for this problem alone, the top right hand corner had a slight bend causing a bad case of light bleed which was always noticeable even in lit up scenes! Have not noticed any pixel issues. I watched a blue ray movie on the TV, the picture was very impressive, even in dark scenes.

The screen is very glossy, you could almost use it as a mirror. It makes the TV look beautiful but is annoying when the sun shines into the room and causes a reflection.
This TV loses one half star due to this over glossiness, sometimes the tv is unusable due to this problem. However a curtain will sort it.

I use my TV primarily for playing PS3 and the odd movie. For gaming there is no input lag when you turn game mode on and disable all of the advanced picture settings. I play cod on the TV and its amazing. The size of the screen really improves the experience.

There is no 3.5 audio out. Its gone. Analog audio out requires a dual rca cable.

The remote is very nice. It feels solid, the buttons are responsive. Regular remote on one side, keyboard on the other. The only oddity is that the battery cover is almost impossible to get off!! Dunno what the hell they were thinking with that design. It sucks. But overall a nice remote. The remote is not bluetooth, its regular infrared.

I tried the 3D with blackops zombies. Very cool!! But the input lag caused by the 3D processing makes the game kinda suck/unplayable. Do not have any 3D movies yet. Will update, but from the zombies experience im expecting 3D movies to be a lot of fun!! 4 pairs of pretty cool looking and comfortable 3D glasses, vizio logo printed on the frame.

Update: Played 3D Blackops2 zombies. It looks utterly amazing in 3D but the input lag is an issue.
Update: Watched prometheus in 3D. Amazing picture quality!! Really cool experience!

This TV has bad input lag with 3D games, it loses another half star for this. YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH THE 3D AND GAME MODE FEATURES TURNED ON AT THE SAME TIME USING THIS TV! THIS SUCKSSSS! 3D GAMING IS NOT POSSIBLE!!

Audio is pretty good, small sound bar on the front of the tv! But you really want surround sound with this TV imo.

The internet apps are pretty good, run faster than the m3d550kd. Glitchy here and there. I use the youtube app mostly for watching content and music. The keyboard really helps and I use the apps on the tv over those on my ps3!

Overall Im very happy with the TV and will be holding on to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great TV, November 27, 2012
I bought the VIZIO E601i-A3 and it died within 3 weeks. I was not really happy with the picture quality on it before it died anyway. I got the VIZIO M3D651SV and it is quite simply awesome. I gave Vizio another shot because the quality of the 47 inch xvt I still have was very impressive (about a year and a half since I purchased that set, still going strong). I figured this set is the new version of that one and bit the bullet after thinking about a plasma. All I can say is the picture quality is stunning and I have no complaints. I need to try some 3D content out but as far as Directv/Hulu/Netflix go, the picture is flawless. I tried the settings from my 47" XVT Vizio and they looked great on this set. Here they are for use as a guideline. Tweak as needed.

Calibration Settings:
Film Mode - Auto
Smart Dimming On
Ambient Light Sensor - low

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, love the 3D, November 30, 2012
To start off its obvious you cannot 3d using 2d source unless you have an upconverting 3d blue ray player. Even when upconverted its just OK (movies need to be 3d for full effect), just watched "the avengers" on 3d it was amazing! I first tried the vizio vbr 337/338 blue ray player but seemed to be defective made a high pitched noise while unit was off, also tried vht510 sound bar, another mistake, cheap sound and quality (just stick to vizio TVs). I paired this with a Sony bdvn790w surround system with 3D blue ray, amazing sound excellent clarity, only needed 2 hdmi cables, one for the Sony to tv other was for cable box to tv. Sony unit also plays 5.1 surround through hdmi cables for when you want to use surround sound on your favorite tv shows without any additional cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have nothing bad to say about this wonderful Vizio Smart HDTV, November 26, 2012
This Vizio M3D651SV 65 inch Smart HDTV is just stunning. Right out of the box it has worked flawlessly for over a month now. The picture is breathtaking and the set itself, when turned off, looks like a large black mirror. When I found out the screen was very glossy I was worried. I have six 8 foot tall windows in my family room and have watched many football games with the blinds up and full sun shining in. If I try to see the reflections in the screen I can, but if you watch the TV they don't bother the quality of the picture. There is an automatic sensor that brightens or darkens the picture according to the light in the room and it seems to work fine.

I looked at Plasma Televisions but due to the bright conditions in my family room I decided on the LED flat screen. The 3D viewing on this set is also amazing. Even though 3D content is hard to find I really enjoy seeing objects come out of the screen and seeming to land in your lap. Four pair of 3D glasses come with this Vizio model. Football games viewed on ESPN-3D makes you feel like you would if you are right inside the stadium.

The price was also hundreds of dollars less than some of the name brands that customers complained had bad customer service. I did talk to Vizio customer service twice because of my inability to understand some of the features on this set. Both times I talked to an American and they were very friendly, helpful, and most of all understanding. I also want to say that I have a 47 inch Vizio HDTV that is 6 years old which has never given me a problem. I opted for the SquareTrade 4 year insurance policy with this one though just in case.

I also want to put in a good word for Amazon. The delivery of this set was fast. The guys unpacked the new TV, took away all the packaging material, and placed the set on my stand after moving the old TV to where I wanted it. I also saw that Amazon reduced the price of this TV after it was delivered to me. I notified them through their price guarantee link and was sent an e-mail the next day saying they were refunding $250.00 back to my credit card. Thank-you very much for everything Anazon,com.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking at this TV, Buy It!, April 18, 2013
I started out looking for a 70" or 80" TV because I wanted the WOW factor, plus, bigger is better right? Not really, This set looks HUGE compared to the 52" I took out. I can't imagine a 70" or 80" TV in there. I sit about 12 feet away and I'm glad I didn't get a bigger set.
I had a 52" Sammy that I paid over $2500 for two years ago, it was great but wanted something bigger with the option of passive 3D. When I saw this Vizio I was afraid the quality would not be there. I have had this TV for a week and am still amazed by the beauty of the picture. It looks amazing in 2D, the other reviews that say it doesn't have a good picture must be doing something wrong, settings or content.
I watched Avatar in 3d right out of the box with the standard settings and was blown away. The last 3D movie I saw was "Journey to the center of the Earth" in the theatre and I thought the 3d was terrible with all the ghosting. Not on this set, the 3D looks fantastic. I was so glad I bought this set and am very happy with it. The worst thing about it is the shiny screen, but you can adjust the picture to "Vivid" and it looks good even in a fairly bright room. By the way I ordered my set from Costco and it does have the wi-fi built in.
You can't go wrong with this set even if you don't use the 3D. But I do use it and I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars CNET's review is wrong, December 11, 2012
Plaw (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
We wanted to upgrade from our old Mitsubishi rear projection TV to current technology without spending a fortune. We considered the Sharp Elite (LCD/LED) and the Panasonic Viera VT50 (plasma) but they were both just too expensive and each had other issues. So, we went with this Vizio. The order and white glove delivery process thru Amazon went like a charm. We tracked the price for a while and noticed one day that Sam's was offering this tv for about $300 less than Amazon. When notified of this (and verifying it) Amazon matched the lower price immediately.

Now to set up and our opinion of this tv: we mounted this tv on a wall with a Sanus VMPL3. This wall mount itself is very heavy so you will likely need assistance in attaching it to your wall, especially since you spread the slidable plates which come with it to accommodate this tv. However, it is very strong and can easily (in my opinion) take the weight of this tv. The tv is secured (rather than held) in the mount by screws on the right and left brackets which were difficult to reach and require a slim forearm to slide behind the tv. The tv has multiple inputs but they are accessible only from the left side (when viewed from the front) so if your equipment is located to the right of the tv, you may need longer connecting cables (suggest Mediabridge which we bought at Amazon). Just watched Avatar HD disk yesterday and the colors and detail were fabulous. This disk comes in a 2D and 3D version and only the 2D version has been viewed so far. CNET has just reviewed this TV and has given it only 3 stars complaining about picture quality. I think they are dead wrong on this one and can only strongly recommend purchase of this TV, especially at its price point (I paid $1500). I did also purchase a Square Trade extended warranty for 4 years since a number of people have complained about the quality of Vizio tvs. The extended warranty was inexpensive, and although I do not like extended warranties normally (companies usually don't honor them), Square Trade has a good reputation. Also,another reason for us to purchase this TV is that OLED tvs are coming out in 2013 at horrendously high prices and I am guessing we will replace this tv in about 4-5 years when OLED prices come down to earth.

Update Dec. 12, 2012 - today I watched the 3d version of Avatar on this TV. I had seen the movie version in 3D in the theater. After the theater viewing, I and others complained that a good chunk of the movie just didn't appear to be in 3D at all. Not so in viewing the Blu-Ray DVD on this tv - the experience was far better than in the theater. No crosstalk, no problems (but you do have to change the setting on the tv to "3D" before viewing even if you select the 3D button that comes up when the DVD is inserted. Next up is to test the 2d to 3D conversion from my Oppo player, but that's a different review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a viewing delight!, July 2, 2013
This TV rocks in so many ways. Crisp, bright, better than real life TV enjoyment. At first I thought I would not like the shiny mirror like finish of the TV screen & that it would hurt my enjoyment of watching certain scenes because there can be a glare from lamps, lighting in the room...but I got use 2 everything very smoothly by just re-arranging my favorite lamps. I've had this set for months now & it just keeps on getting better everytime I watch an old, or new HD movie, the 3D channel is just like what you see in the ads..stuff just seems to come right @ you. The DLP TV I use to have never had quality of enjoyment of movies, specials etc. like this Vizio does. This TV is certainly razor edge superior technology!