5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV
Published 15 months ago by Varun

1.0 out of 5 stars Problematic and difficult to use
I bought this for my father and there have been no end of the headaches. While the picture is all right it is nothing special by today's standards and the TV is difficult to navigate. This is made worse by the remote, which is not really functional it works about 30% of the time and even then their is a substantial lag.
Published 8 months ago by William

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, June 20, 2013
This review is from: VIZIO M401i-A3 40-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
My 40 inch TV arrived today after 2 long weeks of it being out of stock on Amazon. As I waited I began to read reviews that others had written and I had ventured over to the owners thread on the AVS Forums for this TV. As I was reading all the posts and reviews my number one concern was the degree of light bleed and if it was as bad as others had stated. For anyone on the fence about buying this TV due to the light bleed issue let me tell you now. I see no light bleed what so ever. If there is I can't make it out. Blu-rays look amazing. I hooked up my PS3 to see if there was any input lag or ghosting. None what so ever. ( I did change to game mode). The sound is clear and crisp, missing some bass but well above average for a flat screen tv.

Wrap up.

Picture - No light bleed, no input lag when gaming, no ghosting, colors are very bright and crisp looking. May need to calibrate a bit out of box but not much.

Sound- Good enough for flat screen tv. Missing some bass but that is to be expected.

Design- Wonderful, looks great.

Apps- Have only signed into Netflix but it works very well and is very quick to load. Yahoo weather, news, facebook all load fast and are easy to use.

Amazing tv for the price, and feature set. wonderful quality and design.

The only minor annoyance is that it takes forever to input information without a keyboard but i'll live with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problematic and difficult to use, December 30, 2013
William (Alexandria, VA, United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars :- ( UNHAPPY, May 13, 2014
Like I tell EVERYONE, better think twice before getting into a relationship with Vizio. If you plan on using the Internet connection buyer beware! They routinely send automatic firmware updates ( you have no options if your connected). These updates will changed the audio and video quality of your TV. And then they will hang you out to dry. Your stuck with junk. My TV was sent a firmware update six weeks ago which caused my audio to be miserably out of sync with the video. My viewing enjoyment went from happy to pissed off in a blink of an eye. Customer service jerked me around. They even went as far as to tell me that if they sent me a new TV I would still have the same problem due to some cable provider BS. They have been milking me along week by week stating that they are working on a firmware updated to correct this problem ... It's been six weeks now.... Today is May 14,2014. I had this TV 7-8 months when this SNAFU kicked in. I'm going to contact consumer affairs and file a complaint. It may not get me a replacement TV but at least it will make for some inconveniences. Good luck on your TV hunt.

2.0 out of 5 stars First Vizio I've purchased, and the last., February 4, 2014
Jason C. Hill (Far Rockaway, NY United States) - See all my reviews
While the picture quality displayed on this television is impressive, and its smart TV functions are mostly good (the Amazon Instant Video app was the only one I thought was terrible), I'm afraid I can't recommend this TV, especially if you intend to use this model for gaming. That's because this TV will blur and smear colors in dark scenes.

On default settings, images are surrounded by a blue aura that smears across the screen at the slightest hint of motion. By fiddling with the color temperature settings I managed to reduce this, but now the colors green and red smear. I thought I could live with it, but it's highly annoying and it destroys the mood in games that rely on creating atmosphere. It's distracting when, for example, in a horror game you come across a pool of blood that blurs and smears. Then you turn around and the edges of the door smears so much that you have to wonder if the character you're playing is on acid.

This is most noticeable in games, but it is also present during TV viewing. In one show, a character left a trail of red smear as he walked down a dark hallway. This also happens when using the TVs built-in apps, so the problem is not with the HDMI cables.

I do not know if this is a flaw in all Vizio TVs, just the M series, or just this particular model. I seriously regret buying this TV. I give it 2 stars instead of 1 because, other than the smearing, this TV is amazing. It just so happens that the smearing makes this TV unsuitable for the function I purchased it to fulfill.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Bright But Smart, November 28, 2013
MattC (Omaha, Ne. United States) - See all my reviews
I have to say that when I first received this model I thought it had a great picture. I have to change that opinion after having it for a few days. I did finally return this Vizio. The picture is good if you are in a dark room. If you have a window with bright light coming through you will have a little trouble seeing the picture on this set. It just isn't bright enough for bright rooms. Trying every adjustment I could think of helped very little. I'm wondering why Vizio left the adaptive luma adjustment off of this model and feel that was a big mistake. It also doesn't have a richer color adjustment like some of the other models. It did seem to have very good color though without it. I have a 42" 3d model Vizio that stands up much better in brightly lit rooms. My 42" model does have the adaptive luma adjustment on it and I like that feature. I thought the smart features on this model worked very well and it was fast getting to Netflix and some of the other sites. I loved the fact that it found my network extremely fast and that a display at the top of the screen shows how strong the wireless signal is. The built in clock was a good idea. Anyway, I would only suggest buying this set if you don't have much light in the room you are placing it in. As far as sound, I think it is very good especially on the bass boost audio mode. The tv is rather heavy for a 40" flat panel and I do think that some of the weight is attributed to the built in subwoofer. I was told by customer service that there is real metal in the tv housing and bezel. I'm not sure this to be a fact though since some of the customer service people don't seem to know that much about this model. They are all nice though and you will have no trouble understanding what they say. One thing I want to add is about the remote. I've read many reviews about how awful the remote is. I actually liked it a lot. I like the fact it had backlighting and it felt just right in my hand. I didn't have the problems of getting no response when I pushed the buttons so I don't know if I just happened to get a better remote than most everyone else or what. I would not buy this model if I were you.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sleek design but ultimately disappointing picture., June 22, 2013
UPDATE 12/8/13: After owning this TV for six months, I still haven't perfected the color settings. I can't seem to find a happy balance between "dark" and "grainy"--not what you'd want out of a $500 TV. I watched Baylor win the Big 12 championship yesterday on a friend's Samsung (same size and year), and I regretted not spending the extra $200-$300 for a significantly nicer picture.

---

I received my M401i-A3 40" Vizio HDTV yesterday. Setup--from inserting the mount to connecting the TV to our WiFi took 10 minutes tops. While some might categorize this TV's razor-thin design as "marketing," I find its super thin, sleek design to be critically important value added to the already stunning picture. A TV is something you're obviously going to look at--why buy one that has a thick ugly border? This TV's image is enhanced by a razor thin border. 1080p / 120 Hz is also beautiful combination right out of the box. The only drawback we've noticed is that scanning between apps and typing using a remote can be frustratingly slow, so we'll probably be buying a universal remote with keyboard--wireless keyboards unfortunately can not be paired with this TV.

Having spent weeks digging through online sale opportunities for 40-46" 1080p HDTV's, we're happy we went with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture, Alright sound, Bad Hardware., March 29, 2014
So I tend to be a Samsung fan because they had never steered me wrong before. But after 14+ years with a Samsung LCD TV I was ready to move up to an LED. I had inquired with friends about the VIZIO models and received generally positive reviews. I also tend to use my tv to play games so I was looking for one with a good response time and this one seemed fit that bill so opted to give this one a shot.

The Good: It's picture is incredible. Crystal clear, runs much cooler than my LCD tv ever did. Setup was a snap, and surprisingly I used more of the smart features than I thought I would.

The Bad: It's speakers didn't have the clarity of my previous TV and that was somewhat of a letdown. Had sort of a "tinny" sound to it but after switching it do dynamic sound I noticed it less. The remote sucks, the buttons are barely functioning and you really need to press hard to get a reaction out of them so make sure you sync up your universal remote quickly. The power button is small and hidden in the back, and the instructions don't let you know its there. I felt like an idiot trying to figure out how to turn it on without the remote.

The Worst: This was the deal breaker with this TV. When the power of the TV is off, you will start to receive a high pitched whirring from the board that the power connects to. It can best be described as a Camera's Flash charging up or a Space Laser firing. It started off very low and barely audible, but as the days pass on it gets progressively louder. Its incredibly annoying and in a reasonably small room it makes it difficult to sleep. I had sent mine back and received a replacement from amazon only to find that this television did it as well and eventually it got worse.

its a shame because I was enjoying this TV but that sound was completely intolerable and the only sure fire way to fix it was to unplug the tv. That is a major inconvenience. This might have been ok in a larger room or one that I might not always be in, but for a bedroom TV this was a no go. I returned this and got a samsung instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars 40" M401i-A3-Great TV-bad remote control, August 3, 2013
E. Miller (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
The TV is very good. The picture is very crisp, sharp - and the wifi is flawless. We stream Amazon prime movies over wifi. The remote control is the problem. It randomly shuts itself off and will not connect with the TV. We have to remove the batteries, wait 30 seconds, and reinstall them. We tried fresh batteries - no difference. Power button, channel selector, volume control do not work until it re-initializes by taking out the batteries. Sometimes we have to repeat this 4 or 5 times before the remote begins working again - just to have it randomly shut off again. I have opened a case number with Vizio cutomer service. Has anyone else using this TV experienced the same remote control issues?

NOTE: We also have direcTV - the DirecTV remote works with the TV. It will turn on, change volume and channels. It will also open the menu to select Amazon prime, netflix, etc. The DirecTV remote will not open any of the menu choices to adjust TV settings. you still need the Vizio remote for controlling those functions.

UPDATE 8/18/13 - Vizio sent a new remote for the M401i-A3. The new remote has worked perfectly since it arrived a week ago. The one that came with the TV was defective. The new remote works every time.

FWIW, the tech support guys said that this TV/remote combination will have new software released in the future that will support wi-fi instead of infrared remote control. Something to look forward to as they release new software for the TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV but not so great audio, September 6, 2013
This is a fun TV to have in a den or bedroom. The size if perfect and the picture quality is awesome. The smart features are wonderful if you have Netflix or Hulu (you can start a movie from your tablet or smart phone and then send it to the TV). Now, for the sad part, the audio is pretty bad. There is no bass and it pretty much sounds like you're listening to TV through a pair of ear bugs that are 10ft away. I highly recommend that if you buy this TV to also buy the VIZIO S3821w-C0 38-inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer.

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: READ THIS FIRST!!!, July 3, 2014
ocxmichael (Sunny Southern California) - See all my reviews
Here's the rundown of everything you NEED to know before investing your hard earned money on this TV. Some quick facts so help make your decision when purchasing this model or brand!

Pros:

- picture is great!
- sounds is pretty loud & sounds very good!
- very thin! both bezels and from front to back!
- great design! the fake metal bezel gives it a very premium look, even though its made of plastic!
- ethernet & USB 2.0 port is a bonus
- stand is very sturdy and the metal design is great!
- apps, normal YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Yahoo weather & Amazon applications

Cons:

- Remote SUCKS (like other reviewers mentioned, the remote works 20-30 percent of the time)
- WiFi antenna in the TV only works close range (but it does have an ethernet port)
- only 3 HDMI ports
- dead/stuck pixels (went through 3 TV's, all of them had 2-6 blue/green/red stuck pixels)
- application interface is sluggish at times
- no browser
- only 120hz

Alternatives:

- buy a universal remote or another remote from Vizio, like the old 2012 E-Series remote with the keyboard on the back (yes, any of Vizio's remote will work with any of their TV's)
- buy a RoKu box or Apple TV to fix the problem with the slow apps or WiFi issues
- plug the ethernet cable in to fix the WiFi issues

Rate and Discover Movies