Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on June 17, 2012
Received this TV a couple of days ago and was very satisfied with everything it has. It's very lightweight, as a petite female, I was able to screw the TV to its stand and lift it to the table. Setup was easy, I was able to watch Netflix in a couple of minutes. In the beginning, the lighted Vizio logo was very annoying, till I found out that I was able to turn it off from the TV menu.

I sorta got an info overload from the Apps; so far I only setup Netflix and Yahoo! weather, the rest can wait (or I'll never use, due to the clumsy keyboard on the remote). List of preinstalled apps: Rhapsody, Yahoo! (Finance, Weather, News & Store), flickr, Netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon, YouTube, Skype, Twitter and Facebook.

Remote is ok (see attached pic). Too many small buttons on both sides, accidental pressing of the buttons can't be avoided.

One feature that this TV doesn't have (and my old dear tube TV from the 1990s had) is the wakeup feature. It has sleep feature though. Why not both? Hmmm...

Please note that this model is better than its cousin M420SL. Dynamic Contrast Ratio for SL 200,000:1 and KD (this model) 1,000,000:1.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments46 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2012
I was pretty excited to find this TV at first. Under $600 for a smart tv with four HDMI ports and a 120 Hz refresh speed? That should be awesome. The speakers in the front were a plus for me too, because most LCDs have rear or bottom facing speakers resulting in rather poor sound quality.

But I gotta say, after having this TV for a week, I am somewhat disappointed. Here are my issues:

1. The internet apps are terrible. Netflix doesn't have captioning and Amazon Instant Video doesn't even display the video choices correctly (so you can't see what movies are available until you directly scroll over each individual selection). I e-mailed Vizio about this to see if these apps could be updated in any way. Nope. I was just stuck with third-rate apps that couldn't hold a candle to my Roku. So I reconnected the Roku to my TV, which works fine, only it begs the question: why have a "smart" TV at all if you're just using your Roku? (Most Blu-Ray players have app functions these days too. I've really come to the conclusion that "smart" TVs are a waste of money.)

2. The remote is clunky and heavy. The QWERTY keyboard didn't even work on mine, which isn't a big deal because I don't really know what I'd use it for anyway. The buttons on the remote are super-small. Normally I wouldn't really complain about something as trivial as the remote, but this one is really remarkably bad.

3. The sound really isn't that good. It seems like most LCD TVs have poor sound so that's not typically an issue. But one of the selling points of this TV is that it has the front spacing speakers with "surround sound". The sound has a lot of hisses and so forth. Again, not remarkably terrible for LCD TVs, but not good either.

All in all I think this TV still presents good value for the money. It looks good and I think the picture is at least adequate for TVs in its class. I just wish they'd come out with decent apps and a usable remote. I'd recommend checking out this TV if you really have your heart set on a "smart" TV but don't have a ton of money to spend. But otherwise I think you're better off going with a high quality not-smart TV and hooking up a Roku or Apple TV.
11 comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2012
First off, I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else. As for the TV, I've very pleased with it. Its a little sluggish in the Smart TV apps area, and you can't run the apps in the background, like Pandora playing while you watch something, but why would you need to I guess. Would be cool to watch the game and listen to music at the same time for parties etc, but I have a stereo so w/e. Great picture once you tune the settings, and the blacks and contrast are great.

I am disappointed with the wireless file transfer/media server though. I thought I would be able to integrate with my network and stream video etc, but it isn't possible. Not even possible with a movie on a USB
drive..I think the new Vizio Tv box lets you do this, but I wish they would update their TV software...
on June 24, 2012
Overall a good TV. Picture quality is good, contrast and brightness leaves nothing to be desired, refresh rate and 120Hz is quite nice.

The response time when starting the Internet Apps, such as Netflix or Pandora, takes about 30 seconds if you're starting them up for the first time after turning on the TV. Also, it comes with a lot of apps that I didn't find useful. These can be uninstalled though, and new ones installed. Pandora isn't pre-installed, but can be downloaded easily. General TV turn-on time is also a bit longer than I'd like, about about 15 seconds.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I had the model E422VLE and it surpasses this model in many ways.
The brightness levels were better, the ambient light sensor was more sensitive/accurate, and the Netflix app had Closed Caption and Audio Settings available.
There is no way to update the apps at the moment.

The M420KD, has kind of a foggy/opaque display brightness to it. Sure it can be corrected, but only to a certain point.
The HDMI inputs are all on the left side of the set, this might be an inconvenience to many, since the cables will not be discrete.
Unlike many other sets out there, this one has an ethernet port for a more stable connection.

As for the price, I got a good deal at Costco. This set is light and thin. The Vizio logo, looks cool and you can turn on or off. It is compromised of many LEDs. If you turn the logo off, the hdtv set actually looks elegant.

This set will play avi, mp4, h264 and so on, the only files that it will not play from my library are mkv's. No biggie since my Blu-ray player can take care of that. It supporst USB and DLNA connectivity, it grabs share from my router and from computers that are sharing media in the house.

If you can get this set for less than the $600 that amazon is asking for, get it! There are no other sets out there available in this price range that has 120Hz, LED (edge-lit), 4 HDMI ports, and is a SMART TV.
on October 31, 2012
I now own 4 Vizio's and have bought several others for family members. These are great TV's with only one going bad,this was after an electrical issue in the home. I highly reccomend Vizio and if you are a tech guy go with the smart razors.They have a lot of features you will use. I have one 240hz Vizio with 3D, nice toy but only watch two channels in 3D. If you get one watch at least one 3D show it is amazing whilenot yet practical.
on October 15, 2012
We bought this because of a great price at Costco and because Costco doubles the one year warranty and has "concierge" ( in home) service if you have problems. So far it's been great. Not hard to set up and great picture.
on July 12, 2012
I bought this at Costco, not Amazon. We have had it about a week and it is going back to the store. The good: My husband says it was reasonably easy to set up though he did have to call Vizio customer service twice. Customer service was easy to reach, very helpful and friendly. The picture is good with some channels outstanding. The bad: (1) The sound is awful. Very tinny with audible hissss sound with the "S's." Sounds like a cheap radio. We diddled with the audio settings per instructions from Vizio but it made almost no difference. I understand that the speakers on these thin sets are not great, but there has to be a 42" screen out there with better audio than this. No way to attach external speakers. (2) Takes forever to change channels or go to on-demand or DVR. Black screen just seems to sit there forever. Together, these two issues are deal breakers for us. Other problems for us (though I did not factor them into my rating): The volume range is rather limited, i.e., the top volume is loud but nowhere near as loud as other TV's I've owned. You need to adjust the volume bar pretty far up to get a moderate level and we can't find an internal adjustment for this. The stand does not swivel. Sorry, but I can't comment on the Smart TV features. Because of the audio and slow channel surfing we didn't bother trying out these features.
66 comments20 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2012
Has a great picture, however does not have a digital audio out, had to get an adapter to work with my surround sound system. Probably not worth the price, and Amazon's TV guarantee is worthless since they have manufacturers stick an extra letter at the end of the model # just for Amazon.
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2012
I bought this even after reading the questionable reviews. First off, the picture is absolutely incredible. I would say roughly equivalent to other televisions costing twice as much. The remote is fine. I have not accidentally hit one of the reverse side keyboard buttons once. It is a bit slow to process what you are typing when entering text like passwords, but I'm not planning on using it as a word processor. Netflix also works well and is not slow by my standards. The only knit is I could not connect through wifi with my tethered Iphone4. It's a known issue, but there's no solution. Regular wifi works perfectly.