Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more

on August 14, 2012
We bought this Vizio 42" last week and are very happy with it. Crystal clear picture and great sound. Easy to set up and the remote is nice. My only issue was I couldn't handle the Vizio logo on front being lit up white while watching, it was very distracting to me so I wrote to Vizio to ask about how to turn it off and they sent me the following instructions that thankfully worked.
To turn the Vizio light on or off:
1. Press the MENU button on the remote. The on-screen menu is displayed.
2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight the Settings icon and press OK. The Settings menu is displayed.
3. Highlight LED Logo Settings and press OK.
4. Use the Up/Down Arrow buttons to select On or Off, then press OK.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2013
I bought this TV a few months ago from a large retailer on sale. Of all the TV's that offered 120Hz refresh rate, this was about $150 cheaper. I thought that it was an amazing deal considering the full price was equivalent to competitor brands of similar specifications. The picture quality is outstanding, and I couldn't be pleased more for the price I paid. However, after my father bought a new TV with the same specs except for the size (42" for me, 40" for him) I realized that my motion blur seemed a bit lacking. After extensive research, I have found that the "120Hz refresh rate" is an artificial and boosted "spec". Vizio claims it's 120Hz SPS or Scenes Per Second. Basically what it does is, the TV itself attempts to create additional images of each frame and insert them between the native frames. While this is clearly better than a native 60Hz tv, it is nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE, near the clarity of a native 120Hz TV. It is a good TV and I am genuinely impressed by the quality to value, but I warn future buyers to ensure that they get everything they expect out of the price they're paying for their TV.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2012
First off I must say that you are paying a fraction of the price for a similar Samsung or LG TV. This one is American made so for me that was an added plus. The picture is great, the setup was easy. Personally, I don't look for my TV to be able to surf the web, however, I do want it to have automatic firmware updates, and able to get to services like NetFlix and Amazon on demand. This TV does that and more. The double sided remote works great for setup and searching. I got mine for $750, so as long as it keeps working I'm having a hard time finding issue. Buy the way, I mounted it on the wall, way too easy, the TV is lite and when needed it "hides" really nicely, compared to the old Plasma that was in the same spot.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2012
We have been very pleased with this television. Setup was a snap - you plug in your cables, select the source, and set up the WiFi. It took five minutes, if that. The picture is very good whether on 1080p Blu-Ray and on lower resolution images. The internet apps are also easy to use, we had Netflix and Pandora running in just a few minutes as well. The Netflix app could use some work - I find the AppleTV much easier to use Netflix with.

HDMI sound from cable broadcasts is the one major issue I had with it. We have AT&T U-Verse and it would constantly break up. The problem didn't happen on DVD or Blu-Ray. Nor does it happen on any other TV we have in the house using HDMI from the U-Verse boxes. From what I can see on the Internet, this is not uncommon with some HDMI sources and can usually be fixed by changing a sync setting on the TV. Even after doing this, we still saw the issue. U-Verse is 1080i, though, so we just switched back to component video and audio (which supports up to 1080i) for U-Verse and the problem went away. It's still disappointing to have the problem, however.

The only other issue (minor) is that the remote doesn't control anything except the TV. We will probably have to get a universal remote now.

Overall, we are very pleased with the purchase.
on September 25, 2012
I found this TV on Amazon, and purchased it from a reseller, Secondipity. When it arrived, one corner of the box was torn. I unpacked the TV, and it wasn't inside a protective bag, and the foam bolsters that hold the TV in place were poorly placed to prevent the TV from shifting inside the box. There was mud and grass on the corner of the TV that was by the hole in the box. I checked the contents, and the only thing missing was any form of documentation. So far, it isn't looking good.

I went ahead and hooked up the TV to see if it worked, and to my surprise, everything worked and there were no dead pixels, in-spite of the way the TV had been repackaged and abused. I cleaned it up and set it up. I didn't contact Secondipity to complain about the packaging since I was keeping the TV and it wouldn't do any good. With that said, I will never purchase anything else from Secondipity. I gave them one shot, and they blew it. You may have a different experience, but you've been warned.

The TV has a great picture, lots of features and the setup was easy. The biggest problem with it is the remote control. It is too small for the number of buttons and for this reason, the buttons are too small. The up-down-left-right buttons are hard to use due to the diminutive size. It might be OK for someone with small hands, but for medium to large hands, it's awkward. I have a "learning remote" that I have tried to program, but it won't take some of the signals from the Vizio remote, so, I'll just have to put up with this tiny awkward remote.

The sound is acceptable. I don't like the sound on most flat-panel TV's because most have the same sound quality as two tin cans and a string. As with any TV, you'll only get great sound with a sound system, but at least this one is one of the better sounding TV's.

I've been having fun with the internet apps, but haven't made any commitment to any paid service yet. The built-in WiFi works good. I only wish that it was dual-band so I could use it on the 5GHz band. I don't know if any TV manufacturer makes a dual-band TV, but I'm sure they will be out in the near future.

If it weren't for the remote control, I would have given this TV 5 stars. Since I have large hands, it only gets 4 stars.

UPDATE:

After posting this review, I received an email from Secondipity. They offered me a $50 refund on the TV which I accepted. Their email said:

"We sincerely apologize the item was delivered to you in the manner that it was. We will file an investigation with the warehouse to see why the item was shipped in that manner. All items are to be tested and inspected before shipment."

This does make me feel better about doing business with them in the future, knowing that they actually do care about how things are shipped and customer satisfaction.

On another note, I have purchased a Vizio XRU300 8-Device Universal Learning Remote. It has all of the buttons of the original remote with the exception of the App buttons (Amazon, Netflix, Vudu), but since it is a learning remote, these buttons can be programmed on some other unused buttons. It also has larger buttons, and since it can control multiple devices... this is the remote to use for a Vizio TV. It works my sound system, DVR, DVD, and has left over buttons for other devices. Since it is a "Learning" remote, buttons can be reprogrammed to suit your needs. If it only had macros, it would be perfect. Also, it doesn't have the Qwerty keyboard on the back, but, I don't really use that very often. It can be found for around $20.
on October 14, 2012
Why this product got Four Stars:
1. Ultra-slim profile
2. Good built-in sound
3. Great picture
4. Visio Apps are great(Has Youtube, Netflix, etc.)
5. Size is great at 42"
6. Keyboard on remote is great to have when trying to search Youtube and Netflix

Why it does not get 5 stars:
1. No built-in web bowser Visio App
2. No S-Video connection for devices without HDMI
3. Feedback for keyboard on remote is lacking(you have to press keys hard)
4. Skype App requires you to purchase a Visio Webcam ($80) extra; Skype won't work without it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 8, 2013
Well, this was a bad experience. I purchased this from an Amazon marketplace seller. The TV stopped working after 11 months. I contacted Vizio and they told me it was liquidated via Wal-Mart and sold through an un-authorized reseller on Amazon (One Stop Shop) and that the warranty was null and void. So basically I am out $625+ for a TV that didn't last a year. The TV was a bit flaky to start with but it worked and the picture was fine. But a TV should last more than a year. Amazons shouldn't allow resellers to sell stuff on their site with no warranty unless it is very explicitly called out. Next time I buy a Samsung from Costco (where they always take it back). I'm a big time Amazon customer and really unhappy about this. Google online and you'll see that Vizio TVs break down in 12-24 months all the time. Wish I searched the Internet first. Don't waste your money on a Vizio.
on March 7, 2013
We got this kind of Vizio Razor last November, and it has been outstanding. It has a crystal clear picture, equally clear sound, and it's practically paper-thin. Before we got this TV, I had read many reviews for other brands of high-definition TVs that mentioned bad sound quality. Some of the most expensive brands had reviews that complained of muffled or metallic sound quality, but the sound quality of this Vizio Razor is perfect. The sound on several of our home movies used to be pretty hard to hear, but when we watched some of them on our new Vizio the sound quality was loud and clear. This was before we even bought a Blu-Ray player; this TV improved the sound on home movies played on standard-definition DVD players!

After we got our Blu-ray player, we really got a taste of what this TV can do. I didn't know a TV could have a picture that clear and defined. You can really see the picture quality when you pause a Blu-Ray movie, the paused image looks like a photo taken with a new digital camera.

LED technology makes a huge difference in picture quality, but it also has several other advantages. Until fairly recently, the picture displays on LCD TVs were backlit with florescent bulbs; but LCD TVs that are backlit with LED lights (like this one) are much better. LED lights last longer than florescent bulbs, and LED lights don't contain any mercury.

It also has wireless internet access. It is amazing how you can access YouTube and play movie trailers right on the TV.
This Vizio Razor is also compatible with the new TV Guardian (a device that edits out bad language from shows and movies).
on August 11, 2012
Great TV, great picture, great apps, well made. No problems. Got it for $430 with some promotions. Heh... took 10 minutes to set up with Aurum HDMI cables and DirecTV Home Media Center DVR.

Olympics look great.
on April 5, 2013
This TV is a superb performer in terms of picture quality, feature set and user friendliness, all for a very good price. Comparing it to a 3 year old Sanyo LCD, (720p/60 Hz), the difference is quite dramatic. The picture has excellent contrast ratio (roughly the ratio of the brightest white to the deepest black that the light panel can produce). This measure (if not fudged by the manufacturer, which many, many televisions these days are), "should" indicate how "brilliant", "alive" or "dynamic" the picture will appear. Do not, under any circumstances trust published specs by the manufacturer. Many are grossly exaggerated, and few, if any, state how these measurements are made. Some others are just plain advertized incorrectly. I saw two TVs at the local Wal-Mart that showed two Vizio TVs with a contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1, when it plainly should have been 200,000. Off by a factor of 10, but who's counting?

Suffice it to say, this TV, with a claimed contrast ratio of 200,000:1, has a brilliant and dynamic picture. It is the sort of TV that if seen on a wall of TVs, will jump out at you for three factors: image clarity, color saturation and "dynamic liveliness" of the picture. Don't get me wrong, this is not a $2500 Samsung. Its motion clarity is not nearly as good. The overall picture quality is not nearly as good. The feature set, however, is every bit as good as the elite TVs.

There are many outstanding and well implemented features on this TV. They include, but are not limited to:

1. 4 HDMI inputs
2. Analog Audio Out (3.5 mm headphone type jack) for use with wireless headphones and such.
3. Optical Digital Out for use with soundbars and older non-hdmi switching home theater amps.
4. The sensitivity of the TV tuner is very good, and the signal level and other info is available from a "system" menu.
5. WIFI and Internet Apps
6. Nice, but not exceptional remote (no back light), but has full QWERTY keyboard on back)

The WIFI setup was quick and easy. It found the SSID of my router immediately and connected with no problems. Performance is impressive based on two measures: throughput and signal strength. The TV is about 30 feet away and one floor up from the router. I consistently see > 4.5 Mb/s from my 6.0 Mb/s connection, even during the evening. There is a nice speed utility built into the TV that shows the throughput of the connection. I had no problem streaming HDX (1080p from Vudu) or Netflix HD. There were no interruptions or pixellation for either service. There is a little bar graph and icon that appear briefly at the top right corner of the display which show signal strength (mine shows full scale). It looks like this TV's WIFI would see the router easily from the other end of the house (although this is an A-Frame open construction scenario).

One Caveat: The TV is listed as 120 Hz refresh rate. It isn't really. As one other reviewer noted, Vizio plays a game with the refresh rate that does reduce motion blur, but it is not truly 120 Hz refresh. Consumer Reports took note of this and lists this TV's refresh rate as 60 Hz. There is no "smooth motion" adjustment in the menu...for a very good reason, this TV does not have Vizio's traditional "smooth motion" technology. That's one reason why it is less expensive. It is also why the higher end Samsung that I own, and other higher end Vizios (with true smooth motion) are clearly superior to the M420SL when it comes to ameliorating motion artifacts that LCDs are so well known for. It should also be noted that some people do not like smooth motion, period, and turn it off, so I would not make a purchasing decision on this TV based on the 120 Hz shortcoming.

Summary:

A TV rich in features that are actually useful, with a strikingly beautiful picture at a moderate price. While lacking a web browser, its internet features and performance should more than satisfy those interested in Vudu, NetFlix and assorted internet widgets/apps.