Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on June 14, 2013
I have had this TV for a couple of weeks now and am very pleased.

Pros:
- Amazing feature set at this price.
- Great color performance.
- Good settings control.
- Very nice styling/thin bezel.
- 3D is awesome!

Cons:
- Actual Response time is greater than you'd expect on a pseudo 240Hz (120Hz actual) panel.
- TV doesn't respond to remote unless it is pointed specifically at the lower left corner.

Technical findings:
- The optical out will provide up to DD5.1 from the HDMI inputs (not DTS). If you have an HDMI from your cable/sat box, then you don't need to run the optical from the box to your receiver. You can run it from the TV directly and be able to get digital audio from the box, OTA, and the Smart side of the TV (Netflix, YouTube, etc.).
- You must register the TV (which is done via the TV when you first turn it on), and have it connected to the internet (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) in order to get firmware updates. Updates only occur when Vizio 'pushes' the update for the model/serial number block. Those updates should occur to all affected TVs within 30 days of the 'launch' of the
update. There is no way to manually update the TV.
- Harmony remote users: As of the time of this review (14 June 2013), only the buttons that are on the remote are available. There are discrete codes available for the inputs, and power.
on March 18, 2015
Such as I do, IF you use this TV through a cable TV DVR, a satellite TV DVR, or a Tivo DVR, who all have very good program and channel listing guides; and IF you use this TV with an external sound bar (with the TV's speakers set to OFF), THIS IS A 5 STAR TV. The channel and program listing guide on this TV is CRAP, giving you information ONLY on the program you are currently tuned in to--it won't give you a listing of multiple programs. Being a razor, the speakers are in the backside of the tv (facing the wall), and they sound cheap and "tinny"--they are crap. I bought a Vizio Sound Bar--excellent sound quality. After, and with some effort, I adjusted the "Picture Settings" to my satisfaction, I found this tv to have a FABULOUS hi-def picture. The preset picture modes just don't do it for me, none of them satisfy me or look right (on any hdtv), and that is the reason for adjusting the "Picture Settings" and creating your own picture mode or modes. I bought this TV 14 months ago. I love the Smart TV apps--use them ALL the time. BE ADVISED: The 3D works good, but there's not much 3D out there being offered. There are no 3D television programs. Redbox does not offer 3D rentals. You can stream 3D movies off of one of the apps, but they are relatively expensive, and there is not a wide selection. Some are, but most current movies are NOT produced in 3D. I think I jumped the gun on this one, but I'm sure more 3D will be coming in the near future. Remember, your Blu-ray player, your AV receiver (if you use one) and your TV all have to be 3D compatible for 3D to work. Sound bars won't play hi-def sound if they don't have digital connections, such as for a digital optical cable from the bar to the TV. HDMI cables, my opinion only, "are the only way to go" for connecting your equipment to your TV--and this Vizio has 4 HDMI inputs! I love this thing.
on June 28, 2014
I have had tech support at my house 4 times in less than a year because of the issues with this TV. I have 4 Vizio TV's never had an issue until this one.

1. Wireless didn't work out of the box. Change wireless card
2. TV will turn off then right back on. I have to unplug it to turn it off. Change Motherboard.
3. Sound is off from mouth on TV. None of the setting fix it I have to turn it from Non-HD to HD channel to fix for the moment.
4. TV will lose sound when changing channels. I have to turn TV off then back on to get sound back. Yes, I have tried multiple HDMI cables.
5. Hook up to Pioneer receiver. The TV video blinks off to on every 5-10 min. Never had an issue with my Phillips 47.
6. The Remote is terrible. Not just the remote but the device in the TV that reads the remote. I bought a new Logitech programmable remote and it still doesn't read it well.
7. Now again TV will not turn off.

I'm done with this TV.. It was bought in August of 2013.
on June 26, 2013
This was my first tv purchase since buying an Olevia LCD back in 2006 and can I say I'm extremely impressed. I have a 42" Olevia LCD that has lasted (and is still lasting) for 7 years and bought this because I have been researching LEDs for the last six months. I ended up purchasing this tv because this model just recently came out by Vizio and has an incredible array of features. It is not as slim as some of the ultra thin 1.25" LEDs but 1.75" is not bad at all. Plus the 240 HZ refresh rate is an added bonus as most LEDs come with 60 or 120 HZ. The 3D looks great because of this high refresh rate and the 1080p video looks excellent as well. My roommates have a 60" LG LCD and a 55" Samsung plasma and I think this Vizio LED has the best picture out of them all.

The apps are easy to access and work great! After connecting to my wifi fairly easily and quickly, all the apps worked right out of the box. It is a bit of a hassle to sign into every account you have with the standard remote since there is no keyboard but it's not too awful. You do have to press a little hard on the buttons to get immediate response time, but I'm hoping that it'll be a lot easier after wearing in the remote a little. The sensor for the remote is located at the bottom left corner of the tv so I found that it does respond best when you point the remote in that general direction (duh!).

So far I am in love with this LED tv even though it has only been two days since I bought it. I've already spent 8+ hours watching it! I hope it lasts for a long time like my Olevia did!
on January 31, 2015
13 MONTHS AND IT'S DOWN. I PURCHASE THE 5 YEAR COVERAGE. GLAD I DID AS I WOULD HAVE BEEN OIUT $800.00. IT HAS BEEN MESS GETTING SOMEONE OIUT AND THE TV REPLACED. BUT, WHAT IS NOT A MESS IN THIS DAY AND AGE WHEN IT COMES TO REPAIRED.
on October 23, 2014
TV is malfunctioning after only 9 months of use. The screen has gone dark and blurry. Amazon will only refer you to the manufacturer, and VIZIO is a nightmare to deal with on fixing the TV. After 3 weeks -- and promises to fix the TV -- I have not received a phone call from VIZIO or the HD repair service that they use. I would think twice about buying a VIZIO TV. They are not in any hurry to offer support for defective products. I should have bought a TV from WalMart or Costco.
on December 15, 2013
After much research, we finally settled on the Vizio M501d with passive versus active 3D. In the price range under $800 we have found it to be a phenomenal value. The highlights of our experience thus far follows. We will update this review in the future as our experience develops.

* Simple assembly right out of the box. Took 8 screws to attach the bottom to the top and it was ready to go.

* Interfacing with the cable box and 3D Bluray player was seamless. We just needed an HDMI cable for each.

* Setup took a total of 3 connections with the power cable.

* Picture quality is outstanding. The black is very black and the colors are vibrant.

* Ambient light does not interfere significantly in the quality of the picture like it did with our older Vizio flatscreen with conventional backlight.

* Sound quality is good - par for this class of TV.

* Passive 3D quality is amazing. With the included 8 pairs of viewing glasses this TV delivers a theater quality experience.

* Normal 2D viewing is better than we were getting with our older Vizio (which was pretty good) and impressed us with its clarity and depth of color the first time we turned it on.

* The Vizio apps are easy to use and initialize quickly. Connection to our wireless internet was very straight forward.

* It is a Smart TV, if you load a disc in the Bluray player, the TV will turn itself on and go to the proper HDMI input automatically. The TV will automatically prompt you to select 3D mode when a 3D disc is in the player.

* TV volume is controlled by the cable remote.

* We added Boston Acoustics TVee One TV Speaker Base with Bluetooth to enhance and better control sound quality for various viewing experiences. The Vizio M501d has a pedestal that fits perfectly on top of the speaker which fits perfectly in the space in our entertainment cabinet.

In the spirit of keeping things simple, this is a set-up that our entire family can enjoy without having to wait for the resident AV/IT Tech to get home from work.
on November 27, 2013
I love this TV. I've had HDTV's in the past, but it always seemed my friends TV's looked better. No matter how hard I tried to calibrate the picture they just never looked as good. I am happy to say that this TV has an amazingly beautiful picture, without having to fiddle with it much. It is really light and I can lift it by myself without much trouble. The 3D picture on the TV isn't bad with some movies looking better than others. Not sure if this is the TV's fault or the movies, but I would guess the movies. The TV can play 3D movies from a flash drive plugged into one of the USB ports. Also most pairs of 3D glasses I have kept from watching movies at the theater work on this TV. I dont use the remote except to open up the apps on the rare occasion I want to use them, but the remote feels good in the hand and is backlit. You do have to point it directly at the TV in order for it to work, not really much of a deal breaker if you ask me. I can see how some may find it a deal breaker though. Also unlike my last super slim TV this one does not have a power brick you have to find a place to stick.

On another note i have tried everything I have read here to get my TV to update its firmware to use the Wifi function of the remote. I haven't had any luck yet though.

Sum it up:

Pros
Light weight
Amazing picture
3D picture good
USB port plays 3D movies from flash drive
Most 3D glasses from the movie theater work
Backlit remote
No power brick

Cons
Have to point the remote directly at the TV in order for it to respond
slight glare in a brightly lit room
No Plex App
Wifi remote not working yet
on December 1, 2013
Pros :Brilliant picture. Vivid colors. Easy set up. Good sound. Extremely thin design. Found that adjusting the color and hue to my own preference gave a superior picture than the out of the box settings.
Cons: Blacks are not prefect- on completely black screen with white titles, get a good deal of edge flare and around white titles on black get a white shadow around. However, this is a common flaw I read about and it is not the worst thing in the world given the great picture. The smoothing effect in the picture setting can sometimes look artificial, for example , watching a movie in that mode can make the people look like they were filmed on a soap opera set, that video look rather than film look. Fortunately, you can shut it off if it is bothersome. Also, the auto sound leveling can sometimes elevate background sounds to prominence creating a very annoying effect. Again, easily remedied by turning off the effect.

Bought the 3-D, "M" Series , not because I watch many 3-D movies , but because of the better boards they put in these models. Much richer picture than the "E" Series,
on January 26, 2016
We've had this TV for several years now and never had any issues with it. I really like Vizio products in general for their price, overall value and quality and I am really glad we decided to buy this one. I do wish there were more apps available, but we have other ways to access the Internet through the TV so it's really no issue at all.