1,154 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lies among the reviews of this product
Published 12 months ago by Zaine Ridling

I purchased the VIZIO S3820w-CO Sound Bar for my daughter to use with a VIZIO TV that is mounted on the wall in her room. This sound bar is a nice complement to her TV and is a perfect fit for a medium size TV.

Pros
- Stylish look
- Bluetooth Streaming
- Good stereo sound with nice low end bass
- Easy mounting

Cons
- No on...
Published 12 months ago by Edwin Swiatkowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lies among the reviews of this product, September 27, 2013
This review is from: VIZIO S3820w-C0 38-Inch 2.0 Home Theater Sound Bar with Integrated Deep Bass (Electronics)
Seems no one read either the box or the directions before installing this. It's stupid simple and works perfectly with my 47" LG TV. Hook it up to your TV, plug it into the outlet, turn on your TV, change your audio settings for external output via the recognized Vizio soundbar, and voila! it works. Remote works just fine, too, but it's not needed since it integrates with both my TV and cable remote. The sound quality is just as advertised -- a nice deep bass for movies and music and stereo for dialogue. No need for a subwoofer and it will blast the room full of sound! I would definitely recommend, as this is a high quality sound bar for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, September 14, 2013
I bought this sound bar to use with my 32" Vizio HDTV in my bedroom. It sounds great. Of course, it won't replace a home theater system but if you want to improve the sound of your TV in a bedroom or small apartment, it is perfect. The hookup was very easy. I had it hooked up in less than 5 minutes. It has inputs for RCA cable (included), coaxial cable and digital optical cable (included). An optional subwoofer can also be added if you want more bass. All in all, I would recommend this sound bar to anybody who wants a big improvement in sound over their TV's speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars small to mid size room perfect for those who want to hear clear crisp dialog with warm bass (not thumping), November 26, 2013
If you are considering this product you probably fall into the category of needing space, want something to look cool, and above all sound good. With this price point leave the expectations a bose cinemate experience. In a 20x20-ish room this will fill easily. The 96db rating that the manufacturer gives isn't a typical number people wrap their heads around and hard to compare competition with watt numbers. After some digging, I believe it is above 100 watts. Many at this price point is more like 60 watts. (but note that 60 watts is not half the volume of 130. Wattage continues to be a marketing tool to impress the consumer with big numbers. It is not one to one ratio with volume)

I paired this bar with one of Samsung's led the (6300 series) and as sleek as it was, the sound is bad. I mean it is anemic as its form factor. And if you have one and you don't think it's bad, then you will be blown away when you hear this bar.

Okay sound. It is crisp. Compared to lets say the typical sony bar, which is bass oriented, but muffled. The integrated deep bass that this bar is talking about, think more of the similar if not the same technology as the bose sound link blue tooth devices. (which is amazing for its size by the way) It gives warmth and body to make the sound feel whole. It especially is convincing in movies and dialogue. It allows for separate bass and treble adjustments, but realistically: you won't want to take the bass less than its maximum, and maybe treble you may want to go anywhere from its max to maybe 2 steps down if you find it to sharp. It has simulated surround which works well. Bluetooth pairing was a cinch. I didn't like it for music as much but it's okay. (i found myself putting eq to flat from my phone and using the vizio sound adjustments instead as it seemed to compete. Like if you have a bass eq setting on your phone already and then you up the bass on the bar, it reaches it's breaking point and sounds muddier)

If you want to feel bone rattling, room shaking bass, you won't. You need a sub. (this is ready for a sub output if you so choose to add one later)
The good:
inexpensive, good design, crisp, clear dialog, and some bass, great connectivity inclusive of even the optical wire, small form factor, well-built

The not so good: perhaps was its visual interface which is a row of led lights for all your adjustments. So if you wanted to adjust bass, you arrow right or left to make the led move from left to right instead of a number value or even showing the word bass. But I drive a mini cooper (so I'm no stranger to more quirky interfaces) But realistically, I don't foresee most people needing to tinkering with it much after the first time aside from volume.

My other consideration was the Polk 2000 sound bar. And it has an even higher watt rating for a non sub sound bar around similar pricing. But what knocked it out of the running ultimately was the fact that it lacked sound decoding like dts. Depending on your tv and how you mount/not mount things, you may consider looking for the feature where you can send your IR signal through the bar which those that don't (like this one) may block your remote signal to the tv. (not the case for me as the stand and the height of this bar was very close and limit the overlap to physically block tv remote signal. And i listened to all the LGs at and Samsungs at the bulk rate stores but they weren't crisp to me. Where bass was more their concern. (but in all fairness, i didn't have the remote to tinker with their settings)

UPDATE: a month or so goes by and the optical input ceased to work. (tested with different cables and different optical output devices/ hard power unplugs etc. Tried customer service email and didn't get more than an automated received email reply so instead of waiting for VIZIO, I returned it for another and will see if it was just a fluke.)

UPDATE: Since my replacement, it has been flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH IMPROVED SOUND, October 22, 2013
Got this for a parent who is losing hearing. Most new HDTV's come with downward firing mediocre speakers. So instead of fixing that problem for you they sell you an "add on" sound bar. While frustrating, this sound bar works. If you think you will be able to watch Star Wars and shake the whole house you may want to consider what type of system is really required for that experience. This is NOT it.

However, if you want crisp punchy vocals, nice spacious background content, some bottom end, a DTS feature that evens out the sound level on all program material (softens commercials and increases low level volume on some channels) then this will do it. This one fits a 32" TV perfectly. The larger ones are probably even better. Set up is easy and if you have the right remote control you can set things up to control the volume of the sound bar and leave the TV sound off.

Sound quality is improved 100% and hearing impaired parent can now enjoy news and shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Sound For A Great Price, November 17, 2013
Update 7/30/2014:
Wanted to post a quick update for a couple reasons. First, I just wanted to say that I've had the 38" soundbar for about 8 months now, and it's still going strong. In fact, I like it so much that I just purchased the 29" version for my smaller bedroom TV, and it works just as well.

I also wanted to quickly address some of the negative reviews I've seen. Nothing frustrates me more than seeing someone give a product a low rating simply because they are using it improperly or otherwise have unrealistic expectations. I noticed one review where the person complained that the sound bar can't be connected to a receiver, but rather is meant to hook up to the TV directly. A couple others complain that the sound is out of sync when both the TV speakers and soundbar are turned on. Both of these issues stem from the same place, and that is an apparent lack of understanding of the fact that A SOUNDBAR IS SUPPOSED TO REPLACE YOUR TV'S SPEAKERS. That is its sole purpose in life (along with streaming music via Bluetooth, if desired). The instructions even state that you should connect the soundbar to your TV, then change your settings to disable the TV's built-in (and assuredly terrible) speakers. They are not meant to work in unison. This unit is not meant to hook up to a receiver or otherwise be part of some complicated chain. The soundbar plugs into the TV, and the audio that used to come out of your crappy TV speakers now comes out of this sleek, great-sounding unit instead. End of story, and rant.

Original Review:
Bought this for use with a 52" LG HDTV. The funny thing is that I've noticed several reviewers complaining that their Vizio TV remotes don't work with the soundbar, but I discovered quite by accident that my LG remote does. Have it connected directly to the TV via the included optical cable, and I'm very impressed by the sound this thing pumps out. I was never happy with the TV's built-in speakers, and lately trying to watch dialogue-heavy shows had been driving me crazy due to lack of clarity. I was looking for a relatively cheap/easy solution, and this has proven to be exactly what I needed. I'm using it in a fairly large finished basement, and I'm very impressed and surprised by the sound it cranks out. I was just using it while watching The Hobbit on blu-ray, and it sounded every bit as full and impressive as the last home theater system I owned. For the price (even though it's gone up $8 since I bought it last week), I can't recommend it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, easy setup, November 27, 2013
wbentrim (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
VIZIO S5430W-C2 54-Inch 3.0 Soundbar
Price: $299.99.

This is the third sound bar that I have tested. While the $1000.00 Yamaha sound bar is better than this one for spoofing the sound direction, it is not substantially better in the face on front sounds. BTW when they say 54" they mean 54" which with a 40" TV looks a bit silly. Regardless of looks, the sound is great. The setup was fairly straight forward and I had excellent sound in less than 5 minutes.

Then it got more interesting. The programming of the unit was pretty easy. Getting it to run on my Comcast remote was not as easy as I hoped. It took a few minutes to figure out the somewhat murky instructions. I know have the volume and mute working with the Comcast remote. I struggled to no avail to get the unit's on/off to synch with the Comcast remote. That is not a terrible hardship as it has an econo mode which simply turns the sound bar after a period of no input. So you really only need the Vizio remote once a day to turn the unit it on. Or heaven forbid you could pry yourself out of your Barko Lounger and physically turn the sound bar on.

The bluetooth syncing worked very simply. It was so smooth that I didn't realize I was connected. The music from my tablet sounded great. When I wanted to switch back to TV I overlooked the input button and had a momentary panic as I couldn't figure out how to get back to the TV. Then I looked a 1/4" to the left and saw the input button, had an ahha moment and was back in the groove. So bluetooth works simply and well.

I played with the center console section that is supposed to enhance dialogue. Frankly I didn't see any difference before and after.

I'm not a sound engineer so no technical stuff here. The unit gives me high quality sound and simple setup. I do wonder how well it will sell at the $299.00 price tag when 50" screens are dropping so much in price, the perceived value might not work when compared to the TV price.

►103dB of room-rocking, crystal clear sound with less than 1% total harmonic distortion
►Deep Bass Modules add serious low end frequency without the need for an external subwoofer
►Connect to your TV with an easy, one-cable setup - HDMI-in, HDMI-out (ARC), analog and digital input options (all cables included in the box).
►Wirelessly stream your music from a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. Sound ►Pressure Level measured using pink noise at 1 meter, C-weighted. Total harmonic distortion calculated as electrical measurement of amplifier distortion.
►Source Bluetooth playback device must be enabled with aptX technology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade your TV's sound for $100, November 8, 2013
After reviewing dozens of sound bars, we ended up going with this relatively inexpensive one. Our old surround sound system had bit the dust, and I can't stand the tinny sound out of the Sharp Aquos 60" speakers. They are horrible. At the same time, Christmas and Birthdays are coming, so I needed to go on the inexpensive side and solve this problem, as we watch a lot of TV after work. So on that level it sure sounds a heck of a lot better than the TV and has better surround than my old Phillips system (Where I didn't have the speakers all spread out to avoid dangling wires)

The sound is rich and full, it did a good job with American Horror Story last night. At the same time, this is not some banging sound system, it's more of an upgrade to your TV sound, which is what you would expect for the pricing. You'll have to get used to the LED lights on the left end of the bar and learning what they mean, so far it seems pretty intuitive. Obviously there is no "on screen display." When you turn it up, the tiny white LEDs increase, decrease etc. Looks pretty cool.

The bar was read by my Logitech Revue Google TV and now everything is controlled with that remote or my Android phone. Speaking of phones, no problem with the bluetooth pairing at all which is pretty cool. No more AUX jack action necessary.

Overall I'm pretty happy, but definitely not blown away. It does have a sub out so I can add a sub later on. In summary, really great for watching TV, it has the dialogue enhancement and the sound leveler for loud ads. We'd always had problems picking out dialogue on the old system, then turning it up to hear what they are saying, and then getting BLASTED by an explosion or something. That is almost worth it in itself, it looks like they've solved that. It's a nice upgrade to your TV sound, but it's not enough to drive music for a big party. For $100 it's one of the least expensive sound bars. It looks cool, feels heavy and like a quality piece and tucks right in front of my Sharp 60. Easy to install, just plug it to the TV and power chord.

When installing, give the bar a a second to recognize the source.

I had an issue setting up the included optical in the back of the TV, it just wouldn't "connect" so we went with the standard RCA cables. I'll probably revisit that. If it is a problem it looks like it's with my TV, not the included hardware.

UPDATE: Was able to get the Optical cable working. They just don't plug in "tight" but it's working fine. For some reason, I got nothing from the Pioneer Blu Ray player. Ran the RCA's to it, now I can change source and get it too. I think that problem lies with the Blu ray player. Or me. Keep the quick guide out to be able to decipher the source light patterns.

I just got this last night, updates as they come.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Sound Bar, good sound quality and easy to mount but has some quirks., September 3, 2013
Edwin Swiatkowski (Round Lake, IL USA) - See all my reviews

Pros
- Stylish look
- Bluetooth Streaming
- Good stereo sound with nice low end bass
- Easy mounting

Cons
- No on screen display for setup
- Can't use VIZIO TV remote to control the sound bar.

The manual for the sound bar states that you can use one of the special "button press" combinations to activate the TV Remote mode. This is supposed to allow you to control the sound bar power and volume functions using the VIZIO TV remote. After several tries and not getting the power function to work, I called VIZIO support and they were't very helpful. After getting escalated to the next level of support, they informed me that you can't use the regular VIZIO TV remotes to control powering on / off the sound bar. It has to be one of their universal remotes. Unfortunately, most of the VIZIO TV's don't come with universal remotes so that was no help.

In the end, we decided to keep the VIZIO sound bar because the pros out weighed the cons. My daughter will just have to get used to using different remotes to power up the TV and the sound bar.

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE it but I think I should have gotten 2.1 instead, October 19, 2013
I LOVE this sound bar. Set up was very easy. Nice sound. But if you love bass then you better purchase a sub woofer or go with the Vizio 2.1 Home Theater instead for 60 bucks more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Price worthy soundbar!!!!!, October 2, 2013
5 stars because it fits my requirement perfectly. A small living room and the sound fills room completely. No sound distortion even at high volume. Works as mentioned. Bluetooth connectivity is my wife's favorite. Simple setup. Built in bass. Highly recommended for small living rooms or bed rooms. I have paired it with my Vizio 42 inch LCD TV, works great.

Rate and Discover Movies