4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Soundbar
Published 22 months ago by Geno

Published 21 months ago by trip

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Soundbar, November 17, 2012
Geno "thomgeno" (Chula Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this soundbar from a local store after reading reviews of other Vizio soundbars. This one was just released, so I took a chance and bought it. I already own a powered subwoofer, so I have a 2.1 system for the price of a 2.0 one. It was easy to hook up and as a Radio and Audio engineer, I can say it has decent sound for the price. The remote is easy to use and the led lights on the right had edge let me know what the settings are.

I would definitely recommend this as an inexpensive audio upgrade for most 37 to 40+ inch flat panel televisions.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK sound bar. Does not work with the TV I wanted to use it with., November 29, 2012
My rating is not a response to the incompatibility with my TV, but I will start with that as others may purchase this by mistake also. I have a Panasonic Viera 3d TCLxxET5 LED TV and I have discovered (with no help from Vizio support) that my TV only outputs over optical in Dolby Digital. This sound bar cannot decode the dolby digital signal. If you want one of the new Vizio sound bars make sure to get the M model and not this E model. The M states that it can decode Dolby Digital.

I have been looking for a sound bar under $200 and without an external subwoofer. I narrowed it down to the M series model and the Yamaha YAS-100 aka ATS-1010. Since the M series was not available locally I decided to go to Target and pickup this E series as I was not going to make a decision before hearing how it sounds. Since the E series has the same speakers as the M I figured this would be the closest I could get to the M. I was hoping to go with the Vizio versus the Yamaha to save $100.

I hooked both units up to a different TV that outputted PCM which the Vizio could decode. The sound was better and louder on the Yamaha along with the bass. No surprise with the bass since the Yamaha has two dedicated subwoofers. I'm not an audiophile by any means so I can't give much more detail besides the Yamaha sounds better... enough for me to go with it over the less expensive Vizio. The Yamaha had many more features than the Vizio also such as IR transmitter, ability to learn your remote so you only need one, etc.

One of the most annoying things about the Vizio was the optical port location. It is a pain in the @*$ to plug in and take out. Of course you probably wouldn't have to do that very often, but still... poor design.

The Vizio sound bar looks better than their 200 series in my opinion but I favor the look of the M series over this.

If you are a costco member I would suggest going with the M series which they currently have on sale for $89.99... less than this.

I'm giving this two stars because I was expecting more from it. I have not listened to one of the old 40 inch 200 series sound bars but I wonder if they would sound better since they have more speakers than these new ones which only have 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves sound, but don't set your expectations too high, December 29, 2012
G.R.K. (United States) - See all my reviews
My 5.1 home theater system wasn't compatible with my new VIZIO 42" flat screen T.V. so I needed something else to improve it's anemic sound, especially when watching music channels. I obsessively looked at all the sound bar options out there and settled on this one due to a mixture of price and reviews. So far, I can say I'm pleased, but it didn't blow me away.

It sits unobtrusively in front of my T.V. It doesn't block the IR function of the T.V. It was easy to attach to the T.V. using the included cable. It cannot be programmed into your T.V.s remote. The remote has seperate volumes for bass and overall volume. This actually works nice as DW isn't crazy about alot of bass during movies.

This definitely improves the sound and makes watching Palladia a pleasure. It is not the same as the 5.1 system I had, but it is an improvement. It's good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, laughably bad design., February 21, 2013
I laughed when I saw where the optical input was located. There is no way to have the rca input and optical input connected at the same time. Furthermore, the optical input is placed in such a poor location that if often falls out when moved. I wish the product designers would have been more thoughtful when deciding where to layout the inputs, because the sound from this bar is wonderful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad optical input design!!!!!!, January 9, 2013
PSI (Boise, idaho) - See all my reviews
Optical cable does not plug into Vizio optical input due to design problem. Called Vizio to see if they have a special cable, said he thinks I need a skinny optical cable? but didn't know where I could find the cable, they didn't have any or know of any. Standard optical cable will not fit into Vizio's optical input due to placement of input. Input is placed so close to bottom shelf and butts up to component inputs. My plasma TV only has a optical output, so I either have to purchase a optical to component convertor ($35) or so how use their component inputs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, May 16, 2013
It's shocking to me that this product made it from design to testing to production without anyone saying "Wait... Maybe we should rethink this..."

First off, the placement of the optical port is baffling. After a lot of "this can't possibly be right..." thoughts, I managed to somehow wedge the cable into the port. The RCA inputs make this a near impossible feat.

Second, it straight up did not work with my TV. I selected the correct input, the TV was lighting up the optical cable, it would periodically make bizarre changes to the TV's volume so I guess there was some kind of connection... I worked with it for about half an hour and got no results.

Third, out of curiosity I plugged it directly into my PS3 and got some sound... when I say some, I mean that. At maximum volume the output was quieter than the horrible flat panel speakers built into my cheap TV. I attempted to watch an episode of Archer and couldn't understand the dialogue.

Obviously, since I got zero sound output from antenna channels or my Roku and the little sound I got from the PS3 was inaudible, I returned this piece of crap. Don't waste your time. The lack of sound from the TV and the laptop speaker-like output makes me think mine is defective, but the optical input design shows the complete lack of thought that went into this thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little surprised but superb sound and sleek design, August 4, 2013
This review is from: VIZIO SB4021E-A0 40-Inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar (Electronics)
My parents are using this Vizio sound bar with their 60 inch Sharp TV And I have to say I was really surprised at the sound quality. At first I thought this was just something to buy until you get a surroundsound system. But to be honest I could probably live with just this and don't even need the 5.1 surround sound. The volume is really good really loud never clips never has any kind of weird scratching sounds like most other sound bars I've heard it sexy great quality.

There has been one issue as of late and It is that sometimes the sound will go into a much lower almost muted sounding quality, Especially when people are talking. So when the background music comes on or a loud part of the TV show comes on it is blaring. So constantly turning the volume up and down and up and down and up and down every time the volume changes is a bit of an annoyance at this point. This is a recent problem, and I'm not sure how to fix it however I feel like there may be a short somewhere in one of the wires. However it doesn't do this all the time and hasn't become a make or break situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, August 3, 2013
Joe Parker (BAYOU LA BATRE, AL, US) - See all my reviews
Easy to setup with my tv and has great sound quality! I have enjoyed this product and recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Sound Bar, June 30, 2013
I bought this new soundbar for my Panasonic Flat screen TV as the sound output was not upto the mark. When I hooked up the Vizio it had made a big difference to viewing movies & soaps as the voice clarity is too good and no latency. Its really hard to believe the sound output is not throught the TV but the Soundbar. Worth the money .. 5***** to the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars VIZIO helpful, February 8, 2013
I received the sound bar and the box was half open in slipping. I tried to install it but it did not work, no power. I called VIZIO help support and after a few attempts to recycle it, it would still not power it up. They decided to replace it. They even sent a prepaid label to return the defective one. I received the new one in about a week and it is working perfectly. The sound is great. I would have given it a 5 if the first one worked. Kudos to VIZIO for their support.

Rate and Discover Movies