on February 26, 2011
This is a weird purchase for me, coming from being a SONY & Samsung Fanboy. This is the most outstanding 2D picture I have ever laid my eyes on, and I have seen many High-end Television sets. I almost bought a Sony XBR-HX909 for the super high reviews on its amazing 2D image. But once I saw the 3D image I was a bit thrown off by the 3D technology, after already owning a Panasonic 3D Viera which was much better. So this is what I have gathered from my total experience with the Vizio 3D HDTV:

-PROS-
+The purchased place with Amazon was better than I thought it would have been. Easy, Fast, Free Shipping, NO TAX (Tax is around $115 if you buy from a store), and perfectly cared for; Sam's Club is scary, lol.

+47 inches of "OMG! It is bigger than I thought." This set gives so much at this price, quality, and Size!!!

+The LED television is thicker, due to the 160 LEDs being directly behind the screen. This makes for better contrast that will blow your mind away!!! I have never seen this kind of true black on a set ever before. Sony sells this technology for around $3,500; yikes!

+Features, Features, Features!!! The WiFi works amazingly. The Netflix app play videos at a higher resolution than my PS3 or computer using HDMI. The WebTV programs are limited but they are great, like Revision3. There is Vudu rental, Amazon Steaming, and of course Netflix. There is Pandora and a radio app for local radio station; or any state you want.

+The best built-in speakers! The sound is out outrageous, there is simply no thin TV that can house speaker like the ones on this set. I was going to buy a 5.1 Dolby system for the room, but I only turn the volume up 20% on the Vizio. I recommend to turn Truevolume off, if causes weird volume changes. This feature is on most Televisions with different names, but always cause volume issues; much like ipod's volume settings.

+The remote is bluetooth and an amazing little device. All remotes should be like this one!!! It is universal, and automatically has the codes in the television for all devices but the PS3; due to the PS3 syncing. But the XBOX 360 is compatible! TIVO, DirectTV, etc. The keyboard is great for the apps and Facebook! Since it is bluetooth, like the PS3 Blu-ray remote, the signal is always connected, so the buttons are harder to press so you don't accidentally change channels. This is a good thing.

+Bluetooth means wireless headphones so you don't bother others who don't want to hear the TV; like my girlfriend when she is sleeping. You can buy Vizio's headsets, or any bluetooth headset you may have will work as well.

+The accessories like the Vizio Router, Bluetooth Headset, or Vizio Stereo equipment are made easy and for a great price (high ratings from CNET). The 3D Glasses are sold seperately, but only cost around $150 for two rechargeable glasses. That is about the price that SONY or Samsung sells for one Pair!!! Very Cheap for 3D!!! 2 SONY pairs will buy you 4 Vizio pairs. A lot of the other 3D TVs come with one pair, or no glasses at all.

+The Price is dead on with AWESOME!!! It is robbery!!! I payed $1500, and chose Amazon after the tax factor of buying in a store. The 480hz (really 240hz) makes 2D images amazing, and not look fake at all! Remember to turn this feature all the way to high, because it is turned off out-of-the-box.

Okay, well here is the BAD:

CONS
-There is no SD slot, but this is not a problem really. There is 3 USB ports! 3!!! I never used the SD slot on my Panasonic, it is kind of useless.

-The 3D is not like my Plasma 3D. BUT!!! The Plasma does great 3D, but not a great 2D image. 3D is a fun factor, don't take it seriously and you will be fine. The ghosting issue is present, but it is present on every 3D set I have seen but the Panasonic 3D Plasmas. The 3D can be down right horrible on the PS3 video games at times, but does okay on the movies. Remember that 3D is not a every moment thing on this set. It is used rarely and on all 3D pictures you can turn it off to 2D. I personally like the 3D and the glasses, but don't think that there will be any set better than this, other than the Plasmas. The real focus should be that the TVs 480hz (really 240hz) is used for better 3d, but really make the biggest difference on the 2D image; which is amazing!

-Size, is a bit thicker, but it is because it has to be in order to produce the images at the 10,000,000:1 Contrast. I think the set is beautiful, and my friends freak out how beautiful it is in person! So Size is nothing but a few inches difference. You should really not worry about size though, you can't see how thick the TV is, but you can tell the Image difference.

IN THE END
This Television out preforms all the Television set I have seen, even the Samsung 8000 series. It has so many features, you will feel that you just robbed Vizio of their money about $1000. The 3D is okay, but you shouldn't worry; no one will have a TV even close in quality to this one! The accessories are great, with amazing prices. You will ultimately feel that you are leagues ahead of any other TV. The black are literally black (the led turn off), the whites are bright as all hell, the color are beyond anything you know! You cannot go wrong with this purchase. I hate to say it, but Vizio converted me away from the other brands (Sony, Samsung, etc.). The Reviews from CNET are endlessly great too! This should be the happiest purchase on a Television set you will ever have. Good luck, and feel free to post extra question, I will answer back :)
4444 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2010
I just purchased this TV and I'm still in the process of doing everything with it, but I'm here to give an honest first impression. I'm actually using my computer connected to this TV to write this review and let me say that in my tiny bedroom this TV is massive. It looks great with my computer connected via RGB and there is little to no lag. I just watched KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas on the TV last night and the stream looked pretty good for what it was. The 2D picture is fantastic on this product and both my PS3 and Xbox 360 look amazing on it. The 3D needs work and I knew that coming into this TV. There is some ghosting of the image when watching 3D, but it does it's job well enough. You will definitely notice ghosting on anything other than Blu-ray 3D and titles in general. I'm not happy about it, but what can you do? I'm not using a certified 3D HDMI cable, so maybe that's an issue? I know it's a high speed HDMI cable, so it should be good enough. I did just order an Amazon High Speed 3D supported cable though to see if there is a difference. I'll update this review with my findings. I'd say the 3D is not a must for this TV, but is a cool extra. I watched a 3D Hockey game last night that was broadcast on Xfinity 3D in my area. It was pretty cool, but the ghosting is plentiful. If you don't know what I mean by ghosting, well I mean that you can see a shadow of the image behind the 3D image and it makes everything a bit blurry. The score graphic on the Hockey game looked horrible as do the static titles in most 3D cases. I would not recommend buying the 3D GLASSES, WHICH HAVE TO BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY. I bought mine at Sam's Club for about $160 and I was happy for that price. I still would caution anyone expecting perfect 3Dm which is a let down when you don't feel it's perfect after spending so much money. Vizio should really bundle at least one pair of 3d glasses, especially since the technology is not up to snuff. I tried some of the Vizio Internet Apps and the Yahoo Weather is cool, so is the Amzon Video(Thanks for the $5 video credit!) Netflix seems to work, but it as SUPER SLOW for me through wireless connection and my bars are almost full. I thought the TV froze it was so slow. Maybe being connected with Ethernet directly would change this. Anyway, here are some pros and cons, if you have any questions email me at: Doofus88@gmail.com

PROS:

-Great 2D picture
-3D option is nice
-Works well with connected computers, PS3, and Xbox 360.
-Sound is pretty good, mind you I'm in a tiny room.
-Internet Apps are nice, but Netflix seemed slow over wireless.

CONS:

-3D technology not good enough for the high price tag.
-Expensive 3D glasses that are NOT INCLUDED.

SIDE COMMENT:

I also want to comment that Amazon uses Pilot for shipping and they really suck. DON'T EXPECT YOUR TV TO BE DELIVERED ON THE DAY YOU SCHEDULE ON AMAZON. I got mine Saturday and it was supposed to be delivered Thursday. Pilot's costumer service was rude and the delivery man did not handle my TV with care. I just wanted everyone who orders to know that.
VIZIO 47-Inch Class Full HD 3D Full Array TruLED with Smart Dimming LCD HDTV 480 Hz SPS with VIZIO Internet Apps

UPDATE: 12-18-10

Just a few updates for my review here. One thing I did is add attributes for different aspects of this TV.

3D UPDATE
I got the new Amazon HDMI cable that supports 3D and is highspeed and the 3D effect is still the same. I think it works the best on Blu-Ray 3D movies. A Christmas Carol looks great and The Polar Express look really good. There still is some ghosting issues with them, although they have the least of it. I also have a PS3 and played Wipeout HD in 3D, which was ok, but still had lots of ghosting. Pacific Rift really did not look good at all in 3D though, lots of ghosting. I'm curious if it's just that those games were converted and I'll have to wait to get a game made for 3D to really get a great 3D game experience.

SOUND
When I was watching a Blu-ray on my PS3 I noticed some popping randomly during the movie. There are small, but still noticeable. I contacted Vizio and asked them what the best set up for sound through the TV would be. Their online chat is really helpful, really good service, and they told me what exactly to do. I think I still notice it sometimes, but overall I think it's gone. I will update more on this since this could be a potential problem. I think I should be able to use all the settings on for this TV. My settings for anyone if they want to know are...
Both SRS settings off.
PCM for digital output.
Audio mode: Flat

Picture
Just a small thing to nit pick about. I noticed on my Blu-Rays that they sometimes look grainy. I know it's not the TV though because all my games look perfect and no grain anywhere. I think that due to the size of the TV and now close I am, I just notice the small details of the digital transfer more. Or if the movie was shot on film, I notice the grain more. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just wanted to point that out.

I hope my updates help everyone.

****UPDATE 2: January 31st, 2011****

Just a reminder to people who read my review to read the comments on my post to see if I answer any more of your questions while talking with other people. I do also want to state I contacted Amazon once and had the TV exchanged for a new one of the same model because I was unhappy with the "backlight bleed" I was experiencing. My current TV does not have any bleed, just to update. I think it's a serious problem though, so watch out if you get this TV and see that there is a brighter spot somewhere when there is a black screen.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2011
I've been in the market for a new TV for about a year now and have been waiting patiently for a decently priced LED LCD as well as 3D. This 47" Vizio seemed to finally hit the price point and size that I was looking for, so I jumped on a pre-Super Bowl sale from a nationwide wholesaler. I picked up the TV along with a pair of the Vizio-branded 3D glasses.

A quick note before going into my review. My TV came with firmware version VIZIO_XP1.21.2.1.

I'll start out by saying that the 2D picture is absolutely amazing. The blacks are black and colors are vibrant. The TV almost doesn't need any calibration coming out of the box for those who like to tweak the picture. For those who never know any better, they should be very happy from the get-go. Thanks to the local dimming, I can see no issues of backlight bleeding/clouding/flashlighting on my set. Also due to the 160 local dimming zones, I've seen no hint of blooming on my set from my normal viewing distance of about 8'. The TV just absolutely shines with well-mastered blu-ray movies. So far I've tested Avatar and The Hangover, and both simply blow my mind with the quality present. I upgraded from a 4-year old 60hz 1080p LCD and watching blu-ray movies on this new Vizio is like experiencing HD all over again. I promise you this is not hyperbole, I'm that amazed by the clarity of the picture when being fed top-notch, non-compressed signals.

The remote feels a bit cheap but gets the job done. The slide-out keyboard is very nice for the Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) feature and works as expected. The buttons are a bit stiff though and the remote itself feels like it's prone to breakage at some point in the future.

The motion interpolation control in this TV seems to be well done, frame transitions are very smooth and, from what I can tell, introduce no artifacts or juddering. You can turn the motion control completely off if you don't like the "soap opera effect", as it's called. There are 4 settings for the motion control, "Off", "Low", "Medium", and "High". Changing between "Off" and "Low" produces the obvious intended effect, but I'm so far unable to perceive a difference between "Low", "Medium", and "High".

The Vizio Internet Apps are merely OK to me, as I already have a lot of this functionality available to me through my Playstation 3 or XBOX 360. There currently is no Youtube or Hulu support on VIA with the 3D versions of these TVs, which is a bummer. I would expect them to be added in a future firmware update though, since the 2D-only XVT line has them. The Netflix app worked OK, no issues here. For the curious, it appears to use the interface of the old PS3 disc-based Netflix app, which is sufficient but not the best out of the many UI iterations Netflix has come up with over various devices. The Facebook app seemed highly useless to me, as it seemed to require too much navigation to view the stuff I wanted. The Twitter app actually seemed quite useful and shows the latest followed tweet directly in the "tile" when bringing up the VIA interface...a nice touch. The weather app serves its purpose well and the VUDU app was actually put together nicely, although it still pales in comparison to the slick PS3 VUDU app. It does fare better in a head-to-head comparison than does the Netflix app, though. I haven't tried any of the other apps installed. All-in-all, I think the addition of VIA is a nice feature-add to the TV but not a selling point.

On to the 3D, which was the second-most feature I was looking forward to on this model. After giving it a fairly thorough testing across different types of media, I think it's just plain broken. The crosstalk/ghosting is very bad through almost all content I tried, rarely looking great enough that I would consider it "watchable". The problem seems to be with high-contrast screens, which includes almost everything you're going to watch unfortunately. I'm somewhat leaning towards the Vizio glasses being the problem, as I'm not convinced they are opaque enough when closed, but the issue could lie in any number of places. I'm tempted to be silly and try using them along with some sunglasses to see if that helps block out any extra unwanted light from each eye, but even if it did help, that's obviously not an acceptable work-around.

I've tried various 3D-enabled games, the n3D channel on DirecTV, and the free 3D demos available on VUDU. The only times I've watched something and had all forms of crosstalk disappear is with Super Stardust HD, some scenes in the Toy Story 3 trailer, and almost all of the Jim Carrey animated Christmas movie trailer (mainly due to it being mostly dark). Everything else has been bad enough to where I consider it completely unwatchable.

I had thought to try adjusting picture settings while displaying 3D content to see if I could minimize or eliminate some of the crosstalk, but Vizio locks you out of virtually ALL picture settings while in 3D mode. You only have access to color temperature and maybe one other setting, neither of which did anything to hamper the crosstalk.

*** UPDATE *** The following paragraph is from my original review. However, the recent firmware update to this TV has fixed the issue. I can now watch ESPN3D in all its glory.

Another note on this model for those with DirecTV, there is a known problem with the ESPN 3D channel not working. Vizio users who attempt to access the ESPN 3D channel are greeted with a message stating that your TV does not support 720p in 3D and are unable to view. The problem almost definitely lies with the DirecTV hardware, but as of this posting, I'm not sure they acknowledged it. Vizio is not an officially supported manufacturer with DirecTV 3D, so they aren't currently required to help you to get it working. Be warned of this.

*** END UPDATE ***

Overall, I absolutely love the 2D, but the 3D is pretty much busted. I've only had the TV for a couple of days, but I'm considering about taking it back and getting a refund. I have 90 days to make a decision, so I do plan on calling/emailing Vizio to see if the crosstalk issue can be resolved by new glasses or a firmware update. I gave my review 3 stars to split it's strengths and weaknesses down the middle. 3D is the big feature of this model and it just doesn't work as it should. If I can somehow get most of the 3D issues resolved, I'll change the review to 5 stars in a heartbeat.

Simply put, if you want to use the 3D on this set, I wouldn't consider it.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2011
I'll try and keep this brief and highlight some of the very best and very worst things about this set. I'm reviewing the XVT3D474SV.

First of all, if you're considering this vs. the 42 inch, realize that they are NOT the same TV. The 42 inch does not have the back lighting like the 47 inch does. The 47 and 55 inch Vizio units are both in the higher tier.

PROS:
-BEAUTIFUL 2D picture. Great color contrast. Remarkable blacks for an LED unit. White and colors are obviously good. Excellent sharpness, 480hz refresh rate, etc. You won't find a similar or better picture for anything less than $2,000. Animated films at 1080p look absolutely incredible - jaw dropping.
-Above average sound for a LED TV. Speakers also face forward. However, with a picture this nice, you should invest in surround sound.
-Vizio Apps are fun. Ability to stream Netflix is neat, and Vudu works great if you have a fast connection. Streaming 1080p movies for a few bucks a pop with their HDX looks GREAT.
-Qwerty remote is pretty solid, does the job.
-TV looks great out of the box. Calibration is extremely easy for some minor tweaks.
-Back lit TV with smart dimming - better than other purely edge-lit LEDs in the same $800-1,400 price range.
-This TV was $1,398 at Sam's Club as of March 2011. Might be worth shopping around for the best price.
-TV has a game mode (but read below, it doesn't make a huge difference because there is still some input lag). TV looks GREAT with Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
-I don't have any issues with light bleed/flash lighting, ghosting, halo effects, etc. From an angle with a completely dark screen, you might notice your black fading to grey a little, but this wouldn't be your normal viewing angle. You also notice some when you turn on the TV right when it starts up, but I've heard the smart dimming does not cut on until the set actually gets beyond the initial start-up screen.

CONS:
-I have not tried the 3D on this TV and hear it isn't the greatest. However, I don't know that there are many TVs that do great 3D (plasmas are the best) and there still isn't a lot of content in 3D. I bought this TV for the great 2D picture. The features on this TV that help produce a 3D image (480hz, etc.) also do wonders for the 2D mentioned earlier.
-DirecTV remote has trouble syncing with this TV and most Vizio TVs. Not a huge deal, just cut them on one at a time.
-Screen is not 100% matte, so there is a tiny bit of glare. However, it isn't as pronounced as with some other brands. The frame itself is also a little more clunky than a lot of stuff that is coming out this year, and the TV is thicker than most LEDs (because of the back lighting). I'd consider this a non-issue unless you really care about having a picture frame TV hung on the wall.
-Input lag - almost all LEDs will have some input lag. As compared to my older Panasonic Plasma (which had no input lag), I notice a tiny bit of lag with games like Black Ops. However, it's still completely playable and shouldn't really affect your gaming. I'm very picky and really notice this stuff so I don't think this should be an issue for 99% of gamers.

Overall, I'd give this TV a 4.5 out of 5. If they removed the input lag and got a slightly sleeker frame/base, then I think this TV would be a 5 for me. Don't buy this TV for the 3D, buy it for the BEST 2d picture you can find for under $2,000. GREAT TV.

FYI, I bought a 50 inch Samsung UN50C8000 Plasma, which had some great reviews. Did not find the colors to be very good, pictures did not pop, sound was terrible. Blacks weren't black, white's were dull. Exchanged the Samsung and got the Vizio. True TV love.

UPDATE: June 7, 2011
TV is still going strong, picture still looking great. I've done plenty of gaming on the XBOX 360 and PS3, and the input lag I mentioned earlier in the post is no longer an issue - I guess I quickly adjusted. Still haven't tried 3D. No regrets about the purchase and would still recommend this set. Never see any light bleed common on some other cheaper LED sets.

UPDATE: August 9, 2011
Still loving this TV. I have to say, the price has come down considerably on Amazon and also at Sam's Club. I have watched a large number of blu-rays recently, and have to say that they are simply wonderful on the TV. Still no issues or malfunctions.

UPDATE: July 9, 2012
Might as well provide another update, huh? I still think this TV is just wonderful and can compete with any $1,500 or less 2d picture. The TV has mysteriously turned itself off 2-3 times over the last year, but I turned it back on. I guess there isn't a real problem there? Who knows. Not a big deal for now. There are definitely better 3d products on the market now, in summer of 2012. Still love the TV, no buyer's remorse here.

UPDATE: August 13, 2012
The Vizio died on me. Still investigating repair options, but regardless of the outcome I am 100% not happy about the TV giving out after 1.5 years of use. The warranty expired several months ago and Vizio Support has no obligation or interest in doing anything to help me out here. Overall, I guess I should have bought the extended warranty. I've lowered the review on this TV to 2 stars because of my new perception of low quality. Why even give it the 2nd star? Well, it was a great TV while it lasted, and I guess I wouldn't be out a TV or $ to fix it had I purchased some extended warranty.

UPDATE: September 7, 2012
Got the TV fixed a few weeks ago. It's working now and at this point I'm just praying that it doesn't quit on me again over the next 1-2 years. Everything back to normal, cost to fix was $299. Any more and I probably would have just purchased a new TV. So, once again, I've got a great TV that I also consider a ticking time bomb due to lack of quality internal construction. When I buy my next TV, it won't be a Vizio, regardless of how pretty the picture is.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2011
I just bought this TV about a week and a half ago and so far I absolutely love it! The picture quality is AMAZING!! It is very crisp and clear and real looking! The TV itself is beautiful and sleek. We have had no issues with the TV turning itself off or on, everything has worked almost perfectly.

The only problem I've experienced with it happened about a day after coming out of the box, the picture on the screen would flash off for a half second about every 10-20 seconds. The TV itself didn't turn off and the sound would still play, it was just the picture on the screen that would flash off and on. And it would do it no matter what we were playing on the TV: cable, PS3, or DVD player. We purchased the TV from Sam's Club so I called their tech support first as I've heard Vizio's can be a little aggravating. We first tried a power reset of the TV, unplugging it and holding down the power button for 30 seconds, but the problem persisted. Then we restored everything to factory settings, as if we had just taken it out of the box. Since we hadn't had the TV long we didn't lose many settings and the problem seems to have gone away. It's been about a week and everything has been great since! There's no telling why that happened, they said that TV's these days are more like computers and sometimes they just glitch and need to be reset. This is why I took away a star.

The internet apps work perfectly and set up was fast and easy, both times. I could even figure out the wiring even though I have NO experience in that. The remote is simple to use, though it does look a little cheap. I personally haven't had any issues with the QWERTY keypad, as some have mentioned it's a little awkward, but I have skinny fingers. It synched perfectly with my cable box and audio receiver, I didn't have to look up any codes it already had them.

There is no glare on the screen and we have a living room full of windows. I am also a gamer and I can tell you I am ASTOUNDED at how great the PS3 looks on this TV!

I haven't tried out the 3D but I really didn't buy it for that. This TV had the best reviews I could find anywhere for 2D picture and overall quality and I was willing to spend the extra money for a television I knew would look great and last me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2011
PROS:
-- TV Picture is really excellent
-- Vizio Apps seem well thought out
-- Netflix streaming picture quality is astonishingly good
-- Vizio's customer support is outstanding
-- Surprisingly good sound from internal speakers
-- Amazon price was excellent
-- toggle "wheel" function on remote is excellent and slide out keyboard is a bonus

CONS:
-- Some initial issues required resetting TV
-- Screen has a moderately high amount of reflection
-- transport buttons on remote (pause, play, stop, FF, RW, etc.) are way too small
-- remote not lit at all, bring a flashlight
-- would not wirelessly connect with my Cisco M-20 Valet Plus router

My Setup: I bought this along with an Onkyo TX-NR809 A/V receiver so the only cable (currently) connected to my Vizio TV is an HDMI cable from my receiver. It looks as if I will need to connect an RCA (or other audio) cable from the TV back to my receiver to enable sound from the apps (like Netflix) to run through my receiver and external speakers.

The TV seemed to work fine out of the box, but I bypassed the initial setup as I wanted to temporarily hook it up directly to my cable box to ensure the TV worked okay. When I re-wired everything through my new receiver, the TV malfunctioned repeatedly by shutting down after about 10 seconds (picture came on, froze, then TV shut off). I had read one other review about this problem and feared that my TV was doomed, but a call to Vizio (a live tech answered within about 15 seconds!) walked me through the reset process and the TV has since worked fine.

My biggest, unresolved (though bypassed) problem was that I couldn't get the Vizio TV to connect with my Cisco M-20 Valet Plus wireless router in order to access the Internet apps (like Netflix). Vizio tech support couldn't find a solution and suggested I re-work the passcode/security settings on my router and all my wireless devices, but I felt that was an unreasonable option considering all other devices I own connect without a problem. What I did, instead, was hook up a Netgear WiFi Range Extender (WN3000RP) which I had recently purchased because my wireless signal where my TV is located was on the weak side, anyway. This Netgear range extender just happens to have a Ethernet port outlet so I connected the out from the Netgear extender to the Ethernet input on my Vizio -- creating a suitable workaround (and making it a "wired" connection instead of wireless). The Netgear Extender also gives me a 5-bar signal strength where, previously, I only had a 3-bar signal. I still believe the wireless connection problem originates with the Vizio, but others haven't mentioned it so I'm guessing it is either that my specific router doesn't play well with Vizio's software or there's something odd about my security code which the Vizio software doesn't like.

The picture is quite amazing (I don't even have a HD source hooked up, but my receiver upscales all video to the Vizio which, itself, has similar upscaling software that my receiver bypasses) on DVD's and on Netflix streaming. The only issues I have noticed so far are some dashed lines at the top of some channels which can be fixed in the Video Settings tab by adjusting the default screen from "Standard" to "Wide" which, I believe, creates a very slight -- but unnoticeable -- overscan. The other thing I noticed was that some movies had a subtle "surreal and unnatural" look to them and an Internet search alerted me to the fact that most LED HDTV's have software that interpolates the motion giving movies what is often called a "soap opera effect". I was able to eliminate that after going into the Video settings and changing the "Smooth Motion" settings to "Off" or to "Low" (default is Medium). Note that the TV settings are not universal when you change them, but separate for each input source (which makes sense if you think about it as you don't want to have to keep changing the setting every time you switch from Netflix, to DVD, to game, to cable, etc.).

This is still quite new and I'm still getting used to it, but I wanted to share this information in an attempt to help others who run into similar issues or are concerned about some of the critical reviews referencing the issues I mentioned.

For additional peace of mind, remember to pay with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty and you'll be covered for two years instead of the manufacturer's one-year warranty.

I will try to update with any other issues or discoveries I make -- but so far, I'm REALLY, REALLY happy with this purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2011
Received the set about 2 weeks ago. I paired the TV with an Onkyo AVR and Infinity Entra Point Five 5.1 system. I'm mostly commenting on the video since I have my AVR doing all the audio.

Setup was pretty easy. Had all the necessary cables (Monoprice). Using the AVR to up-convert all signals to 1080P. I have one cable going from the AVR to the TV. My XBox is the older model so I have to use the component connection along w/ a Toslink digital cable to the AVR. Xbox looks AWESOME. The set handles DVD, Netflix and gaming all very well. In some dark scenes I got some pixelation on the DVD Takers. It happened once. Other 2 DVD movies I've watched I did not notice pixelation. I think after I tweaked settings on both the TV and the AVR everything was fixed. I'm sure as the days go by and I tweak more it'll get to exactly where I want it. I played both Forza 4 and Gears of War 2 and they were beyond my expectations. Amazing is all I can say. I saw no lag or noise while I was fully immersed in big battle scenes in Gears. The game is pretty dark but I can't recall seeing pixelation. Playing Forza was a whole new experience. The vistas and the tracks just look perfect.

I have DirecTV as my sat provider. HD signals look fantastic. Game of Thrones looks like a friggin DVD! Standard def TV looks great too since the AVR is doing the up-conversion but the TV handles the 1080p signals flawlessly. I watched the NBA Finals and the NHL finals and the TV does the high speed action with ease. No blur whatsoever. I guess the 480hz refresh is doing its' job! I've seen some edge-lit LED and they just do not pop like the full array LED does.

I also have an AppleTV hooked up and it too looks great. Again here the AVR is converting the 720p signals to 1080p and the TV handles it all in stride. Using Airplay to watch my iPhone vids is really cool. The vids look really good and no matter how crappy my vids are the quality of the video is perfect and there is no motion blur at all.

Problem areas? There are a few. No deal breakers for me though. The TV does 3D using active tech. Although I have not yet tested this out (no 3d component yet). Most sets going out nowadays are of the passive type. This basically means that the glasses do most of the work and are therefore more expensive. Again this is not a deal breaker for me because I did not intend to use the 3d capabilities of the set.
VIA apps are OK. They are really sluggish and Pandora seems to hang quite a bit so I use the network capabilites of my AVR to play Pandora. Netflix is pretty good but I use the XBox for that. The Yahoo! weather app is OK. Flickr is OK. I just don't see myself using those all that much until they mature a bit. Anyways with my Xbox, AppleTv and AVR all having network capabilities I'd rather use those.

So using this TV basically as a giant monitor it does the job hands down. I looked into the Samsungs, Sonys, and LG's but they did not measure up in the specs with regard to refresh rate and full array LED for this price range. Simple as that. When you look for a set try to future-proof it and buy as much specs as you can. I'll expect to have this set for at least 6 years. Don't be afraid to buy a Vizio. They are now a player with the other Big 3!

PS. One big concern I had was the reflectivity of the screen. My living room is very well lit with light sources to the left and behind is the walkway to the kitchen. My previous RPT was like a mirror. When I installed the Vizio I do get a little reflection from behind but not enough for it to be an issue. I'd say my setup is probably as bad as you can have it with regards to glare for Tv's. With that said this Vizio is fine in the glare department.
on September 21, 2011
Update 2 (9/26): Unfortunately, this TV is not at all compatible with my PS3. It seems that when there's too much action and brightness going on in the screen, the TV's refresh rate is simply incompatible and causes the flicker to black happen. I have tried EVERYTHING and crossed off every possible variable (hdmi cables, network cables, TV settings, etc). It simply doesn't work. I can reduce the chances of it happening to about once every hour, but for a $1000 purchase, I simply won't accept that. And as luck would have it, only certain PS3's have this problem.

That being said, this TV -is- good for the price; there's nothing wrong with my set. It simply cannot serve my purposes, nor the purposes of other PS3 owners out there.

Lowering review to 3 stars.

I was hesitant to make this buy since it would be my first major purchase, online no less. I really wanted to get the most bang out of my buck. I use this set mainly to watch Netflix/TV and to play on my PS3. I have NOT tested the 3d yet. (Good 3d is not a dealbreaker for me, but judging from other reviews, this set's 3d seems to be just fine)

The good:
- Picture quality is EXCELLENT. I've seen the Sony Bravia LED's, Samsung LED's and Panasonic plasma's in action, and this is on par with that picture quality, if not nearly the same. The only notice-able difference is that it doesn't handle glare quite as well, but I'm not going to dock too many points from that since the picture is simply outstanding (and the settings to adjust for this are available). This TV does wonders for your Netflix/Hulu picture quality (watching Iron Man 2 on Netflix was at least DVD quality, if not better). The PS3 has these built in, but using the TV versus using the PS3 to watch creates a quality difference worlds apart. You're paying $500-$1000 less for nearly the same picture and same features; to me, that spells a really good buy.

- Full LED is impressive. I've been hooked ever since I saw the LED technology mature in recent years, and this set incorporates all the good things about it. Great black levels, no overheating, etc.

- Simple and accessible. Set-up is really simple to follow, yet comprehensive enough for those who want to take the time to calibrate their TV's perfectly. You also really can't go wrong with 5 hdmi ports, a component and composite input, a PC/Mac input, a digital audio output and an RCA audio output. It has everything you would need to build a good theater system.

- Cost: I've done a TON of research. At this size, this is the only LED-LCD set that is under the $1000 range. This set even beats out some 42" sets from other brands, and doesn't even include 3d. The other comparable item to this in terms of size, cost and picture quality would be some of the Panasonic plasmas. If you're more a fan of plasmas, feel free to go for those -- they're really good as well.

The bad:

- Choices of apps are lackluster. I'd imagine you would use Apple TV/Roku if you had it over the ones that are included in this TV. But, it does include the essentials: Hulu Plus, Vudu, Netflix and Facebook/Twitter. Here's to hoping they add YouTube soon. This set uses Yahoo TV widgets as a source of apps, by the way.

- Randomly blacks out: This may be the ultimate dealbreaker for me at the moment; testing it out within the remaining days of my 30 day window to see if it still happens. When playing on my PS3, the screen has randomly blacked out for a few seconds before coming on again. This would be more tolerable except for some games, a disruption like this is really unacceptable. I've researched this online and apparently the problem lies in the Adaptive Luma advanced TV setting. Turning this off will force your TV to not adjust to the room lighting: given that video games have a wider spectrum in terms of brightness and color than most movies. I'd imagine this solved the problem. I'm stress-testing the TV for the next few days/weeks to check if it still happens, and will be updating this review if it does.

- Sub-par audio: Definitely better than some of the other stock audio out there, but still not within my acceptable range. It's fine for most TV shows and movies, but when you get into the games or action movies, you'll notice the difference. I recommend turning off surround sound and volume control when playing video games, since the TV's smart audio system is not smart enough for that. Better yet, invest in a good soundbar/audio system.

Bottom line: Absolutely great set for the dollar value. There are some noticeable problems but not enough to outweigh the benefits of the set (except for that one pending dealbreaker). Unless you have the money to spend or can wait until the next cycle of TV's roll around, you'd have a difficult time to find a deal better than this. (I'd be surprised if there are Black Friday deals that offer a set with the same size/features much cheaper than this price point)

I recommend giving this set at least a try by ordering it from Amazon; Amazon is a great shipper and you'll have the peace of mind to freely test this baby out for 30 days. Good luck with your future purchase.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2011
After reading reviews here and on Cnet, I was driven, consumed, and unfulfilled until I bought the Vizio XVT3D474SV. About six months ago we bought a refurb Vizio 720p 32" screen for the bedroom, and it has performed great, for it's intended purpose.
I ordered the XVT3D474SV after a very close comparison to a popular LG model with passive 3D and the Wii type remote. The Vizio is active 3D, and comes with no glasses.

I have spent literally hours viewing sets at BB, Sammy's, Wally World, and Sears. Wally World sells Vizio, BB does not, and Sears doesn't stock them here but you can order from a limited selection of models. Wally World and Sammy's carry certain models only.Now here goes my rant...........

I have a Panasonic Plasma that I love, and up until the day this Vizio arrived, in my humble opinion, it was the most rich, vibrant image I had ever seen in a Telly.

The setup of the XVT3D474SV was so easy and complete, I could have done it with half my brain tied behind my back! They offer a guided setup that covers every aspect except the fine tuning that we all like to tweak with. It found my wireless network and connected with ease. Part of the guide sets up the Bluetooth remote for you, and with the touch of a button, the remote was programmed to operate my cable box, something I particularly liked.

After setup, I powered up the cable box, it was on an HD movie channel, and I nearly soiled my trousers. The image from this LCD, full array LED set blew the socks off my plasma, and is better than any Samsung, Sony, or LG set I have seen at any price, including the sets that go for three grand.

You can tweak the settings to your personal liking, but you will find crisp, clear, vibrant video that will mak you wonder if Amazon made a mistake and left a leading 1 off the price. Not just a bargain, a downright steal.

Have not tried the 3D yet, but from the reviews, it is very decent. Most people do not watch a lot of 3D, so average performance will be fine with me. i truly expect the 3D to be something to rant about also, and will once we pick a 3D Blu-Ray, and some active shutter glasses.

Vizio is supposed to release a replacement for this set in October, but a s with all new models, the bang for the buck cannot be beat, even if the set shines above the XVT3D474SV.

Get one of these before they are gone. I defy you to find any other set at the $950 price point that is even close to the picture quality of this model. One step further, you cannot find a $1,500 set that provides the viewing experience I am talking about here.
If I had it to do over, I would have bought the 55" model, it is similarly discounted, but you pay for the extra screen size.

The full array LED is not on the 42" model, it is edge-lit, and I believe the refresh is 120. Probably not a bad set, but the 47" and up models are full array LED, which means the LED banks go throughout the screen for more accurate correction of inherent flaws in LCD screens relative to brightness errors, and deeper colors. Also, I have seen many LED sets with a 120 hz refresh that still suffer from motion blur, like in sporting events and fast action scenes. My Vizio advertises a 480hz refresh rate, which I believe is truly a 240hz with interpolation to 480. There is absolutely no motion blur on this set, just like the plasma sets, as this motion blur thing is another inherent flaw in the LCD type HD television.

Buy a 47" or the corresponding 55" model, and buy it from Amazon. I ordered on Tuesday and it was on my doorstep Thursday, at a price that is fantastic.

I am not an electronics expert who knows all the terms dealing with flat screens, LCD vs. plasma, optimal refresh rates, hue, color saturation and the like, but I am anal about reading every review I can find, and I spent a lot of time studying the images of LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Philips, Toshiba, and the Vizio models for sale locally.

OK, my ranting and raving is over for now. They could have made the widgets for Netflix, Vudu and the like full screen, but I can deal with it. I have never heard good audio from built in speakers inside any flat screen, and the audio here is average. Those two issues are the only downsides I can come up with, the audio I can fix, just like you have to do with any brand and model at any price, and I can live with the Netflix and Vudu widgets being. 1/3 screen instead of full screen although the Vudu does go full screen after you make a keystroke with the cool Vizio Bluetooth remote. Netflix has crap for movie selections anyway, so I do not use it much.
on May 18, 2011
We ordered the Vizio through Amazon just as we did our Samsung a year earlier. All went perfectly which is way above my expectations. We had Directv bring over a cable to feed it HD and Voila!, worked and continues to work perfectly. The picture is second to none (we haven't tried the 3D yet so no comments regarding that, and actually don't care that much). In 2D this thing will knock your eyes out (in a good way).

Believe it or not, the TV sound is great. It's twice the sound quality of my Samsung. It's perfect for anyone who doesn't necessarily want an additional sound system. I've only had it up to about 30%, but that's very loud for us.

The widgets start-up is slower than molasses, but I think that's a function of most TVs in general. Once they load up, they're very responsive and easy to use. We called Vizio customer service...they spoke American English and were patient and courteous; terrific, they helped us get the widgets started.

We did use the price matching service offered by Amazon and again, they did exactly what they said they would do.

After a few months of owning this TV, I have only compliments and strongly recommend Vizio. Now if only that Sony Wega in the bedroom would die....

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations